Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Delterius

Arcane
Fates has even more cheesy / kitschy writing than Awakening. Believe it or not.
i think fates is an achievement in writing

awakening writing left me hollow. it was the same as a bag of chips

fates' writing made it so that after beating the game i reloaded the final battle and killed the main character because they deserved it

Incognito/STK

Educated
would anyone here recommend playing Awakening, Fates or Echoes?
i don't believe any of these is a masterpiece, but i thought about giving one of them a chance at least. so any recommendations?

Go with Awakening in classic hard mode. For what is worth, it rekindled interest in FE and allowed the series to continue. Don't worry about the story being cringe. They all are.

would anyone here recommend playing Awakening, Fates or Echoes?
i don't believe any of these is a masterpiece, but i thought about giving one of them a chance at least. so any recommendations?

I had fun playing Birthright. The game stands out in the franchise for it's unique aesthetics. Music is decent too. Plot is by the numbers and has some wonky story beats but is executed well enough. Gameplay is decent. Conquest has better designed maps but the story is terrible, and I wasn't into the aesthetics. I own Revelation but never got around to playing that one. I have 100-200 hours invested into Fates total.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
fates conquest has great combat other than that not very much good stuff in fates games

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm trying to bear in mind this is some kind of anniversary product, so the peppy, sentimental tone with copious references to previous titles is by design.

On the other hand, this ain't 1999-2001 where it takes a year to make Majora's Mask after Ocarina Time. Game development timelines are so long these days that when isn't a given release year something's anniversary?

Whole thing feels like something of a step back after Three House's "kill, fuck, marry" approach to factional routes.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I'm trying to bear in mind this is some kind of anniversary product, so the peppy, sentimental tone with copious references to previous titles is by design.
eh it's not like IS needs excuses. awakening already had a ton of dlc maps for nostalgia. the mobile game and the dynasty warriors clone did the same thing. this is actually their fourth crossover product.

cruel

Cipher
So, they had years to prepare the story / plot / character design for the game, and they came up with:
- red & blue hair protagonist
- 'evil awakens' main plot
- 'collect 12 rings' as the main objective

Seriously, WTF? I think that a bunch of monkeys would probably be more creative than that.

What's even worse - I will still play it, because the gameplay will be probably good. But still, it's nice if the game story doesn't suck before you even start it :/

Seriously, WTF? I think that a bunch of monkeys would probably be more creative than that.

Supposedly the writer IS hired for Fates came up with a huge world bible and massive scripts for each route, but IS threw that stuff out. Seems like IS just can't be bothered to put in the effort to implement a good story.

deuxhero

Arcane
So, they had years to prepare the story / plot / character design for the game, and they came up with:
- red & blue hair protagonist
- 'evil awakens' main plot
- 'collect 12 rings' as the main objective

What's even worse - I will still play it, because the gameplay will be probably good. But still, it's nice if the game story doesn't suck before you even start it :/

If the leak that leaked this game first is to be believed, it was meant as an aniversary title before Wuhan Flu, so "evil awakens" was likely intentionally cliche. Protag design still retarded.

vibehunter

Learned
I’ve been playing New Mystery and I just found out that there’s a bad ending and a true ending. Turns out I missed one of the astral shards, and so I am now doomed to get the bad ending (I have no save files or save states for the chapter I need).

What a bunch of bullshit. The game makes little to no effort informing the player about this. Is this a relic of Kaga era design? Pretty pissed off right now.

Endemic

Arcane
I’ve been playing New Mystery and I just found out that there’s a bad ending and a true ending. Turns out I missed one of the astral shards, and so I am now doomed to get the bad ending (I have no save files or save states for the chapter I need).

What a bunch of bullshit. The game makes little to no effort informing the player about this.

Wendell discusses the shards with Marth at the end of chapter 6. Direct quote "...if even one of them is lost, the world will fall into irreparable ruin. By any means possible, we must gather the twelve star shards and restore the Starsphere."

vibehunter

Learned

What a bunch of bullshit. The game makes little to no effort informing the player about this.

Wendell discusses the shards with Marth at the end of chapter 6. Direct quote "...if even one of them is lost, the world will fall into irreparable ruin. By any means possible, we must gather the twelve star shards and restore the Starsphere."

I fucked up. I didn't put two and two together and realize that the flat stat boost items that you find in the maps were actually the Star shards. I must have missed one and thought nothing of it.

Puukko

Arcane
Alright fellas, allow me to shill for a game I imagine most people here haven't given even five seconds of thought, but which took me by surprise and is a serious contender for my game of the year. Three Hopes is a spin off that improves upon the original in many ways and has much more going for it than one would expect out of a musou. The strategy elements are fully present. I will do my best to keep this relatively brief but there's a lot to talk about. I'm currently up to chapter 11 of the Golden Deer route, a bit past the midway point after some 50 hours, on Hard.

+ combat is fought against hordes of weak mooks, stronger unnamed leaders as well as named bosses. Mooks serve to fill various gauges and the kill count required for a good rank, leaders may protect holds, named enemies often act as the boss of the map.
+ weapon and type weaknesses are present, determined by class, weapon type and battalions. Advantage obviously leads to more damage, but also easier breaking of the stun gauge on stronger enemies. When the gauge is broken, the enemy and nearby mooks can be rushed for huge damage which stuns, pauses time and sends them flying. Breaking enemy gauges is the bread and butter of the regular combat loop.
+ every class has unique qualities fit for different purposes. Combos and class specialties have enough depth to keep you learning. Shame only one of four 3H DLC classes is here.
+ amount of deployable units varies, but up to four can be personally controlled, while the rest are given generic commands. Controlled units have access to arts and can be paired with another unit, controlled or not, which gives lots of bonuses. Others can be told to move, attack a target, guard an ally or base, heal etc.
+ pairing units relies on support levels for good results. Adjutants appear periodically to damage or block and help in special attacks. If both units in the pair are controllable, they can be easily switched between mid combat which enables plenty of additional tactics due to all the weapon weakness considerations. Otherwise the adjutant unit will just be a passive bonus.
+ knowing which units to bring, balancing optimal teams vs grinding levels and class ranks, how to pair units, reacting to changing main and side objectives (claim base, defeat specific enemy, protect ally, don't let enemy escape, etc) and doing all this while getting good ranks leads to lots of planning and gitting gud to achieve better results. A satisfying gameplay loop overall.

+ vast majority of 3H systems are present but tweaked and condensed. There is a lot to do at the base but a lot of it can be done flexibly. A chapter's non-combat activities can be done in 15 minutes, helped by 'optimize' buttons. You get a fixed number of training and social points per chapter that you probably don't want to spend all at once. The biggest time and resource sink is facility management to get more out of the canteen, blacksmith, training grounds, tactics academy and so on. Resources are a constant bottleneck - I recently got my first master seals for master classes but lack the resources to upgrade my training grounds for the exams. Overall think of this as the monastery and lecture phases, except with more tangible results, less time wasted, and you can drop into a battle at any time without losing anything.
+ real sense of hands-on war campaign progression. You take over smaller areas via side battles, then reap the rewards from villagers, resource spots and other miscellaneous non combat locations. Claim areas until the main battle of the chapter where the story goes forward. Enemy units are recruited in battle by beating them.

:love:

+ big improvement in overall writing quality. Expansion of the world and setting, introducing many previously briefly mentioned characters like the noble house heads, a few new faces, even a new continent. Fleshing out old characters.
+ better support conversations with less tropey repetition. In 3H, Sylvain was always trying to woo women. Bernie was always a nervous wreck apologizing when someone bumped into her. The majority of characters were sucking off Byleth. Here everyone is given more depth, I even find myself liking Lorenz.
+ neat rivalry between MC and Byleth. The game gives Byleth the name from your 3H save by default (presumably if gender matches, so female in both games for me) and seeing "<your name> appeared on the battlefield!" never gets old. I'm essentially having a rivalry with myself.

+ very flashy and entertaining special attacks. Landing those at the right time, using arts to counter and dodge enemy arts, watching bosses go flying in slow mo, all very satisfying.

Lysithea's life expectancy just got even shorter. Too bad she's on my team.

+ a real unsung hero of a soundtrack with a crap ton of songs. Fittingly high energy riffs, remixed familiar themes, even fixed some of the more boring ones from 3H.

+ a couple technical details. Yuzu under Vulkan gives good performance at a nearly locked 60 for me. The most glaring issue is nuclear torches in night maps and some story cutscenes, and the occasional catastrophic graphical meltdown. Memory leaks at times too, which can be mended with tools like Mem Reduct. Entirely playable as it is, but it could still be better.

If you actually read this far, cheers. There's going to be people who think "Three Houses, lol, musou, lmao" and I'm not going be able to change their minds, but if I got even one person to try out this game, writing this was worth it. The question I don't have an easy answer for is who should play this game. If you liked 3H and want more of that setting, it's a no brainer. If you wanted to get into it but was turned off by something, changes are good Three Hopes fixes whatever that issue was. If you've never touched 3H... that's not so clear cut. A lot of my appreciation for this game is enabled by having played 3H, but I guess it could go the other way as well. Realistically though, this game was made for a specific audience.

Rephyrnomicon

Novice
I know I'm a fucking moron, but pretty excited for this. I know, deep down, it's going to be shit... But I can't help myself.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I know I'm a fucking moron, but pretty excited for this. I know, deep down, it's going to be shit... But I can't help myself.
Don't give up hope. Sonic Frontiers looks like absolute shit if you watch trailers or gameplay videos, but when you play it it's amazing. This could be the same thing.

Puukko

Arcane
My good friend Ivan graciously lent me his copy of Engage to try out. Some early impressions after four chapters.

I'm having a good time with it, mostly thanks to the fun gameplay. The emblem mechanic adds lots of extra consideration. It is strong, and the maps have recharge spots so you can try and keep it going. The fourth chapter gave the ring to three units out of ten. Marth just has a strong single target attack, while Sigurd has movement for days and Celica gets a 10 square ragnarok warp, and can split spells to make two weaker attacks in a row to try and finish off two different enemies. I don't know if later on the whole team will have rings, but it seems plausible. That's when it may get imbalanced.

You can select Maddening from the get go. So far I am happy with that choice, it isn't completely busting my nuts but it is challenging. You can change it down but not up. The weapon triangle is stronger than ever and you really want to make the most of it.

The UI/UX have had some interesting changes with some rough edges. There's a lot of info available but I wish seeing enemy equipment was faster. There's an opacity slider for the grid which is a small but very good change. The camera is odd, you only get about 90 degrees of free movement. I really don't get why.

We've shat on the designs and I'm not going to beat on that horse, but I will say that there's a clash of styles going on. I am not entirely negative on the designs, but having very overdesigned characters next to very mundane ones makes them stand out even more, and on top of that the character proportions are all over the place. You've got these large headed moe characters next to ones from the other end of the spectrum.

Story and writing is about what you can expect, they've gone back to the style of the 3DS games. The MC is quite possibly the most special yet if you can imagine it. It's a popcorn anime ride with little flesh around the bones. I really wish they had kept iterating on the improved writing in Three Houses. Three Hopes actually already did so they were going in the right direction.

Music's pretty fun, mixing genres. No riffs so far, more electronic.

Technical details, the game runs great on Ryujinx. Prerendered cutscenes seem to run a bit choppy. The framerate unlocks but the controls speed up past 30. I locked it to 60 which is still a bit fast but it looks and feels like ass at 30, really not a worthwhile tradeoff. Yuzu crashes.

Last edited:

vibehunter

Learned
My good friend Ivan graciously lent me his copy of Engage to try out. Some early impressions after four chapters.

I'm having a good time with it, mostly thanks to the fun gameplay. The emblem mechanic adds lots of extra consideration. It is strong, and the maps have recharge spots so you can try and keep it going. The fourth chapter gave the ring to three units out of ten. Marth just has a strong single target attack, while Sigurd has movement for days and Celica gets a 10 square ragnarok warp, and can split spells to make two weaker attacks in a row to try and finish off two different enemies. I don't know if later on the whole team will have rings, but it seems plausible. That's when it may get imbalanced.

You can select Maddening from the get go. So far I am happy with that choice, it isn't completely busting my nuts but it is challenging. You can change it down but not up. The weapon triangle is stronger than ever and you really want to make the most of it.

The UI/UX have had some interesting changes with some rough edges. There's a lot of info available but I wish seeing enemy equipment was faster. There's an opacity slider for the grid which is a small but very good change. The camera is odd, you only get about 90 degrees of free movement. I really don't get why.

We've shat on the designs and I'm not going to beat on that horse, but I will say that there's a clash of styles going on. I am not entirely negative on the designs, but having very overdesigned characters next to very mundane ones makes them stand out even more, and on top of that the character proportions are all over the place. You've got these large headed moe characters next to ones from the other end of the spectrum.

Story and writing is about what you can expect, they've gone back to the style of the 3DS games. The MC is quite possibly the most special yet if you can imagine it. It's a popcorn anime ride with little flesh around the bones. I really wish they had kept iterating on the improved writing in Three Houses. Three Hopes actually already did so they were going in the right direction.

Music's pretty fun, mixing genres. No riffs so far, more electronic.

Technical details, the game runs great on Ryujinx. Prerendered cutscenes seem to run a bit choppy. The framerate unlocks but the controls speed up past 30. I locked it to 60 which is still a bit fast but it looks and feels like ass at 30, really not a worthwhile tradeoff. Yuzu crashes.
Nice, I’ll probably pick this up at some point if they’ve truly dialed up the tactics side of things. I’m really glad to see the weapon triangle return in a significant way. Maddening sounds good for a 1st run.

I can live with the designs and overall tone of the game. My hope is that the FE4 remake, if it actually exists, will be more grounded.

vibehunter

Learned
My hope is that the FE4 remake, if it actually exists, will be more grounded.

Even if the script is kept exactly the same, they're going to add voice acting and that right there is going to butcher the tone.
I have no illusions about the remake matching the original tonally. There's no way current-day IntSys can or is even willing to do that. It will likely feel more like 3 Houses.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yuzu under Vulkan gives good performance at a nearly locked 60 for me. The most glaring issue is nuclear torches in night maps and some story cutscenes, and the occasional catastrophic graphical meltdown. Memory leaks at times too, which can be mended with tools like Mem Reduct. Entirely playable as it is, but it could still be better.
Huh this is playable emulated? Interesting... I didn't realise we were at that point yet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom