Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Responsiveness. In World of Warcraft, whenever you use an ability or do an action, your character does it immediately, regardless of ping or whether or not they're already in an animation,
So it's shit where you mash all the keys with no consequence. Okay.

In a real-time combat system like all MMOs, the depth of the combat should arise out of the restrictions of the abilities and their relative merits, not whether or not you are trapped in some flashy animation.
So you prefer to be trapped in some cooldown instead?

Actually, WoW has a global cooldown which is activated by using most abilities so no, button mashing is not an alternative. This was actually the hardest part for me to get used to post-GW2, the fact that abilities aren't queued if you hit the key during the global CD and instead get the "that ability isn't ready" message instead.

WoW also has a resource cost associated with every ability. Something which GW2 does not.

Considering we're talking about responsiveness, how the fuck is this relevant?

We aren't talking about responsiviness, that's why.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Responsiveness. In World of Warcraft, whenever you use an ability or do an action, your character does it immediately, regardless of ping or whether or not they're already in an animation,
So it's shit where you mash all the keys with no consequence. Okay.

In a real-time combat system like all MMOs, the depth of the combat should arise out of the restrictions of the abilities and their relative merits, not whether or not you are trapped in some flashy animation.
So you prefer to be trapped in some cooldown instead?

Actually, WoW has a global cooldown which is activated by using most abilities so no, button mashing is not an alternative. This was actually the hardest part for me to get used to post-GW2, the fact that abilities aren't queued if you hit the key during the global CD and instead get the "that ability isn't ready" message instead.

WoW also has a resource cost associated with every ability. Something which GW2 does not.

Considering we're talking about responsiveness, how the fuck is this relevant?

We aren't talking about responsiviness, that's why.

Gerrard

Arcane
In a real-time combat system like all MMOs, the depth of the combat should arise out of the restrictions of the abilities and their relative merits, not whether or not you are trapped in some flashy animation. But I am pretty sure no one actually wants to discuss the merits of said combat systems since every reply to this so far has just been the equivelant of cognitive surrender ("lolololol mmos lolololol WoW"), so I'll just leave it at that.
Yeah man, imagine how deep fighting games would be if you could cancel any move with any move at any time.

Zeriel

Arcane
writing_process.gif

Zeriel

Arcane
Trying to explain comparative mechanics of MMOs to people who hate all MMOs. I'd honestly rather shove my dick in a blender and set it to puree.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This sounds really minor, but in practice the difference is astounding when you play another MMO that isn't WoW. The interrupt system for casting spells (tricking people into using their interrupts by cancelling casts right when they're about to interrupt, et cetera).

It sounds like you're talking about PvP, what does an MMORPG have to do with PvP??? Unless it's entire point is PvP like in Dark Ages of Camelot, PvP has no real place in an MMORPG. It just messes up the class balance and it doesn't have whole lot of keep factor.

Zeriel

Arcane
This sounds really minor, but in practice the difference is astounding when you play another MMO that isn't WoW. The interrupt system for casting spells (tricking people into using their interrupts by cancelling casts right when they're about to interrupt, et cetera).

It sounds like you're talking about PvP, what does an MMORPG have to do with PvP??? Unless it's entire point is PvP like in Dark Ages of Camelot, PvP has no real place in an MMORPG. It just messes up the class balance and it doesn't have whole lot of keep factor.

PVP doesn't mess up class balance, it is a reflection of class balance. It's hilarious (or is that depressing) how people confuse the two so readily. And in any case, yes, the ultimate expression of a virtual world filled with other intelligent players has to be the competition between said players, whether it's against each other directly or against the environment. What do you think people do in the real world?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Elder scrolls, some of the most prized artifacts in Tamriel, reduced to capture-the-flag targets? :what:

Exar Kun

Scholar
I don't see how this franchise could be decline any further, but this MMO seems like the killing blow. Im rarely pessemistic about gaims and usually refrain from criticism until they are released, but this seems like a big mistake to me. The whole appeal TES this is to be in a huge immersive world and explore and come across random shit, and now they are WoWifying it and making it multiplayer.

I think... im starting to become one with the codex... if only I could learn to hate bioware and SW:TOR, then I could truly fit in....

DraQ

Arcane
I don't see how this franchise could be decline any further, but this MMO seems like the killing blow. Im rarely pessemistic about gaims and usually refrain from criticism until they are released, but this seems like a big mistake to me. The whole appeal TES this is to be in a huge immersive world and explore and come across random shit, and now they are WoWifying it and making it multiplayer.

I think... im starting to become one with the codex... if only I could learn to hate bioware and SW:TOR, then I could truly fit in....
Well, it's not part of the main series and is not done by Bethesda itself, so it may actually help incline the series if it bombs badly and generates enough rage.

Sometimes companies go the derp route and see it as a mark against the entire brand.

The first two Def Jam fighting games were titles with better mechanics and storyline than you'd expect at a glance, and both were bonafide hits. Then developers got changed up and they released the absolute shit pile that was Def Jam Icon. Tossed out everything good and the game tanked. Series over.

Zeriel

Arcane
I like the people reciting "We're in beta" as if it's a magical phrase that will fix everything. I have yet to play an MMO that changed noticeably on a fundamental level from beta to live. More often, almost nothing changes beyond text strings and ability balancing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom