Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Did they forget to put monsters in this game or what, I've cycled through like 12 streams and nobody ever fought anything.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Combat is horrible in this game, we've established that already.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tried it,TOR was way better mainly because they copied real game design.This is abomination ,it shows that they were told by the suits "Make it like Skyrim" and they added first person,looting urns,sneaking and shit,coz you know they were in it.I don't even give it time to fail ,it will be in failure state on launch.

Combat is horrible in this game, we've established that already.

He means it feels so empty,like it's in alpha and they are yet to put the mobs in.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Oh, it's no worse than Skyrim in that regard. Consider also that mobs give little to no xp and never drop anything of value.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The worst part about TOR was the non-existent or buggy endgame and shitty game engine (hero engine, same as this game).
I thought the leveling was quite nicely structured, and sending followers on missions was pretty fun. The PvP battleground could be pretty fun too, even if a couple of classes were severely imbalanced.
So while TOR may have been shit overall, it still had some qualities. TESO is just plain shit.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
The worst part about TOR was the non-existent or buggy endgame and shitty game engine (hero engine, same as this game).
I thought the leveling was quite nicely structured, and sending followers on missions was pretty fun. The PvP battleground could be pretty fun too, even if a couple of classes were severely imbalanced.
So while TOR may have been shit overall, it still had some qualities. TESO is just plain shit.
No.
Leveling was the same as any other shitty mmo, the pace was acceptable, which means it was shit for the devs, because players ended up without much to do faster, which was a problem because of slow updates.
PvP battleground is always somewhat fun, in pretty much any game its people killing people with friends, its also shit. self contained player versus player with no outside factors and no real impact on the game. Its simply a pointless waste of time,
Classes were shit, jedis shoehorned into holy trinity crap.
Its only redeeming quality was an interesting early game, and that it didnt abuse the fuck out of skinner box like nw online did. Also no microtransactions i think, now that its gone f2p its disgusting.

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Char creation isn't half-bad:

snaAD5i.jpg

Too bad about everything else.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/

Two moments in the opening hour were so awful I had to walk away from the screen. The first was the gratuitous appearance of a blithering John Cleese, as a character wearing a pot on his head because WACKY! IT’S JOHN CLEESE FROM OFF OF THE MONTY PYTHONS, REMEMBER! LOOK! A POT ON HIS HEAD! Bleaurgh. The second occurred when someone emphatically informed me,

“You’re important, and everyone and everything we’ve ever loved is in danger.”

That’s not a parody – that’s word for word what is said.

Every cliché is in place. Your guide once alive again is a mysterious, shady figure you’re not quite sure if you can trust. In one town you meet the SHOUTY LEADER MAN WHO SHOUTS, and then the weepy lady whose husband got eaten by spiders or whatever. To give credit, a lot of the powerful, leader characters are women, but none has anything interesting to say. They’re cardboard, speaking in cardboard.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm trying to figure out what emotions this game evokes in me and I can't think of any. It's not bad enough to make me angry, but it's not good enough to make me excited either.

It seems to be more competently made than the average mainstream WoW-clone MMO train wreck, i.e. shit seems to mostly work (most MMOs are completely broken at even launch) and they probably accomplished what they set out to do. It seems to me that they tried to make a multiplayer Skyrim and they probably succeeded, but that doesn't mean the game is any more interesting than the knee-deep ocean that Skyrim is.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest Skyrim fan, but I'd much rather just play that - or, better yet, something else altogether. It's all just so safe, generic, bland and boring.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
“You’re important, and everyone and everything we’ve ever loved is in danger.”

That is so true and it's in first 20 min in the game where you don't know anyone.There are tons of moments that scream -omg this devs are retards and they got management telling them to "make it like Skyrim" on top of that.Like you can ask the first NPC you talk after tutorial about some other NPC you never met;or the first time you use GW2 teleports you are rushed by women who gives you guest(just like in Skyrim™) and her outfit is without sleeves,snow everywhere and looks pretty cold;you are also wearing some light clothes with your chest pumping out of it.They could have told you when arrived "hey dude it's cold here,take this fur robe" or some shit like that.

edit:Also the introduction felt very confusing and lacking.They drop names,places and organizations like you are expected to know ES lore more than real geography,explaining motivation for everyone is non-existent and dialog is very generic so you want to skip.

Last edited:
this game is beyond shit.

floaty skyrim shalow melee combat
arg _dunmers_nords together wtf is this shit?
those advanced gears on character panel all look like fucking skyrim deadric offpins. and since when are khajits fucking samurais?
i can get stable 30fps in opened areas when i had no such a problems with gw2 which looks 10times better
that art or rather lack of it

:hearnoevil::gumpyhead::patriot:

dont even remind me of those dialogues and "YOU CHOSEN ONE" IN FUCKING MMORPG:avatard:

Lemming42

Arcane
I've not played this since last night, but having slept (for 14 hours like an idiot) on it, I can give a judgement.

PROS:
Graphics are alright, considering it's an MMO.
Voice acting is relatively strong most of the time.

CONS:
Why is it even an online game to start with, I played for like 4 hours and never interacted with anyone else. My only interaction with other people was people repeatedly stealing kills from me, which I was fine with since the combat is no fun anyway.
Elder Scrolls lore rape, etc. Actually, lore rape might be the wrong word since there's nothing (so far) that goes directly against lore, but it's the most boring use of ES lore possible. It's like making a Fallout game where you run around a shanty town shooting people and that's it. It's not against the lore, but it's the most boring, soulless, un-cool-est use of the lore possible using only the most basic elements from it. Except the factions, which are lore rape.
Awful combat, to be expected from Elder Scrolls games.
The quests, to their credit, do sometimes have more than "kill 190231923 mudcrabs" but they're ruined by the fact that they feel unfinished and also there's about 500 other people doing them at the same time.
The art style doesn't feel like Elder Scrolls and, as I said earlier, the provinces don't feel very "alive". It's like they said "Skyrim = snow world, Elsweyr = palm tree world" etc rather than portraying them as the in-game books describe them.
Bad dialogue system. Very rarely do you get to say more than one thing. The Elder Scrolls games always had bad dialogue and your character rarely had a personality, but at least you could choose what to say.

Mortmal

Arcane
I've not played this since last night, but having slept (for 14 hours like an idiot) on it, I can give a judgement.

CONS:
Why is it even an online game to start with, I played for like 4 hours and never interacted with anyone else. My only interaction with other people was people repeatedly stealing kills from me, which I was fine with since the combat is no fun anyway.

Welcome to modern MMO theres nothing in those games since world of warcraft (except raids) justifying the multiplayer part. You are another customer in the theme park , nothing else, forget roleplaying , exploration, epic storytelling and combat there's nothing of that anywhere.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Interestingly, the item upgrade system also features a made-for-F2P mechanism where using only a single upgrade component has a 90% chance of destroying your item, even for level 1 stuff. I bet we're going to see those components pop up in the item store sooner rather than later.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
There are also no large cities in the game. The biggest city in the beta - Daggerfall - is roughly the size of Anvil or Whiterun. Loading screens call it a "city state" :eek:

The dungeon recycling is worse than in Oblivion or ME1, but I guess that was to be expected.

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
Man, you know something went REALLY wrong when even the AAA "game journalism" doesn't like your game.

... i'm kinda starting to feel sorry for these guys. I mean, their theme park mmorpg doesn't seem to do anything different from the other theme parks mmorpg (see shit like the recent ARR), but none of them get the same shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom