Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Erzherzog

Magister
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for just spewing bullshit. You made a claim that you knew was pure hyperbole, unless we're to believe you've reviewed "hundreds" of MMOs to the point that you can easily claim that you know the inner workings of their combat system well.

Erzherzog

Magister
more sperging
mhm, i did, went tru the list looking for one i would like to play.

So what was your reaction when you realized a solid amount of that list aren't even the traditional MMORPGs we're talking about? Because World of Tanks, SMITE, Age of Empires Online, etc. is on that list. Just more of your bullshit you pull from your ass.

Lhynn

Arcane
even more tired boring sperging
Yes, even zomg, second life, mech warrior online, uncharted waters online, dofus, football superstars, they are on the list, and are non standard mmos. Im obviously ignoring those special entries, but if its on the list and released, ive probably played over an hour of it.
and if its been released after wow, 9 out of 10 times its been a wow clone with traditional holy trinity, most of them even with only 3/5 playable classes to fill those roles and a couple hybrids.

Erzherzog

Magister
Yet you still will not even name a handful.

I mean, fuck Guild Wars 1 had a dedicated healer but that didn't stop you from having a Ritualist as a healer instead using a totally different system. An Elementalist was the obvious choice for DPS but sure as fuck wasn't mandatory. Plenty easy to roll a group using a Dervish as the centerpiece of your frontline over a Warrior. Hardly a WoW-clone either.

You throw out numbers and have no intention of backing it up. "9 out of 10." Once again, really? It's complete obvious bullshit. What of the Ranger in Guild Wars 1? Is he a Tank or DPS or a Healer? Fuck no. Examples like that exist whether or not you choose to ignore it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yet you still will not even name a handful.

I mean, fuck Guild Wars 1 had a dedicated healer but that didn't stop you from having a Ritualist as a healer instead using a totally different system. An Elementalist was the obvious choice for DPS but sure as fuck wasn't mandatory. Plenty easy to roll a group using a Dervish as the centerpiece of your frontline over a Warrior. Hardly a WoW-clone either.

You throw out numbers and have no intention of backing it up. "9 out of 10." Once again, really? It's complete obvious bullshit. What of the Ranger in Guild Wars 1? Is he a Tank or DPS or a Healer? Fuck no. Examples like that exist whether or not you choose to ignore it.
Naming guild wars is especially retarded, it is also a special case because its a pvp game, completly focused on that in fact. The single player was just shit that allowed you to unlock some stuff that you could unlock with arena points anyway.
I never denied the existance of hybrid classes, that doesnt change the fact that holy trinity still stands on those titles as dedicated characters without "builds".
jesus dude, you seriously planning on having me go tru the list to tell you about wow clones? scarlet blade, Lineage1/2, perfect world, swotor off the top of my head, that you could recognize, or that i can actually remember.

muckguppy

Prophet
everyone getting all fucking excited in here. oh wait this was days ago.. sorry. anyway here are my 150 pence, this game will be loved by hundreds of thousands of people for atleast 3 months and then die off reasonably quickly like GW2. you all expending energy over this. eat a mars bar bitch.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Elder Scrolls Online: The Biggest Disaster of 2014?

The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20Online.jpg

Citing a Tweet that no longer exists by Kotaku's Superannuation that apparently claimed that The Elder Scrolls Online had already cost over $200 millionto develop and the lackluster launch that was Star Wars: The Old Republic, Forbes has predicted that ZeniMax Online's MMORPG will be the biggest video game disaster of 2014. Tough words, no doubt, and it'll be interesting to see if they ring true:

Once upon a time, way back in 2011, there was another MMO that swore it could compete with World of Warcraft and still charge a monthly subscription thanks to its rabid and devoted fanbase. Star Wars: The Old Republic also boasted a $200M budget, and was based on most beloved series in pop culture history as an added bonus.

But even Star Wars wasn’t enough to convince The Old Republic players that the game was worth a monthly fee. The MMO didn’t bring much new to the table, and soon the game started leaking players. Eventually, it was forced to admit defeat and go free-to-play. The game still exists in that state today, but instead of being the blockbuster EA needed it to be, it’s a cautionary tale of overestimating your brand.

And that seems to be exactly what’s happening with The Elder Scrolls Online.

Though the Elder Scrolls is certainly a beloved series, and we all have our own fond memories of Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind and so on, it’s certainly no Star Wars, and an MMO version of the game isn’t something that deserves anywhere remotely near a $200M budget.

There are some who are saying that by being cross-platform, an MMO that functions on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, that the game will have an expanded reach that SWTOR, and most other MMOs, don’t.

Yes, that’s true, in theory. I certainly would give TESO a shot on my One or PS4, even though I’m not normally a big PC MMO guy. But then I, and all other console players like me, will slam into the iron gate that’s the game’s $15 monthly subscription fee.

No thanks.

Console players, and hell, most PC players these days that aren’t die hard WoW or EVE Online devotees, have no patience for the increasingly outdated monthly subscription model. It’s something almost never seen across console titles especially, and while TESO might have put up Skyrim-ish sales numbers with fee-less release, that $15 charge is going to severely limit their cross-platform audience to only the series’ most devoted fans.​

Interestingly enough, there are some rebuttals from Bethesda/ZeniMax toward the bottom.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder just how rotten things really are under the surface when even prior to launch of your AAA hype machine some major sites are already saying it's going to flop. It's like the MMO industry has been in this bubble ever since WoW made it big and hasn't noticed anything that's been happening since.

Caim

Arcane
Not much of an MMO guy, but I can't see why a subscription model is outdated.
Only people who want to invest time into a game will pay the monthly subscription. WoW has its massive fanbase who have put a LOT of time into their accounts over the years, while CCP has its dedicated players and sons of Russian oligarchs who play their Somalia Space Simulator.

From what I have see, Champions Online has a mix of models: you can play for free and have a limited number of options, you can pay $15 per month and have all the options, you can pay for extra classes/outfits for your characters AND they have an option to pay $300 for a lifetime subscription. I saw Vaarna_Aarne mention the game in his sig, maybe you should ask him about it.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Most subscriptions>f2p games have that model, treat non-payers like peasants, make them get a sub anyway and also offer tons of other goodies for additional $$$ So you'll pay those 15 dollars anyway (if not more).I didn't feel cheated like that only with Star Trek Online, got to max level and yada yada without ever feeling like I need to pay.

I mean, if you're really into a mmo then 15 dollars is nothing for what you're getting. It's only problematic when you have situation where you have to buy the game+5 expansions just to start playing but that doesn't even happen anymore (for example WoW with all expansions and 30 days sub was available for those same 15 dollars in a month long sale).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
TSW is another former subscription MMO where there's absolutely zero reason to get a sub.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Only good model is subscription ONLY.Otherwise you know that one part of the dev team (if not all) is working on shop crap and not on new content.You know that they can't make budget for future work on expansions and updates.Why they fail have nothing to do with the payment model been sub,mostly it's coz shit developer.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Only good model is subscription ONLY.Otherwise you know that one part of the dev team (if not all) is working on shop crap and not on new content.You know that they can't make budget for future work on expansions and updates.Why they fail have nothing to do with the payment model been sub,mostly it's coz shit developer.

SWTOR failed horribly despite Bioware being the Codex's favourite developer.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

SWTOR failed horribly despite Bioware being the Codex's favourite developer.

Xenich

Cipher
Not much of an MMO guy, but I can't see why a subscription model is outdated.

Subscription models aren't outdated. The problem is with companies making FTP games and applying PTP payment systems to them. ESO is a FTP tardsole junk game built to cater to all the mainstream boy band moronic fools under that banner. It is catering to an entitlement crowd that loves simplistic participation trophy systems and markets off that. Those who would pay a monthly fee won't touch these ridiculous mainstream games. Heck, beta was.. well... seriously, shoot me in the fucking head it was so damn stupid.

Subscription models work fine for companies realistically looking to exist in the market. ESO is under the delusion that it is a worthy title to hold a niche dedicated crowd. It is laughable as the only people it will hold are gold farmers and transitional mainstream idiots hopping from one FTP game to the other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom