Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
What I'm getting at is that in GW2 there are no class roles. There's no dedicated healer, tank or DPS roles. Almost all of the classes can fulfill each of those three roles, but none of them are exceptionally good at any of them. Sure, the guardian is likely your best bet if survivability is what you're after, but he still can't just stand there and soak up damage. His survival is largely up to himself because there's no dedicated healer class who is supposed to keep his health up while he tanks the mobs.

Essentially what the GW2 classes do is when you're playing in a group, it ensures everyone is doing more or less the same thing; trying to deal as much damage while keeping yourself alive.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Also, it's high fucking time they fixed their goddamned performance issues. It's been months and the same issues still persist.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What I'm getting at is that in GW2 there are no class roles. There's no dedicated healer, tank or DPS roles. Almost all of the classes can fulfill each of those three roles, but none of them are exceptionally good at any of them. Sure, the guardian is likely your best bet if survivability is what you're after, but he still can't just stand there and soak up damage. His survival is largely up to himself because there's no dedicated healer class who is supposed to keep his health up while he tanks the mobs.

Essentially what the GW2 classes do is when you're playing in a group, it ensures everyone is doing more or less the same thing; trying to deal as much damage while keeping yourself alive.

I'm pretty sure the intention behind class design in GW2 was that every class can do everything, but they differ in flavor and play style so you'll choose, I don't know, Warrior because you want to have the largest weapons arsenal and like to hit people with brute force instead of "oh, my party needs a tank so I better go Warrior". Not that I'm saying which approach is better, that's just my impression.

I'm pretty sure the intention behind class design in GW2 was that every class can do everything, but they differ in flavor and play style so you'll choose, I don't know, Warrior because you want to have the largest weapons arsenal and like to hit people with brute force instead of "oh, my party needs a tank so I better go Warrior". Not that I'm saying which approach is better, that's just my impression.

Yes, and they failed horribly at that. All it came down to was whether you wanted your attacks to be Red, Green, or Blue colored.

GW1 actually succeeded at that in a way that rewarded intelligent and creative play. Naturally consoletards hated it for being too hard on them, even though 90% of areas could be beaten by doing nothing other than aggroing enemies to your AI party in small groups.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
NWN isn't an mmo, though. Classes have never been created with balance in mind (Casters > Everything else). And what does "How you can play the game" actually mean? Non-casters click and occasionally select ability from hot bar while spellcasters mash hotkeys like fuck queuing spell after spell after spell. There isn't that much of a difference between them, really.
Because GW2 encounter/npc design sucks, until you run across the rare enemy that actually has a variety of attacks and spells. And, no, that doesn't describe NW at all. As a control Wizard target priority matters in which enemies I use my stuns.

I don't think the issue is with GW2's approach though. More of implementation - again, you rarely encounter an enemy party that has a variety of abilities among them, or even a single NPC that has some variety of attacks. And as for the player classes themselves, support abilities and effects need to be buffed, so that it's viable - or perhaps better, a necessity - that a player can resort to only supporting instead of dpsing + minorly supporting themselves.

Black_Willow

Arcane
combat in neverwinter is better than in gw2.
HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
combat in neverwinter is better than in gw2.
HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg
i don't see what is so "lol" about it? both games use a cooldown only button mashing with limited skills system. both systems use dodge. the difference is that

a) in NV dodge actually matters
b) in NV aiming matters to some degree
c) NV has some resource management, like the daily power and through a positive feedback effect with dodge & casting animations
d) the skills itself are more interesting

GW2 has a long road ahead to reach the quality of NV. pathetic if you think about it, but hey, this is arena.net. i have a lot more fun in PvP in NV than in GW2 - considering both games offer essentially the same type of PvP you realize that cryptic knows what they're doing.

Black_Willow

Arcane
a) in NV dodge actually matters
b) in NV aiming matters to some degree
c) NV has some resource management, like the daily power and through a positive feedback effect with dodge & casting animations
d) the skills itself are more interesting

GW2 has a long road ahead to reach the quality of NV. pathetic if you think about it, but hey, this is arena.net. i have a lot more fun in PvP in NV than in GW2 - considering both games offer essentially the same type of PvP you realize that cryptic knows what they're doing.

a) As opposed to GW2? ORLY? (seriously, I don't know how to respond to such BS)
b) It's still only a way to highlight mobs, though somewhat better than in GW2
c) In GW2 there's stamina management (that's why vigor is so handy) and many vital skills have long cooldowns, so they must be used strategicaly
d) Disputable
Oh, and as for NV's quality - is a glittering path to your quest objective a sign of great quality for you?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't know how to respond to such BS

you're free not to respond, I won't mind.

In GW2 there's stamina management

what stamina? you mean endurance, the meter that is used for dodge that is also present in NV? and is a completely worthless excercise in GW?

many vital skills have long cooldowns, so they must be used strategicaly

:lol:

is a glittering path to your quest objective a sign of great quality for you?

if i gave a shit about glittering paths I would be playing TERA.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Oh, and as for NV's quality - is a glittering path to your quest objective a sign of great quality for you?

You realize you can turn this off, right? They literally tell you that 20 seconds into starting a new character.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Yes, I do. Nevertheless, for me there's something wrong about playing a game with such an intrusive system of handholding. One would think NW was designed with retards in mind.

Yes, and they failed horribly at that. All it came down to was whether you wanted your attacks to be Red, Green, or Blue colored.

GW1 actually succeeded at that in a way that rewarded intelligent and creative play. Naturally consoletards hated it for being too hard on them, even though 90% of areas could be beaten by doing nothing other than aggroing enemies to your AI party in small groups.
How about you break it down to us how GW1 succeeded in making every class equal.

It didn't - which is why it didn't suck.

GW1 gave every class a hundred more skill choices, then let them take a secondary class to acquire more. GW1 skills were overall far more complex and specialized, yet with better synergy with each other and between other players. There were different damage types and protection against damage types. There were (effective) interrupts along with outright skill disablers, letting you lock down any problematic enemies (and also making positioning more important). There was armor, damage reduction/absorption, blocking, and enchantments/hexs for protection, all of which could make any class "tanky" in the right situation (and enchantments/hexes are so varied that they have categories onto themselves). GW1 both works with and subverts the "holy trinity" to make it fun so any class can participate. Need a tank but only have a caster? You can make that work. Want to deal damage? Every class can pull off some nice synergies for massive damage with a little bit of cooperation. Need to heal but don't have a monk? One of the jokes of GW1 was that the so-called "master of damage" class (ele) was actually the best healer/protter in the game, while the "master of healing" class (monk) could actually be the best nuker in some cases.

The end result was that classes were very much not equal - but they had enough overlap and synergies to let any class preform at a high level in a multitude of roles with proper usage.

GW2 can be broken down into not much more than: You click on the enemy with your damage until they die while kiting them. If you see red circles you hit dodge. If your health bar gets low you kite further until they lose aggro and heal. I've just described for you 95% of levels 1-80. There are small changes between classes, but they all boil down to these same basic principles. You might gear/skill for more or less damage, but it's always the same damage and there are no offensive contributions available beyond doing damage (no interrupts, no shutdown, no debilitation). You can boost your defense, but no matter what the vast majority of your damage reduction comes from kiting and dodging.

All play in GW1 was group play (outside of tutorial area and a very minute subset of quests) with 4-12 (almost always 8, but lower for low level content and 12 for very specifically designed end game levels) players or AI bots, and expansions added AI heroes that give you full control of build and equipment just the same as your own. In fact you can even use other characters on your account as AI party members nowadays.

Yes, GW2 is arguably better at solo play. Which is entirely missing the point. It's quite ironic that a supposed massively multiplayer online game (what GW2 is marketed as) is designed for solo play to the detriment of group play. Meanwhile GW1 was designed 100% for group play and, surprise, has good group play.

Riel

Arcane

How about you break it down to us how GW1 succeeded in making every class equal.

It didn't - which is why it didn't suck.

GW1 gave every class a hundred more skill choices, then let them take a secondary class to acquire more. GW1 skills were overall far more complex and specialized, yet with better synergy with each other and between other players. There were different damage types and protection against damage types. There were (effective) interrupts along with outright skill disablers, letting you lock down any problematic enemies (and also making positioning more important). There was armor, damage reduction/absorption, blocking, and enchantments/hexs for protection, all of which could make any class "tanky" in the right situation (and enchantments/hexes are so varied that they have categories onto themselves). GW1 both works with and subverts the "holy trinity" to make it fun so any class can participate. Need a tank but only have a caster? You can make that work. Want to deal damage? Every class can pull off some nice synergies for massive damage with a little bit of cooperation. Need to heal but don't have a monk? One of the jokes of GW1 was that the so-called "master of damage" class (ele) was actually the best healer/protter in the game, while the "master of healing" class (monk) could actually be the best nuker in some cases.

The end result was that classes were very much not equal - but they had enough overlap and synergies to let any class preform at a high level in a multitude of roles with proper usage.

GW2 can be broken down into not much more than: You click on the enemy with your damage until they die while kiting them. If you see red circles you hit dodge. If your health bar gets low you kite further until they lose aggro and heal. I've just described for you 95% of levels 1-80. There are small changes between classes, but they all boil down to these same basic principles. You might gear/skill for more or less damage, but it's always the same damage and there are no offensive contributions available beyond doing damage (no interrupts, no shutdown, no debilitation). You can boost your defense, but no matter what the vast majority of your damage reduction comes from kiting and dodging.

Well I kind of agree with most of what you say about GW1 only you paint it all a bit too good. To be honest classes weren't really all that interchangeable, monk as DPS was subpar almost everywhere and ele as tank would only work if enchantment removal was non existant or very limited, i.e. And while it's true that there were thousands of skills in GW1 over half of them just sucked so much that it was liek they were never there, other portion was just plain copy (factions-prophecies renames) and well in the end each class only had a few top tier builds. More than each GW2's class yeah, but inmenselly more than GW2, NOOOO.

But I sugest you play more GW2 before you criticise it again:

You click on the enemy with your damage until they die while kiting them.
NOOO, in open world you just spike it to death with a few skills, seriously if you kite regular mobs your character sucks. In dungeons things are different but kiting isn't a word I would use to describe what goes on, more like a team dance with CC, spikes, evades all mixed together, but certainly nothing like hit, walk away, hit, walk away... tbh if you have to do that you have plenty left to learn.

If you see red circles you hit dodge.
True enough.

If your health bar gets low you kite further until they lose aggro and heal.
Well you could do that yeah, or you could use a skill to insta kite, heal, become invulnerable, CC foe, kill foe, push foe away, blind, reduce dmg .... if runing away is all you can think about I can guarantee you don't know your class, and I don't know the class you play. Also certainly losing aggro is a defeat since foe will regen health which means no loot and wasted time.

There are small changes between classes, but they all boil down to these same basic principles.
Yes that was Anet's point to begin with, if anything they didn't trully succeed, though they get closer to that than anyone no class can truly do everything optimally ... well warior gets close.

You might gear/skill for more or less damage, but it's always the same damage and there are no offensive contributions available beyond doing damage (no interrupts, no shutdown, no debilitation).
No interrupts?? Oh brother........ though tbh interrupting isnt' critical or even important most of the time.
No shutdown?? True
No debilitation?? ROLF, yeah well I supose weakness, blind, cripple, sickness don't count as debilitation, do they?

Well I kind of agree with most of what you say about GW1 only you paint it all a bit too good. To be honest classes weren't really all that interchangeable, monk as DPS was subpar almost everywhere and ele as tank would only work if enchantment removal was non existant or very limited, i.e. And while it's true that there were thousands of skills in GW1 over half of them just sucked so much that it was liek they were never there, other portion was just plain copy (factions-prophecies renames) and well in the end each class only had a few top tier builds. More than each GW2's class yeah, but inmenselly more than GW2, NOOOO.

RoJ is pretty beastly. I think it's the strongest single spell in the game for direct damage in a single cast. And Strength of Honor can nearly double the damage of every melee character in your party. Monks were definitely DPS beasts if correctly played.

Eles had enough energy to spam enchants really fast. Or you could interrupt enchantment removal. And let me point out that I said eles could prot/heal. They can tank too, but they were even better at instantly making whoever got the most aggro the tank. The ele themselves tanking with enchants would put them in danger of being interrupted in many cases.

I'd agree that maybe 1/3rd of skills overall were pretty subpar. Maybe 1/2 for certain shallow attributes and elite skills (which tend to overpower and overshadow their competition more often). But don't pretend that GW2 doesn't have the same problems, at least 1/3rd of skills in it will never see serious use. I'd argue it's even worse for the traits. And half of the weapons have skills that you only use when everything else is on recharge.

You click on the enemy with your damage until they die while kiting them.
NOOO, in open world you just spike it to death with a few skills, seriously if you kite regular mobs your character sucks. In dungeons things are different but kiting isn't a word I would use to describe what goes on, more like a team dance with CC, spikes, evades all mixed together, but certainly nothing like hit, walk away, hit, walk away... tbh if you have to do that you have plenty left to learn.

You always kite regular mobs. Do you suck and only fight 1v1? Or do you like to waste time healing up after battle? Damage not taken is time saved, and pulling more enemies is time saved. Considering how grindy GW2 is there is nothing to do but save time by being as efficient in the experience harvesting as possible. Unless you are fighting 1v1 because you want to autoattack it to death while alt-tabbing to something else. That's a solution I suppose.

If your health bar gets low you kite further until they lose aggro and heal.
Well you could do that yeah, or you could use a skill to insta kite, heal, become invulnerable, CC foe, kill foe, push foe away, blind, reduce dmg .... if runing away is all you can think about I can guarantee you don't know your class, and I don't know the class you play. Also certainly losing aggro is a defeat since foe will regen health which means no loot and wasted time.

Insta kite - because kiting is not kiting if it's a different form of kiting
Heal/Prot - All are relatively weak in GW2 and no substitute for kiting
Become invulnerable/CC - All far weaker than GW1, again only a very short respite until getting back to kiting.
Kill foe - Well no shit. Really?

You might gear/skill for more or less damage, but it's always the same damage and there are no offensive contributions available beyond doing damage (no interrupts, no shutdown, no debilitation).
No interrupts?? Oh brother........ though tbh interrupting isnt' critical or even important most of the time.
No shutdown?? True
No debilitation?? ROLF, yeah well I supose weakness, blind, cripple, sickness don't count as debilitation, do they?

Let me point out the word "offensive". The only offensive non-damage contribution is weakness/might, which are pathetically weak and only worth stacking while fighting the most ridiculous of HP sponge bosses that take several minutes to beat. Did I mention HP sponges were a shitty part of GW2?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
?????? Used to play that .. Guardian class and doesn't seem to remember running from any mob. Just stand in front and dps away.
Retaliation spam , shouts, they're all good and make survival seems trivial in non dungeon content.

Riel

Arcane
You always kite regular mobs. Do you suck and only fight 1v1? Or do you like to waste time healing up after battle? Damage not taken is time saved, and pulling more enemies is time saved. Considering how grindy GW2 is there is nothing to do but save time by being as efficient in the experience harvesting as possible. Unless you are fighting 1v1 because you want to autoattack it to death while alt-tabbing to something else. That's a solution I suppose.
Yeah well, that's a very particular way to put what I said... rolf.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Holy shit, haha. I made a thread on the official forums about why this game is bleeding players like it is, and they gave me an infraction for it with the following message;

“Why I left” or “Why people leave” threads are not allowed on the forums as they are not conducive to creating a friendly community nor do they have room for constructive discussion. As such, this thread has been removed.
Thanks for your understanding

In other words, we're not allowed to discuss what's wrong with the game and why people are leaving. Lol.

Angthoron

Arcane
Holy shit, haha. I made a thread on the official forums about why this game is bleeding players like it is, and they gave me an infraction for it with the following message
It is? Didn't notice, what with being stuck in Overflow in non-peak hours just a few days ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom