Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Caim

Arcane
Want to play multiplayer at all? PAY MONTHLY FOR THE PRIVILEGE!
Want to play TESO? PAY MONTHLY FOR THE PRIVILEGE!
Cheque your privilege. :smug:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The beta footage looks alpha as fuck. There's no way this is gonna be a thing in 7 months. No way.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Except, you know: Zenimax Online Studios ≠ Bethesda Game Studios. They have nothing in common.
Bethesda isn't developing the game, but they're still publishing it. They didn't develop New Vegas either, but they screwed Obsidian by pushing it out the door before it was ready.

Malpercio

Arcane
Can't see this shit doing well with subscriptions, it's just another PC mmorpg.

The only one who can afford them recently is FFXIV because it has the console audience behind + FF name + Wapanese audience.

Considering the sales Skyrim had they would be beyond retarded to not try subscription only at start.

Its a different beast, Square Enix did the same mistake with FF XI thinking just name alone would carry it and it didnt even made a impact, the numbers I can find are 200-300k during launch time.

FFXI still going after 11 years with subscription model, yo. Beside, it came out during a different time, the mmorpg audience wasn't so large and it didn't become popular worldwide until much later when it was ported to PC and Xbox.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I downloaded a two hour gameplay video and watched bits of it.
Horriblé! Terriblé! Oúche!
Not even the superfluous shit like voice acting and 'cinematics' were particularly impressive.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

Just use the magnet torrent link.

Bethesda isn't developing the game, but they're still publishing it. They didn't develop New Vegas either, but they screwed Obsidian by pushing it out the door before it was ready.

True, but TESO isn't using Bethesda's special little engine either, so unless they fuck up the QA completely (they got the beta going, at least), it shouldn't be as bad.

In other news, it's confirmed to have a cash shop. Genius-tier jewery: Cash in with retail game, subscriptions AND sell items separately. :troll:

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
FFXI still going after 11 years with subscription model, yo. Beside, it came out during a different time, the mmorpg audience wasn't so large and it didn't become popular worldwide until much later when it was ported to PC and Xbox.

First reality check.

Lineage II reached 2 million active accounts, Lineage was even higher beating 3 and those were subscription asian MMO that happen to predate WoW (Lineage II by months, both 2004 games), FF XI? try 2002 in Japan and 2004 in the rest of the world (2003 in NA on PC), in 2002 Lineage had reached 3 million active accounts, so "wasn't so large" is complete bullshit, perhaps not in the west it was so large as Everquest risen to 400k after a couple of years and peaked at the same numbers as FF XI at the exact same time.

FF XI peaked at 550k active accounts, not saying its not successful but AoC reached 700k, Warhammer 800k so when I said that I meant that Final Fantasy XI by name alone didnt sold as their mainline games did, the whole fucking point is if you are cashing on reaching 1m subscribers because of brand recognition you are in for a rude awakening.

Oh the big boys are by order of reaching 1M ... Lineage, Lineage II, WoW, RuneScape, Aion and TOR.

Second, the point was name recognition is not going to make it sell ... being Final Fantasy did not even make FF XI be more popular that Lineage, it was completely left in the dust by WoW (that left everything else in the dust as well) and never risen up after it peaked in middle of 2004.

In fact since I hate having to slap facts around ... FF XI Xbox port was in 2006, the "PC port" was in 2002 in Japan and 2003 in NA ... in 2006 FF XI had 500k active accounts that was the number that maintained since 2005 to 2009, mean not only it was not "much later" because it was less that 2 years apart on PC (especially in NA were the PC "port" come before the PS2 version) and there where no actual changes when the Xbox version come out.

Xi

Arcane
So, I get to play this over the weekend, starting some time tmw. I've decided that I will test out possible griefing "bugs" that may or may not exist. I figure this should make for some interesting introspection into the game mechanics. If I can PvP (for instance) I will make it my pride and joy to feed upon the weak.

Suggestions?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hadn't really looked at much info on this so just checked out the wiki. Despite the brand it strikes me as an obvious and shallow cashgrab. Set it in the 2nd age so it has no bearing on TES single player series, make three faction based on geography, have the middle/Imperial province be a giant PvP zone. Basically one continent from a WoW expansion.

Xi

Arcane
Xi how were you planning on griefing with a new character?

Well, everyone will have new characters, so I need to find some type of edge to one-up them. This is all dependent on whether PvP will be available though. Hard to say.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Aren't you going to be playing with the closed beta peeps who've been playing for ages now? It's supposed to be one big mega server, after all.

Hey, finally something decent came out from those shitheads!

Khenarthi%27s_Roost.jpg

Khajiit_%28Online%29.jpg

Indonesia, Vietnam and 1001 nights Persia? It does look more original than that Elsweyr mod for Oblivion.

Caim

Arcane
Huh, that actually looks pretty good.

No way you're getting a heavy cart over those bridges, but hey, it looks interesting.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, anything looks good for an mmo, if they try a little.

Did you guys see screenshots of The Old Republic areas? There is not even any color variation.

Indonesia, Vietnam and 1001 nights Persia? It does look more original than that Elsweyr mod for Oblivion.
Wow, I'm really surprised. All that they showed before looked really generic. Why won't they show this areas instead? Were they unfinished, or are they fearing of alienating their Oblivion-loving potential TA?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
All I see are those copy-pasted identical second floors and rooftops. I get it, you gotta re-use assets, but for every single house? In a promotional screenshot?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
From what I've read only a small portion of Eleswyr (or however it's spelled) will be featured in the game (at least at launch). Same with Black Marsh. Probably starter zones for their respective races sort of like Worgen and Goblins in WoW.

Xi

Arcane
So, the combat is SUPER Floaty! That's my only impression from an hour or so of play. Honestly, not that impressed. Not logging in again.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
ZuGJzwh.jpg

Gross.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom