Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Okay, I got the idea
mTwFXIY.jpeg

Elttharion

Learned
It's crazy how Larian eclipsed BioWare in every way possible.

They even have bear romances when all BioWare could offer was some dude with bull horns.

And Sera, which is worse.

Larian would never stoop to creating a character like Sera. Even their cringe is at a higher level than Bioware's.
Remind me why sera was so bad, please? It's been a while since I played this monstrosity of a game.

This game was already terrible in 2014 but it managed to age like milk. Everything in this scene looks absolutely horrendous and soulless. In a better world CDPR would have launched Twitcher 3 in its planned release date and Bioware would already be a dead studio (more than they are now). It would have been something similar to Starfield and BG3. You may hate the Witcher 3, I am not a big fan myself, but even normies would have trashed this game if they had released close to each other. Oh well, another reason to hate CDPR.

I wouldn't blame CDRed for what's happening with Bioware and their games. Firstly, because Witcher 3 was simply much better, and the creator cannot be blamed for being better. Even the mindless flailing in this game was better than anything Bioware came up with for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Secondly, if you read Tevinter Nights you will understand how simply bad writers are employees of this company. Yes, Gaider wrote better and smarter! When he did move away, the worst of their writing team came to the surface.

I think you misunderstood me friend, I meant that in the eyes of the general public Twitcher 3 is so much better than DAI that if they had competed with each other by releasing at similar dates Bioware would not have survived. Bioware is only alive because they had a few months were this game had minimal/zero mainstream competition in the RPG space, there is a reason that once The Witcher 3 launched the general opinion on DAI completely soured.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

They even have bear romances when all BioWare could offer was some dude with bull horns.

Larian would never stoop to creating a character like Sera. Even their cringe is at a higher level than Bioware's.
Remind me why sera was so bad, please? It's been a while since I played this monstrosity of a game.

This game was already terrible in 2014 but it managed to age like milk. Everything in this scene looks absolutely horrendous and soulless. In a better world CDPR would have launched Twitcher 3 in its planned release date and Bioware would already be a dead studio (more than they are now). It would have been something similar to Starfield and BG3. You may hate the Witcher 3, I am not a big fan myself, but even normies would have trashed this game if they had released close to each other. Oh well, another reason to hate CDPR.

I wouldn't blame CDRed for what's happening with Bioware and their games. Firstly, because Witcher 3 was simply much better, and the creator cannot be blamed for being better. Even the mindless flailing in this game was better than anything Bioware came up with for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Secondly, if you read Tevinter Nights you will understand how simply bad writers are employees of this company. Yes, Gaider wrote better and smarter! When he did move away, the worst of their writing team came to the surface.

I think you misunderstood me friend, I meant that in the eyes of the general public Twitcher 3 is so much better than DAI that if they had competed with each other by releasing at similar dates Bioware would not have survived. Bioware is only alive because they had a few months were this game had minimal/zero mainstream competition in the RPG space, there is a reason that once The Witcher 3 launched the general opinion on DAI completely soured.

Ah, yes, I see it now. You're right.

9ted6

Educated

I've always found it ironic that in many ways Twitcher 3 is as bad as Inquisition. The gameplay's more fun which can save it for most people, especially normie audiences, but it's got fetch quest grinding and the writing is terrible. It's woke and nonsensical but it doesn't have Sera so it is technically better.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Witcher 3 is not as bad as Inquisition.

Hearts of Stone DLC itself, which brings Witcher back to the short story days, with lots of C&C and reactions even in the base game if you start it then, plus a great story, etc. already puts it above inquisition. Witcher 3 side quests are the most overrated things in gaming, but at least they add narrative to most of them, unlike Inquisition. Then you have world/lore destruction, which Inquisition does across the entire game while Witcher still stays true to what it is mostly. It's shit, but Inquisition loses points. Additionally, Inquisition has a problem worse than even Witcher 2 had. Witcher 2 tried to be an action game but still had hangups. As mindnumbing as Witcher 3 combat was, it did it's job for what they wanted. Inquisition "tried" to be good for both the "tactical" players and actions players, making it worse for all. All of this is compounded by the length of both games.

Witcher 3 has very high points, as rare as they are. Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't have a single one. Then, Witcher 3s shit parts are still on another dimension compared to Inquisitions shit parts. There's no comparison here. Anyone who finds a single positive note in Inquisition seriously has something wrong in their brain. Witcher 3 does their shit at a high enough quality that it's at least understandable why midwits get tricked by it.

Last edited:

Rudra

Literate
I actually really did like my time with Inquisition. It's no Origins, but there's good in there. Depends on if you're willing to wade through some meaningless, boring fluff every now and then though.

9ted6

Educated
Witcher 3 is not as bad as Inquisition.
I think they're both irredeemably shit but I will say that I can at least understand why Witcher 3 has some appeal. Can't say the same for Shitquisition. Besides maybe the music I can't think of a single thing that even comes close to being good about it.

Elttharion

Learned
Unironically the only thing I remember liking in Inquisition was the name of some of the main quests.

What Pride Had Wrought, In Your Heart Shall Burn, Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts, Here Lies the Abyss.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Only one- the landscapes are nice.
Ask any 8 year old to describe a fantasy landscape, have a designer next to them, and you will get inquisition. There is nothing unique, there is nothing technically sound about it (infact, from a gameplay perspective, the landscapes are horrendous), so other than looking "cool and shiny" to the midwit mind, you have nothing.

Besides maybe the music I can't think of a single thing that even comes close to being good about it.
This is what I hear for many truly shit games with high production value (Gothic 3, Mass Effect 2/3, Witcher 3, etc.). Music in RPGs has to be treated as music in a game, not as something you sit down and listen to. Having a full on orchestra with a semi-talented to talented composer is not good unless it fits into the game itself, otherwise its a meme which follows you around as you play.

Percival, the band which makes most (if not all?) the music for Witcher 3 using slavic folk songs from every country, literally, is made in a way to appeal to western hollywood tastes. They are songs to listen to, that are mostly objectively good on their own (despite being stylized) but lose soul in the process.

Going back to Dragon Age, listen to the theme music of Origins. You can draw a parallel of the heroes journey just through the theme/main screen music. Simply hiring someone to make an epic with no direction for a soulless piece of work does not make it good for an RPG. It might work in terms of listening to the music on its own, but as with story/dialogue, the way it fits into an RPG differs from something for a different medium such as a movie, or just listening on your own accord.

Last edited:
I actually really did like my time with Inquisition. It's no Origins, but there's good in there. Depends on if you're willing to wade through some meaningless, boring fluff every now and then though.
This is a reddit tier argument I've seen by every single Inquisition apologizer.

No, skipping Hinterlands, or skipping side content, does not make the game better. In fact, anyone halfway knowledgeable about Dragon Age lore should despise this game. It destroys almost every major element set up from the beginning. The main quests all lead up to a major event, that makes 0 sense logically as well as not earning such a major event. As in, all turning points of a story in an RPG need to earn it. The event itself could be the most extraordinary piece of fiction in existence, but if the lead up was not set up properly, they did not earn the right to change the setting. The DLCs, all 3, make continent to world ending changes to the setting as a whole, out of nowhere. If we focus on the base game itself, I will use the warden quest as an example, but this applies to every last one:

You physically enter the fade after DRAMAH and cutscene incompetence. A part of the world you never interacted with in such a way. I can go on about the bullshit from start to finish in this area, but there's one thing you're forgetting. The only reason you got to this point is by writing the wardens, those whose order you got acquainted with and were loyal to in the first game. A legendary order turned into a band of literal retards, from top to bottom. Thus, even if the fade section was written perfectly, it was not earned.

I really need to sit down and write a thought out piece about how important a premise of not only the beginning, but each mission in an RPG is. It's make or break. Some of them write competently enough to make lots forget about this important aspect of the adventure, but objectively defeats the purpose of an RPG. Inquisition is terrible in every way not only because its bad, but because these issues are compounded by previous established lore and the long slog this game truly is (I 100% Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone including all bullshit tasks on the map in + rushing through most of Blood & Wine faster than I finished Inquisition).

Last edited:

Rudra

Literate
This is a reddit tier argument I've seen by every single Inquisition apologizer.

No, skipping Hinterlands, or skipping side content, does not make the game better. In fact, anyone halfway knowledgeable about Dragon Age lore should despise this game. It destroys almost every major element set up from the beginning. The main quests all lead up to a major event, that makes 0 sense logically as well as not earning such a major event. As in, all turning points of a story in an RPG need to earn it. The event itself could be the most extraordinary piece of fiction in existence, but if the lead up was not set up properly, they did not earn the right to change the setting. The DLCs, all 3, make continent to world ending changes to the setting as a whole, out of nowhere. If we focus on the base game itself, I will use the warden quest as an example, but this applies to every last one:

You physically enter the fade after DRAMAH and cutscene incompetence. A part of the world you never interacted with in such a way. I can go on about the bullshit from start to finish in this area, but there's one thing you're forgetting. The only reason you got to this point is by writing the wardens, those whose order you got acquainted with and were loyal to in the first game. A band of literal retards, from top to bottom. Thus, even if the fade section was written perfectly, it was not earned.

I really need to sit down and write a thought out piece about how important a premise of not only the beginning, but each mission in an RPG is. It's make or break. Some of them write competently enough to make lots forget about this important aspect of the adventure, but objectively defeats the purpose of an RPG. Inquisition is terrible in every way not only because its bad, but because these issues are compounded by previous established lore and the long slog this game truly is (I 100% Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone including all bullshit tasks on the map in + rushing through most of Blood & Wine faster than I finished Inquisition).
I mean, you didn't enjoy the game, and that's fine. Not everything is for everyone, and what people value and enjoy are different. I'm 100% sure there's a game you enjoy that would utterly bore me.

However, I don't quite think your argument here is gonna go back in time to when I was playing Inquisition and having a good time and whisper "You're not having fun, actually" . You seem almost desperate, almost trying to convince yourself that no one found anything good in Inquisition because you personally didn't, and that's rather sad.

You physically enter the fade after DRAMAH and cutscene incompetence. A part of the world you never interacted with in such a way. I can go on about the bullshit from start to finish in this area, but there's one thing you're forgetting. The only reason you got to this point is by writing the wardens, those whose order you got acquainted with and were loyal to in the first game. A band of literal retards, from top to bottom. Thus, even if the fade section was written perfectly, it was not earned.

I really need to sit down and write a thought out piece about how important a premise of not only the beginning, but each mission in an RPG is. It's make or break. Some of them write competently enough to make lots forget about this important aspect of the adventure, but objectively defeats the purpose of an RPG. Inquisition is terrible in every way not only because its bad, but because these issues are compounded by previous established lore and the long slog this game truly is (I 100% Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone including all bullshit tasks on the map in d+ rushing through most of Blood & Wine faster than I finished Inquisition).
I mean, you didn't enjoy the game, and that's fine. Not everything is for everyone, and what people value and enjoy are different. I'm 100% sure there's a game you enjoy that would utterly bore me.

However, I don't quite think your argument here is gonna go back in time to when I was playing Inquisition and having a good time and whisper "You're not having fun, actually" . You seem almost desperate, almost trying to convince yourself that no one found anything good in Inquisition because you personally didn't, and that's rather sad.
Like I said, reddit tier argument.

This is not about how much fun you had. I've spent many a comments defending Mass Effect (the first one) on this forum, long posts. I had fun with it, I even had fun with the empty uncharted world sections. That doesn't affect my ability to understand the logical arguments as to why they were bad from a game design perspective (which they were, and some simple solutions are enough to make them worthwhile). And even those were less bland than the high points of DA:I

Although, seeing as you're a fully new account with 8 messages I realize you're literally a reddit refugee, or I'm being baited. If so, congrats, you wasted 5 minutes of my valuable time taking your comments seriously. If you're serious, well, you have something wrong with you. Even a Dragon Age setting stan knows how shit Inquisition is.

I looked back on that post , i 100% got baited, every sentence just feels wrong to read but there were a couple of giveaways i shouldve noticed. im a failure. Almost a masteful bait if not for the "you seem desperate" part and the last sentence. Almost there.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The music was good, I'm sure it was stolen from good sources, and the environment was beautiful to look at. Enjoyment of bad RPGs like DAI is 100% dependent on how you like the characters you interact with. I can see how someone would like DAI for that, but everything else is objectively sub-par. The gameplay, exploration, character development, fighting, story and agency is well under par. "Made by PC gamers for PC gamers" was also a lie that will never be forgotten.

9ted6

Educated
Only one- the landscapes are nice.
Ask any 8 year old to describe a fantasy landscape, have a designer next to them, and you will get inquisition. There is nothing unique, there is nothing technically sound about it (infact, from a gameplay perspective, the landscapes are horrendous), so other than looking "cool and shiny" to the midwit mind, you have nothing.
The levels are one aspect people overlook alot that show the game's MMO roots. They're all so bland, soulless and generic and really come off as part of an MMO theme park design, as in the levels don't really blend with each other or make logical geographic sense, they're just there to offer random self contained shit to do.

Like how there's a huge Arabian desert in the middle of what's supposed to be France.

Rudra

Literate
Although, seeing as you're a fully new account with 8 messages I realize you're literally a reddit refugee, or I'm being baited. If so, congrats, you wasted 5 minutes of my valuable time taking your comments seriously. If you're serious, well, you have something wrong with you. Even a Dragon Age setting stan knows how shit Inquisition is.

I looked back on that post , i 100% got baited, every sentence just feels wrong to read but there were a couple of giveaways i shouldve noticed. im a failure. Almost a masteful bait if not for the "you seem desperate" part and the last sentence. Almost there.
I am a new account, yes, but you're not really being baited.

I misunderstood your original message - I thought you were telling me I somehow did not actually have fun with the game. Maybe I am a bit too reddit brained.

I should re-clarify my statement, then. DAI is a severely flawed game. I can't disagree. I still found something worthwhile in there despite the flaws, however. Whether that be due to a general lack of exposure to other RPGs, or other games being so forgettable it stands out in comparision, I don't know. I wouldnt even bring it up to par with DA2, forget Origins, only that I enjoyed it regardless.

Frozen

Arcane
Inquisition is abortion of a failed MMO turned into shitty single player game.

Story is paper thin; everything is cringe and why it ends when it ends is anyone's guess. Bad guy literally just shows up at your doorstep because reasons.

Inquisition is one of the best examples of an RPG which doesn't earn its story reveals. They did so little to build up to each reveal, even in the quests most people say are good (ex. the ball), and their strategy is to introduce UNIVERSE impacting changes, Everything must be big and sweeping across the entire setting. It is bad writing 101.

9ted6

Educated
Inquisition is one of the best examples of an RPG which doesn't earn its story reveals. They did so little to build up to each reveal, even in the quests most people say are good (ex. the ball), and their strategy is to introduce UNIVERSE impacting changes, Everything must be big and sweeping across the entire setting. It is bad writing 101.
And the biggest changes are stuck in the last parts of its last DLC. Trespasser is a speedrun of settingwide retcons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom