Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wpn triangles I think do exist but only as a subsidiary system, and from what I've seen combat arts and other additions mean that you're going from a strategy game where the capacity of each unit is tightly defined, to units that have a variety of powers they can use - which easily runs the risk of overpowering players and giving them too many tools for any situation, as opposed to having to set things up just right.

Thing is some character being unkillable juggernauts, especially mid game onward is a problem in all FE games even from GBA games unless you play on Hard (or Lunatic in later FE games). But weapon triangle limits that to some extend.

Removing the system will break the game unless they compensate with stronger enemies.

The triangle system instead is put in character skills like Axe, Sword, Lance breaker from what I see but I dont have info on how prominent they are on the fodders

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
It's not the weapon triangle that's a problem (it's only statistically significant in FE4). It's that player units turn into juggernauts that kill on enemy phase, and enemy offensive stats are too low.

From what I'm hearing so far, Byleth and the lords can just mow down most of the opposition themselves. A friend of mine has Byleth and Dmitri at level 17/18 after just 10 or so maps (including side ones).
Wpn triangles I think do exist but only as a subsidiary system, and from what I've seen combat arts and other additions mean that you're going from a strategy game where the capacity of each unit is tightly defined, to units that have a variety of powers they can use - which easily runs the risk of overpowering players and giving them too many tools for any situation, as opposed to having to set things up just right.
So this series is well and truly dead.

Ent

Savant
Some of the chapters post timeskip are pretty nice and have potential to be pretty difficult with some tweaking. I'm hoping for lunatic mode to actually provide more of an actual challenge. Other than that - I'm enjoying the game as a whole more than the 3DS ones. This ones version of the pair up system is not ridiculous like the previous incarnations. Also they should probably keep whoever wrote the plot and dialogue for this game its miles better than some of the more recent outings.

Tigranes

Arcane
I guess I am desperately hoping map design and difficulty is adequate enough that you can skip the weeaboo and have some decent combat. Couldnt you minimise school princess maker shit to make it more challenging anyway?

I played Conquest while skipping Awakening and Echoes because that way you could pretend it was still sort of lile the GBAs gameplay wise.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well my quest to find someone talking about the maps ended in failure so fuck it. I'll try to pick it up as soon as its back in stock around here. I called a gamestop asking about it and they said it was sold out everywhere in the austin area and the closest store that might have one was an hour away. They should be getting more copies in by tuesday so I'll try to get it by then and report back on some maps.

IceyD

Scholar
Well my quest to find someone talking about the maps ended in failure so fuck it. I'll try to pick it up as soon as its back in stock around here. I called a gamestop asking about it and they said it was sold out everywhere in the austin area and the closest store that might have one was an hour away. They should be getting more copies in by tuesday so I'll try to get it by then and report back on some maps.

gamestop doesn't stock up for new games so they can convince people to preorder next time. just swing by target or bestbuy.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game was the top selling game in the UK. It almost doubles the sales of Awakening and it more than doubles the sales of the Fates games.

Womfenstein: Youngblood came in second place. Three Houses sold twice as many boxed copies.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

gamestop doesn't stock up for new games so they can convince people to preorder next time. just swing by target or bestbuy.
I didn't check target or best buy but I did check a walmart after work one day and they were sold out too. I'll give those a call in a day or two. I'm in no real rush. The main reason I searched for it before was because my shift was moved from 5PM to 6 without anyone telling me so I had an hour to kill before work.

deuxhero

Arcane

Thing is some character being unkillable juggernauts, especially mid game onward is a problem in all FE games even from GBA games unless you play on Hard (or Lunatic in later FE games). But weapon triangle limits that to some extend.

Removing the system will break the game unless they compensate with stronger enemies.

The triangle system instead is put in character skills like Axe, Sword, Lance breaker from what I see but I dont have info on how prominent they are on the fodders

Nah, weapon triangle really had minimal effect on stats by mid-game most of the time. In the games it did have a notable effect the enemy units operated in pretty homogeneous groups and/or one weapon type was terrible (FE6 had utterly terrible and mostly unusable axes).

Also they already removed the triangle in Radiant Dawn maniac mode. It doesn't really change the game all that much.

thesecret1

Arcane
I tried Fire Emblem Fates and Awakening, and found the writing worse than terrible. Offensively bad to the point I couldn't continue playing. Is Three Houses any better? It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, just something that doesn't read like it was written for lecherous 10 year olds by someone with Downs.

Endemic

Arcane
It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, just something that doesn't read like it was written for lecherous 10 year olds by someone with Downs.

There's some occasional anime stupidity and the side stuff is meh, but on the whole it's written much better. Characters like Dmitri and Dedue are actually interesting. Attention has been paid to world-building and giving the factions their own ideologies and ambitions that clash with each other.

Unfortunately IS couldn't resist
making the Church mostly corrupt and loathsome
or
killing off Byleth's father in the first half of the game

thesecret1

Arcane
There's some occasional anime stupidity and the side stuff is meh, but on the whole it's written much better. Characters like Dmitri and Dedue are actually interesting. Attention has been paid to world-building and giving the factions their own ideologies and ambitions that clash with each other.
Then it might be worth a try. As long as they at least try to have the actions of everyone make some sort of sense rather than stumble from one plothole to another like in Awakening.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
alright yeah i'm skipping any scene with Bernadetta jesus christ

For some reason, at least on my playthrough, she's building support 2x as fast as any other character. So on one hand, I'm having to go through her dumb-as-shit repetitive conversations every time I fight a battle - on the other, hopefully they'll all be over with before I delete the game.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I tried Fire Emblem Fates and Awakening, and found the writing worse than terrible. Offensively bad to the point I couldn't continue playing. Is Three Houses any better? It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, just something that doesn't read like it was written for lecherous 10 year olds by someone with Downs.
Echoes already proved you can have a decent story in modern FE but nobody played it.

Endemic

Arcane
Echoes already proved you can have a decent story in modern FE but nobody played it.

I don't really count that, since the basis of the script was written in 1992, and some of the expanded dialogue is of questionable quality (some of Celica's scenes come to mind). As I said before, Gaiden's real problem was the map design, which wasn't fixed in Echoes.

New Mystery/FE12 does at least deliver on the gameplay front (on the higher difficulties), so I will give IS credit for that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Couldnt you minimise school princess maker shit
But that looks like the actual fun part. Hogwarts ahoy

I am not so hot on hide in the forest square hopping stat-comparing tactics. (I watched some episodes of CohhCarnage lp)
But managing big cast of waifus characters Valkyria Chronices-style, changing their classes and growing them up into pegasus knights? count me in

I just can't get into Three Houses right now with all the bloat. I ordered a copy of Path of Radiance that I'm going to play instead. I haven't played Path of Radiance yet. Any advice?

Tigranes

Arcane

I don't really count that, since the basis of the script was written in 1992, and some of the expanded dialogue is of questionable quality (some of Celica's scenes come to mind). As I said before, Gaiden's real problem was the map design, which wasn't fixed in Echoes.

New Mystery/FE12 does at least deliver on the gameplay front (on the higher difficulties), so I will give IS credit for that.

Yep. I couldn't stomach Echoes because of the map design. Literally the first battle or something is "you see a bandit in a 16x16 room, what do you do?"

I just can't get into Three Houses right now with all the bloat. I ordered a copy of Path of Radiance that I'm going to play instead. I haven't played Path of Radiance yet. Any advice?

Play it, have fun!

Endemic

Arcane

Axes are overpowered, so abuse them. :P I would just play on an emulator because you can speed up enemy phase that way.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well someone working on three houses likes persona. I think I'm a little under an hour of play time and I've had one tutorial fight and everything else has been cutscenes or talking. Ugh. I'm already bored. I'll pick this up later.

Twizman

Scholar
Seeing how well this title is selling strongly reflects how my preferences are in the minority. It's a nice feeling though to see similar feelings on the codex.

kirin

Learned
EAk-D5er-UIAEKIff-1.jpg

how accurate is this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom