Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the ruined the fucking theme, i had to go and listen to the original one to feel less dirty
I had to go play it myself on the piano.
*virtuoso*

Avellion

Erudite
02v8.png

This may very well be the worst character model I have seen in any fantasy RPG ever. This is just downright repulsive. Abomination would be a politically correct term to describe this monstrosity.

Xenich

Cipher
monthly subscriptions:lol: what are we back in 2004?:hahano:

You say that like FTP is worth a shit? I have no love for this game, I think it is a steaming pile of shit, but then all FTP games are steaming piles of shit.
Implying the majority of subscription MMOs are any good.

Now? No... Most have sold out and became FTP wannabes.

Here is the thing. FTP guarantees the content is designed to encourage store use. It could be massive repetitive exp grinds to encourage "exp potion sales". It can be balancing content just past the "in-game" gear rewards in order to encourage store item progression sales. It can be many various things to promote and encourage store use. That is, the entire point of a FTP games design is it monetary schemes. A PTP games only goal is to keep people playing, keep them subscribing (ie keep them happy with the content in the game). Content isn't designed with marketing gimmicks to spur impulse sales, etc... I mean, seriously, FTP games are a marketers gimmick designed for the same people who get hungry after watching a burger commercial or eat/drink/wear the latest thing because saw it on some advertisement somewhere.

What is funny about many of these FTP fans is when they whine about paying a monthly fee, but then the stupid fucks drop hundreds of dollars a month in the stores. Seriously, these people are like dumb fucking cattle being herded into the slaughterhouse.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

You say that like FTP is worth a shit? I have no love for this game, I think it is a steaming pile of shit, but then all FTP games are steaming piles of shit.

Now?
Nah, throughout history. What we got.. EQ1, UO, DAoC, and Eve Online? And even then you still have shitty ass AI and shitty ass abstract taunt aggro gameplay, and then a shitty ass gear/raid treadmill that depends not on player intelligence but player stubbornness to grind through the tedium of content for virtual, non-tangible rewards.

Xenich

Cipher

Now?
Nah, throughout history. What we got.. EQ1, UO, DAoC, and Eve Online? And even then you still have shitty ass AI and shitty ass abstract taunt aggro gameplay, and then a shitty ass gear/raid treadmill that depends not on player intelligence but player stubbornness to grind through the tedium of content for virtual, non-tangible rewards.

Well, some of that is subjective. Then you have to also consider technology of the time. EQ 1 was amazing at the time. There is a reason it is fondly remembered and still has around 15 servers up and running with medium loads today. Add in the fact that they were releasing content every 6 months and well... yes... far superior.

Ultima Online again, for its style of play, it was an excellent game. In fact, a popular PvP game as well as the whole crafting clothing, homes, furniture stuff... Though like I said, it was a matter of taste.

DAoC also first introduced the "Realm vs Realm" model and while I wasn't a fan of the game, some people loved it.

Same with Asherons Call and while I have no desire to play Eve, one would have to be in denial to claim it isn't successful to its audience.

As I said, if you are going to compare things, you have to do it within its time. Otherwise it would be like you comparing Nintendo 64 to Atari and complaining about how stupid the game play, graphics, etc... is.

deuxhero

Arcane
What makes you say that?

Yeah. I think they actually made it WORSE going from F3/NV to Skyrim. At least there your cursor was accurate. In Skyrim you can't use ranged combat or pickup items even remotely efficiently, let alone how it breaks even further with differently heighted PCs (also not present there).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
TESO launcher is downloading an 18GB update; supposedly that's a sign of an upcoming beta weekend.

I have become attuned to the ways of the TESO; I have become popa mole incarnate:

Zenimax Email said:
Break the Record with Us

Next Beta event runs from Friday 02/07 till Tuesday 02/11

Now? No... Most have sold out and became FTP wannabes.

Here is the thing. FTP guarantees the content is designed to encourage store use. It could be massive repetitive exp grinds to encourage "exp potion sales". It can be balancing content just past the "in-game" gear rewards in order to encourage store item progression sales. It can be many various things to promote and encourage store use. That is, the entire point of a FTP games design is it monetary schemes. A PTP games only goal is to keep people playing, keep them subscribing (ie keep them happy with the content in the game). Content isn't designed with marketing gimmicks to spur impulse sales, etc... I mean, seriously, FTP games are a marketers gimmick designed for the same people who get hungry after watching a burger commercial or eat/drink/wear the latest thing because saw it on some advertisement somewhere.

What is funny about many of these FTP fans is when they whine about paying a monthly fee, but then the stupid fucks drop hundreds of dollars a month in the stores. Seriously, these people are like dumb fucking cattle being herded into the slaughterhouse.
i have never spent a single fucking cent on tor/rift/tera/neverwinter. probably because all of them are shit and i got bored rather quickly.only mmo i ever paid for was guild wars 1+nightfall. i can pay for the game 60bucks and than have paid shit like additional skins/colours but fucking 15 bucks a month for that broken pos?:lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
500,000 beta keys on giveaway at curse.com

We're happy to announce to all you Curse fans out there a new partnership with ZeniMax Online Studios to support their next closed beta* event for The Elder Scrolls Online! Together we're bringing the community a whopping 500,000 beta keys, and are especially jazzed to offer them to Premium members first. That's right -- you guys are the pillars of the Curse community, and we'd be nowhere without your support. Therefore, Premium members will get access to the pool of keys a full two days before everyone else:

Premium Only: February 4th - 5th, 2014
All Curse Members: February 6th - 10th, 2014

Visit http://www.curse.com/betas/teso-beta-key-giveaway to grab yours now, and be sure to sign up for Curse Premium to be one of the first to claim.

new patch notes contain zero noteworthy changes or additions, except for:

• The User ID watermark has been removed, in preparation for launch. Please note: The NDA is still in effect until we say otherwise.
So expect hours upon hours of footage to pop up over the weekend.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Now?

Well, some of that is subjective. Then you have to also consider technology of the time. EQ 1 was amazing at the time. There is a reason it is fondly remembered and still has around 15 servers up and running with medium loads today. Add in the fact that they were releasing content every 6 months and well... yes... far superior.

Ultima Online again, for its style of play, it was an excellent game. In fact, a popular PvP game as well as the whole crafting clothing, homes, furniture stuff... Though like I said, it was a matter of taste.

DAoC also first introduced the "Realm vs Realm" model and while I wasn't a fan of the game, some people loved it.

Same with Asherons Call and while I have no desire to play Eve, one would have to be in denial to claim it isn't successful to its audience.

As I said, if you are going to compare things, you have to do it within its time. Otherwise it would be like you comparing Nintendo 64 to Atari and complaining about how stupid the game play, graphics, etc... is.
...I'm not comparing anything. My only argument was: MMOs are for the most part shit whether P2P or F2P. I mentioned some exceptions but I don't care about those specifics.

Xenich

Cipher

Now?

...I'm not comparing anything. My only argument was: MMOs are for the most part shit whether P2P or F2P. I mentioned some exceptions but I don't care about those specifics.

Well... that is fucking brilliant! Seriously, you wasted time to respond to a conversation that had nothing to do with you only to end up dismissing the entire topic of discussion? That is about as narcissistic as breaking into a conversation between two people discussing the best way to make pie and you interrupt and tell them both that they are wrong because pie sucks! Absolutely fucking brilliant!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Now?

Well... that is fucking brilliant! Seriously, you wasted time to respond to a conversation that had nothing to do with you only to end up dismissing the entire topic of discussion? That is about as narcissistic as breaking into a conversation between two people discussing the best way to make pie and you interrupt and tell them both that they are wrong because pie sucks! Absolutely fucking brilliant!
You say that FTP games suck.

I say that most MMOs suck anyway, whether FTP or not.

How does that not apply?

Xenich

Cipher
You say that FTP games suck.

I say that most MMOs suck anyway, whether FTP or not.

How does that not apply?

Because the discussion was not about MMOs sucking or not, it was about FTP vs PTP. Whether MMOs suck was not the scope or relevance of the discussion.

Let me put it this way, it would be like you come to RPG Codex and then, in the middle of some people discussing the merits of a particular game, you step in with all your narcissistic glory and declare all games are stupid and pointless wastes of time.

Absolutely fucking brilliant!

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I grabbed my key. But I had to create 2 new email accounts just to register the key on the ESO site since it seems it seems to having issues validating emails and user names.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Probably just because of the 500,000 new registrations in a day; it's a good stress test.

so now we wait till friday 7th february 12p.m. est.?
i registered myself on curse.com but got earlier that day beta key form teso:cool: still two different acounts names and passwords for game/forum was retarded:hearnoevil:

Lemming42

Arcane
I got a beta key this time. Just checked the email today.

Well, guess I'm joining in this weekend's beta test. Will finally be able to experience this for myself instead of just recoiling in horror at the screenshots/videos people have sent out already.

Whiran

Magister
so now we wait till friday 7th february 12p.m. est.?
i registered myself on curse.com but got earlier that day beta key form teso:cool: still two different acounts names and passwords for game/forum was retarded:hearnoevil:
Download the client ahead of time if you haven't already done so.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
20gbs to download in 6mbps
fucking joke servers

7/10

Learned
Zenimax can't into streaming clients.

Downloading a 21 gig game that I'm probably not gonna play for more than 20 minutes is the biggest waste of bandwidth since Guild Wars 2 open beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom