Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
They went full retard with the lore and setting.

Why not MMO based on invasion of Akavir, Camoran Usurper, War of the Red Diamond or Tiber Septim conquest of Tamriel.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I wonder how many codexers will pay :hearnoevil: lots of :takemyjewgold: to play this pile of shit?

Emily

Arcane
ID say that OOO mode for Oblivion pretty much changed the game from the roots

Crevice tab

Savant

No. OOO barely scratched the surface. Oblivion needs less cartoonish and all around better art, less boring landscapes, less generic fantasy cities, dungeons that are unique and interesting with a lot less copy paste involved, way better writing, better worldbuilding and lots of other details I can't be bothered to post now. OOO simply removed the most annoying shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You weren't really wrong though, mods are what saved skyrim, the vanilla was just bad. Mods can't fix an mmo if the developers won't let them fix it.

The vast majority of their audience didn't use a single mod and loved the game.

Crevice tab

Savant
The vast majority of their audience is comprised of retards.

Not really arguing that. I just hate when people say mods are why their games are successful. They're not.

Bethesda is pretty much the only company that builds open world & sandbox. Also they're quite good at making pretty landscapes (except in Oblivion- Oblivion's sucked but then everything in Oblivion sucked).

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Had a big boner for Oblivion after Morrowind... Boy I was when the Abomination of Oblivation hit the Buccaneer Coast. :rage: F3 and Skyrim were both playable if only for Landscapes and being less derpy than Oblibion. TESO looks so shity and WOW like I would not play it for free.

DraQ

Arcane
Had a big boner for Oblivion after Morrowind... Boy I was when the Abomination of Oblivation hit the Buccaneer Coast. :rage: F3 and Skyrim were both playable if only for Landscapes and being less derpy than Oblibion. TESO looks so shity and WOW like I would not play it for free.
:salute:

OTOH I had huge turdalanche prepared for Skyrim (based on Oblivion and pre-release stuff) and it turned out sort of ok.
Even good for what it was, if modded right.

Delterius

Arcane

Not really arguing that. I just hate when people say mods are why their games are successful. They're not.

Bethesda is pretty much the only company that builds open world & sandbox. Also they're quite good at making pretty landscapes (except in Oblivion- Oblivion's sucked but then everything in Oblivion sucked).

Put these together: there's a market that is much less pissy than the Codex about installing 17 billion gigabytes of mods in order to make a good+ game of their favoured, and currently untapped, genre.

If anything, Bethesda provides the framework where everything is possible. And it all feeds into the 'you can do whatever you want in TES, fuck character restrictions' rethoric from Oblivion forwards.

True, when compared to their total sales, the PC audience for Skyrim is below average. But its still much larger than many top selling games and that's not even counting Steam figures. Therefore, I think its reasonable to argue that the PC community is large enough to allow for a group of diehard assholes that herald the game as the second coming of christ because of its modding potential and, thus, serve as free marketting over the internet.

I have no proof of this, but two other things to consider is just how strong the TES modding scene is (thus seemingly permeating the entirety of the PC players) and how Bethesda supports it - other developers have displayed disdain for higher shares of their profits - and wishes to bring it to consoles.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

I didn't say that though. What I say does not in any way represent all people everywhere! For me mods more or less fixed it. My point being that in this mmo there is no hope of mods doing that.

Emily

Arcane

No. OOO barely scratched the surface. Oblivion needs less cartoonish and all around better art, less boring landscapes, less generic fantasy cities, dungeons that are unique and interesting with a lot less copy paste involved, way better writing, better worldbuilding and lots of other details I can't be bothered to post now. OOO simply removed the most annoying shit.
well lets be realistic here vanilla Oblivion is unplayable,horrible shallow game with level scaling that kills your any desire to do anything in game.
OOO turned it into something playable, even sometimes fun. While FCOM improved more to a point when i played it i couldnt even remember the vanilla. It was actually playable. Not the best game ever but worth something.

Crevice tab

Savant
I think we can all agree that Bethesda's support of mods is a Good Thing, that mods make TES games better and all that. That said mods can only fix stuff up to a point: Oblivion is still generic, bland, boring even after OOO. Mods could fix all the stuff I mentioned but that wouldn't be Bethesda's Oblivion and doing so would involve huge amounts of work and money- so fucking large that making such a mod is pretty much impossible unless you win the lottery.

So no mods can't 'fix' TES games: at most they can patch the leaks.

escom

Learned
Blackrock Mountain Red Mountain raid instance confirmed? :thumbsup:

lma92cQ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom