Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Zeriel

Arcane
It's really too bad "generic WoW clone" means "nothing like WoW" in the common parlance. A WoW clone that actually managed to achieve WoW's combat engine would be at least a fairly decent game in its own right.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
At least the UI doesn't suffer for a console's sake.

Really?They thought is good idea to reposition the players view when he open the inventory going in to ugly overview?And everything is in rows.All game must look more like this:
drakensang2009031119191.jpg
That inventory looks worse. In the TESO inventory at least items are listed by name as they should be.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I just wanna punch the guy who's playing. People that run around like spastics piss me the fuck off. I don't care if he's putting on a show for the camera. :rpgcodex:

World looks bland compared to say gw2. Character and npc animations are laughable. Combat looks clunky as hell and what's with the one spell and mobs taking forever to die.

Also lol @ being glued to NPCs when you're taking generic quests from them.

Zeriel

Arcane
WoW's combat engine
The what? How exactly is it any different from any other point&click MMO?

Responsiveness. In World of Warcraft, whenever you use an ability or do an action, your character does it immediately, regardless of ping or whether or not they're already in an animation, or even if they're moving. This sounds really minor, but in practice the difference is astounding when you play another MMO that isn't WoW. The interrupt system for casting spells (tricking people into using their interrupts by cancelling casts right when they're about to interrupt, et cetera).

Some of the good elements of WoW's system were actually later patched out or dumbed down because modern gaming, unfortunately, but everything that is terrible about WoW does not change the fact it has the best combat of any MMO out there, on a basic level. It's why the game has been so ridiculously popular despite all its flaws and glaring technical age (it was hideous and ugly from day 1, even back in 2004, when compared to other games on the market).

Any MMO that nailed the combat system and wasn't otherwise a total disaster would compete with WoW. It's kind of funny how their competitors never notice this, and instead try to compete with 200M voice acting budgets and titties and innovating their way out of the MMO space (see: Guild Wars 2).

I was referring more to the general feel of it. Gw2 combat feels fluid since you can dodge and a lot of skills are tied into movement, while in WoW it felt like I was dragging around a ball and a chain when fighting.

Played GW1 and I do miss the MTG style skillset building, but movement was not one of its better points.

Gerrard

Arcane
Responsiveness. In World of Warcraft, whenever you use an ability or do an action, your character does it immediately, regardless of ping or whether or not they're already in an animation,
So it's shit where you mash all the keys with no consequence. Okay.

Zeriel

Arcane
Responsiveness. In World of Warcraft, whenever you use an ability or do an action, your character does it immediately, regardless of ping or whether or not they're already in an animation,

In a real-time combat system like all MMOs, the depth of the combat should arise out of the restrictions of the abilities and their relative merits, not whether or not you are trapped in some flashy animation. But I am pretty sure no one actually wants to discuss the merits of said combat systems since every reply to this so far has just been the equivelant of cognitive surrender ("lolololol mmos lolololol WoW"), so I'll just leave it at that.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
But I am pretty sure no one actually wants to discuss the merits of said combat systems since every reply to this so far has just been the equivelant of cognitive surrender ("lolololol mmos lolololol WoW"), so I'll just leave it at that.

While it's true what you say, combat in most MMOs including WoW *IS* "lolololol mmos lolololol WoW". That's part of the reason why they are so shit. Of course it's a plus if you have to manage ressources in combat, but that is just the icing on top of the cake.

DraQ

Arcane

In a real-time combat system like all MMOs, the depth of the combat should arise out of the restrictions of the abilities and their relative merits, not whether or not you are trapped in some flashy animation.
So you prefer to be trapped in some cooldown instead?

SerratedBiz

Arcane

In a real-time combat system like all MMOs, the depth of the combat should arise out of the restrictions of the abilities and their relative merits, not whether or not you are trapped in some flashy animation.

Actually, WoW has a global cooldown which is activated by using most abilities so no, button mashing is not an alternative. This was actually the hardest part for me to get used to post-GW2, the fact that abilities aren't queued if you hit the key during the global CD and instead get the "that ability isn't ready" message instead.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Actually, WoW has a global cooldown which is activated by using most abilities so no, button mashing is not an alternative. This was actually the hardest part for me to get used to post-GW2, the fact that abilities aren't queued if you hit the key during the global CD and instead get the "that ability isn't ready" message instead.

WoW also has a resource cost associated with every ability. Something which GW2 does not.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

WoW also has a resource cost associated with every ability. Something which GW2 does not.

Considering we're talking about responsiveness, how the fuck is this relevant?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom