Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I didn't know the engineer was broken, but it's been a year since I've played, and longer than that since I've really gotten into it. I had fun with my engineer, but my main was an elementalist.

Angthoron

Arcane
I didn't know the engineer was broken, but it's been a year since I've played, and longer than that since I've really gotten into it. I had fun with my engineer, but my main was an elementalist.
The mismanagement part seems to be squarely on the China side, fwiw, if even it makes it to Live as datamined. There's been no VIPing or dye ID kits on the EU/NA servers. Granted, I'd prefer more dungeons and more permanent content, but well, I still haven't got 100% world explore so I'm not the one to bitch about that.

Engineer was supposedly "fixed" though, yes. Not sure how broken it even was, anyway, except the OP 'nade kit (got reworked) and the rocket boots that were a neat bit of hax (and got fixed).

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The mismanagement I was referring to was mainly the "living story" bullshit. I'm not going to play one game all the time for years after release, but it'd be nice to come back after a long break to find the game has expanded significantly. Instead, they've been adding a small amount of new content, then taking it away before adding the next bit. Fuck 'em.

Angthoron

Arcane
The mismanagement I was referring to was mainly the "living story" bullshit. I'm not going to play one game all the time for years after release, but it'd be nice to come back after a long break to find the game has expanded significantly. Instead, they've been adding a small amount of new content, then taking it away before adding the next bit. Fuck 'em.
Ah, yeah. I guess that that's their idea of a hook - "Log in regularly or miss shit! Get exclusive items!". Guess it works for some, seriously fails for others. Supposedly they're going to have a design shift after the ending of the current plotline though, so MAYBE that buggery will be over with and they'll actually start permanently adding to the world.

And yeah, personally I'd prefer more lasting changes. Why the fuck is Bazaar of Four Winds gone? It better be because they're working to make it 900% more awesome and bring it back permanently.

Actually, another issue with this temporary stuff is, if they keep bringing out more and more of stuff that's actually interesting, but temporary, then the main world eventually gets sorta kinda largely abandoned, with everyone running around farming the Zone of the Month.

Avellion

Erudite
People bothering to login in this game confuses me.
I'd guarantee you that at least 90% of the people that still log in only do so because they still have some hope to see all this being implemented. It's the only thing that keep you playing it by now, the hope that it will all be fixed some time in the future.
That reminds me of someone on my Steam Friends list who occationally tries to persuade me to return. I say that my main reason. When I said that one of the reasons I refuse to touch GW2 again was the lack of improvement and lasting additions to the game. To which he replied, but they will add later. Of course he had no evidence to support this. But in any case I did not feel like discussing it any further. When bringing up how terribly flawed the concept is the Living Story apologetics will usually throw rebuttals such as.

"Who cares how Arenanet spends their budget on improving the game"
"Everybody likes the Living Story, you are the only person who dislikes it"
"Nobody does the content after a week anyway"
"I didnt like feature X that Factions/Nightfall bought in so expansions are inheritably bad"

Honestly, I might as well discuss with Young Earth Creationists concerning topics like History and Biology, because these guys are just as delusional.

Somehow I knew it would probably be shit and I told everyone it would be shit, yet I bought it anyway because some small part of me hoped.

I guess I figured that even a small chance of getting a game as good as GW1 was worth the shot. The amount of idiots gushing over it and manufactured hype worked...

TigerKnee

Arcane
Is there any where selling GW1 for a > 50% discount and is it still good?

Since there seems to be a bunch of like towards it in this thread.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

GW was good last time I played it but I tended to get bored with easily. The amount of skill customization is absolutely absurd which makes it basically impossible to balance. Not that it stopped them from trying over and over. A couple of classes got a complete overhaul and needed to have builds made from scratch for them and last I heard they weren't done. I feel I should bring up that the developers have outright stated they won't add new content to GW anymore because they are focusing on GW2. Also I should bring up the last bit of content they added (that wasn't seasonal events) was complete crap so you aren't missing much. Honestly I'm betting it's still good and it has a good number of people playing so if you can get it cheap I say go for it.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
we need more games that cannot be balanced maybe then the cries about balance will be silent

GW took a big hit on the nose with factions and from then on has declined continuously. the reasons to play it are all gone and/or have been massacred by a.net

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
we need more games that cannot be balanced maybe then the cries about balance will be silent
There needs to be a computer game based on the tabletop game Rifts. People would be so baffled by the complete lack of anything resembling balance that they'd stop complaining about other games forevermore.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Rifts begins with two future-historical premises: first, that there will be a golden age of humanity with tremendous advances in science, technology, military, and society. Humanity as a whole will get along as a majority of Earth's nations decide to stop a world war and begin to share ideas and technology freely. Much of the solar system will be conquered, humanity's wars will end, and harmony will reign. Second, this golden age will be followed by an apocalyptic nuclear war that starts with a border incursion by NEMA (North American Economic Military Alliance, comprising Canada, The U.S., and Mexico) forces in South America during the year 2098. The special circumstances of Earth's mystic position in the Universe at that time (namely, a multi-planetary alignment combined with the naturally higher levels of mystic energy present during the Winter Solstice at exactly midnight) changes what would "normally" be the deaths of a few million living beings into a psychic energy flood that triggers the eruption of ley lines and triggering natural disasters across the world and also causes the return of Atlantis which raised the water levels causing even more death. The additional deaths in turn releases even more mystic energy in a vicious cycle. Ultimately, the PPE of billions of human beings dying nearly simultaneously, multiplied by the mystic alignments mentioned earlier, energized the ley line networks crisscrossing the globe and caused many rifts to open, both on Earth and throughout the Megaverse - while simultaneously ripping untold numbers of alien beings from their own homeworlds and alerting the Great Powers of the Megaverse of a new planet to conquer. Many creatures, both mythical beasts and alien beings, come through the Rifts - some of them now permanently opened - to wreak havoc.
:what:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
There needs to be a computer game based on the tabletop game Rifts. People would be so baffled by the complete lack of anything resembling balance that they'd stop complaining about other games forevermore.

Nah, Rifts is relatively alright as long as you keep everything self-contained because power creep works regionally. Atlantis stuff needs to be used only in Atlantis setting, Russia stuff only in Russia, etc. The moment you start doing crossovers with world books, especially with galactic content, everything goes to hell. This applies to Rifts' version of classes as well.

GW1 complete collection includes everything and is $30, but it was discontinued so it's hard to find. GW1 trilogy (Prophecies+Factions+Nightfall campaigns but not Eye of the North addon) is $30 on steam and other places and goes on sale semi-often.

Still a great game, but expect to be playing with the bots (pre-made henchmen or player-made heros) most of the time unless you have friends or are at certain areas. Keep in mind that the game is more of a team-based Diablo (with thousands of skills instead of thousands of items) than an open MMO with players running everywhere willy-nilly. The bots are more than powerful enough to finish the game with though, and creating entire parties of synergizing heroes is a kind of strategic planning that I don't think any other game offers.

Angthoron

Arcane
Dyes become account-wide basically. Can't see how farmers are complaining about this though, the prices of individual dyes (unidentified) will/have skyrocketed, demand will go down a lot, but they're also removing possibility to get unID'd dyes from drops (instead you'll get to buy them for Laurels - the daily/monthly currency and a bunch of other means) so it balances out.

Overall, some pretty interesting changes. Players can start building up a wardrobe bank, so, cross-character collection of armor skins basically. Dunno if more than one character can use same skin at once though.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, actually seems like a lot of pretty decent gameplay changes are rolling out, tons of improvements over the existing systems - BoA legendaries/ascended gear, removal of repair fees, removal of respec fees, respec anywhere a-la sPvP, gentle nerfing of champ trains, wardrobe system for item skin whoring (and gem armors are now stored there permanently, but of course you need transmutation stones to apply the skins), ascended JC supposedly coming (although why? You can get full ascended jewelry with nearly zero effort), account-wide WvW ranking, better guild/LFG tools, acc-wide dye unlocks. It's almost like they're genuinely trying to improve.

Maybe they'll actually focus on a more tangible endgame next? What a shocker that would be.

Riel

Arcane
Sadly nope. While I like most of what they are doing nothing of it really addresses the core mechanics of the game, except perhaps the capacity to retrait anywhere for free. So other than that the game remains basically the same.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Trait respec and repair fees were negligible anyway. The focus of the improvements they've announced so far are related to the dress-up game, because that's what brings the money and the bitches.

Angthoron

Arcane
And what the fuck is the problem with that, may I ask?

It's not GW1, and it's not built around the idea of stat permanence. I'd get it if it was, but it isn't.

You already swap a lot of shit in-between combat, thing is, often what you could swap out makes a very minor difference, and woah! You've got this ONE boss fight in this instance you're running that needs extra nuke instead of the one thousand condition removal abilities that you brought, how nice that your survival/condition trees don't offer that option. It does work better with the way the current design is.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom