Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's mostly useless without numbers, I just like poking the passionate culture warriors. Sony's "second biggest launch ever" is pretty crazy though, people really must have liked that first one. The long tail might be disrupted as someone said above, but I still think it's far from devastating.

There is a reason why they publish this kind of garbage articles.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Who really wants to bet that this game won't reach 10 million?

I'm comfortable with lying after I'm proven wrong, so you're on. The Last of Us 2 will not sell 10 million copies.

5.3 mil people bought Tlou 2 in the period from 19th of June(the release of the game) till 13th of July.

TEvK.gif

Väderhatt

Novice
So yeah, get woke go broke generally works, only sometimes it takes time. These legendary IPs like TLoU or Star Wars, created in happier times, are made of granite, they don't go down fast.

Precisely, but it may take more than a decade. Even after years of controversies, Star Wars IX still made >1 billion USD, and will so forth with each new major installment (not counting Solo). Why? Because, there are still many consumers happy with that.

Same with TLoU: regardless of the quality of writing, the whole "Walking Dead" setting appeals to a impressive number of people. Adding the genuinely nice graphics, the ability to violently butcher your opponent and some illusion of "stealth", more than enough to score huge sales. And the execs at Naughty Dog know it. Sophisticated cutomers are not needed ("lower your f***ing standarts, lol!").

Still curious how well will TLoU3 fare, though...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Even after years of controversies, Star Wars IX still made >1 billion USD

It's gonna be like Star Wars - TLJ did make 1.3 billion. That's a huge amount of money and huge profit for Disney.

Problem is it's way less than 2.1 billion for Force Awakens. And it also caused the third film to flop even more, with "mere" 1.1 billion. This is not what's expected from successful trilogies. Series like LotR or Harry Potter were either more or equally successful with each subsequent sequel.

So my humble tip is this: TLoU1 sold 20 million (as did Uncharted 4). The second game will sell maybe 13 million? And if they make a third game it'll have a hard time reaching 10 million. And this is all the most optimistic prediction for ND I could manage.

And just like that Naughty Dog will decline from a studio that was regularly selling 20 million to someone selling half that, if lucky. From the top of the world into the crowded average.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The third game will probably be a prequel starring Joel, if it even gets made. Within a year, Druckmann will announce he's leaving Naughty Dog to start his own studio "totally of his own free will."

Olinser

Savant
Even after years of controversies, Star Wars IX still made >1 billion USD

It's gonna be like Star Wars - TLJ did make 1.3 billion. That's a huge amount of money and huge profit for Disney.

Problem is it's way less than 2.1 billion for Force Awakens. And it also caused the third film to flop even more, with "mere" 1.1 billion. This is not what's expected from successful trilogies. Series like LotR or Harry Potter were either more or equally successful with each subsequent sequel.

So my humble tip is this: TLoU1 sold 20 million (as did Uncharted 4). The second game will sell maybe 13 million? And if they make a third game it'll have a hard time reaching 10 million. And this is all the most optimistic prediction for ND I could manage.

And just like that Naughty Dog will decline from a studio that was regularly selling 20 million to someone selling half that, if lucky. From the top of the world into the crowded average.

Similar tracks, but this is MUCH, MUCH worse for video games than a franchise like Star Wars.

I agree with you, $1.1 billion from what was billed as CONCLUSION TO SKYWALKER SAGA is a ludicrous underperformance for what they wanted/hoped for (even though the 'Skywalker Saga' was a marketing term that literally did not exist unti movie 3 and they finally realized how much damage Roundhead Johnson had done to the fan base).

But with a franchise like that, investors aren't just looking at movie earnings. Even people that didn't necessarily see the movie in theatres may still spend money for rentals, or buy a digital copy or DVD. In some cases they don't even care about actual movie earnings except as a marker for how popular something is. The BIG MONEY comes from all the other sales - toys, DVD sales, streaming contracts, etc. For literally decades, Star Wars was the single biggest seller of toys for the holiday season every single year, there is a REASON that Disney bought the franchise for $4 billion dollars, and it wasn't because the Prequel Trilogy movies made a few hundred million at the box office. Last Jedi was disastrous for the franchise because it destroyed that. There is now ZERO DEMAND for toys, extremely low DVD sales, and zero interest from fans in future stories with the characters. NOBODY gives a shit about Rey or wants more movies with Rey. That's also why, despite 'LUL CAPTAIN WAHMENZ MADE BILLION DOLLARZ', you have yet to see her actually show up in another movie except Endgame, and why it took them so long to announce the sequel. Because outside the movie (that they puffed up attendence by outright lying that you had to see it to understand Endgame, literally the biggest movie of all time), there is ZERO demand for Captain Marvel crap. Nobody is buying action figures, toys, or comics.

So movie success is just a data point that they look at when evaluating the success of the real money makers for a movie franchise.

Now for a video game company, on the other hand, you really only have two ways to make money - sales of the game, and DLC (or micro transactions). ESPECIALLY in this day and age. Left Behind DLC for TLOU sold like gangbusters. The Remaster did massive sales.

The original Last Of Us was so popular that it actually sold MORE COPIES on PS4 than PS3 (I believe it has sold about 8 million on PS3 and 9 million on PS4), and incidentally followed the exact opposite trajectory of TLOU2. The original LOU only sold a bit over 1 million copies in its first week, and was up around 4 million by the end of the month. Then sales settled down into a relatively regular month to month sales, and the Remaster obviously brought the hype back with massive sales, which further contributed to hype for the second game. Demand and hype only grew as people bought and played the game. TLOU2, on the other hand, had massive first 3 DAY sales (not even week), and then it fell off a cliff and shows no signs of recovering.

Even for the shills, who the hell WANTS a TLOU 3 at this point? Literally the only people I've seen saying they want a sequel are the ones that want to play more Abby. NOBODY cares about Ellie anymore.

I dare Naughty Dog. Release a DLC and see how your sales are. Then come back and try and crow about FASTEST SELLING LUL.

Investors don't want fastest selling video games. They want cash cows that they can milk for years (one of the reasons the mobile scourge is happening is because they're dirt cheap to make, and if you can catch lightning in a bottle you can make bank for years).

So yes, TLOU2 had a massive first couple days sales, and fell off a cliff. This does not bode well for its success and continued existence as a franchise.

Ash

Arcane
I'm fine with retardo games like this existing. That's fine. They absolutely shouldn't be so popular, nor should this thread have 99 pages however. It's all very disappointing. It has good acting, graphics and cinematography, it's a masterpiece says gamers and journos. Never mind the gameplay is utterly medocre and the story completely retarded.

Olinser

Savant
"Mom!" "These stupid people are still buying that game I don't like!" "Whaaaa!"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ate-its-also-sonys-second-biggest-launch-ever

LUL, posting the exact same crap people did weeks ago '4 MILLION IN FIRST WEEK'. Yep, a perfect demonstration of exactly how hyped people were from the first game. And then sales fell off a CLIFF and show no signs of recovering.

As I said. Go on, Naughty Dog. Release a DLC for this game and see the sales.

I dare you.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
LUL, posting the exact same crap people did weeks ago '4 MILLION IN FIRST WEEK'. Yep, a perfect demonstration of exactly how hyped people were from the first game. And then sales fell off a CLIFF and show no signs of recovering.

If this is true it is of course very telling, like Batman v. Superman which was a hit movie for a few days until it wasn't. I've seen no real firm reporting on this though, just guesses and estimates based on partial info. Sony doesn't release digital numbers as far as I know. Investors will eventually find out though.

JDR13

Arcane

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ate-its-also-sonys-second-biggest-launch-ever

You might want to try reading the article, dipshit.

Olinser

Savant

YOU might want to try reading the article and doing some actual research, dipshit. The article has zero new information that hasn't been out there for a month. The info has been posted in this thread for weeks, since the game came out. As has been posted many times by many people, myself included, opening week sales are a demonstration of hype based on previous installments of the series. They could have made a game that was the gameplay demo, and then held up a jar of mayonnaise on the screen for 10 hours before rolling the credits, and it would have done millions of copies. Because the first one was just that damn good and popular.

It sold 4 million copies in its opening weekend - literally the first 3 days it was out. Fantastic sales numbers, and a demonstration of just how hyped people were, based on how amazing the first game was.

And then it fell off a cliff. It was widely reported that sales dropped 80% in its second week (despite week 1 only being 3 days), and then they have refused to release any further sales numbers. Try and find concrete data for July so far. You can't do it. They're still writing articles about FOUR MILLION COPIES LUL.

And the ONLY number that every single shill media repeats, over and over and over and over again, like its some kind of prayer. FOUR MILLION COPIES. FASTEST SELLING PS4 EXCLUSIVE! FOUR MILLION COPIES!
DID WE MENTION FOUR MILLION COPIES!

Its literally the only number they give you. That list they're quoting in the article? Has no actual total sales numbers. It just ranks it at #1 with no data to back it up. I'm sure it IS number one, there's pretty much zero competition.

Isn't it funny that we're in the middle of July, and they're still writing articles about its sales from its opening weekend - from June over a month ago? And posting charts with no actual numbers?

If the numbers were good, take it to the bank that Naughty Dog and Cuckman would be screaming about them every day and rubbing it in the faces of people that openly bash the game. They're be publicly posting a running count. They were certainly doing it with FOUR MILLION LUL.

Do some actual research and find the current sales as of mid July. Then come back and try to act like its doing well.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm extremely butthurt over how well it's done so far!

Yes, we can see that. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone put that kind of effort into pretending something they want to see fail isn't a success when it obviously is.

I know it sucks, but give it awhile. The butthurt will slowly fade over time.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
The thing to watch if you hope for FAILZ is this and how quickly the curve flattens (right now its a huge ps4 exclusive). It will take a couple of months for it to be accurate (cause its based on public ps4 achievemetns). And correlate to prices accross used/new game sales.
ketMtzR.png

The Problem is, even if TLOU2 fails, it wont fail because of SJW... (its a game made for consoletards, bought by consoletards - they are not capable of thought) ... it will fail because Cuckman killed Joel. He could not stand a white male father having a positive, loving relationship with a loving daughter.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That is pretty unreliable source. It is a marketing scheme lol. It is numbers that come from sony themself,it is amusing how the game is put at the top of the list to show off. I doubt that there are that many players really.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

YOU might want to try reading the article and doing some actual research, dipshit. The article has zero new information that hasn't been out there for a month. The info has been posted in this thread for weeks, since the game came out. As has been posted many times by many people, myself included, opening week sales are a demonstration of hype based on previous installments of the series. They could have made a game that was the gameplay demo, and then held up a jar of mayonnaise on the screen for 10 hours before rolling the credits, and it would have done millions of copies. Because the first one was just that damn good and popular.

It sold 4 million copies in its opening weekend - literally the first 3 days it was out. Fantastic sales numbers, and a demonstration of just how hyped people were, based on how amazing the first game was.

And then it fell off a cliff. It was widely reported that sales dropped 80% in its second week (despite week 1 only being 3 days), and then they have refused to release any further sales numbers. Try and find concrete data for July so far. You can't do it. They're still writing articles about FOUR MILLION COPIES LUL.

And the ONLY number that every single shill media repeats, over and over and over and over again, like its some kind of prayer. FOUR MILLION COPIES. FASTEST SELLING PS4 EXCLUSIVE! FOUR MILLION COPIES!
DID WE MENTION FOUR MILLION COPIES!

Its literally the only number they give you. That list they're quoting in the article? Has no actual total sales numbers. It just ranks it at #1 with no data to back it up. I'm sure it IS number one, there's pretty much zero competition.

Isn't it funny that we're in the middle of July, and they're still writing articles about its sales from its opening weekend - from June over a month ago? And posting charts with no actual numbers?

If the numbers were good, take it to the bank that Naughty Dog and Cuckman would be screaming about them every day and rubbing it in the faces of people that openly bash the game. They're be publicly posting a running count. They were certainly doing it with FOUR MILLION LUL.

Do some actual research and find the current sales as of mid July. Then come back and try to act like its doing well.
Can you show some examples to the opposite? I mean, you say that the devs/media not boasting about new sales records proves that the game failed because after the initial 4 million copies the sales died off.
Could you show us a successfull game where constant sales records were reported by the devs/media again and again, week after week?
Because as far as I know, companies usually report sales for the first few days, when the first big push happens. That is their peak marketing period. They reported on 4 million. Then they reported on 5 million. Obviously, like with every game, the sales slow down, and there is no reason reporting 5.3, 5.6 million etc.
The game sold double than the first one in the same period. You say that despite this, it is not doing well. What numbers do you expecting, which would mean it is doing well?

So not reporting about new sales record doesn't mean a thing. But if you have some other data, I'd gladly take a look.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom