Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So tell me what I'm doing wrong then? Or why I'm 'full of shit' for saying mean things about someone's favorite game?

Now that I'm level 80, I'm not sure where the game's fun is supposed to come from. When I asked people what I needed to do for fun after level 80 I got told to grind for new armor.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So tell me what I'm doing wrong then? Or why I'm 'full of shit' for saying mean things about someone's favorite game?

Now that I'm level 80, I'm not sure where the game's fun is supposed to come from. When I asked people what I needed to do for fun after level 80 I got told to grind for new armor.
Enlist in Starfleet.

60 relatively short levels. Also not that grindy when you combine hearting with dungeons and wvw. Dailies xp also helps.

Relatively short for MMO shittards who love to grind maybe. It's grindy as fuck with nothing to do for weeks for anyone with half a brain. You can finish several other wholesome games in the time you spend grinding in GW2.

Course, there's also nothing to do at level 80. Makes you wonder why anyone would want to level past the 20s or 30s anyway, they've seen the entire game by that point.

Riel

Arcane
60 relatively short levels. Also not that grindy when you combine hearting with dungeons and wvw. Dailies xp also helps.

Relatively short for MMO shittards who love to grind maybe. It's grindy as fuck with nothing to do for weeks for anyone with half a brain. You can finish several other wholesome games in the time you spend grinding in GW2.

Course, there's also nothing to do at level 80. Makes you wonder why anyone would want to level past the 20s or 30s anyway, they've seen the entire game by that point.
Is there anything to do in any game?

If your reply is no, then go somewhere else that is not a PC gaming site.

If it's yeah well enjoy the path to level 80. It's a good game to explore all the way from 1 to 80. Of course nothing beats having good people you enjopy playign with, but if you got that... who minds what game you are playing??

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Everything is shit.
At least I made back the box cost with gold sold to my guild members.

Shiki

Learned

Let me guess, you never stepped into a dungeon like Arah, or higher lvl FOTM. Arenanet's "the game starts at lvl 1" motto is a lie. The real fun is once you're 80, in full exotics, doing harder dungeons. The world is pretty shit except for a couple of harder events like the Temple of Grenth but dungeons are pretty fun. (and tbh the reason why events like the Temple of Grenth fail quite a lot is because most of the players doing those have no dungeon experience and they're suddenly fighting something they need to actually fucking dodge. Certainly a much better event than any of the dragon autoattack range derp)

If you think you saw the whole game at lvl 20 it's because on lvl 80 maps most of your skills are still useless. There is no use inside the game world for things like reflection you can pretty much faceroll everything.

And if you're interested in wvwvw there is a huge difference between a lvl 20 and 80 in terms of skill available and traits builds.

I do agree with you that the leveling process though is grindy and boring. But the end game, while still lacking in variety (needs more of the harder, challenging dungeons. High lvl FOTM is a start, but we need more) is much stronger than the game content you see from lvl 1 to 80.

Let me guess, you never stepped into a dungeon like Arah, or higher lvl FOTM. Arenanet's "the game starts at lvl 1" motto is a lie. The real fun is once you're 80, in full exotics, doing harder dungeons. The world is pretty shit except for a couple of harder events like the Temple of Grenth but dungeons are pretty fun. (and tbh the reason why events like the Temple of Grenth fail quite a lot is because most of the players doing those have no dungeon experience and they're suddenly fighting something they need to actually fucking dodge. Certainly a much better event than any of the dragon autoattack range derp)

HAHAHA, no. "Dodge when red circle appears", and "dodge when obvious super attack" is not fun, it's a slightly less subtle press A to win game. Dungeons are only slightly more interactive than a quicktime event. Except you don't even die when you lose, you just respawn.

If you think you saw the whole game at lvl 20 it's because on lvl 80 maps most of your skills are still useless. There is no use inside the game world for things like reflection you can pretty much faceroll everything.

As opposed to facerolling everything as long as you dodge at the right time?

And if you're interested in wvwvw there is a huge difference between a lvl 20 and 80 in terms of skill available and traits builds.

Which is worthless because W3 is a pretty bad format altogether.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I was doing Shadow Behemoth last night and as soon as he spawned suddenly none of the other players got rendered.

It's amazing just how much performance issues this game has and just how little Arenanet gives a fuck. People have been bitching about these issues from the start and yet it gets ignored every time. One of the last missions in the main storyline has a glitch where the tank you're supposed to be using to kill zombies cannot be aimed properly, thus forcing the player to kill all the zombies himself. This was reported months ago and it's still not fixed. They can't even be arsed to fix their fucking main storyline, so I don't think we can really expect them to fix performance issues.

Eyeball

Arcane
I started playing this. Decent, although no substitute for COH.

Somebody please give me about 100 gold, I need to buy some more character slots. 5 per account is a motherfucking ripoff.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, 5 character slots for a game that has 8 classes is a bit of a ripoff. Not that I think any sane individual would level 8 characters, but it should still be an option.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yeah, 5 character slots for a game that has 8 classes is a bit of a ripoff. Not that I think any sane individual would level 8 characters, but it should still be an option.

It's clear they're aiming for one slot per-race and monetizing those extra slots. Speaking of sanity, some guy actually bought maximum number of slots during the first week so there's all kinds of people. Wish I saved the screenshot.

Eyeball

Arcane
According to in-game nerds, buying 100 gems used to cost a few silver pieces. Now it costs about 2 gold, meaning I gotta spend 16 gold per extra character slot. After playing it for perhaps 20-30 hours, I have 6 gold, tops.

Where are the Chinese gold farmers when you need them, God created them specifically to combat this type of bullshit.

Shiki

Learned
After playing it for perhaps 20-30 hours, I have 6 gold, tops.

30 hours of actual gameplay ? You aren't ever playing dungeons are you. A single run of arah path 3 gives me about a gold, takes 30 minutes and I'm not even running it for the gold, speedclearing CoF p1 and CoE can get you a loooot more. (CoF p1 farm gets about 10 gold per hour if you're efficient.)

Not that I think any sane individual would level 8 characters, but it should still be an option.

Craftlvling can get any character from lvl 2 to 80 in a few hours. If you're lucky enough to get a precursor drop (I had one during a FOTM run) you could fill up all the slots instantly just from the gold gained from selling it.

Grinding characters to level 80 so you can grind dungeons so you can get money to get more characters to grind to level 80. Brave New World.

Where are the Chinese gold farmers when you need them, God created them specifically to combat this type of bullshit.
Other way around. Chinese farm gold -> more gold in economy without corresponding cash shop purchases -> inflation -> cash shop costs more gold to buy stuff.

Shiki

Learned
It's not like when you spend your time leveling your character you aren't swimming in money.
And 10g per hour in CoF p1? With 20% infusion, 15% scavenging, 40% from omnombery buffs to gold gain from drops, you get 1.5g per run, which drops down to 1.2g on third one, due to the reduced dungeon completion reward. furthermore, unless you are fucking strife, you can't really complete the dungeon under 10 minutes even with organized group, with random PUGs, it takes 15-20 min on average.

TL;DR get your numbers straight :rpgcodex:

I complete it in 6 minutes you fuckwit. And 10g per hour it's including loot I sell and rare I salvage from the dungeon token (I don't need glob so I sell those).

If path 1 takes 20 minutes for you to complete it's because you 1/ group with retards 2/ don't have berserker gear 3/ don't know how to play. This is the easiest dungeon to speedclear, period.
My average zerk run tend to complete path 1 quickly enough that TIMEWARP is under cooldown during the next path 1 clear when we reach the slave driver.

You "can't complete it under 10 min even with organized group" shows how much you don't know about this game. This shit is crazy easy as hell. Just get some berserker gear and the rotation right on your warrior. As for pugging you know as soon as you kill the first trash mobs after the doors open if the group is worth keeping or leaving : you leave if it's a shit group period.

Even the WORST 4 warrior 1 mes pug will do this under no more than 9 minutes, and if you get a group as shitty as that you just leave and find another one.

Of course the secret might lie in the fact that you only ever joined random groups and NEVER joined an experienced full warrior + mesmer group all clad in berserker gear. You wouldn't be spouting such bullshit about this path not being completable in under 10 minutes unless "you're strife" (lol!). You know what's not doable if you're not strife ? doing path 4 in 40 minutes in Arah. That one takes a group like strife's. Doing CoF P1 doesn't take more than a few brain cells you amoeba.

I speedclear it both my with my guild, which has skilled speedrunners, and with pugs sometimes. For pugs you just want to look for those who ask for zerk, ping gear, ping their banner/utilities and just leave if you see even one 5 signet warrior in your party.
http://gw2lfg.com/

You want to join groups like these :
XXXXXDungeon - Explorable - Citadel of Flame 80 lf1m zerker warrior p1 farm, ping gear 1h+
Not like these :
XXXXXDungeon - Explorable - Citadel of Flame 80 LF1M Path 1

Eyeball

Arcane
As for pugging you know as soon as you kill the first trash mobs after the doors open if the group is worth keeping or leaving : you leave if it's a shit group period.
You are a fucking faggot and I hope that I will never have the misfortune of running into your "I'm so leet my shit is all purplez" ass in an online vidya gaym.

Group sucks and is full of new players, you attempt to make it work and clue in the newbies as to what needs to be done. This will take a little longer than usual. It is also the most challenging part of online gaming and will make a succesful run much more satisfying than running the same cunting dungeon for the 20th time with your standard overpowered raid group. You don't ditch your group after 30 seconds if you feel they don't live up to your exceptional standards unless it's obviously a complete clusterfuck.

Shiki

Learned
As for pugging you know as soon as you kill the first trash mobs after the doors open if the group is worth keeping or leaving : you leave if it's a shit group period.
You are a fucking faggot and I hope that I will never have the misfortune of running into your "I'm so leet my shit is all purplez" ass in an online vidya gaym.

Group sucks and is full of new players, you attempt to make it work and clue in the newbies as to what needs to be done. This will take a little longer than usual. It is also the most challenging part of online gaming and will make a succesful run much more satisfying than running the same cunting dungeon for the 20th time with your standard overpowered raid group. You don't ditch your group after 30 seconds if you feel they don't live up to your exceptional standards unless it's obviously a complete clusterfuck.

Dude.
I've introduced many players that were new to dungeons. I don't mind sometimes to introduce dungeons like FOTM and Arah to my fellow guildies for the first time.

But if I'm doing a farm run where I'm repeating the same path over, and over, and over again, for more than one hour, I can guarantee that if I'm the one who created the group, if you're not up to the farming standards, I'm going to kick your ass off the group, and if I'm the one who joined, and then leave, it means you lied, cause I would only join a group asking for experienced farmers, and if they aren't killing the first wave of trash after the gates open fast enough, it proves that they are NOT experienced and were lying, and I don't group with liars.

You went off on something that is completely irrelevant. I'm not "ditching" a group of noob, if I leave, it means I left a group that pretended to be experienced and skilled and that is neither. You don't pretend to be an experienced farmer when you're a fucking 5 signet war who doesn't even use slayer potions.

Just having a look at the boon bar of your party members will teach you a lot about them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom