Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You're stuck in overflow because they're running their game servers on hardware powered by potato.

Angthoron

Arcane
More like because of chest boss gank trains, but since that's a thing, I can't really see the populations taking a massive dive yet. Plus overflow in LA, what the hell.

Generally seems the pops peak when content is added, then drops, then peaks again with new events. Makes sense, of course, no need to actually pay sub, so there's no feeling of obligation to play.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Obviously the population isn't dying entirely. There's still a constant stream of newcomers and regulars to keep it populated, but I'm seeing tons of people leaving and citing boredom, tedium and lack of meaningful endgame as reasons. Seems to be a lot higher than I was expecting from what was allegedly the most revolutionary MMO the world has ever seen. Out of the 10 friends who used to play this with me, the last one hasn't logged in in over two months.

Angthoron

Arcane
Ah, you mean the endgame drop-off. Yeah, that's a thing for sure. My friendlist isn't quite so radical, got a lot of people logging in daily. It does have a lot to do with the actual lack of a gear treadmill in fact - many people from regular MMOs would expect to see the power meter grow on and on, while here you can pretty much hit the ceiling with just the Karma gear if your build was for it, then cheaply craft a pair of weapons at Zomorros and be done with gearing. That's what I did with my Guardian - he was wearing crap greens at 79, and then at 80 I suddenly had him in 90% exotic/10% rares in one day's space. Now considering if I want to get Cultural T3 or not, I've got the gold for it, but hm.

To me personally, right now, it's about the dungeons. Reminds me of the early WoW days, when everything wasn't fully polished, and permitted for both massive one-player fuck-ups, and one-player heroic displays. There's that here. Sadly, I've not had enough time to go grouping lately, so I've just logged in to do the dailies, kill a few world bosses, make a bit of coin and log, or play with friends a bit. Or level an alt. Then again, that's how I am with WoW too. Busy spring.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I wonder what it is that generates such rabid fanboyism in GW2 players? Last night while posting a bit on the forums I was constantly besieged by members who simply did not want to hear ill spoken of their game, and those two threads you linked show similar behavior from some members. I've noticed it on other forums as well. If you're planning on criticizing the game, it seems you must at all times keep your flame-suit at the ready.

They're almost as bad as Biodrones.

Angthoron

Arcane
Same as other rabid fanboys really. All rabid fanboys are shit, no matter what the topic of their worship is. To be fair, the worst fanboys I've seen are probably those in LotRO, they managed to deny and excuse blatant bugs that I and several other experienced players pointed out. Needless to say, once that got shouted down, Turbine ignored it for almost a year, more or less ruining the member base in the process and ending up F2P prematurely. Of course, I'm not saying that my ideas were THE BOMB, but they were actually all factual. Go figure.

One issue that a critic of GW2 might be facing is the lack of actual user stats, though. You can cite your friend list and your gut feeling, and XFire stats til you turn blue, but basically you're still not having any kind of solid data to operate besides "I think so" or "This completely useless third-party tool told me so". I also think that in part, ANet's goal IS to have departure and renewal of the userbase, rather than a full retainment of a core, since they make their money on box sales (still same price as at launch) and the service shop.

LeJosh

Savant
Anyone know a decent guild to join? Using a level 76 engineer just now and the guild I joined initially is dead.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
That depends on your server of course. If you just want a big guild to play with, join your WvW realm and look who there has the biggest zergs, most of the time the top WvW guilds in any server also have a lot of people playing just the PvE content.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I really don't like this model. When that Super adventure box came I wasn't playing anymore, now I've returned in but that whole content is just not available anymore, which is plain bullshit. If they keep doing things like this, the game will never grow for real.
Things like adventure box will return and they're going to include more permanent content. I still like the game and I play it whenever they release new stuff (which is happening quite often lately). Yes, it has problems and they fucked up a lot of things that GW1 did right but because of lack of subscription it doesn't annoy me that much, game is only becoming better.

LeJosh

Savant
That depends on your server of course. If you just want a big guild to play with, join your WvW realm and look who there has the biggest zergs, most of the time the top WvW guilds in any server also have a lot of people playing just the PvE content.

Good thinking, I'm currently on Desolation, fairly certain the mammoth guilds are on there.

I wonder what it is that generates such rabid fanboyism in GW2 players? Last night while posting a bit on the forums I was constantly besieged by members who simply did not want to hear ill spoken of their game, and those two threads you linked show similar behavior from some members. I've noticed it on other forums as well. If you're planning on criticizing the game, it seems you must at all times keep your flame-suit at the ready.

They're almost as bad as Biodrones.

Late, but take a look at this:

garethh.3518:

KarlaGrey.5903:

If Anet spent as much time contemplating Gw2, we’d have a completely different game.

Hindsight is 20/20, but yeah I would have killed to get into the game’s alpha testing.

I like you, but here’s a reality check.

In alpha there was a guy, Ensign, who has unparalleled insight into this game / everything. At minimum, he is at least as smart / insightful as you – though I would consider this to be an insultingly conservative estimate. He was a huge pvp figure in gw1, it was often joked that one of the top guilds was just him on 8 computers.

Ensign was in the alpha, well respected by all the players, and gave anet buckets upon buckets of great suggestions and analysis. Ensign was later kicked out of the alpha for being a negative influence since everyone agreed with what he wrote (you know, because it made sense). It wouldn’t matter if you were in alpha because the devs would never tell you anything more than “Yeah we’ll take that into consideration, cya”

As a player you have no influence over design, the best thing you can hope for is whatever our boy Grouch is doing behind the scenes to try and make things better.

I remember Ensign from GW1. Great guy, definitely knew a lot, was a great player, and one of the most articulate about the game. Hearing that he was banned in the Alpha because he wasn't a feelgood carebear to the devs makes everything else make sense.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yup. A.net literally sold their soul to the carebear feelgoods. It is a goddamn shame what they did to their game/IP. It's the age old "we don't listen to our top players because we think we are better than them" syndrome.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
gw2yearone6jkfp.png

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah... that's not very impressive. Most MMOs accomplish far more in their first year.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
achievements . lol.
i.. i just can't. TBH, after playing it to death and uninstalling it, there's hardly any incentive to come back.
They can shout about living worlds, new activities etc - I'm still not feeling the urge to return.

DramaticPopcorn

LOL @ FoTM as "completely new take on the dungeons"... same DPS fest shit as dungeons only with a RANDOM gimmick.

Yeah... that's not very impressive. Most MMOs accomplish far more in their first year.
I agree, but still, they're about to finish their cycle of periodic events, like Mad King, Wintersday, SAB, Queen's Jubilee (GW2's anniversary) and etc. All these were quite good except for Winterday's quests inside that damn blimp where you had to kill 10 billions of stupid dolls.

Starting from next month they'll work on permanent stuff, which will probably vastly increase the number of maps, skills, dungeons, jumping puzzles and etc. Also Guild Halls and GVG.

I HOPE :rpgcodex: That's what they said at least, and that's what they did on GW1, that I also played since year 1. With year 2 came Factions, that's definitely something that'd improve GW2 IMO: Factions-sized update and Factions PVP with a divided world. Cantha is also charming as fuck

I doubt anything they can do will truly fix GW2. And if by chance there is some way to fix GW2, I doubt they will do it.

Piling more shit on a game that is simply mechanically rotten to the core won't help things.

made

Arcane
Can you summarize in a few sentences what's wrong with the game?

I still want to play it at some point mainly for the exploration aspect but the way things are going I'm not inclined to spend even one dollar on it anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom