Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Xenich

Cipher
Lol, they sent me a beta key despite the fact that I gave my name as "asdfgh jkl". Don't even know if it's worth downloading this garbage.

Never hurts to try, but don't expect much. In fact, if you can imagine what you would expect from the most "mainstream", "gimmicky", "bland", "retard attracting", game concept possible, well... those at "bethtardia" (or a company working for them) have achieved such. In fact, if such a commodity were valuable, they would be fucking decillionares!!!!

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
Lol, they sent me a beta key despite the fact that I gave my name as "asdfgh jkl". Don't even know if it's worth downloading this garbage.
From what I have read: no.

Yep, after trying it... well... I would have to be paid 20-30 bucks an hour to waste time on that shit. Seriously, Russian Roulette would be a more entertaining and satisfying game than that fucking shit.

Direwolf

Arcane
If somebody doesn't want their key, I'll take it. For free. You don't have to pay me money. You're welcome.

Froglok

Educated
A short review I wrote on my outfit's website:

The art style is good. Swords look like swords, armor looks like armor. No goofy crystal swords or bug armor. The player characters look refreshingly normal.

Sound is alright, plodding through shallow water and running through the forest sounds like it should. Music is good, sounds nearly identical to Skyrim.

Movement feels exactly like Skyrim, which is to say it feels more like an action game than an MMO. As a Dragonknight I basically mashed my left click to deal piss-poor "white" damage while moving around at full speed, with the occasional special ability thrown in for actual damage. Every so often enemies would charge up a power attack, and when I blocked it they would stun themselves.

The real smell of shit occurs when you look at your actionbar. You have a total of 5 abilities and one "Ultimate". While I hate how some modern MMOs require 30+ keybinds to be competitive, the other end of the spectrum is shit as well. And this was not done to simplify or improve the game, it's a pathetic compromise from porting to a console. You only have 5 abilities because a controller can only handle 5, loltrash. When your MMORPG limits you to 5 abilities, an amount seen in fucking MOBAs, you have sacrificed WAY too much.

The ultra-minimalistic UI is copy/pasted from Skyrim. I don't like the Command Centers of many MMOs, but I could do with a little more information.

The world is not seamless. I have never liked instancing, and every door leads into another instance, which cheapens the feeling of being in a world. I would expect this kind of loading from a game made in ~2001, but not today.

What kills any chance the game might have had is obviously the console compromises, and from what I understand the game was actually shaping up to be a somewhat decent PC game until some faggot crunched the numbers and forced them to cater to console trash.

Zeriel

Arcane
Sounds like Neverwinter with a subscription fee and a full box price... which is possibly the worst thing imaginable.

Name

Cipher
A short review I wrote on my outfit's website:

The art style is good. Swords look like swords, armor looks like armor. No goofy crystal swords or bug armor. The player characters look refreshingly normal.

Sound is alright, plodding through shallow water and running through the forest sounds like it should. Music is good, sounds nearly identical to Skyrim.

Movement feels exactly like Skyrim, which is to say it feels more like an action game than an MMO. As a Dragonknight I basically mashed my left click to deal piss-poor "white" damage while moving around at full speed, with the occasional special ability thrown in for actual damage. Every so often enemies would charge up a power attack, and when I blocked it they would stun themselves.

The real smell of shit occurs when you look at your actionbar. You have a total of 5 abilities and one "Ultimate". While I hate how some modern MMOs require 30+ keybinds to be competitive, the other end of the spectrum is shit as well. And this was not done to simplify or improve the game, it's a pathetic compromise from porting to a console. You only have 5 abilities because a controller can only handle 5, loltrash. When your MMORPG limits you to 5 abilities, an amount seen in fucking MOBAs, you have sacrificed WAY too much.

The ultra-minimalistic UI is copy/pasted from Skyrim. I don't like the Command Centers of many MMOs, but I could do with a little more information.

The world is not seamless. I have never liked instancing, and every door leads into another instance, which cheapens the feeling of being in a world. I would expect this kind of loading from a game made in ~2001, but not today.

What kills any chance the game might have had is obviously the console compromises, and from what I understand the game was actually shaping up to be a somewhat decent PC game until some faggot crunched the numbers and forced them to cater to console trash.

Great, MMO was supposed be the backbone/mainstream of PC platform nowadays. Even it can not survive the onslaught of consoles.
I played little The Elder Scroll series, but I remember none of them is seamless right?
Any words on quests/writing etc?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Great, MMO was supposed be the backbone/mainstream of PC platform nowadays. Even it can not survive the onslaught of consoles.
Don't worry, no MMO has ever been succesful on consoles as far as I can recall (the closest - if you count it - is MAG I guess, and that's shutting down this month). It's mostly just greed because the suits think it's a whole new market waiting for its first WoW. DCUO for example tried but I don't even a noticiable fraction of its niche audience got into it on consoles.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
If they didn't abandon their original fan base to appeal to the retards, they could've made a small budget mmo that could've counted on a few hundred thousand regular players. It's not AAA money, but it's a solid income.

If Fallout 4, TES 6 and ESO flop in a big way, the individuals who run Zenimax can still just shrug it off and retire as multi-millioinaires with the money they've made raping the franchises.

If this happens, this could be used a perfect counter argument to the apologists of greed in the gaming industry (any industry really). A few board members made a fuckload of money and left a dessicated corpse that could've sustained the livelihoods of maybe hundreds of people for a lifetime.

DeepOcean

Arcane
People are wasting time discussing subscription models or other bullshit. This game is gonna fail not because it charges 15 dollars a month but because it's a WoW with mudcrabs when people can't stand WoW gameplay anymore. Even the most loyal of the cows, it comes a time they stop giving milk and what is outdated is WoW like online milking machines. Companies are so afraid of risking a little that they insist on trying to ressucitate their old cows instead of raising new ones. The hacks making this thing can't procude a single original idea even if they tried. When there is a MMO that truly bring something new, there will be a long line of cows willing to pay 15 dollars a month, even Blizzard figured that out and decided to delay Titan because it needs to bring something new.

Zeriel

Arcane
There's also a pretty sizable contingent of people who liked World of Warcraft and Everquest, but can't play any modern MMOs because none of them resemble what it started out as. Even World of Warcraft has lost tons of people to this (Kalgan himself once said World of Warcraft has about 2-3X as many former players as current ones), as it evolved to be more and more casual, and less and less an MMO.

There's something depressing about the "people are sick of WoW" argument, because it's rather mistaken at its basic premise. WoW is no longer the WoW that people tried to clone, and there has never been a single WoW clone that came close to being as good as WoW was on day 1. All the developers who claim MMOs are dead might want to develop a good MMO before they do that--as it stands, it just sounds like an excuse to me, from the legions of me-too developers who etch-a-sketched an MMO without bothering to check whether they were making a good game first.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Somehow I entirely missed the information that this game has Oblivion Gates spawning randomly in the game world. GOTY 2014 for sure.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
people can't stand WoW gameplay anymore
WoW subs have dropped a bit lately but it's still in millions so yeah, bullshit. But as Zeriel said, a lot of the players are more or less old-timers who would have no problem playing wow-like mmo but the problem is that WoW has several years of content, fixes and mechanics so if a new mmo only can offer wow plus a gimmick minus the content then it won't sell. The high production costs means that most new mmos won't survive long enough to develop into a contender for well established mmos.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's more of a hop-on issue. If I have to pay for just the box, like with GW2, that's cool, I can buy a box and play the game. If I have to buy the box, and then pay the sub, all the while the game is a knock-off of existing MMOs though, it's either that I get the box, play the free month and quit, or won't go for the game at all, because why waste my time on it, especially if I can log back to WoW to my L80/90/100 character with epics and streamline instead of having magic fun with fresh-launch-bugs MMO.

DramaticPopcorn

Have a beta invite to hand out. PM me if interested

it's gone

Last edited by a moderator:

shadow9d9

Learned
There's also a pretty sizable contingent of people who liked World of Warcraft and Everquest, but can't play any modern MMOs because none of them resemble what it started out as. Even World of Warcraft has lost tons of people to this (Kalgan himself once said World of Warcraft has about 2-3X as many former players as current ones), as it evolved to be more and more casual, and less and less an MMO.

There's something depressing about the "people are sick of WoW" argument, because it's rather mistaken at its basic premise. WoW is no longer the WoW that people tried to clone, and there has never been a single WoW clone that came close to being as good as WoW was on day 1. All the developers who claim MMOs are dead might want to develop a good MMO before they do that--as it stands, it just sounds like an excuse to me, from the legions of me-too developers who etch-a-sketched an MMO without bothering to check whether they were making a good game first.

Only nostalgia would lead you to believe that wow was good on day 1. 2-3 months to max level, artificial borders everywhere, in tiny zones that made up a tiny world. Quest repeatedly to max, and then repeat 5 dungeons over and over. That isn't a game worthy of anything.

shadow9d9

Learned
people can't stand WoW gameplay anymore
WoW subs have dropped a bit lately but it's still in millions so yeah, bullshit. But as Zeriel said, a lot of the players are more or less old-timers who would have no problem playing wow-like mmo but the problem is that WoW has several years of content, fixes and mechanics so if a new mmo only can offer wow plus a gimmick minus the content then it won't sell. The high production costs means that most new mmos won't survive long enough to develop into a contender for well established mmos.

I think the point is that people that want wow already have it. They don't want a copy for the 20th time in another game.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually prefer subscription mmo's.

I just doubt TESO will be all that difficult. It is a AAA MMO after all.

I haven't read about TESO but the other elder scrolls single player games felt like a mmo to begin with and they were really easy and retarded so I don't have much faith in the mmo being much better. I'd be happy to be proven wrong if this is something worth playing. Like any other mmo, wait and see if it's worth the playing / paying for. Although, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything good to come out in the next decade. MMO market really needs to crash and burn so we can stop getting these one size fits all games.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played the beta for 3 hours. The only other MMORPG's I've ever played was 10 minutes of a Star Wars Galaxies trial and 2 hours of a Mortal Online trial.

Connection-wise, I had no troubles and it was synced and everything. Graphics-wise, I think it looked good technically and the style of Coldharbour and Stros M'Kai were good as well. I had good performance too, and it's nice that it's a PC game so there is no mouse lag and shit.

Lore-wise, I still dislike having 9 races (where's the Imperial master race?) locked to 3 alliances fighting a war that didn't happen. Hardly the best idea that springs to mind when thinking "Elder Scrolls MMORPG".

Gameplay-wise... it's not that fun. Like I said, I'm not an MMO player, but the quests just fail to interest me. It's "go to place A and press E on object B" again and again. And I don't understand who the game is targeted to - you start out in a linear 20-minute tutorial that's instanced every other room, so you might as well play a singleplayer game. And the world just feels fake, with people running around absolutely everywhere: in taverns, in Goblin mines, in the desert, on the coastline, or gathered around nothing inside an empty building which means they're all talking to a quest giver I haven't unlocked yet. It kind of reminds me of orienteering.

I guess it would be more fun to play with a friend, but even then, how fun could it be? You'd still be a part of this fake world running around punching respawning monsters in the head and looting chests. I didn't find anything on the island that I couldn't easily kill, I met no interesting characters or quests with good story, and to my knowledge the only way to leave this place and get to a place with stronger enemies or PvP is to play through this boring questline of collecting crewmates that I could only stomach up to the first crewmate.

Took a lot of beautiful screenshots for desktop backgrounds (the bright outdoor light all but blurs out my repeated name). I don't think I will start up this game again.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I haven't read about TESO but the other elder scrolls single player games felt like a mmo to begin with.
Man, quick respawn even after seconds of you "cleaning an area", pointless "improve blocking by 0,5%" passive skills, active skills on cooldowns while you grind endless healthbars while you wait for those fucking long cooldowns to end, movement and tactics made irrelevant as every spell and attacks auto aims and can hit you for 100% accuracy, enemy bodies evaporating as soon as you kill them, grinding, simple fedex and kill quests galore, those are a few examples of MMO bullshit. TES games were never the example of brillant gameplay design but they need to get a lot worse to become a traditional MMO.

Stabwound

Arcane
If everyone thinks this is going to be shitty, even Skyrim fanboys, this game is really doomed. At least that Star Wars game had Star Wars fanboys orgasming over it before it came out, but it seems like no one likes this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom