Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Xenich

Cipher
This is 2014 and I still can't understand what's so funny about MMOs that they make so much fucking money out of it.
Geez our priorities are all fucked up..

Because they are predominately catering to non-gamers. It is a huge market. Think about it, before WoW, there were two basic types of gamer. You had the PC gamer and the console gamer. MMO's were pulling from the PC game market and it wasn't really until WoW had been out a bit that all of a sudden they picked up the console gamer, and not just the console gamer, but soccer moms, grandmas, etc... That is, non-gamer types, people who up until then used their computer for checking email or playing slot machine games. There are a heck of a lot more of those types out there than the fringe PC gamer market. These companies know that and so did the major corporations that starting buying up game companies and churning out "boy band" style games to cater to that market.

It isn't even just a determent to the non-MMO market, but to the MMO's of past that actually designed their games to appeal to a gamer and not some drooling slob looking to be dazzled by shiny things while they roll their face over their keyboards.

The entire market is screwed because there is a heck of a lot more money to be made peddling slop to the swine than there is in putting creativity and effort into something for a niche crowd... and that is what a PC gamer is these days, a very limited niche crowd. /sigh

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I find the char of estimates to be interesting. WoW is truly head and shoulders above the rest, and the amount of money they are making per month is staggering. No wonder everyone wants a piece of the pie.
Of course, nobody has yet realized that WoW has cornered the majority of the market and IS the pie.

Drax

Arcane
This is 2014 and I still can't understand what's so funny about MMOs that they make so much fucking money out of it.

Because they are predominately catering to non-gamers. It is a huge market. Think about it, before WoW, there were two basic types of gamer. You had the PC gamer and the console gamer. MMO's were pulling from the PC game market and it wasn't really until WoW had been out a bit that all of a sudden they picked up the console gamer, and not just the console gamer, but soccer moms, grandmas, etc... That is, non-gamer types, people who up until then used their computer for checking email or playing slot machine games. There are a heck of a lot more of those types out there than the fringe PC gamer market. These companies know that and so did the major corporations that starting buying up game companies and churning out "boy band" style games to cater to that market.

It isn't even just a determent to the non-MMO market, but to the MMO's of past that actually designed their games to appeal to a gamer and not some drooling slob looking to be dazzled by shiny things while they roll their face over their keyboards.

The entire market is screwed because there is a heck of a lot more money to be made peddling slop to the swine than there is in putting creativity and effort into something for a niche crowd... and that is what a PC gamer is these days, a very limited niche crowd. /sigh

I see, so it's like the LOTR movies then. :smug:

Xenich

Cipher

I see, so it's like the LOTR movies then. :smug:

Pretty much.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't think this game is aimed at soccer moms. From playing it, I think their most likely target for cross-marketing is Bioware fans. Compare the CGI stuff above to the videos used to promote DA:O and DA2.

Xenich

Cipher
I don't think this game is aimed at soccer moms. From playing it, I think their most likely target for cross-marketing is Bioware fans. Compare the CGI stuff above to the videos used to promote DA:O and DA2.

Not "aimed" at soccer moms... "aimed" to facilitate a type of play that anyone from a 2 year old to a computer illiterate elderly can handle which means... the lazy and retarded... ie "The general public"

Seriously, look at their character development system from release and compare it to that of today. Poster board for streamlining content, you know... because "I work all day, I don't have time to come home and play a game!" or the "I think at work all day, I don't want to think in my game".

I shit you not, serious responses on the WoW forums when I used to play a long time ago.

Vaarna_Aarne

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...ine-releases-cinematic-trailer-leaks-ce-info/

"However, this CE is also the only way players can unlock playing an Imperial in any alliance."

Welcome to the new era of day 1 DLC. Take out a race playable in all previous entries in the franchise and make them CE exclusive.

Why is a TES elf hot all of a sudden?

Morrowind was to alien for kwan constortard audience and so ''elves'' must be made more accessible and f..able for WoW fans; all this to earn more Jewgold of course; ZionMax, ZionMax never changes.

It was the fault of the yesteryear technologies that couldn't permit to render the elves in their true glory.

Well I wouldn't say the elves were unattractive in TES. In Morrowind it really was more than anything due to the fact it was older 3D, and in case of Oblivion it was because Oblivion had hideous faces in general. Skyrim shows it pretty well that Mer are for the more part equipped with a varying selection of Trek makeup foreheads/brows, and eyes that are noticiably not-human (which ARE distinctive TES features the generic trailer elf chick is lacking, the normal eyes are a particular giveaway of gaying things up), even Bosmer who have a human skin color have weird eyes. It's more accurate to say that in TES elves aren't any more attractive than the norm. Of course, they might just start hiding behind non-Morrowind/Skyrim TES artwork and graphics as giving them the right...

Lore-race-Bosmer.png

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's just like Eldar in 40k for example, most artists forget eldar have almond solid color eyes, cone heads, gaunt features and spindly limbs. "oh space elves, 'k drawing now"

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, to me the Mer eyes seem more like how most animal eyes tend to be like, given how they have dark schlera (IIRC not a single elf model in Morrowind or Skyrim has white schlera like trailer elf has). Eldar eyes, IIRC, are described closer to solid gem-like black.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
(which ARE distinctive TES features the generic trailer elf chick is lacking, the normal eyes are a particular giveaway of gaying things up)
While I agree with everything you say, I can't help but to smile at your choice of words describing the process of making a female character hotter. :D

Perhaps the more correct phrase would be "BioWareing things up".

Vaarna_Aarne

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...ine-releases-cinematic-trailer-leaks-ce-info/

"However, this CE is also the only way players can unlock playing an Imperial in any alliance."

Welcome to the new era of day 1 DLC. Take out a race playable in all previous entries in the franchise and make them CE exclusive.

Why is a TES elf hot all of a sudden?

because their appearance changes every in game?

Yea, Skyrim and Morrowind are probably the only TES games with visual continuity.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm truly amazed they put so little effort into the mechanics other than to make it co-op Skyrim. It's going to be a trainwreck.

Xenich

Cipher
I'm truly amazed they put so little effort into the mechanics other than to make it co-op Skyrim. It's going to be a trainwreck.

Probably because the target audience are the types portrayed in the movie "Idiocracy"?

abija

Prophet
Co-op Skyrim would be a huge success. I kinda doubt this game will be that good.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Huge success? Maybe with a one time 'box' purchase but with a subscription? No. People aren't going to pay $15/mo for co-op Skyrim.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Supposedly pre-order sales for the Imperial Edition+Standard Edition combined are already breaking all MMO records. The I.E. is actually outselling the standard edition too; it seems that a lot of people really want to play an Imperial (or play any race in any faction; those are some oddly powerful pre-order bonuses).

Emily

Arcane
how is this even a thing. I remember a time where paid games with subs were paid games with subs. Not this bullshit dlc,pre order,apha access,exclusive race (lol), free mounts etc. Why are people buying into this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom