Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Division by Ubisoft

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, doesn't sound much like natural players, but still not vo.

Azazel

Arbiter
Oh look, another thread where I can shit on Ubisoft. What a week.

" I think we're shooting for 30fps because it's a trade-off, right? Graphical fidelity and immersion are more important to us than the frame rate. If we go for [60fps], we'll have to make a trade-off on fidelity and other things. But because we want to have very, very complex destruction and extremely detailed environments; a complete weather system, full day/night cycle...at some point you have to make up your mind: where do you invest? And for us, it's going to be 30fps".

Game is DOA.

:kingcomrade:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Oh look, another thread where I can shit on Ubisoft. What a week.

" I think we're shooting for 30fps because it's a trade-off, right? Graphical fidelity and immersion are more important to us than the frame rate. If we go for [60fps], we'll have to make a trade-off on fidelity and other things. But because we want to have very, very complex destruction and extremely detailed environments; a complete weather system, full day/night cycle...at some point you have to make up your mind: where do you invest? And for us, it's going to be 30fps".

Game is DOA.

:kingcomrade:

Why are these assholes content with 30 FPS?

So much for next-gen.

Azazel

Arbiter
The hardware in the PS4 / Xbone, which would have been mid-range five years ago, cannot perform advanced graphical gymnastics AND push 60fps. Since these consoles are straight up small form factor PC's, they completely lack the performance benefits you could squeeze out of the custom architectures of their predecessors.

Specialized hardware design was the only benefit to console development all the way back to the 1990's. This generation has made the form factor entirely irrelevant and their existence is making many developers very frustrated, as they are being told by the suits at the top (who haven't played a game since the NES at best) to deliver high-end PC graphics on what is barely an entry-level PC.

Dexter

Arcane
http://whatifgaming.com/the-division-developer-insider-we-already-downgraded-a-few-things
The Division Developer Insider: “We Already Downgraded A Few Things”

We will not reveal our source dev (whose employment we confirmed and vowed we would not reveal the identity of) but the info should be taken with a grain of salt as a result. Today, I have the ultimate displeasure to inform the public that apparently the E3 demo of The Division was running on a PC and will be downgraded overall. Developers often overshoot for the moon and end up delivering next to nothing in terms of the visual garbage that the final retail copies end up becoming (Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls II in comparison to their non-downgraded counterparts). This sort of false advertising and marketing absolutely has to stop. It is a vile and dementedly sick way of companies to make money off of people who obviously preorder because the game is visually impressive. Yes – some may claim “gameplay weighs in more” but this is arguable.

He tells us the following:

We really loved the reception to the demo we showed on the PC version at E3. Currently as it stands, there is definitely a lot of push coming from publishers to not make the experience so different on consoles as to alienate people into thinking that next generation is not as powerful as PC. This is probably what happened at Ubisoft Montreal. I think that while making stability changes is definitely important, it does not completely obliterate a lot of enhanced rendering applications.

Right now we already took out quite a lot of screen space reflections from the game and are working on asset management the best we can given consoles have that great unified memory. Naturally we will also be using online servers and have to produce a synchronization that higher graphics add to the latency so it had to be turned down. To me it still looks good, but not as good as the original reveal. I am sure as we get closer to launch and the actual console versions of the game featuring SD (Snowdrop) that it will start to seem all too obvious to people especially those on PCs. I just wanted to write and let you know that it definitely is not just stability but marketing politics plays into this a lot as well.

UPDATED 2nd Response from The Division Developer: Truth be told in regards to your question that while ‘Yes’ the lead platform is the PC, we simply cannot have such a big gap. As you know when the first WATCH DOGS Review was published by that one site, Ubisoft called it a “false review” and I am sure everyone can see how bad that sounded when they saw the game did look marginally better than something that was a last generation GTA IV. But no, they will not admit that they practice this or actively downgrade a game. It is much easier to say they removed things for stability which is often a lie as you can tell by the post-issues which are expected in any production we do.

Also to answer your 3rd question, no…they will never fully disclose what was removed from what build as no laws ask them to do so in terms of consumer rights. If we as developers published that information in very real terms for the consumer such as “Replaced particle fog simulation with 2d layer simulation in 3d space, removed particles from all explosions, lowered explosion volume multiplier by 20x, removed X # of trees and civilians, etc.” we would be out of a lot of sales and probably it would actually require too much time to deliver on the current hype that a lot of downgraded games see which look incredible with a vertical slice. I do share this in the hope’s that my colleagues and publishers and a lot of people who make false promises and do demonstrations which wrongfully create too much hype that they cannot deliver on ultimately stop doing such things. I want to see the industry actually move forward and not be so full of itself by promising too much and delivering too little. Regards

Our insider who is currently in the graphics technical division at Ubisoft Massive in Sweden contacted us because he too is sick of the practices that a company like Ubisoft has become all too known for. If Ubisoft denies downgrades have not happened and uses the lame excuse that “it is for the gamers and stability we did what we did” then there is certainly no reason for the PC/console parity to exist because currently the downgraded Watch Dogs runs sub-par still which is an utter joke. Everyone knows “next generation” currently as it stands is utter marketing BS. Of course, a lot of the uneducated folks out there feel this is more. Next gen, means next gen! If this is the case, PC raw throughput has the greatest power of any console despite having lower development focus (due to piracy). Essentially if it is not obvious by now: Next Gen has diminished any chances of making graphics leaps for the marketers to make more money on “next-gen” until the next next-gen comes out. It is a great marketing hype that is all too common in the gaming industry.

Bottom line: Publishers and developers – stop lying and rely on actual gameplay that is close to the real thing to do your marketing for you. And if you did remove a lot of features that affected the stability of the game, make sure to release a full disclosure of what this is before the game comes out. Oh wait…but then you would not see as many sales. Tsk tsk.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Delayed AGAIN: http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/12/8593651/the-division-rainbow-six-siege-delayed

Tom Clancy's The Division has been delayed into next year, according to a Ubisoft financial earnings call today.

The Division is now slated for Q4 of 2016's financial year, which extends from January to March.

"It is never an easy decision to move launch dates, but we are committed to make decisions that will benefit the players," said CEO Yves Guillemot. "As I said in my introduction, this is our most important driver as it has always benefitted the company in the long run."

Ubisoft's financial year 2016 lineup also includes "another triple-A title" that has not yet been announced. When asked about whether or not the game was a new IP, Guillemot declined to comment.

Announced at E3 2013, open-world role-playing game The Division was previously slated to launch for PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One this year. Just this month, Ubisoft said that it was bringing on additional development help from the team behind Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell multiplayer, Ubisoft Annecy.

"Those games take more time to be completed," Guillemot said. "We want to make sure we have enough feedback from consumers from alpha and betas to polish it as much as possible before the launch so it comes to the market with the best experience possible. We expect less sales in the financial year than if it would have been launched in the Christmas season, but over the whole, we expect as much sales over its lifespan."

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It keeps happening, I guess.

HImaAXk.jpg

Executr

Cipher
For those interested:

24375277446_a4b9497714_z.jpg

Pre-order will get you in. No surprises here. You can try your luck signing in the link provided.
M$ continues to innovate, now buying one day early exclusive deal for a beta. ffs

Gerrard

Arcane
Based on what I've read I foresee a bright future ahead for this game. Burning.

Also for lulz
https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivisio...stion_there_better_be_anticheat_in_the_final/
Everything from ammo count, level XP, Dark Zone currency, player speed are all CLIENT trusted, and take time to sync via server time.

> DON'T CANCEL YOUR PREORDER YET.
> This is a BETA, the game doesn't release until another month, Massive and Ubisoft can easily fix this upon release or in a later patch

I beg to differ. People should most definitely cancel their preorder until they know this is fixed. There's no point in owning the game if it's not, and Ubisoft needs to know there is real pressure to fix it ASAP.

Hell, Ubisoft banned me from their Twitch for 8 hours for saying I cancelled my preorder until I know this is resolved. I wasn't obscene, I wasn't rude, I didn't say it more than once. I was just an honest concerned fan of the game. That makes me think they'd rather sweep it under the rug. (EDIT: Someone said they didn't think Miisty worked for Ubi. I don't actually know, people were just talking to her as if she was someone important. But I don't want to blame Ubi if it's not their fault.)

Last edited:

Direwolf

Arcane
Every single gameplay video I've seen recently the game looks and plays like shit.
Fucking Gears of War with bullet sponge enemies.

typical user

Arbiter
I played the "beta". It's more like demo but beta is such a cute buzzword. People really think Ubisoft will fix all design problem in 5 weeks. I also saw a vendor in Base of Operation which will probably have stuff from preorders. Unless you can retrieve some rewards for completing mission branches but still it's Ubisoft we are talking about.

Every single gameplay video I've seen recently the game looks and plays like shit.
Fucking Gears of War with bullet sponge enemies.

If it were isometric, you people wouldn't brag about it. It is slightly bullet-spongy if you fight with NPCs on your level. PvP could use some adjustments. It feels like no matter the DPS you will deal same amount of damage to other players which means emptying two clips to bring them down to bleeding state.

I actually enjoyed playing that game until I realised it is running simulator. Shows promise for an "ok kinda" rating unless someone fucks it up with paid DLCs or not fixing client-sided data which is very likely. Ubisoft is saying those hacks are just "glitches" and you can't cheat, kek.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, apparently it took them 3+ years to come up with a shitty PvP system you could find slapped in at the last moment in a typical open world MMO. This game will be dead within a month.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A dev actually said in an interview that they had to 'tone down' the PC version because otherwise it would be 'unfair' to console owners :lol:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-d...-to-push-it-far-away-from-them/#disqus_thread

We’ve already said that The Division – based on its closed beta build – has been slightly downgraded from its E3 tech demos. And according to an Ubisoft developer, the PC version – while looking better than the console versions – does not push the graphical envelope so that it can stay close to the console version.

As the developer revealed in an interview with Team Epiphany:

“One good thing about The Division is we’ve always considered the PC as a separate platform. We do have to keep it in check with the consoles; it would be kind of unfair to push it so far away from them. But it’s been good having a dedicated PC build for this game.”

The developer concluded that he’s ‘really happy that we’re pushing the PC build as much as we are; there’s a lot more customized options than the console.’

This falls in line with everything we’ve witnessed so far. While the PC version of The Division demands high-end hardware in order to be enjoyed, it does not come close to the E3 demos because Ubisoft did not want to push that particular version so far away from the console version.

This basically explains why a number of the game’s effects have been toned down, as we’ve already pointed out in our previous The Division article.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom