Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Lemming42

Arcane
Supposedly pre-order sales for the Imperial Edition+Standard Edition combined are already breaking all MMO records. The I.E. is actually outselling the standard edition too; it seems that a lot of people really want to play an Imperial (or play any race in any faction; those are some oddly powerful pre-order bonuses).

Shit. I was hoping this would completely flop. That way we'd get it for free, check out how bad it is, then successfully forget about it forever.

If ESO becomes a big thing I'm gonna cry.

TOR had massive fiscal mismanagement behind it tho, I haven't heard TESO having that.

True. It takes more than the game flopping for it to be a financial disaster - again, WoW recouped its entire development costs on box sales alone.

Just box sales. As in, if nobody had purchased a single subscription of WoW, it still would have broken even.

But that was a company which had good control over its expenditure, and that was willing to straight up set limits on the product (e.g. that it wasn't going to compete with EQ2 on graphics, as that would be an unnecessary cost that would simply limit the number of customers who could run the game on their rigs). EA seemed to have no idea what the target audience was after and so spent big on everything, without realising that MMORPG players will just skip the NPC dialogue while Bioware fans were unlikely to be interested in the ongoing raid/grind mechanics that keep subscriptions going after the initial quest content is finished.

I just don't see Zenimax making the same mistake. ESPECIALLY after TOR - the failure of TOR would have reinforced all of their fears about whether single player rpg fans would cross over to a mmorpg (and if they didn't have any such fears, TOR would have created them). And they haven't been anywhere NEAR as arrogant as EA/Bioware was with TOR. Everything about EA/Bioware's handling of TOR just screamed that they expected it to (at least initially) smash WoW, and they budgeted accordingly.

Nicely done cinematic. Too bad it looks like it has nothing to do with the Elder Scrolls, just like the game itself.

I actually wonder whether the TES fans might react poorly to that. This isn't FO3, where they were introducing a setting to an audience that wasn't previously invested in it - the TES fans will already have their own ideas as to what lore issues matter and what don't, and running ramshackle over that might provoke butthurt.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
TOR had massive fiscal mismanagement behind it tho, I haven't heard TESO having that.

Honestly it's more about messed up priorities and TESO seems determined to outdo TOR in that regard. Full voice acting for an MMO, overblown cinematics prior to launch, etc. With the additional cost of hiring celebrities to do VA which is something TOR didn't do. Zenimax is probably fully aware of it and ready to transition into B2P or F2P model within a year. Hell, you can already pre-order the damn thing with a discount.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

True. It takes more than the game flopping for it to be a financial disaster - again, WoW recouped its entire development costs on box sales alone.

Just box sales. As in, if nobody had purchased a single subscription of WoW, it still would have broken even.

But that was a company which had good control over its expenditure, and that was willing to straight up set limits on the product (e.g. that it wasn't going to compete with EQ2 on graphics, as that would be an unnecessary cost that would simply limit the number of customers who could run the game on their rigs). EA seemed to have no idea what the target audience was after and so spent big on everything, without realising that MMORPG players will just skip the NPC dialogue while Bioware fans were unlikely to be interested in the ongoing raid/grind mechanics that keep subscriptions going after the initial quest content is finished.

I just don't see Zenimax making the same mistake. ESPECIALLY after TOR - the failure of TOR would have reinforced all of their fears about whether single player rpg fans would cross over to a mmorpg (and if they didn't have any such fears, TOR would have created them). And they haven't been anywhere NEAR as arrogant as EA/Bioware was with TOR. Everything about EA/Bioware's handling of TOR just screamed that they expected it to (at least initially) smash WoW, and they budgeted accordingly.
Yea, and a shitload of money used on TOR went into a whole bunch of nothing, like the barely-finished engine's acquisition and subsequent problems it caused.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
What the hell is that massive daedric abomination thingy? And a fucking undead army out of nowhere in the end...
:what:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I just got around to watching the trailer, and holy fuck that was boring. I have no reason to care about any of these characters, and no feeling of suspense when they effortlessly destroy all the Daedra around them. I hope someone seeks out everyone involved with this and murders them with arrows, to teach them that they actually aren't a harmless annoyance.

Avellion

Erudite

Damn, even if this video was trying to make the game look good, the one who made it still made the game look terrible.

1. Gotta love how TES has been pushing this third person perspective on us since Skyrim
2. Looks like the trademark bad animations are in. Then again, I suppose we all knew this already.
3. You know the gameplay isnt any good when all they show are 2 second long glimpses.
4. The only good thing I saw with this was the ability to create slightly fat characters.

exe

Augur
I see they keep sticking to the whole Argonian/Khajit having tits thing ...
They also horribly mutilated the Morrowind Theme, those monsters!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
3P just looks better in marketing trailers.

Music is generally horribland though.

Avellion

Erudite
1. Gotta love how TES has been pushing this third person perspective on us since Skyrim

What makes you say that?
Sarcasm. If you ask me, TES should focus on one perspective, and I think it is best if they focus on the one perspective they have gotten right (that being first person). Besides, we got enough third person ARPGs and MMORPGs as it is.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

What makes you say that?
Sarcasm. If you ask me, TES should focus on one perspective, and I think it is best if they focus on the one perspective they have gotten right (that being first person). Besides, we got enough third person ARPGs and MMORPGs as it is.

According to an interview with Todd Howard I read somewhere, about 10% of players of TES games play exclusively in 3P.

Maybe they think they can attract more players by offering a better 3P experience?

Caim

Arcane
It's in third person because World of Warcraft other fantasy MMOs are in third person as well, and why change a winning formula.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Even the Morrowind theme sounds bad in that video.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
the ruined the fucking theme, i had to go and listen to the original one to feel less dirty

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
TESO launcher is downloading an 18GB update; supposedly that's a sign of an upcoming beta weekend.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
monthly subscriptions:lol: what are we back in 2004?:hahano:

You say that like FTP is worth a shit? I have no love for this game, I think it is a steaming pile of shit, but then all MMO games are steaming piles of shit.

:incline:-ed and :lol: ed at Orcs as playable race in game set 500 years before the Rift of the West.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom