Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Are you pumped for 3/30/14? The devs have released a very special treat for us today:

A LIST OF ENDGAME CONTENT

TYPES OF VETERAN CONTENT

While you can start PvP at level 10, the repeatable nature of the Alliance War means it is also veteran content. There are many different ways to play ESO, but here's a simple breakdown of the most common ways people will experience Veteran Content.

SOLO OR DUO PVP:

You can go through Cyrodiil (ESO’s PvP zone) and quest, collect resources, go into delves, find Skyshards— the same way you play through PvE. Of course, in Cyrodiil there are player enemies who could ambush you at any time, or maybe you prefer to sneak and be the ambusher. The size of Cyrodiil allows you to play how you want, but with risk…

SMALL GROUP PVP:

Groups like this, sometimes referred to as “gank squads,” can run around Cyrodiil taking farms or other resources. They can also be on the lookout for other small enemy groups or solo enemies to kill. Well-coordinated squads will have a ton of activities that make them valuable in the Alliance War.

LARGE GROUP PVP:

Large groups perform tasks like keep sieges, keep defense, taking an Elder Scroll, cutting off enemy supply lines, etc. Large group PvP is a dynamic affair. This is where coordination really pays off—the internet is filled with videos showing beta players in large groups doing just that.

SOLO OR DUO PVE:

Our Veteran Rank zones (playing other Alliance content), are the core of our solo / duo Veteran PvE content. I have said many times that our game opens up at 50—this is what I was talking about. At Veteran Rank 1 you can travel anywhere in the first or second alliance you want to go. When you meet the qualifications for opening up the third alliance, the entirety of the current game world is open to you. Yes, it does get harder, but that’s part of the fun and challenge. When you consider that 2/3 of the hand-crafted content and quests are available to you after you hit the level cap of 50, the veteran solo / duo game is huge. Skyshards, quests, delves, Dark Anchors, crafting, collections, achievements—basically everything you enjoyed during the 1-50 game, are all available at these Veteran Ranks.

FOUR PERSON GROUP PVE:

For group-based Veteran PvE experience, we have our Veteran Dungeons. Veteran dungeons are new experiences and challenges with different stories that take off from where lower-level dungeons ended. There are reasons to repeat them, as they have very difficult achievements associated with them. We will ship with six Veteran Dungeons.

CRAGLORN (ADVENTURE ZONE)

The first ESO Adventure Zone is called Craglorn, a zone that is situated between Hammerfell and Cyrodiil. All content in Craglorn is built for a group of four. The story revolves around a mysterious removal of the constellations from the sky, so the Warrior, the Thief, the Mage, and the Serpent all play a part in unraveling the mystery of Craglorn.

Imagine a zone similar in setup to a standard PvE zone, but tuned for a group of four. Follow a story, or just go explore. Delves are instanced to your group; these are the interior spaces where you’ll always find a boss and a Skyshard. There are events similar in mechanics to Dark Anchors but with a different fiction—and much more difficult. There are also story areas that are similar to very large dungeons—each has a quest guiding you through them. These can be replayed as much as you want. And this is just the tip of the iceberg: there are lots of little events, a full storyline and quests, more crafting opportunities, and entries to the Trials, our large-group Veteran PvE content.

TWELVE PERSON GROUP PVE:

Trials. Twelve people fighting through an increasingly difficult experience. A Trial is instanced to your group of twelve. There is a staging area where you can plan your attack and the Trial itself.

In a Trial, you will have a limited number of resurrections, known as a Soul Reservoir. Too many resurrections mean that you have failed the trial. It takes a lot of coordination to survive a Trial. The enemies you face in a Trial will be difficult, while the surroundings are some of the most beautiful places in ESO. Provided you do survive and make it to the end of a Trial, your group might make it to the leaderboard. Trials have a running clock and mistakes, including deaths, can add a time penalty. Turn in a great time, however, and you might make it to the top of the leaderboard. If you fail, your group can restart and try again.

THE FUTURE

Describing the veteran gameplay strategy in these terms also leaves out a very important, but necessary element in the strategy: new systems or growth in breadth as well as vertical growth of current systems. We will introduce new systems over time which will add to both the pre- and post-level 50 game. Adding fresh new systems helps broaden the experience for all players, giving you even more things to do on a given day. As an example, we might introduce horse racing. For those players who have fed their horses and think they are ready to test their riding skills…

This is just a small example of how breadth of activity is all part of the goal and strategy for The Elder Scrolls Online veteran gameplay. You’re not just building your character for one or two things, but for a variety of activities. Different days of the week and even different hours of the day can change your motivations for what you want to do or experience. We don’t think of people as PvP players or PvE players—they are just gamers and we will support you playing the way you want to play.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. It's too early to say that TESO will "kill" WoW, but it will almost certainly end up having more subscribers.

Last edited:

Whiran

Magister
End Game content = starting game content.

People are going to get bored so quickly of this game :(

Raiding and other group activities is what keeps people in MMOs. ESO doesn't seem to believe in this.

The only "real" group activity is the 12 person "trial" which sounds like an extended tower defense type game... maybe that'll be fun. Maybe. I won't know since I won't experience it.

Nothing in this "end game" interests me. Even their PvP seems to have been done better in Guild Wars 2.

I don't understand it, ESO could have learned from all of the other MMOs out there and made something awesome but, instead, they went with the standard post-WoW MMO format: sell a bunch up front and lose over 50% of the subscribers after the first month. I'm putting my prediction into the pool: ESO goes free-to-play in 12 months. (They strike me as somewhat stubborn so I give them the year.)

Xenich

Cipher
Biggest problem I see with the direction is that everyone keeps going on about "End game" like it is the only point of play in an MMO. This perception of where the actual game is has contributed to the very problem of design IMO. Endgame used to be a "hardcore" definition. It was the concept of play for those who played 24/7 and lived for the game. No, I am not being factitious or flippant when I mention such like the casual fucktards who quantify anything that isn't available and instantly winnable. I am talking about the folks who "lived" games and had to play them through EXTREME hours to reach the end content. Those were the original 1% of gamers. They were the people who could afford to play 10-12 hours a day, and all day and night on the weekend. They were the college kids and folks just working part time. The rest of us "casual" gamer's (yes, back then we called people who played 3-4 hours a night and 10-12 hours over the weekend a "casual gamer") played around professional jobs and the game progression from 1-max mattered. That is, the 1-10 game, the 10-20 game, etc... mattered. It was just as important as this mythical "End game". In fact, it was better because everything we did and achieved contributed to the future development of our progress. End game as I see it in games today is nothing more than a fucking treadmill of wasted time chasing nothing, doing nothing, achieving nothing, all for fucking nothing.

I will take a 1-pre-endgame of a REAL FUCKING GAME any day over this candy ass fagot retarded force fed shit you fucking idiots salivate over. Seriously, its like you are all mindlessly fucking walking into a meat grinder to the tune of Pink Floyd. Seriously, put a fucking bullet in your heads and be done with it. /boggle

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree with you Xenich but what choices of MMORPGs do we have? I'd love to play the original Everquest where 90 % of the playerbase just keeps leveling until the expansion pack comes out but there are no such games left. Runescape maybe, although I never played that.

So well, sure, maybe we shouldn't support modern MMORPGs to show our protest or anything but what will it change? This is pretty much the only genre out there where indies won't stand a chance - at least at the moment (EvE aside). Maybe this changes in the future but at this time you have to take what you get - and I will squeeze a few dozen hours of fun out of it, I'm sure of that. And if I won't, well, my bad.

Xenich

Cipher
I agree with you Xenich but what choices of MMORPGs do we have? I'd love to play the original Everquest where 90 % of the playerbase just keeps leveling until the expansion pack comes out but there are no such games left. Runescape maybe, although I never played that.

So well, sure, maybe we shouldn't support modern MMORPGs to show our protest or anything but what will it change? This is pretty much the only genre out there where indies won't stand a chance - at least at the moment (EvE aside). Maybe this changes in the future but at this time you have to take what you get - and I will squeeze a few dozen hours of fun out of it, I'm sure of that. And if I won't, well, my bad.

Don't play them, let free market economics decide. Did you think the best thing to do during the 80's was to buy the New Kids on the Block CD because it was the mainstream? Or did you spit on it, refuse to fucking patronize that worthless shit and pick the copy of Danzig? Last time I checked, bands like Danzig are still popular and flourishing among their fanbase while the one shot wonder boy bands are... where? I mean... who fucking cares? See the point? Don't... patronize these fucking worthless creations. They will die by the very sword they use.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
a animals.

And neither are you.

You've really not seen that done on purpose before? Of course I know it had to be the

:troll:

Seriously though, that's a pretty old "thing" by now.

Well, I'm from another country than you. So excuse me.
Filthy Internet foreigners.

Perhaps a better way of putting it, is that english isn't my first language.
Now please, stop making unfunny jokes.

Angthoron

Arcane
a animals.

And neither are you.

You've really not seen that done on purpose before? Of course I know it had to be the

:troll:

Seriously though, that's a pretty old "thing" by now.

Well, I'm from another country than you. So excuse me.
Filthy Internet foreigners.

Perhaps a better way of putting it, is that english isn't my first language.
Now please, stop making unfunny jokes.
No need to get all passive-aggressive now. You didn't know it was an old meme, big deal. You riffed on me, I riff on you, why be upset?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I agree with you Xenich but what choices of MMORPGs do we have?
wargames_chess_request.jpg

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Preordered and i'm gonna play it as Khajiit backstabber.
TESO (in theory) matches my playstyle.
In MMOs I usually go with single character and I never rush to max level. TESO is very promising for me since exploration is very rewarding, I don't have to make 2 alts to experience other faction areas. I don't have very high expectations for the quests (nothing like Morrowind), but I hope that they are more interesting than "gather n items", "kill x mobs of type y".
I love crafting gear, which is useless in 95% of MMORPGs. In TESO crafting gear is valid for endgame, you can upgrade dungeon drops, sounds cool.
I like to change roles/builds, TESO gives you so many possiblities in this area.
PvP also sounds nice, prefer to do it in large, open zone rather than "arena matches".
Oh well, we will see how it is in practice.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Preordered and i'm gonna play it as Khajiit backstabber.
TESO (in theory) matches my playstyle.
In MMOs I usually go with single character and I never rush to max level. TESO is very promising for me since exploration is very rewarding, I don't have to make 2 alts to experience other faction areas. I don't have very high expectations for the quests (nothing like Morrowind), but I hope that they are more interesting than "gather n items", "kill x mobs of type y".
I love crafting gear, which is useless in 95% of MMORPGs. In TESO crafting gear is valid for endgame, you can upgrade dungeon drops, sounds cool.
I like to change roles/builds, TESO gives you so many possiblities in this area.
PvP also sounds nice, prefer to do it in large, open zone rather than "arena matches".
Oh well, we will see how it is in practice.

Great another one, we can now form a guild!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom