Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
the graphics and animation quality are worse than Morrowind

Nonsense, straight out of the box Morrowind is hideous by today's standards (of course mods are another story altogether, but even they couldn't really fix the crappy animations). The problem here is the standard MMO approach to the combat like has been said already; that disjointed, impactless active skill mashing is just shit. Some of the environments are better than others (that city shot at 0:19 is actually good), but overall the graphics would be more than adequate if the gameplay was solid. Guess they didn't have the balls to just copy Skyrim (as popamole as it is, it would've been a welcome change in an MMO environment).

I'd be surpised if they didn't try a subscription model early on - I'd REALLY be surprised if it actually works out for them.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Combat looks like your typical MMo combat

It's not, they're staying close to the more recent TES model. Probably won't be identical due to MMO environment though. I think they'd be better off heavily instancing the game like GW1.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Nonsense, straight out of the box Morrowind is hideous by today's standards (of course mods are another story altogether, but even they couldn't really fix the crappy animations). The problem here is the standard MMO approach to the combat like has been said already; that disjointed, impactless active skill mashing is just shit. Some of the environments are better than others (that city shot at 0:19 is actually good), but overall the graphics would be more than adequate if the gameplay was solid. Guess they didn't have the balls to just copy Skyrim (as popamole as it is, it would've been a welcome change in an MMO environment).

I'd be surpised if they didn't try a subscription model early on - I'd REALLY be surprised if it actually works out for them.
Man, look at THAT WATER. The animations are still morrowind level crappy, they are too fast and completely unnatural . The textures and models are a little better than Morrowind without mods, but the art direction is banal, shit, boring. Morrowind theme playing as poorly animated warriors attack hp bloated lizard and bandits with crappy animations is just wrong.

abija

Prophet
And suddenly everyone's acting like TES has some amazing combat and that's why the last incarnation sold that well.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The textures and models are a little better than Morrowind without mods

I'm all for hating on this poor excuse of milking a franchise but this is Morrowind unmodified:

Morrowind%2B2011-09-07%2B12-05-44-35.jpg

Worlds apart.

DeepOcean

Arcane
And suddenly everyone's acting like TES has some amazing combat and that's why the last incarnation sold that well.
If you compare the elder scrolls games with better single player games, you are right, the combat is shit. But every MMORPG I tried had a abortion for combat and I was forced to give up after 20 min suffering.

DeepOcean

Arcane

I'm all for hating on this poor excuse of milking a franchise but this is Morrowind unmodified:

Worlds apart.
The models on Elder Scroll Online are better, but man, look at the second half of the video and look to the armor style on the NPCs, it is banal, shit, boring.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yeah, the game is awfully derivative, but the graphics are the least of their problems. I think this thing will probably beat all the records TOR set (all the bad ones).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Worlds apart.

So? Morrowind had character and reeked of the places it represented. I couldn't get into Morrowind's modding and reimagining of places like the Bitter Coast, making it a rainforest for example. Like this, the Coast looked grey, desolate, full of ragged trees and vegetation. I'd image the ground was covered in moss or pathetic stubble rather than luscious grass. This is what modern developers don't seem to understand: interesting and immersive graphics are more than just high res textures, bloom, fancy lighting effects and polygon count.

granit

Scholar

Nonsense, straight out of the box Morrowind is hideous by today's standards (of course mods are another story altogether, but even they couldn't really fix the crappy animations). T

Not nonsense. I just logged 80 hours in Morrowind vanilla. Morrowind is still beautiful, creative and still has superb art direction. To call that hideous is an insult to good taste.

Data4

Arcane

Nonsense, straight out of the box Morrowind is hideous by today's standards (of course mods are another story altogether, but even they couldn't really fix the crappy animations). T

Not nonsense. I just logged 80 hours in Morrowind vanilla. Morrowind is still beautiful, creative and still has superb art direction. To call that hideous is an insult to good taste.

I like Morrowind, too, but the graphics aren't one of the reasons. Creative? Sure, in parts. I'll even give you the good art direction in terms of having a varied, non cookie cutter world and landscape. But even in 2002, it wasn't exactly winning awards for graphical excellence. But hey, if your aesthetic standards are that low, it's good news for frumpy fat chicks that they may yet have a chance somewhere.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
But even in 2002, it wasn't exactly winning awards for graphical excellence.
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was looking pretty good for its time. I recall that its graphics specifically were lauded by the "press" and players alike, and that I was amazed by the water effects at the time. Wizardry 8 and the first Gothic was released around the same time. The animations sucked back then too though.

I'm sure if we could dig up pics of people waiting to check out a TOR preview/demo it would have looked about the same. Still didn't do as well as they planned, eh?

Not enough for EA, considering that was part of the reason John Riccitiello left. And Sim City...and...

When you go F2P in practically no time flat, it's not a good sign.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm expecting this to be much the same, big launch, lots of curious TES fans buying in to see what the fuss is about, then it goes F2P within the first 6 months.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

I didn't say they were bad, I said they sucked in comparison to today's games, including TESO. You're talking about art design and style, not the graphics (textures, models, effects etc.). If you really think they're better in MW (which GraphicOcean said - a blatant lie, not even up for debate), you need to get your eyes checked.

And I'm not defending TESO here at all, but spouting this bullshit to score some Kodex Kool Kredits is just as bad as the fanboy circlejerks that go on over at Bioware forums and other such places - we don't need that here.

granit

Scholar

I didn't say they were bad, I said they sucked in comparison to today's games, including TESO. You're talking about art design and style, not the graphics (textures, models, effects etc.). If you really think they're better in MW (which GraphicOcean said - a blatant lie, not even up for debate), you need to get your eyes checked.

And I'm not defending TESO here at all, but spouting this bullshit to score some Kodex Kool Kredits is just as bad as the fanboy circlejerks that go on over at Bioware forums and other such places - we don't need that here.

What you said was "straight out of the box Morrowind is hideous by today's standards". That's not the same thing as saying Morrowind had technically inferior textures, models and effects. If we are really just talking about the tools and not the result from the tools, then yes sure today's games creators have better tools.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah, in response to DeepOcean which was talking about graphics and animations. I shouldn't have to spell all this out for you. Context!

abija

Prophet
On the player side maybe. Tech helps a lot in creating better animations.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, in response to DeepOcean which was talking about graphics and animations. I shouldn't have to spell all this out for you. Context!
Morrowind's graphics are good. Animations are not really tech dependent and would be just as hideous in 1998.
Not really since animations don't work in a vacuum; higher poly meshes and modern physics engines require more complex animations - hence motion capture. I've played Morrowind back in the day and while animations looked hideous even then, they were nowhere AS hideous as today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom