Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

John_Blazze

Augur
How is exploration? Does the game at least attempt to recreate the experience of wandering off the beaten path and stumbling upon some random dungeons, hidden abodes or quests?
Some people were unable to find a cave with a quest compass though

Oh for fucks sake, it's Caius Cosades shit all over again. With a fucking, hand holding compass this time.

Angthoron

Arcane
How is exploration? Does the game at least attempt to recreate the experience of wandering off the beaten path and stumbling upon some random dungeons, hidden abodes or quests?
Some people were unable to find a cave with a quest compass though

Oh for fucks sake, it's Caius Cosades shit all over again. With a fucking, hand holding compass this time.
It's like Mankrik's Wife, but with a quest compass and a playerbase of complete mouthbreathers.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Mankrik's_Wife

John_Blazze

Augur
Just a side note, funnily enough, in the short time I've spend in TESO, I was offered more choices during quests than in Skyrim and Oblivion put together.

It feels weird.

7/10

Learned
I want that game to hug me, kiss me, tell me how important I am and how everything's gonna be all right. Otherwise, NO BUY!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
To be fair, emotional investment is a big part of what keeps players in an mmo, but players should be invested in their characters, their friends, the community and the world. Not some poorly written NPCs. As usual Zenimax is doing it wrong.

Emotional investment?

Sure, if you consider a crackhead emotionally invested in crack and ensuring he gets his hit every day.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I've been in the beta for a good long time now. The RPS review says it all:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/

That's not a terribad review though. It describes all MMOs ever made, except for Meridian 59 and UO.

That review is bad, precisely because it describes every MMO ever written. You don't go and spin-off an entirely new development studio (Zenimax Online Studios) and spend millions and millions of dollars on a product that is indistinguishable from the masses. ZOS needed a fucking home run, here, and in my view they haven't got one.

DragoFireheart

ZOS needed a fucking home run, here, and in my view they haven't got one.

Is anyone hoping this sinks Zenimax? Watching Bethesduh getting bought by EA would be amusing.
No, watching Blehtesda getting bouth by EA and next year releasing the new TES as a cow-clicking tablet game for $2,99 would be amusing.

:troll:

Imagine if Gaider and Todd made a game together. How shitty could it be?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
ZOS needed a fucking home run, here, and in my view they haven't got one.

Is anyone hoping this sinks Zenimax? Watching Bethesduh getting bought by EA would be amusing.
No, watching Blehtesda getting bouth by EA and next year releasing the new TES as a cow-clicking tablet game for $2,99 would be amusing.

:troll:

Imagine if Gaider and Todd made a game together. How shitty could it be?

No need to imagine that.

Huehuehue.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I know a few people who got jobs at ZOS specifically for this title, and their livelihoods depend on this game doing well. So for their sake, I hope it does well.

Angthoron

Arcane
I know a few people who got jobs at ZOS specifically for this title, and their livelihoods depend on this game doing well. So for their sake, I hope it does well.
You mean they can't get a different job anymore?

I mean, sure, I can sympathize, people get jobs at shitty places to feed their families all the time, but we're not that far into corporate serfdom yet to not be able to ditch a company for another. Not to mention that dev team layoffs are common anyway, same with community support, if those people work there. I find it a bit funny that they wanted to work specifically on that title though, but I guess avid fandom of the titles, or of the former devs of DAoC could do that.

Damn, did that sound reasonable? Here, let me try again:

WELL THAT WILL TEACH THEM TO JOIN SHITTY COMPANIES AND WORK ON SHITTY FAILURE MMOS. THEY ARE THE REASON FOR THIS DECLINE. ARGHARGHAAAAAAAAAA.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I know about your present position, but past-wise..why don't you post your CV here Angthoron

I am very curious to see just what your past experience is, cause either you are preaching from the altar of professional safety (current that being), and that says something about complexes does it not, or you are outright clueless as to what it takes to get hired from those 4?, 5? big sharks out there. Or more importantly, how useful it would be for one's future, prejudices aside. And i dare asume you are clueless :)
Unless of course you think that just because us morons a few people out of all the billions on this planet think 1990 is incline... oh wait...;

Get a fucking grip of yourself. A good job on what you enjoy doing within a company toying with nine digit figures is a dream come true. Unless of course you waste your time making posts in the Codex.
Cause most people? Incline and decline, that's at home, armchair deving. 99% of the fucktards here can't get past their front lobby. And i will believe they do not care to get past it only after proven that they could in fact walk in, but actually chosen not to. But that's just me. Do join the hate wagon, makes petty lives loom prettier. Anyday.

Angthoron

Arcane
You dare assume a fucking lot, then.

And if you want a CV, you better post yours first. You're awful smug, you know - did you get a middle management job one year before VaultDweller, by any chance?

You know - if you don't want to come through as a smug presumptuous ass, you might like to stop making ambiguous posts, and hm, presuming. "People you know" wanted to work on this specific title, you said. You didn't say, "People I know joined a nine-digit company to get CV creds". You know how that sounds? It sounds like "people you know" got the job because they wanted to be in a TES team. In the gamedev industry, a lot of people, especially younger talent, are largely influenced by sycophancy and/or fanboyism, so how the fuck am I to know they know the game that well? Admittedly, I could've done less presuming there, but, you know, responding to ambiguous posts.

As for what it takes to get hired by those, yes, I actually do know, thanks for asking. However, are you clueless enough to think that any rank in said companies is equal? Do get a grip of yourself. A fucking one, if it helps.

Also, what job security? I said the exact opposite of that. Go out, look for jobs, find one that suits. Work til project's over, find a new job. If you were exceptionally good, the company might want to keep you, otherwise, no such luck. Yes, CV creds help there. However, don't worry, people you know will be golden anyway, assuming they're anywhere mid to top in their assignments, since even if TES tanks with the speed of TOR, they'll not be taking any blame - especially if they have the foresight to walk out on their own at an opportune moment.

And yeah - I "join the hate bandwagon", because I don't appreciate what ZeniMax has been doing with their game studios for the last decade. I do not enjoy their fruits, the noise that follows, and the impact they make on the industry as a whole. I do not wish that this fairly blatant cash-in is successful, even if a lot of livelihoods would depend on it, either, because a cash-in is a cash-in, whether it's done by wonderful loveable people, robots, martians or domesticated snowmen. Because, you know, I'm sure people that made the new Dungeon Keeper are all nice people, too.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
You don't live in America, so you don't know what it's like here. I do, so I can say with full confidence that America is fucked. "Go out, look for jobs, find one that suits" isn't going to work, because a lot of people with more experience and more connections are doing the same thing. If you have a job here, you'd better do whatever it takes to keep it, because you probably won't be getting another.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What the fuck is this shit, you people are talking about? We aren't employers of the people behind this thing, we have no responsibility or necessity to care with them. The relationship here is consumer and provider, if they provide a shitty product, the consumers have no obligation to feel pity for them. If you extend this bullshit logic of "I really hope people that make shit products do well because they suffer you know..." to it's conclusions you are defending people for ripping you off because you should really care about others even when they really don't gave a fuck to you as a consumer. First world people complaining about jobs... man in third worldia we have to worry if we are going to be assassinated or kidnapped when we are going to work, well if you are lucky the thugs will ask you to leave the bus before putting fire on it.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

I live in America.

These people CAN find other jobs. They're aren't some public teacher or factory worker or social scientist (people that are fucked).

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
:retarded:
No one's defending people who are ripping people off, and the people who make the decisions all have golden parachutes anyway. I'm just saying that we shouldn't gloat about people who have no control over the finished product losing their jobs, because a job isn't something you can just pick from a tree. And while America may not have reached third world status yet, it's really determined to get there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom