Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Avellion

Erudite
I am glad Todd acknowledges that the PC scene is bigger that he thought it was. Hopefully the next Bethesda game wont feel like a console game awkwardly ported to the PC then. But of course this is just wishful thinking, I am sure they will just say "Why bother? The Modding community will fix it in a week anyways and the reviewers will give it 9s and 10s out of 10s regardless of a gimped UI".

Todd is most likely thinking of new ways to exploit the modding community. Perhaps the next Elder Scrolls will be a Garry's Mod sort of thing.
Getting mods onto consoles is the obvious next step, preferably repackaged as DLC or some sort of subscription service. Give the modders a small cut of the income like Valve does with their TF2 item shop, and everyone's happy.
Considering that that Unreal Tournament on the PS3 supported mods (skins, but something is better than nothing). It would make a lot of sense, hopefully if they do implement modding for gen 8 consoles they are a bit more indepth than what the PS3 version of UT3 supported.

But really I do not see any justifiable excuse not to support more indepth modding for modern consoles. Technological limitations is not a good excuse, the PSP and Wii had a modding scene for some of their games leading to mods like Project M. And there is clearly an interest for moddability on consoles too.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Unless nude mods and the likes can be done on this game, it will flop hard.

But every single race looks all fucked up. Who would even want to see them naked?
Actually, cancel that, nude mods were a huge thing for Oblivion and its potato-inbred-people.

How much will this shit cost Bethesda?

Might just be me, but in the few hours I spent in the beta a lot of people were defending the game and getting pissy at the crowds of people criticizing it. As much as we (and the vast majority of people) might think it sucks, there's definitely a strong crowd of people who are prepared to waste all their money on the Imperial Edition and subscription fee.

Avellion

Erudite
Might just be me, but in the few hours I spent in the beta a lot of people were defending the game and getting pissy at the crowds of people criticizing it. As much as we (and the vast majority of people) might think it sucks, there's definitely a strong crowd of people who are prepared to waste all their money on the Imperial Edition and subscription fee.

I remember a guy on another forum who started stalking and harassing me for a few months at every opportunity because I said that SWTOR sucks. Didnt change the fact that he quit the game after 3 months. As blind as the fanboys may appear to be at times, several of the them will eventually see the light and see the game for what it is. Honeymoon periods are prone to cause fanboyism and once the honeymoon period wears off, said fanboys see the game for what it is.

Xenich

Cipher

I remember a guy on another forum who started stalking and harassing me for a few months at every opportunity because I said that SWTOR sucks. Didnt change the fact that he quit the game after 3 months. As blind as the fanboys may appear to be at times, several of the them will eventually see the light and see the game for what it is. Honeymoon periods are prone to cause fanboyism and once the honeymoon period wears off, said fanboys see the game for what it is.

Then there are the types who continue to play a horrible game while complaining about it being horrible only to continue to purchase the expansions and continue playing the horrible game. There are a few from WoW that I know that do that. It is hilarious as they admit the game is shit, but are somehow addicted to the shit game play that they can't seem to quit it or find enjoyment in other games.

Apexeon

Arcane

Then there are the types who continue to play a horrible game while complaining about it being horrible only to continue to purchase the expansions and continue playing the horrible game. There are a few from WoW that I know that do that. It is hilarious as they admit the game is shit, but are somehow addicted to the shit game play that they can't seem to quit it or find enjoyment in other games.

My Bro is like that a WOW crack head.
He has a nose like a vacuum cleaner for the WOW dust.

Xenich

Cipher
Bro Team:

of all terrible things they took from Skyrim, WHY INVENTORY, JUST WHY ?

not even going to bother with this shit even if it's free

Could be any of several different reasons. They plan to release a console version eventually and this way they don't have to deal with major changes? Their interface developers could be console developers and so, they view and design everything from a game pads perspective? Maybe Bethesda said it had to look like Skyrim in every way?

Or... They really are just that fucking stupid.

/shrug

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bro Team:

of all terrible things they took from Skyrim, WHY INVENTORY, JUST WHY ?

not even going to bother with this shit even if it's free

Could be any of several different reasons. They plan to release a console version eventually and this way they don't have to deal with major changes? Their interface developers could be console developers and so, they view and design everything from a game pads perspective? Maybe Bethesda said it had to look like Skyrim in every way?

Or... They really are just that fucking stupid.

/shrug

It's going to be released on console, yes.

abija

Prophet
No, this game is far away from the point where you could say it would have been a good game if not designed for consoles.

Xenich

Cipher
No, this game is far away from the point where you could say it would have been a good game if not designed for consoles.

I am not saying it would be better if it weren't, but being that it was made for console only guarantees that it would be complete shit.

Look at TOR, it was "initially" being designed for consoles as well, but then switched to PC only and even then you could see all the retarded design mechanics that were obviously console focused originally.

Angthoron

Arcane

I am not saying it would be better if it weren't, but being that it was made for console only guarantees that it would be complete shit.

Look at TOR, it was "initially" being designed for consoles as well, but then switched to PC only and even then you could see all the retarded design mechanics that were obviously console focused originally.
What kinda? I've not touched TOR because why would I, so I missed out on some of this.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Personally, I couldn't bear to play TOR for more than a couple of hours, but everything I saw up to that point was lifted straight from WoW. So based on my (admittedly very limited) experience, I wouldn't say it's a particularly consolized game - it's just another shameless WoW clone, like most MMOs.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Didn't get a beta invite, but I did receive an email urging me to hurry up with the pre-purchase of the digital copy of the Imperial Edition "while supplies last".

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
tesoisawesome.png

sochibear5.png
A TOAST MY BROTHERS!

Caim

Arcane
So wait, if you make the intro to your game like Dragon Age: Origins your game is suddenly "incredibly deep"?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So wait, if you make the intro to your game like Dragon Age: Origins your game is suddenly "incredibly deep"?

If the dialogue sucks and shallow you just have no imagination.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
New round of beta invites are out; this time, every invite includes two keys.

No NDA any more, this Friday-Monday, usual times.

Full list of changes since last beta:

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
  • Fixes for game stability at scale

There's also an interesting discussion about UI mods going on. Officially, the game is intended to be highly realistic and immersive:

ZOS is emphasizing that visual cues for enemy abilities that require various player responses are prominently displayed in the world rather than simply as a UI element. Instead of using interface prompts like cast bars or text warnings, players will be required to watch the physical movements of enemies in order to anticipate their attacks.

Meanwhile, in the first UI mod:

Target Enemy Player Live PvP Stats
If you watch just off center of screen, you will see the UI mode display target enemy players [Name, Class, Level, Health/Stamina/Magicka Pools, Buffs, Debuffs, and Spell Casting Interrupt Timer]

Quite a conundrum.

Last edited:

Bahamut

Arcane
Well guess ill check this

Jeez their servers are shitty

Last edited:
The worst thing coming to my mind while looking at this is how instulting the lore-rapes are. And not just to oldfags and fanbase, but to people actually involved in creative steps in the former games (obviously I'm not talking about Oblivion here) and what made TES3, well, magical. I'm not naive enough to think that they'll make Morrowind again, but it constantly reminds me of what Lucas did to the original trilogy - throwing so much shit on the screen it becomes boring instantly.

I can't even care anymore about TES, I think, I'm completely indifferent, let it rot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom