Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Ash

Arcane
I'm gonna knock you on your fat ass.

Leave Lyric Suite in his ignorance.

90s Final Fantasy is more than art, and perhaps the definitive contender to present in the question of "Do the Japs do it better"? It pains me there are so many "gamers" out there that have not played them, and that they will be lost art one day. But there are those that I can say the same for in the western sphere too, Like Deus Ex, janky as fuck may it be. I tried to preserve it, but it too will be lost one day. Faster than 90s Final Fantasy will as the presentation is not good and the execution imperfect.

Ash

Arcane
Shut your dumb kid mouth when the adults are talking. There are countless people that actually played it on the Codex that could tell you otherwise.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Shut your dumb kid mouth when the adults are talking. There are countless people that actually played it on the Codex that could tell you otherwise.
you are not some big shot, you are a disgusting modder that smears their "i know better" all over classic games

Ash

Arcane
I am absolutely not a big shot, just not dumb as rocks like the average retard gamer (i.e you). And it's not really a matter of "knowing better" than the developers. I would readily admit someone like Sheldon Pacotti is likely a lot smarter than me. It's like this: Deus Ex was made in a mere two years when it needed more time. This resulted in things like the AI for example being completely broken and underdeveloped. Plenty bugs. Plenty imperfections. Now, it is not like that nearly as much. Just keep your mouth shut on matters you do not understand. Of the say 10,000 micro-changes I made, I would bet my life on the original developers approving of 99% of it, with reasoning shown. Dumb kid.

If YOU think you know better (you don't know shit), we can take it to the thread dedicated to it if you like. I likely wont have to say a word, as codex fans that actually played it would do the talking for me.

Last edited:

janior

Arcane
Patron
yeah so what, deus ex is perfectly playable without your stupid mod
just stop making up bullshit that its the same as 'game preservation' because it is not

Ash

Arcane

janior

Arcane
Patron
you are the one acting like a child and are dishonest about what your MOD is
I guess you don't know what game preservation means, go do your homework, kid.

Gerrard

Arcane
sxyKjEF.jpeg

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
For the same reason a man with a wig isn't a woman.
I agree that a man with a wig isn't a woman. But many from the art world would disagree with you.
There are objective realities in this world. Some of them are invisible and can only be understood inwardly. Those cannot be proven discursively but are not less real or objective because of that.
Yes, i understand what you mean and mostly agree with you.
I know for a fact Beethoven was a greater genius than Justin Bieber, but i cannot prove this to you with words alone.
I probably share the same opinion.
You just have to "get it" on your own.
I don't think thats the only way. If you hear professional musicians explaining why music A is so good and B is not, you can follow their reason if they have a good grasp on their field.
Have you ever wondered how did you know what the good songs or the derivative songs were?
I have no problem with these questions.
Understanding what art is requires the same kind of intellective realization.
And here we go. Art has lost meaning and became this little world that means less. Art to me is doing. Art is the combination various knowledge aiming to a singular purpose.

Cooking is art. You have to understand which ingredients have to be fresh, which don't, how to cut them, and when, how long should you cook them, how should you season them. Thats art.
The product is the work of that art. Does it matter if someone says that dish A is art and dish B is not. No. Its meaningless. What is useful is how good it is, how does it taste, how does it look, how healthy it is.

You are all, meaninglessly, arguing if X is art or not. It doesn't matter. Even if you agree that it is, or it isn't, it won't change how you appreciate it.
You are wasting time with a category that holds no importance.

On the other hand, knowing if something is poison is useful.
Should i eat this mushroom? No, its poisonous.
Should i play this game? Yes, its good.
Should i read this book? Oh no, because its not art.

Ash

Arcane
you are the one acting like a child and are dishonest about what your MOD is
I guess you don't know what game preservation means, go do your homework, kid.

Ah that's the problem. Too stupid to understand that "preservation" can mean anything other than the tradition of archival and technical maintenance to run on modern hardware. No, the mod is not that. Of course it's not that. Jesus fucking christ. What I meant by that is fixing things like AI, adding quality of life, bugfixes, removal of jank, making the game overall more complete and polished to keep it palatable as modern convenience and polish reduces people's tolerance for all that, especially most kids your age and the newcomers to come.

Come to my thread if you want learn a few things, kid. Stop spoiling this thread with your retardation.

Silverfish

Arbiter
and seem to think every time somebody doesn't mindlessly slobber over your precious Japofags games is somehow a personal attack.

I don't think it's a personal attack at all. I do think that the wailing over consoles that's become a fairly standard part of gaming discourse is hilarious when considered in proper context.

I don't give a fuck about Mario. No western developer ever had the slighest intention of competing with that kind of shit.

Pretty worrying that Rare, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Crystal Dynamics, Accolade, Argonaut, Traveler's Tales and Audiogenic are all figments of my imagination.

I consider most Halo fans to be cretinous morons for this reason.

Never beat your older brother in 1v1 and still salty.

There's no sense of freedom or possibility for emergent gameplay in modern western games,

sddefault.jpg

I'm starting to think weaboos need a violent threshing to wake up from their delusion and make them join the real world.

Weebs have the power of God and Anime on their side, so that seems unlikely.

I know for a fact Beethoven was a greater genius than Justin Bieber, but i cannot prove this to you with words alone. You just have to "get it" on your own.

"This is a fact."

"Can you prove it?"

"No."

"Oh."

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't think thats the only way. If you hear professional musicians explaining why music A is so good and B is not, you can follow their reason if they have a good grasp on their field.

Here's what a professional musician would say:

1) Beethoven is more profound (opinion, umprovable).
2) His music is more technically accomplished (why is more technical better? Where's the proof?).
3) Beethoven is more virtuosic (who says that makes it better?).

And so on.

Stoned Ape

Savant
But when it comes to games i don't think they even qualify as art at all. What is being expressed by Tetris?
When you learn certain types of games which rely on muscle memory and reactions (Tetris being one of them) you can play without thought and enter a flow state that is comparable to a form of egoless meditation which can let you temporarily let you feel as if you are touching the divine. Music can do a similar thing. I've never felt that way about cinema, though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Pretty worrying that Rare, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Crystal Dynamics, Accolade, Argonaut, Traveler's Tales and Audiogenic are all figments of my imagination.

I had to google every single one of those. Turns out it's all shit, from top to bottom. Not sure what this is supposed to prove. At first i thought you were trying to show that western devs do care about Mario but then there's shit like Last of Us so what is this?

I hope to God you don't believe those companies are good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The consoltard retardation in full display.

"I can't prove things I claim to be facts, thus making you the retard."

You cannot prove that the only proof that is valid is the kind that falls under your arbitrary definition, retard.

Rationaltards are a special brand of morons who don't even know what they don't know.

Let's try a small test here, shall we? Prove to me that Japanese games aren't ALL colossals piles of shit. Every single one of them, no exceptions, even those of FromSoft. Show me both the scientific evidence and the rational arguments that would demonstrate my claim is completely wrong with absolute certainty.

I mean, should be easy, right?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
There are objective realities in this world. Some of them are invisible and can only be understood inwardly.
Whose inward understanding?
Because even the wisest sages cannot see eye to eye on those
but i cannot prove this to you with words alone.
You can and people have
Because objective standards have long been established and proven correct
But "Laziness never kept good servants" as we say here
Have you ever listened to an album that has great songs in it but also derivative songs that are pretty much just filler? Have you ever wondered how did you know what the good songs or the derivative songs were?
Except it's quite common that what some people deem as filler, others deem good
Ironic, because this is the "modernist" conception of art
As again
The oldest and most common conception of art is a skill or craft
It's only by the 17th century that this shift of art as a "higher" pursuit begins to take hold in the western world
That's how we got to modern art
Modern Art began because artists in the late 19th century were tired of observing the conventions and standards of time which art shcolars held in reverence
Their logic being that since art was a creative endeavor, it shouldn't be restricted by "academic dogma"
So they started to do whatever the fuck they wanted to

And modern art in of itself isn't bad
Art Nouveau and Art Deco are modernist and they're both fucking great
Shit, even post-modernist art can produce good works if the author is intelligent and knows wtf he's doing

I had to google every single one of those. Turns out it's all shit, from top to bottom. Not sure what this is supposed to prove. At first i thought you were trying to show that western devs do care about Mario but then there's shit like Last of Us so what is this?
Obviously to show that some western companies did try to compete in platformers.

I hope to God you don't believe those companies are good.
Rare used to be good.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Not sure what this is supposed to prove.

That US and UK bros made platformers in an attempt to compete with Mario.

who don't even know what they don't know.

Obviously.

Let's try a small test here, shall we? Prove to me that Japanese games aren't ALL colossals piles of shit.

"Please adopt my losing tactics." I never argued that my subjective viewpoints were actually facts.

This whole thread has a lot of tiny dick energy, most typical for the Japs.

I don't make it a point to look at dudes' dicks, so I'll have to take the expert's word for it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Prove to me
Dude, there is nothing anyone on this entire planet could do to prove to you that water is wet. You're a crazy person. You're like a child that thinks monsters are under the bed but only when the adults aren't in the room.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There are objective realities in this world. Some of them are invisible and can only be understood inwardly.
Whose inward understanding?
Because even the wisest sages cannot see eye to eye on those

No, wrong. That's an outright denial of the worth of human intelligence which, among other things, would put into question what you just said.

Your claim that every perception is subjective is in itself subjective thus it denies itself at the outset. Try again.

but i cannot prove this to you with words alone.
You can and people have
Because objective standards have long been established and proven correct
But "Laziness never kept good servants" as we say here

Ok, prove to me in words alone that Beethoven is greater than Britney Spears.

Have you ever listened to an album that has great songs in it but also derivative songs that are pretty much just filler? Have you ever wondered how did you know what the good songs or the derivative songs were?
Except it's quite common that what some people deem as filler, others deem good

So it's all, like, subjective man?

In which case, why even bother partake in this discussion. Everything you say has as much value as everything i said, meaning, no value at all.

Ironic, because this is the "modernist" conception of art
As again
The oldest and most common conception of art is a skill or craft
It's only by the 17th century that this shift of art as a "higher" pursuit begins to take hold in the western world

Yeah but you seem to be unaware of the fact in the ancient world every craft was an art and not the other way around like you seem to believe here. Apropos:

http://www.studiesincomparativereli...ibit_Works_of_Art-by_Ananda_Coomaraswamy.aspx

Essentially, even those so called "practical" objects the ancient world produced were artistic in the 17th century sense, which is why they appear to be beautiful to us. Everybody agrees for instance that Greek vases were an HIGH art. The fact they were every day objects doesn't devalue them or make even remotely related to the every day objects of our own age. Even instruments of war used to be works of art, just look at the decorations and embellishments in the gear and weaponry used by ancient armies.

With that said, even back then there was still an hierarchy where even the most beautifully made implement wouldn't compare to an icon, or the reliefs in a cathedral and so forth. There was still an awarness that content in art mattered.

That's how we got to modern art
Modern Art began because artists in the late 19th century were tired of observing the conventions and standards of time which art shcolars held in reverence

Modern art begun because the Renaissance replaced sacred art with formalistic art, formalistic art being a rationalistic art. In this sense, modern art is very much related to post-modernism in thought.

In sacred art, the forms were sublimated by the object being rapresented, which, being "not of this world", required a degree of approximation and couldn't be too "literal" by necessity. Christian icons were made the way they were because a truly "realistic" depiction of Christ wouldn't be able to convey the divine or celestial nature of Jesus as the eternal Word or Logos. A realistic painting of Christ would be nothing more than a mere man, no matter the talent of the painter. Likewise, if you look at those ancient landscape paintings from the far east, both Chinese and Japanese, you can feel the art was consciously trying to avoid putting too much stress on what can be seen with the eyes in order to convey something of the unseen. As far as what the eye can see, there isn't much to this art, but that's because the point was to implicitly rapresent what CAN'T be seen, the spiritual reality that is beyond what our senses can percieve.

Thus, both ancient art and modern art have a tendency to mistrust form. The main difference however is that ancient art avoided putting too much emphasis on form for the sake of conveying something higher. Modern art, by contrast, does the opposite. The moderns having declared there is nothing higher than our reality, attempted to escape from the limits of form not by transcending it from within like in sacred art, but by transcending it from without, by breaking it apart, which is akin to trying to wrestle infinity out of the finite. And why this was a reaction or a revolt against the excessive formalism and literalism introduced by the Renaissance, it was still a push towards something worse. Same with rationalism vis post-modernism, which, limited that it may be, it's still preferrable to the latter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom