Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
"Balance patch" lol

Ranger players with thousands of hours of playtime had created numerous, indepth posts on the Ranger subforum explaining the issues with Ranger and proposing various solutions. Now the discord leak has come out and we have confirmation that the dev didn't even look at the forum. He doesn't even play Ranger. He glanced at the fanmade wiki to see what a Ranger ability did and nerfed the class based off of that. The Spotter trait is now useless (in a meta based around stacking buffs). Leader of the Pack and One Wolf Pack have been nerfed to the ground. RIP Soulbeast. Druid is still useless outside of raids. Untamed still hasn't been fixed. Meanwhile, the dev's pet project Mechanist gets better and better. Mechanist proves that Anet knew how to make a good Pet spec, they just never bothered with Ranger (the PET class!) for 10 years. Oh and any posts on the official forums calling out the bullshit are deleted.
You're addicted, uninstall the game, don't make any excuses, play something better.

TedNugent

Arcane
Their class design is truly ass and does indeed to be seemed on dartboards. The fact that they hyped up this patch as a fix is sort of embarrassing.

QL9zUxe.png

Darn. I almost made it. I was 50 points from breaking into the top 250 during the rated 2v2 season and earning the 2v2 Elite title when I was hit by a lose streak on the night before the last day.

Drakortha

Liturgist
You spend all that time obsessively shitting up the Resident Evil threads, declaring your opinion law, and I find you in here worshipping a tranny. I will remember this the next time you're shitting up RE threads.
You day 1 purchased the pile of shit known as RE:Village, completely dead game on release. I'm sorry you can't cope with reality. But not to fret, your favorite Boy Leon is on the menu again in an all new Remake so you'll be kissing those ass cheeks of his soon enough, I'm sure, #1 Leon fanboy.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

You spend all that time obsessively shitting up the Resident Evil threads, declaring your opinion law, and I find you in here worshipping a tranny. I will remember this the next time you're shitting up RE threads.
You day 1 purchased the pile of shit known as RE:Village, completely dead game on release. I'm sorry you can't cope with reality. But not to fret, your favorite Boy Leon is on the menu again in an all new Remake so you'll be kissing those ass cheeks of his soon enough, I'm sure, #1 Leon fanboy.
I won't be laying on the ground in a pile of roses, begging him to fuck me.

SumDrunkGuy

You know Leon isn't in my top 5 fav Resi Evil characters right? My top 5 looks somethin like dis:

1. Jill
2. Jill
3. Jill
4. Jill
5. Jill

Leon probably doesn't even make my #10 spot, because it's occupied by Jill.

Drakortha

Liturgist
we all love trannies
Clearly you do.
Excuse me? Have you not been paying attention to this thread? The last several pages has been continuous discussion about Trannies in GW2. I tried many times to get this thread back on track but we always end up back on the Trannies. It's even got SumDrunkGuy to start paying attention and now even he is shitposting in here. Clearly there's something very special about Trannies that brings us all together.

:love:

SumDrunkGuy

But nuJill or OG Jill?

This is the Codex, we all love trannies here & nuJill resembles a man so it's going to have to be nuJill.
NuJill is the only reincarnation I accept, and that is because... it could be worse? I guess? I would still bang nujill even though she's different. REmake 3 made things extremely complicated. I know I like it but it introduced conflicting feelies.

Look, she has a butt. That's the most important thing. If you take a butt away from a female she becomes useless. Butt is the most important thing and nuJill has a rockin booty.

I have to reevaluate my life at some point. Clearly I went wrong somewhere. My Jill love had nothing to do with it. I think it was alcohol. The strongest demon. Before I die I want to make it a point that you can embarass that faggot. It's my goal in life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Its supposedly coming to Steam at the end of August. Is there any fun to be had? I remember playing when it first came out and had some fun for a month or so. Still looking for a new or old MMO to get back into. How woke is it?

ADL

Prophet
Its supposedly coming to Steam at the end of August. Is there any fun to be had? I remember playing when it first came out and had some fun for a month or so. Still looking for a new or old MMO to get back into.
A lot of the disappointment comes from Guild Wars 1 players expecting something entirely different than what they got. If you're able to get past that, it's one of the few MMOs out there that respects your time, your wallet, and is really going for something different than what everyone else is doing. It's hard to argue that the free2play experience isn't worth trying out or that Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire and End of Dragons collection isn't worth the $49.99. Especially when all that expansion content is viable at endgame because they never raised the gear cap or level cap.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Its supposedly coming to Steam at the end of August. Is there any fun to be had? I remember playing when it first came out and had some fun for a month or so. Still looking for a new or old MMO to get back into.
A lot of the disappointment comes from Guild Wars 1 players expecting something entirely different than what they got. If you're able to get past that, it's one of the few MMOs out there that respects your time, your wallet, and is really going for something different than what everyone else is doing. It's hard to argue that the free2play experience isn't worth trying out or that Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire and End of Dragons collection isn't worth the $49.99. Especially when all that expansion content is viable at endgame because they never raised the gear cap or level cap.

I definitely got some enjoyment out of it for a time, but they nerfed the class I was enjoying (Mesmer) so I lost interest. There's certainly no lack of content to keep you occupied, and the big multiplayer PvE fights that happened (do they still happen?) out in the field were quite good fun.

It's very meticulously constructed, very polished, that's for sure.

Its supposedly coming to Steam at the end of August.

Almost certainly not until they completely overhaul the new player experience. The Steam launch is their last chance to bring in a new wave of players and the current new player experience is alienating.

Is there any fun to be had?

Yes, if you know what you are getting into. Going through the main story provides the sense that you are going an adventure through a high fantasy world. After season 2, each chapter of the story takes you to a brand new high fantasy zone, be it an airship fleet that has crashed into the canopy of a living jungle, the interior of an active volcano, a zone set on top of a humongous dragon, a sea turned into Jade that is being quarried, and so on. Many of the maps have unique traversal gimmicks, such as platforming sections, dark rooms where you can only see 5 feet in front of you, spiderman swinging inside a volcano, etc. (All maps from the expansions btw. The vanilla maps are quite generic, as well as not being anywhere near as well designed, so please don't take them as being indicative of what comes later). There are also some cool setpieces (again, expansion setpieces that is).

0F0elbL.jpg

ryIs6xg.jpg

KqqVeHo.jpg

Don't go into the story expecting the actual writing or narrative to be good, but the voice acting is pretty good and again, the sense of adventure is palpable.

I remember playing when it first came out and had some fun for a month or so.

Launch GW2 was legendarily bad. The game has received a couple overhauls over the years and has finally begun shaking off its launch infamy.

How woke is it?

The vanilla storyline starts off okay. Once you finish that and hit season 1 and season 2, two different lesbian couples are introduced which become major players in the plot. One of the new party members introduced is the inexplicably black son of a white woman from a tribe made up entirely of white people. Otherwise pretty okay up until you hit Icebrood Saga, at which point you realize every nation leader is a woman, and the most badass alpha male party member Rytlock gets whipped. Also one of the big bad dragons gets retconned into being non-binary or something. HOWEVER, this is again all just minor gripes and doesn't overall make the story unbearable.

The latest expansion, End of Dragons, is when the wokeness becomes constantly in your face and insufferable.

it's one of the few MMOs out there that respects your time, your wallet

Erm, no. If you want the game to respect your time, you have to drop $100 minimum to unlock all of the content, and that's before talking about other near mandatory quality of life features like bag and bank space.

The mounts in GW2 are really good. I'm astonished that it has been... what? 5 years since Path of Fire came out, and no other game has copied the mount system.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Erm, no. If you want the game to respect your time, you have to drop $100 minimum to unlock all of the content, and that's before talking about other near mandatory quality of life features like bag and bank space.
$100 is reasonable for 10 years of content though. Also going forward, as long as you login while there's a new living world episode available, you get it for free. Respects your time and your money in the sense that they're not endlessly raising level cap and throwing away expansions worth of content in the process. What you buy you keep and almost every aspect of the game and those old expansions are still active and still valued by the playerbase. Even if you spent $150 the most optimal experience possible, it's still a good value proposition. I think it's kind of silly to come into a buy2play MMO and expect everything for any less.
World of Warcraft: $39.99 for the latest expansion which includes the previous ones + $155 for a year's sub
FFXIV: $59.99 for the collection (they make sure you have Stormblood and Shadowbringers before you can buy Endwalker) + $155 for a year's sub on the starter subscription that only allows you to create one character per server

On GW2 release I got enough gold just from leveling characters to afford to buy enough character slots to have one of every class. I'm guessing that's not possibly now though (gem price history says gems cost 10x as much now as before). Not sure if they'll do another one of the "unlock episodes for free if you login" again like they did in the runup to End of Dragons. You absolutely don't need any more bag or bank space though, there's way more than enough by default.

Unfortunately any game with a free floating currency like Gems will eventually be pushed down by kids who can play 80 hours a week and people in third world countries for whom being able to farm $3 an hour with a dozen accounts is a middle class income. This isn't actually Anet's fault, its just how economics works. And there's no real gold sinks in GW2 because all the expensive stuff is completely optional.

BoroMonokli

Novice
It's a bad fanfiction tier "continuation" of the guild wars story, with none of GW's strong points, and only the weakest lipservice paid to OG GW1's "world".

I'd say even EoTN was a bad fanfiction tier addition, and it went downhill from there: It retconned the charr, retconned the ascalonians into some kind of colonizers, finished off whatever ambiguity there was around the mursaat, and turned our god-slaying heroes into the NEW races' errand boys who don't give a rat's arse about us. I get the last part, they wanted people who just got their feet wet with the tutorial areas to access this and it makes sense for them, but they should have really locked this behind at least completing one of the base campaigns. Then again, it's MMO logic of the time.

A bit more on the new races, they follow the standard formula of WoW with very little deviation, so aside from the humans we have:

the "Warrior Race" - the norn, giants with an animal shapeshifting gimmick that was heavily underutilized and this led to them being little more than "big (dumb) humans" with a norse theme.
the "Magic/Tinker race" - the asura, who are for the lack of better words, furry-scaly hybrids of gnomes and Stitch from that Lilo and Stitch cartoon, down to technobabble and high-gravity egos.
the "Nature race" - the sylvari, who are more or less night elves with a plant gimmick, and had to, along with their entire city/tree be grown from the ground. literally.
the "New old race" - the charr, who although present in the OG gw1 story, as unrepentant villains and literal monsters, were given the warcraft 3/wow orcs treatment on steroids, and they aren't even at war with the humans anymore.

Now this wouldn't be too bad, at worst just being boring and generic, except GW had plenty of races to choose from, who had to be sidelined to make room "new writers' pets", and this was done in an atrocious fashion.

The norn shared their norse style with the dwarves who got conveniently written out of the story for their sake. To add insult to injury their supposedly big and meaningful sacrifice, the culmination point of EoTN was later downgraded into having done precious little, only killing a small general of the big bad fire dragon.

Now if dwarves were "too generic" for the "arrtistic" minds of ANET, who made an effort to distance themselves from WoW only to end up adopting their conventions wholesale, the Tengu (Caromi, Avicara, Angchu, Sensali, Quetzal) were a great alternative - They were actually present in prophecies, were shown not to be complete monsters in factions lore and quests. I guess thats a retcon compared to prophecies, but the tengu were a lot less developed than the charr, so it was not nearly as much of a break from the previous presentation. Now in GW2, they... built their wall and more or less stayed out of the events as much as they could. Honestly I understand them. And made amends in Cantha I guess, although I havent played any of the expansions.

For the asura, the mursaat were much better candidates for the "race type", thanks to the original ambiguity given by GW1's final plot twist, that their whole "evil plot" of fueling magical batteries with human souls, and their big fortifications were meant to keep the titans from overrunning Tyria. And while the titans did indeed pour out to all corners of the continent under the Lich's command, it doesn't mean the mursaat should become extinct, although it kind of did. In EoTN and even more in GW2, they were turned into the most one-dimensional cartoon villains you can imagine. Just for comparison's sake they had more redeeming qualities than the charr.

The sylvari had no equivalents - although I have no doubts that they could have twisted the wardens into a playable race like they twisted the charr, or they could have kept the dwarves and the tengu, and also a breakaway charr faction (similar to the ones we find in the Realm of Torment). Alternatively, the Naga could have been developed into something playable, or abaddon forbid the margonites (since that kill-stealing kormir was in charge now). In hindsight, I don't even mind the base concept of the sylvari as much as their popping out of nowhere and taking most/all the spotlight. (Maguuma druids? Wind Riders? all the unique stuff from gw1? Never heard of them! say GW2's writers)

This doesn't even get into the watered down skill system (or more precisely the lack of it), half-arsed trait system, the wacky level scaling, zerker-unga-bunga instances, etc. Or the gigantic bait and switch that the "personal" story was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom