Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's not a 21 GB game, it's a 29.4 GB game. It downloads in multiple chunks. You also need double the amount of space (installation files plus installed game), so you need 60 GB free. If you don't, the install will stop and corrupt the install files, forcing you to start all over again.

Do not download the game on a drive with less than 60 GB free unless you're prepared for massive rage.

Caim

Arcane
60 GB to install that game? Sweet merciful GabeN, haven't these people heard of optimalization?

Avellion

Erudite
I am contemplating whether I should witness the horror with my own eyes or if I should spend my time doing something more worthwhile... like replaying Fallout 1 or brushing up my programming skills.

60 GB to install that game? Sweet merciful GabeN, haven't these people heard of optimalization?
I guess it is easier to hire a few hundred code monkeys than a dozen proper software engineers. Also, the game is fully voiced (sigh when will mmo devs ever learn?).

Xenich

Cipher
i have never spent a single fucking cent on tor/rift/tera/neverwinter. probably because all of them are shit and i got bored rather quickly.only mmo i ever paid for was guild wars 1+nightfall. i can pay for the game 60bucks and than have paid shit like additional skins/colours but fucking 15 bucks a month for that broken pos?:lol:

Well, I am not saying any of the games today are worth it. Frankly, all the MMOs today currently are designed for the lowest common denominator. Any of them that initially had difficulty or complexity have had it stripped out so the dumb and the lazy can enjoy them. /shrug

As for GW1, I hope you are using that as a justifiable product? I mean, to each their own, but I thought that game to be poorly thought out trash trying to ride a gimmick of the time and the thought of paying money for cosmetics, well... it kind of invalidates the whole bitching about a monthly sub. /shrug

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Last beta they put the servers online 6 hours early, today they put them up 3 hours early. So go play if you really want to.

Remember that the Dominion has the best area and quest design.

Lemming42

Arcane
Oh, it's up already? Cool. I'm planning to play as an Altmer mage, although my rampant prejudice against the game is making me think that race and class probably won't have much/any effect on the game. I hope to be proven wrong.

Xenich

Cipher
Oh, it's up already? Cool. I'm planning to play as an Altmer mage, although my rampant prejudice against the game is making me think that race and class probably won't have much/any effect on the game. I hope to be proven wrong.

Where have you been? Race/Class hasn't had any effect on the MMO games since early EQ. Can't have the witless fucktards picking race/class pros/cons then throwing tantrums that someone else has another race/class with pros/cons they don't, why... that just wouldn't be fair!

Lemming42

Arcane
First observation: character creation is weird. Might as well be playing the Sims. "Foot Size"? "Ear size"? Why would I need to determine these?

Anyway, I've made my character look like he has x-treme downs' syndrome.

Where have you been? Race/Class hasn't had any effect on the MMO games since early EQ.

True, but I had hope nonetheless. I take it I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
So I escape from Coldharbour (this recreation of Coldharbour sucks, it's about as accurate to Coldharbour as Oblivion was to Cyrodiil) because a dude with a triceratops head (I guess he was an argonian?) opens my door for me.

Anyway now I'm fighting skeletons with a warhammer even though I'm an Altmer mage, I dunno what's even happening.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
WvW feels like a copy of Guild Wars 2, only with no squad leader indicators, so you need to guess where exactly your main force might be. Noteworthy feature: faction buffs are gained by holding Elder Scrolls, you can steal them from the temples of other factions.

7/10

Learned
As much as I love to hate this game, MMOs tend to be way more boring if you play them during a beta event, so the first impressions are pretty worthless. The reason is simple... MMOs ARE boring. The enjoyment derived from a generic theme park MMO is almost solely based on a fake sense of progress, not on the gameplay itself.

In order for a skinner box to work, the player needs to be invested in his character, which won't happen during a beta, since the character is not permamanent.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Requesting character load....

Cool stress test, guys.

Lemming42

Arcane
First impressions so far:
The quests are all fairly boring, but most quests in Elder Scrolls games tend to be boring.
The voice acting, a few blips aside, is actually quite good.
I'm in Elsweyr, but it doesn't really feel like Elsweyr. Remove the palm trees and this could be anywhere in Tamriel. In other words, the locations could do with a lot more character.
The combat is shit, but that's no surprise considering this is the Elder Scrolls. At least combat ends fairly quickly if you spam spells (or "abilities" as they're called here).
The Maomer are weird. I haven't seen anything that goes against established lore in regards to the Maomer, but man they're weird.

Overall, it's actually not as outright awful as expected, but it's really really boring so far. Depending on how you look at it, that's actually worse than if it was a purely awful joke.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Character generation is superfluous.
Loading times are abysmal.
Character system is boring and too simple.
Combat is boring and too simple.
UI is copy-pasta of Skyrim, including quest compass which in this game is also buggy and terrible.
Dialogue is horrible: a) continue linear conversation progression, b) goodbye!
Graphics are worse than Skyrim. Jumping animation not better than Morrowind.
Hero engine is horrible.

In short: learned nothing from TORtanic. This will be TESOtonia.

Lemming42

Arcane
At the risk of sounding like an absolute retard, how the hell do I get off Shitfucker's Island or whatever the Dominion starting place is called? Literally the first thing I wanted to do was leave and check out the rest of Tamriel, especially Vardenfell, before uninstalling forever. But I can't get off the island. There's no ships or other travel systems that I can see, so I tried to do the quests and I have no idea what's even going on. Like, there's Maormer and the Dominion are protecting the town that looks like Monkey Island, and I'm inexplicably part of the fighting force but it doesn't matter because 500 other players have already killed the Maormer invasion force.

In other words, I have no idea what's going on, this place sucks and how do I reach the mainland.

EDIT: Ah, you get to leave at the end of a quest. So much for "FREEDOM TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT".

EDIT 2: What the hell is up with the loading times. It's been literally over 5 minutes, and it's still not loading "Auridon".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom