Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's the beauty of statistics in general, one will always find a reason to dismiss them. Nevertheless, I think it's obvious that Skyrim sell much better on consoles.

Skyrim undoubtedly made most of its initial sales on console, but most of its "long tail" sales are probably on PC. By now that may even be as many as half of them.

Generally speaking, AAA game developers tend to underplay their sales on PC, for reasons which I don't fully understand.

Long term sales are worth a lot less than initial sales. IIRC skyrim's had at least one 75% off sale on steam.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I live in America.

These people CAN find other jobs. They're aren't some public teacher or factory worker or social scientist (people that are fucked).
you have an excess of teachers? or just that there aren't teachers employed because of lol economy?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
you have an excess of teachers? or just that there aren't teachers employed because of lol economy?

A little bit of the former, mostly the latter. Especially any non-Math/Science teachers. Art and Music are being dropped like hot potatoes.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Long term sales are worth a lot less than initial sales.

In the case of a moddable sandbox-ish game like Skyrim that you can play for hundreds of hours, I'm not so sure that's true. These games have long legs - they just keep on selling.

Unless you're talking about the revenue from the sale of one individual copy, in which case, duh.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Long term sales are worth a lot less than initial sales.

In the case of a moddable sandbox-ish game like Skyrim that you can play for hundreds of hours, I'm not so sure that's true. These games have long legs - they just keep on selling.

Unless you're talking about the revenue from the sale of one individual copy, in which case, duh.

The long term sales would have to be several times the number of the full price ones to catch up.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The long term sales would have to be several times the number of the full price ones to catch up.

Yes, and they often are. Game developers on Steam often report making much more money during sales in spite of the steep discounts.

In the case of indie games, it's often much more than even the launch day sales. AAA games might be a different story; I don't think any AAA publisher has ever revealed how their Steam sales broke down between launch day and sales. They rarely even reveal how much they've sold on Steam overall.

Angthoron

Arcane
You don't live in America, so you don't know what it's like here. I do, so I can say with full confidence that America is fucked. "Go out, look for jobs, find one that suits" isn't going to work, because a lot of people with more experience and more connections are doing the same thing. If you have a job here, you'd better do whatever it takes to keep it, because you probably won't be getting another.
Thing is, you don't keep a job that's a project job, unless you're really good and the company wants you on another project. Just the reality of project-based workspace. So thinking that if you land in a large firm, you're set for life in said firm is slightly delusional. If you're lucky, yeah, maybe. If not, well, that's just another note in your CV.

Anyway, DeepOcean pretty much nailed my point.

When the fuck did this thread turn into a murican is so fucked whine thread? You voted for a nigger so you get the nigger treatment, enjoy your machete rape gangs and collapsing economy.

Now let's continue to glutton in the failure of TES:O.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
mJ2W7GG.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Put Lawrence Schick instead, Todd has zero to do with this.

ZOS needed a fucking home run, here, and in my view they haven't got one.

Is anyone hoping this sinks Zenimax? Watching Bethesduh getting bought by EA would be amusing.
It's more realistic that Zenimax buys EA.

Corporate governance
The company's Board of Directors consists of 8 individuals:
  • Robert A. Altman (Chairman & CEO)
  • Ernest Del (President)
  • Jerry Bruckheimer (Jerry Bruckheimer Films)
  • Michael Dominguez (Managing Director, Providence Equity Partners Inc.)
  • Leslie Moonves (President & CEO, CBS Corporation)
  • Cal Ripken, Jr (President & CEO, Ripken Baseball, Inc.)
  • Harry E. Sloan (Chairman, Silver Eagle Acquisition Corp; former Chairman and CEO of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer).
  • Robert S. Trump (President, Trump Management, Inc.; brother of Donald Trump)
Note: Todd Hollenshead the Former President of id Software is not listed in the ZeniMax Board of Directors, on the official ZeniMax website neither are the recent filings mention him, but Hollenshead was a ZeniMax Board member according to a 2009 filing by ZeniMax. It is unknown what period he was a Director.

Other board members in the past included Mark Schneider, the former Chairman and CEO of United Pan-Europe Communications, Inc., as well as Christopher Weaver.

Outside advisors
ZeniMax's Business Advisory Board consists of 7 individuals:
  • John A. Merrigan (Partner of DLA Piper US LLP. Former Democratic Business Council Chairman)
  • Jon Feltheimer (CEO of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.)
  • Terry McAuliffe (Governor of Virginia)
  • George J. Mitchell (Former Senate Majority Leader from Maine. Also previously served as Chairman of Disney)
  • Miguel Sanchez-Nevarro Redo (CEO and Chairman of Editorial Mexico Desconocido)
  • Paul J. Wilmot (Chairman and CEO of Paul Wilmot Communications)
  • Tony Coelho (Former United States House of Representatives Majority Whip)
Previous advisors included Dean Devlin Co-Founder of Centropolis Entertainment, as well as Mark Bilfield, the former Director of Integrated Marketing, at Saatchi & Saatchi.

Investors
ZeniMax Media had many different investors over the years. The investors are Providence Equity Partners, ProSiebenSat.1 Media, Robert A. Altman, Leslie Moonves, Cal Ripken, Jr, Harry E. Sloan, Jerry Bruckheimer, Ernest Del, J. Griffin Lesher, James Cedar, Cindy C. Tallent, Robert S. Trump, Michael J. Domingues, Christopher Weaver, SBS Broadcasting Europe, Ardsley Partners Fund, ZM Investment, The Gordon and Donva Crawford Trust(Gordon Crawford), the Schon Family Trust and ZeniMax private investor Tony Coelho.

Last edited:

John_Blazze

Augur
I took under consideration the horrible harshness of being a software designer in america and I still want to see this game tank. For entertainment reasons.
Will have way more fun this way.

What DeepOcean said should be obvious and even though this is codex, I'll hold off with calling certain people in this thread idiots.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It is exactly like Guild Wars 2, except with no markers for where the raid leaders are and the only run speed buff being really expensive horses.

Angthoron

Arcane
Wow, that is such a shameless copy of the whole GW2 WvW mode. Granted, I do like that sort of stuff as long as it doesn't run down to blobbing (and it pretty much always does), but seriously, they didn't even try to pretend.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Wow, that is such a shameless copy of the whole GW2 WvW mode. Granted, I do like that sort of stuff as long as it doesn't run down to blobbing (and it pretty much always does), but seriously, they didn't even try to pretend.
Even colours remind me perfectly of GW2 WvW, lol, so pretty much this.

Xenich

Cipher
What, you fookin weturds! Dis gum gunna b da bestest eva! fuk yah... lik its alz cik azz in chitz!

(This message brought to you by Bethesda)

Angthoron

Arcane
Btw, did you notice how the nodes and roads around the center form a Star of David? Zionmax gonna zion, I guess.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
GUYS GUYS GUYS
The NDA is lifted!

It sucks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom