Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm done with it so I won't be experiencing the PvP which, given the comments on the ESO forums is pretty much par for the course for PvP in that all sides feel that the other sides are OP and that PvP is "unfair." On second maybe PvP is going to be interesting since that tends to imply some sort of mystical balance but, then again, the max level in the beta isn't very high.
PVP balance will probably be fine because 3-faction PVP tends to balance things out on the battlefield. There is no strongest faction because the strongest faction is the 2 that have teamed up against 1.

What they do need is some manner of investing the player into the WvW/PvP mode. DAOC apparently did it but I haven't played. GW2 did NOT do it - some speculate because you keep rotating servers and thus don't remember any notable enemies. Though my opinion is that GW2 set the same set of races and classes against the same set of races and classes, which made things quite bland. In DAOC I guess you were always fighting these cultures both different from you and antagonistic, with their own classes and special powers, and that helped immerse the player into fighting the enemy!

Apexeon

Arcane
Sixty fucking gigs? So that's where all that money went...

Content people love **** loads of content.
But content does not = gameplay.
But people do fork out money for hiking simulators.
Pretty much all AAA titles now will be open world walking/Kill simulators.

J1M

Arcane
Combat in this looks like shit. Same old "action" gameplay as every other mmo.

Hello [Apexeon] I see that you have killed [thirty pigs] but did you remember to take their [rancid pig rectums] so I can make my [savoury pie]? No? Well then get out there and get me those [rancid pig rectums]!

1.5% drop rate

Reward: [Savoury pie]

:troll:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Well, at least when devs get flack for making shit combat, they can attribute it to keeping up the tradition of the series.

:thumbsup:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I think making the game - combat and all - very similar to Skyrim was a logical move, as Skyrim did sell 20 million copies or something. On the second hand, it remains to be seen whether or not the public at large has grown tired of Skyrim already.

On the third hand, of course, copying something popular doesn't mean the result will be popular - just look at all the endless shitty WoW clones.

Apexeon

Arcane
A new decade and the same old tired MMO design of we want your cash formula please hop on our tread mill.

I think making the game - combat and all - very similar to Skyrim was a logical move, as Skyrim did sell 20 million copies or something. On the second hand, it remains to be seen whether or not the public at large has grown tired of Skyrim already.

On the third hand, of course, copying something popular doesn't mean the result will be popular - just look at all the endless shitty WoW clones.

Skyrim didn't succeed because of its combat, it succeeded because you can mod the living crap out of it to make it the kind of game YOU want to play. You can't do that with a fucking mmo but it's not like it matters. After Skyrim's success Zionmax deluded themselves into thinking that the vanilla games they make are good enough by themselves... and that has NEVER... EVER... been the case.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Skyrim didn't succeed because of its combat, it succeeded because you can mod the living crap out of it to make it the kind of game YOU want to play. You can't do that with a fucking mmo but it's not like it matters. After Skyrim's success Zionmax deluded themselves into thinking that the vanilla games they make are good enough by themselves... and that has NEVER... EVER... been the case.

The thing is Skyrim is a huge hit on consoles also and there is no modding there. The reason why Bethesda games are popular are mostly because of freedom of exploration and complete lack of competition of that type of games on all platforms.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's a much bigger hit on consoles. Ergo no mods = more sales. Flawless logic.

I guess all of those months on the top of the steam sale list must be lying then.

PS. Unless the mmo is coming to consoles as well I doubt that the kind of audience that kind of system attracts would move on over to a fairly new computer just to play TES: Online, especially since the console generation probably hasn't ever even played an mmo.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thats a pretty significant number for Xbox 360 & PS, why make games for PC anymore?
Isn't PC version much much more follow up resource intensive than console?
In other words, Skyrim Xbox doesn't need hotfixes/patches/updates does it?
I don't/have never owned a console since Atari days, but iirc they just use the original disk forever.

Wait, I'm guessing the answer is that a port to PC is pretty easy, so why not?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
PS. Unless the mmo is coming to consoles as well I doubt that the kind of audience that kind of system attracts would move on over to a fairly new computer just to play TES: Online, especially since the console generation probably hasn't ever even played an mmo.

Of course it's coming to consoles. The Elder Scrolls' audience is mostly console kids now, did you think they would leave all that money on the table?

In other words, Skyrim Xbox doesn't need hotfixes/patches/updates does it?
I don't/have never owned a console since Atari days, but iirc they just use the original disk forever.
Hahaha no. Consoles are connected to the internet now, so why should anyone finish a game before they release it? No matter what platform you get it for, you're going to be an unpaid tester.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Wow, self-realization of my dinosaur status.

My nephew was always using Xbox but I never saw it hooked up to ISP. Oh well.
I could just never get used to those console controllers. Put me in front of a keyboard+mouse I'm good to go.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
yeah, over 1 bill did look high to me too, but Skyrim didn't come down from $50-60 range for a while, even once discounted it was still like $29.99..

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it makes sense, assuming most of the sales happened within the first few months before Steam discounts and such (which is probably the case here). ~20M copies at $60 a pop does come out to ~1.2B, so the math adds up. The console versions probably cost even more, especially outside the US.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Yeah, I was surprised over here in mid-europe I thought games would be less rubles than dollar equivalent.
Turns out games are more expensive for ex-CIS type countries...big bummer

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
No wonder every Computer Science major wants to make games... Billion Dollar Babies

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It is automatically bs stats only because it gives info on PC sales,which they can't know.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has sold over 20 million units, publisher Bethesda has confirmed.

Also they don't say what they count as "unit". And also does the anthology edition count as well?

The publisher did not say, however, if the numbers are of actual sales to consumers or units shipped to retailers.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom