Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
That's the beauty of statistics in general, one will always find a reason to dismiss them. Nevertheless, I think it's obvious that Skyrim sell much better on consoles.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
At first I was put off by Elder Scrolls Online, remembering how boring MMORPGs are.
But then I was also put off by Elder Scrolls Offline, remembering how boring and generic it was.

Civil war in Skyrim: endless spawning of friends and foes until the time is up. A bad joke and not much difference to stupid MMORPG anymore. So thumbs up for TESO, but without me.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
In the current version, the game becomes significantly more boring after level 12 or so, when progression slows to a crawl and all the remaining class skills are rubbish stuff like "put a puddle of lightning on the floor for 3 seconds" and a bunch of passives. I'm starting to suspect that the end game will either be everybody using the same general skills, or one class being played by 50% of the player base (by virtue of having actually useful high level skills).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
i wonder how they will handle healing with this clunky UI and the fixed mouse. Maybe all heals will be AOE'S? It sounding more and more like the endgame will be another GW

Angthoron

Arcane
The potential for clusterfuck in this one is way higher than in GW2, really. Whoever thought to not include any sort of proper aim assists, timers and other indicators of conditions, effects and hell, even health really, was a genius.

In the current version, the game becomes significantly more boring after level 12 or so
Holy shit and I thought gameplay at L3 was bad.

And the beautiful part is that you can't fix shitty core mechanics with patches, it pretty much requires that you scrap the entire game and start anew. I don't think Zionmax will be doing that.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The console launch will delay that, I think. They're going to gamble on record breaking launch day numbers on the 'soles to get them good PR while the PC version makes as few waves as possible.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If the PC version starts hemorrhaging players before they launch the console version and getting bad press all around, im seeing very troublesome launch for Zenimax.

The amount of butthurt flowing through the TESO reddit and forums is astonishing, i have never witness so much bad will in regard to an mmo before launch. This is usually the period where everything smells of roses and players are relatively immune to bad thoughts, but this game... its divisive to say the least.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Okay nevermind, they might be able to save this one yet:

Elder Scrolls Online receives unofficial Oculus Rift support

Developer Chris Gallizzi successfully implemented Oculus Rift support with Elder Scrolls Online, which is currently in closed beta, highlighted by test gameplay footage posted on YouTube.

The five-minute video illustrates the massively multiplayer online role-playing game's character creation system, navigating the environment and occasionally engaging an enemy in combat.

Lhynn

Arcane
If the PC version starts hemorrhaging players before they launch the console version and getting bad press all around, im seeing very troublesome launch for Zenimax.

The amount of butthurt flowing through the TESO reddit and forums is astonishing, i have never witness so much bad will in regard to an mmo before launch. This is usually the period where everything smells of roses and players are relatively immune to bad thoughts, but this game... its divisive to say the least.
Like you didnt knew it was going to be the most retarded shit.

Angthoron

Arcane
Any nice highlights to share with the bros?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Like you didnt knew it was going to be the most retarded shit.

:butthurt: from marginalized groups like :rpgcodex: was expected but this kind of massive consoltard peasants revolt might cut the flow of jewgold for :hearnoevil::gumpyhead: which is entirely different and serious business for Zionmax... Still the tortanic fate can be averted by giving away pet gaur and horse armor for free though. :troll:

Also noticed that DU brought back the rattings, the ITZ End is near +M.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's the beauty of statistics in general, one will always find a reason to dismiss them. Nevertheless, I think it's obvious that Skyrim sell much better on consoles.

Skyrim undoubtedly made most of its initial sales on console, but most of its "long tail" sales are probably on PC. By now that may even be as many as half of them.

Generally speaking, AAA game developers tend to underplay their sales on PC, for reasons which I don't fully understand.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Generally speaking, AAA game developers tend to underplay their sales on PC, for reasons which I don't fully understand.
i got the impression that aaa sales numbers tend to be units shipped to retailers which disregard direct distribution entirely, so obviously consoles would be over- and pc underplayed.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Skyrim undoubtedly made most of its initial sales on console, but most of its "long tail" sales are probably on PC. By now that may even be as many as half of them.

I think the problem is that shareholders/investors dont care about long term sales which are far bigger on PC then consoles and they value the game success o initial ones. Skyrim was made primarily for consoles and I think that strong PC sales kind of surprised Bethesda and I believe It did challenge their perception on PCs strength as market. We should also mention that with digital distribution being the biggest part of PC sales the profit margin is far better then on consoles.

The thing I dont understand is if you look at most popular games on PC recently you will see games like RUST, DayZ, Starbound, Minecraft and Skyrim, all those games have in common freedom they give the players. Yet there is no AAA developers that try to take part of that booming market, which is especially confusing with Bethesda having pretty much monopoly on this type of games on consoles and earning shit load of money.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Any nice highlights to share with the bros?

The only thing coming out of TESO reddit right now is one statement.
ESO is a single player MMO

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
How is exploration? Does the game at least attempt to recreate the experience of wandering off the beaten path and stumbling upon some random dungeons, hidden abodes or quests?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
rldlx53.png

Avellion

Erudite
To be fair, emotional investment is a big part of what keeps players in an mmo, but players should be invested in their characters, their friends, the community and the world. Not some poorly written NPCs. As usual Zenimax is doing it wrong.

Angthoron

Arcane
How is exploration? Does the game at least attempt to recreate the experience of wandering off the beaten path and stumbling upon some random dungeons, hidden abodes or quests?
From the very limited experience that I had (busy weekend), not really. Some people were unable to find a cave with a quest compass though, so your mileage may vary, for some this may be some sort of a Magellan's journey.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be fair, emotional investment is a big part of what keeps players in an mmo, but players should be invested in their characters, their friends, the community and the world. Not some poorly written NPCs. As usual Zenimax is doing it wrong.

Yup, I only played goddamn WoW for my bloody "hardcore" friends for years. At least they got bored after Lich King exapnsion :)
Had some real entertaining times with them fuckers, raiding alliance cities and all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom