Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
My biggest gripe with GW2 is just how much of a chore it is to make money. I don't think the Diminishing Returns system is implemented so much to prevent botting as it is to prevent players from becoming rich easily. I'll admit, in WoW getting your hands on gold is way too easy, but in GW2 it feels like there simply isn't an easy and effective way of making gold that doesn't involve copious amounts of grinding over long periods of time. Dungeons are probably the easiest way to make gold, but even there you're likely to hit the DR pretty fast and it would take a few dungeon runs to just get enough gold together for your next exotic piece.

When doing the events in Orr you'd have to be very lucky not to hit the DR threshold. And that's level 80 content. It's fucking ridiculous.

Angthoron

Arcane
My biggest gripe with GW2 is just how much of a chore it is to make money. I don't think the Diminishing Returns system is implemented so much to prevent botting as it is to prevent players from becoming rich easily. I'll admit, in WoW getting your hands on gold is way too easy, but in GW2 it feels like there simply isn't an easy and effective way of making gold that doesn't involve copious amounts of grinding over long periods of time. Dungeons are probably the easiest way to make gold, but even there you're likely to hit the DR pretty fast and it would take a few dungeon runs to just get enough gold together for your next exotic piece.

When doing the events in Orr you'd have to be very lucky not to hit the DR threshold. And that's level 80 content. It's fucking ridiculous.
I felt that way before, but after a friend recommended me to use master/lion salvage kits on rares, I sorta started to change my mind. Sure, it's still not a massive gain, but just flipping through all the chest events (can be pretty easy if you hop realms to guest about) will net between 3 and 5g on the average.

Of course, your mileage for decent gold gain might vary.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Everything, every single thing, mentioned here is like that thing Darth Roxor was talking about, well before and at the time of release. And nobody listened, no, 'u mad darth roxor, gw2 is the best mmo ever, i played it for 2 hours and i know it already, es so mucho mucho better than guild wars1'.

Suckers :smug:

Angthoron

Arcane
What's abominable about dungeons? I can get behind the "grind is overwhelming" and "everything is tied to timers" stuff, for sure, but uhm, what's the issue with dungeon content? It's miles above the abominable WoW dungeons for last 3 expansions simply by the fact that you can actually fail, even on the trash, and it takes more than 8 minutes to complete a dungeon run with a gang of brainless retards with aimbots.

Yeah, and being actually unable to fail in GW2 dungeons makes it better how?
Define "fail". I've seen people wipe and die and have to re-run. They were possibly scrubs, but I've seen more failures in GW2 in about last 2 weeks than I've seen in WoW for 2 years outside raid environment. If you mean "Fuck this shit, I'm going home", then yeah, I've not seen that a whole lot, but again, I actually have seen that, mainly in CoF.

Because in the article he brought up something every GW2 circlejerk says: "there is no grinding, there is no endgame, there is no pressure to level" Yet there are these walls that you cannot get past unless you do actually level up. Like every hit being glancing, conditions not being applied unless you are within 7 levels with the mob. Oh, and "no endgame" is complete bullshit simply because you don't gear yourself out in exotics unless you are, you know, level 80. Which is sort of an endgame goal in itself since it's the only way to min-max attributes.
Ah, so you responded to a stupid compliment with a stupid complaint, got you.

By the way, endgame in MMOs refers to raiding. There's no raiding in GW2. The fact that you end up collecting exotics does not mean that there's an actual endgame, it's a substitute. That's a pity, too, since I'd be interested to see raiding in this type of mechanics, could be pretty interesting.

because you have that option all the time :M
So, every MMO/RPG ever should have an option for L1 character to complete the game? I have news, friend! Bethesda makes these sorts of games!

Seriously though, I hope you do realize it's a strange complaint to make, in or outside of context of circlejerk.

WvW is a bore, same as in planetside: fighting for same objectives day in and day out, with no real pay off other than points for the server, which means even less if you're stuck in the same tier, fighting same servers on the same maps. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gaming is meaningless in general, I'm afraid, you just sit there on your ass, accumulating fat, and then, when you're sixty, you can't even buy a Ferrari because you didn't work 16 hours a day and became a CEO.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I agree with a lot of what Angthoron says. Dungeons are much better than in most MMOs, but I would argue you can definitely fail at it. When you've been fighting the end-boss of CoF1 for 20 minutes and he's still at full health then I'd say you've failed because it isn't likely you're going to finish that run in this lifetime. I'm frequently forced to leave dungeons and cut my (time) losses short when I realise the time spent on the dungeon isn't going to justify the reward because the team sucks. That's partly why nowadays I refuse to group up with anyone under level 80.

Sure, maybe you don't get a screen that says 'You've failed' and then get booted back to the outside of Ascalonian Catacombs, but that doesn't mean you didn't fail the dungeon run.

Angthoron

Arcane
Aaah, I see now. Yeah, as a response to a rather uninformed article, I can what you mean.

Sadly it's not a PW like UO or NWN, it's more of theme park, though at least one that tries to be mildly reactive. I've heard some interesting things about Saga of Ryzom ages ago, it had a lot of player-influenced stuff, including a possibility of a permanent farm-out (until a world reset, which I think happened once in a few months), which is probably a model that you'd have been after more. There's a few MMOs like that on the market, but they're generally made in some funny way that prevents mass populations to join it. And no, it's not the threat of perma-death, or of genuine failure and fuck-up that prevents people to play these, it's really more like "Obscure mechanics" and "Wtf is this interface" kinda issues from what I've been hearing. Pity really.

And yeah, well - I knew that the design solution for open world stuff for GW2 was "Let's all be friendly!", which was pretty much by default excluding proper PvP in the regular world maps. Again, a pity, but at least there's a decent AV-like in WvW areas, and I've learned to appreciate those battlegrounds before Blizzard turned them into shit.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sadly it's not a PW like UO or NWN, it's more of theme park, though at least one that tries to be mildly reactive. I've heard some interesting things about Saga of Ryzom ages ago, it had a lot of player-influenced stuff, including a possibility of a permanent farm-out (until a world reset, which I think happened once in a few months), which is probably a model that you'd have been after more. There's a few MMOs like that on the market, but they're generally made in some funny way that prevents mass populations to join it. And no, it's not the threat of perma-death, or of genuine failure and fuck-up that prevents people to play these, it's really more like "Obscure mechanics" and "Wtf is this interface" kinda issues from what I've been hearing. Pity really.
You forgot one more important thing that drives people away: The Old Boys' Club effect.

Angthoron

Arcane
You forgot one more important thing that drives people away: The Old Boys' Club effect.
Yeah, there's that too, especially in games without seasonal resets.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
tl;dr, this game would have been better had it been subscription-based.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Having played Neverwinter, I grew to appreciate GW2's combat more. Stun-breakers, condition removal, boon removal, evades, heal skills, weapon switching (not to mention, multiple weapon types for every profession) add an entire level of depth to combat. It's a shame that almost all PvE content is designed to favour burst damage zerkers and wvw is such a dull experience in general.

It also could have benefited from varied damage types and resistances (fire, cold, lighting, etc). Ah well.

combat in neverwinter is better than in gw2.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
combat in neverwinter is better than in gw2.
Care to expand on that?

I thought at least combat in GW2 was fun.
I don't think anything about Neverwinter is fun. It's a disjointed mess.

The combat is a bit similar though. You need to be active, dodging red circles on the ground and shit. But GW2 has skills synergy and playstyle-altering character development and equipment.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
In GW2 most classes are homogenized. I prefer NWN's approach where your class actually makes a difference to how you can play the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom