Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wow. Guess they fixed Arah. :smug:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Would be good content if it didn't have shit MMO camera/movement/animation. FFS I hate jumping puzzles in games that obviously didn't bring in someone that had experience with player movement in platformers.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It doesn't matter how good the puzzle is, the movement and animations and feedback in the game and engine do not work for jumping puzzles, period. If you like the jumping, it's because of the content design, and the fundamental mechanics are simply a detriment whether you like to admit it or not.

RK47

Patron
OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? It almost makes me want to reinstall the game!

Riel

Arcane
We need an auto jump button, you click it and you end at end chest to pick your reward hassle free! :P

Ok right, camera could use improvement when next to walls, I don't get the problem with controls though, forward ... jump ... land... what's the complication in that??.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
We need an auto jump button, you click it and you end at end chest to pick your reward hassle free! :P

Ok right, camera could use improvement when next to walls, I don't get the problem with controls though, forward ... jump ... land... what's the complication in that??.
Animation, feedback, timing, analog movement speed, analog movement direction, etc., etc., etc. Seriously, go play a platformer and come back to this bullshit.

SWTOR is just as bad. The point I'm making is that you don't take stock MMORPG movements and animations - made for tab targeting combat with no practical reason for jumping - and shove them into a platforming, jumping environment.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Animation, feedback, timing, analog movement speed, analog movement direction, etc., etc., etc. Seriously, go play a platformer and come back to this bullshit.

SWTOR is just as bad. The point I'm making is that you don't take stock MMORPG movements and animations - made for tab targeting combat with no practical reason for jumping - and shove them into a platforming, jumping environment.
Interestingly enough, the most fun I had while I played GW2 were the platformer dungeons and secrets.

Angthoron

Arcane
Two questions.

1) Whom to contact re: joining Codex guild?

2) I have some shitty exotics that go for 80-90s. Salvage them for globs (22-23s per) and shit, or AH them off as is? Which is better, and why? I've read that glob max per item is 3, in which case, meh, 80s still trumps 60s.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Interestingly enough, the most fun I had while I played GW2 were the platformer dungeons and secrets.
Given that your preference in MMOs is severely biased towards settings or themes that you fanboy over outside of gaming, your opinion is not very solid.

Angthoron

Arcane
I can jump and I can into settings but looks like there are no faggy Dexian guilds?

Stokowski

Arcane
Q0V5B.gif

RK47

Patron
Cleared 20 gb of space from my SSD.
I really can't be bothered to logon just for daily.
I brought a few max levels to feel 'oK I'm done.'
The lack of subs made it easier to let it go TBH, the game didn't lack content for the first month, but like most MMOs - it grew stale very quickly.
In all my time in the battlegrounds, it never matched the same fun feeling I get when I played massive shooter games like Battlefield series due to the lag and ghosting issues.

In fact, I rather just jump on my Green Lantern powers in DCUO next month just to have a little quick fun and drop it again.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
there is simply nothing there in GW2. just a huge expansive dress up doll tool.
Incorrect analogy. Last time it checked it didn't even let me revisit my character's sliders. That's not expansive dress up dool tool!

In fact, I rather just jump on my Green Lantern powers in DCUO next month just to have a little quick fun and drop it again.
It'd be nice to run an in-character playthrough of Resistance, Demonflame or Aftershock with the Codex sometime.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
This guy was probably one of those who bitched when the breasts were made smaller in the age of conan MMO back in the day.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/29/guild-wars-2-a-grind-by-any-other-name/

Pretty accurately reflects how I feel about the game. Except everything is so much worse now than it was back then. The absolutely horrendous diminished returns system just turns everything into such a fucking grind. I played for the first time in almost a month and I couldn't believe all the good drops I was getting. Three days later and I'm back to abysmal drop rates.

Angthoron

Arcane
I agree with basic premise that everywhere you go it's the same timer-based shit, that events are absolutely meaningless and maybe some sense of direction would be nice but what he fails to realize is that story isn't "the goal" at all. In reality, it's just another source of XP, nothing more. And since he didn't level past 15, he didn't see more abominable content that is dungeons.

What's abominable about dungeons? I can get behind the "grind is overwhelming" and "everything is tied to timers" stuff, for sure, but uhm, what's the issue with dungeon content? It's miles above the abominable WoW dungeons for last 3 expansions simply by the fact that you can actually fail, even on the trash, and it takes more than 8 minutes to complete a dungeon run with a gang of brainless retards with aimbots.
Also, no word on downscaling and being unable to meaningfully damage monsters who are 7 levels above you. Pretty mild critique.:decline:

Why have levels at all then? And you can actually meaningfully damage monsters 7 levels above from turrets, which's what I did on a few of the dragon events. Normally, yeah, but I'd like you to see soloing up a L90 mob on a L83 questgear (or even raidgear, possibly) char in WoW, and check out the "miss miss glance dodged" spam. GW2 system has a "no miss" system, so in order to emulate same results, I guess they made the hits to hurt fuck-all.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well i still play and i still tear shit apart in wvw. I even made somewhat of a name for my self on my server.

Still the best MMO out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom