Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Great Avatar Purge

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: RPG Codex

Once upon a time, the Codex didn't allow you to have custom avatars, you had to choose from a gallery which was full of images from various RPGs and tactical games. This is because that custom avatar you wanted to use is stupid. And ugly.

Then we upgraded to XenForo, and as that didn't have a built-in gallery feature, people used custom avatars for a time. And yay, avatars became stupid and ugly.

Earlier this year however, we paid someone to build a gallery system for us because DU has not yet into OOP and XenForo code is foreign and strange to him. Also lack of time.

We didn't remove old custom avatars at the time though, because we wanted to make sure the gallery was working properly. In the end, apart from some issues with GIF avatars (hence we've removed all GIF avatars from the gallery), everything seems to be working well. So the time has come to remove those custom avatars.

However because of the way XenForo stores avatars (which is as a physical file based on your user id stashed under the data directory), there's no way to tell who has old custom avatars and who's already using an image from the gallery - without going through them one by one. So in the tradition of the Codex - in order to remove all old custom avatars - we just purged everything.

That's why you've lost your avatar today.

Those who had custom avatars as a result of some agreement (IE: Codexian troll avatars drawn by MCA during one of our fundraiser campaigns) will have them re-instated. I've gone through and re-added most of them for those users. If there's anyone I've missed, let me know.

Otherwise, please feel free to peruse our gallery and choose an avatar that you feel suits you best. One day we may allow you to pay for a custom avatar because we're sell-outs like that. But that's one day, not today.

Monty

Arcane
Some of the custom avatars were interesting. Were they really that much of a problem?

(and meanwhileinPolands posts just won't be the same.... :()

deuxhero

Arcane
Hmm, now to find something as classy as a minimalist vector of an obscure game's logo.

edit: this will do. I really dislike humans as avatars.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wanted to pick the homm2 vampire lord but got an error, (something about the smallest dimension having to be bigger than half the biggest). plz fix.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
At first I was happy. Much incline, great thanks to noble leader.

Then I noticed the Prelude to Darkness gallery is incomplete. I'll resize and submit the full package myself, just need to know the preferred resolution and max size. Crooked Bee ?

Random

Arcane
Patron
God, DAMN it

You had ONE JOB DU

:negative:

What am I without my Spiteful Crow avatar?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom