Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I guess when I sit and think about it, the problem that looms larger than the game itself is the morally lazy idea that all violence has to be judged with the same weights, which ends up creating a ground so shaky that nobody could ever say something was right or wrong. The best example of this is the ending of the first game, where Joel actually makes what could be the most justifiable and least morally confusing decision in the entire game: kill the people who are ready to murder a defenseless child.

For this to be weighed ex post facto as some kind of deep, murky moral abyss is not only lazy, it is immoral itself. If the story cannot bring itself to say that engaging in violence in the defense of an anesthetized teenager -- who is about to be murdered and have her brain harvested -- is okay, then as far as I'm concerned it cannot say anything of value at all. We should not trust a word that comes out of its mouth.

The counter argument here is that Abby doesn't care, that she is acting out of emotion and she just wants revenge. If we grant this is true, what is it saying about her character? That she doesn't care that her parents were killed to prevent them from committed child murder? Okay. She's a fucking moron, then. What fun is it to play as a fucking moron? But worse, to give Abby a chance in the story (to be "fair" to her character) is to actually be unfair to player -- why should any decent person give a flying fuck what it is like to play as someone so fucking stupid and ultimately evil? What's to be gained?

"Violence begets violence!" is therefore hurled at the player as a lazy shibboleth. Apart from being untrue (anyone who has ever punched a bully in the nose and successfully prevented further bullying, or anyone who has defended their home from a break-in, can attest to the uselessness of this idiotic phrase), it's not even useful as a rhetorical teaching tool because sometimes the chain of violence is perfectly justified, and sometimes it is not. It is sometimes the case where being violent is the correct course of action. Joel had a case, Abby did not. End of story.

Ellie's story is perhaps more interesting and certainly more nuanced, but she just seems to be your garden-variety sociopath who is now addicted to combat and killing. Okay. The issue is, her wanting to seek revenge for Joel is mirrored against Abby's desire for revenge re: her parents, as if both parties have a similar level of grievance. If you believe that revenge is a morally justifiable course of action, then certainly the guilt/innocence of the party in question has to enter into the equation and we're back to square one: Ellie's actions would in some sense be more justifiable -- perhaps even more "moral" -- than Abby's because she is avenging Joel, who let's remember did the right thing.

Ellie is obviously unhinged and suffering from some pathology, up to and including PTSD. And while her individual story may be more interesting, the moral arc of the story is not; it is, in fact, the same shit you've heard over and over again about violence: it's all bad, all the time, don't think about it, if you question it you're a moral monster, and hey did you hear MOVIE STAR CLAPPED BACK at her detractors???

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
I can already see the headlines in a few months on sites such as IGN etc. "TLOU2: REVISITED - WAS THE STORY REALLY THAT GREAT???"

DemonKing

Arcane
"Violence begets violence!" is therefore hurled at the player as a lazy shibboleth.

For a game that's preaching anti-violence, the gameplay sure seems to revel in it to the point where you barely notice all the gory antics you're pulling off a couple of hours in.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For a game that's preaching anti-violence, the gameplay sure seems to revel in it to the point where you barely notice all the gory antics you're pulling off a couple of hours in.

Haven't played it, but pretty sure "SEE! You're enjoying this so you're part of the problem!!!" is part of the message.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
That and the "Press X to brutally murder this person to continue the story where we berate you for brutal murder" shtick

DemonKing

Arcane

Haven't played it, but pretty sure "SEE! You're enjoying this so you're part of the problem!!!" is part of the message.

Whoever did the chunks left after an explosion was definitely enjoying themselves too much then...

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's SpecOps all over again.

Pretty much, but at least SpecOps tried to make its point by having Walker completely unravel during the last third or so. The Last of Us wants to make similar points about violence and entertainment, but has its characters start, and then remain, as 2020 Portland douchebags.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Besides, "Violence breeds violence" was already done and this is a cheap knock off.

Yep, plenty of games have covered violence and revenge before and handled it better than Last of Us 2.
Seeing people trying to defend Ellie not killing Abby as "breaking the cycle of revenge" amuses me. The cycle was not broken. Ellie has killed so many characters over the course of the game, that just as Joel got someone after his head for killing a NPC in the first game (who you HAD to kill, btw), Ellie is sure to have people after her head.
Not killing Abby just robs the player of Catharsis, imo.

Pretentious writing is pretentious. As expected from a disciple of Sarkeesian.

Potato Canon

Novice
The game passes no judgement on the player's choice to use violence or avoid it. Whether you kill everything that moves, or sneak through levels without detection, there is no punishment or reward for choosing one path over the other. Unlike Metal Gear Solid V, for example, or games with any kind of karma systems.

The theme of the game's story is obsession, not violence. The game isn't moralizing, it isn't trying to teach some kind of lesson. The story is a tragedy, and an examination of its its dual protagonists at different stages on their paths of destructive single-minded obsession. That violence is involved at all is because it is a mainstream video game where you kill "bad guys", and that violent murders are a staple of dramatic popular fiction. When characters are shown to go "too far" with violent acts, it is a metaphor for loss of control, and not about the violence itself. The game delights in the violence, the violence is painstakingly and lovingly crafted and animated. Including some satisfyingly brutal melee fights with combatants just beating or slicing the shit out of each other, not just banging swords against armor.

And it has a cool trick of attaching the player to characters, then having a boss fight against those characters in gory brutal cat fights. Which is not something you get to see every day, but the trick only really works on a first time playthrough when you have no idea what the outcomes will be.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ate-its-also-sonys-second-biggest-launch-ever

LsBlARL.jpg

"Get woke go broke!!!" :lol:

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't really understand this article though. "Biggest release in 2020 so far" - what does that even mean? There's been no other big releases. Only Animal Crossing and TLOU2 didn't sell as well as it did (and won't).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's mostly useless without numbers, I just like poking the passionate culture warriors. Sony's "second biggest launch ever" is pretty crazy though, people really must have liked that first one. The long tail might be disrupted as someone said above, but I still think it's far from devastating.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's mostly useless without numbers, I just like poking the passionate culture warriors. Sony's "second biggest launch ever" is pretty crazy though, people really must have liked that first one. The long tail might be disrupted as someone said above, but I still think it's far from devastating.
They are really smashing records, there was the biggest second week drop off in sales for a PS4 title title record but I guess that isnt a so flattering of a record breaking achievement to shill about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They are really smashing records, there was the biggest second week drop off in sales for a PS4 title title record but I guess that isnt a so flattering of a record breaking achievement to shill about.

They updated that article today but I don't know what they added. They don't report digital sales so I don't think anyone really knows what it sold every week. Maybe we'll get a "well it disappointed" shareholder comment in a year like Battlefield 5 got, but who knows.

Codex Year of the Donut

They updated that article today but I don't know what they added. They don't report digital sales so I don't think anyone really knows what it sold every week. Maybe we'll get a "well it disappointed" shareholder comment in a year like Battlefield 5 got, but who knows.
Wonder how long until shareholders start demanding more transparency from these companies, kind of bizarre how they just let them do whatever without reporting any real figures.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's mostly useless without numbers, I just like poking the passionate culture warriors.

Aren't you old enough to know that every movie or vidya initially sells on the strength of previous installments?

The Last Jedi has the second best opening day AND weekend in the history of cinema. It went on to become THE meme of the decade as the general populace caught on what a shitshow it actually was.

So yeah, get woke go broke generally works, only sometimes it takes time. These legendary IPs like TLoU or Star Wars, created in happier times, are made of granite, they don't go down fast.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Aren't you old enough to know that every movie or vidya initially sells on the strength of previous installments?

I've made that point in this thread a bunch of times.

So yeah, get woke go broke generally works, only sometimes it takes time. These legendary IPs like TLoU or Star Wars, created in happier times, are made of granite, they don't go down fast.

I don't really think there's any proof it works at all, but there's a whole thread Infinitron made for me somewhere that gets into all that.

Terenty

Liturgist
I've indulged in some autistic detective work and that's what i found:

According to Sony they sold more than 4mil copies in the first 2-3 days. Obviously on hype alone.

According to this website that tracks playstation data
https://gamstat.com/games/

5.3 mil people bought Tlou 2 in the period from 19th of June(the release of the game) till 13th of July. It means that in 25 days after the first weekend the game sold approximately 1 mil. I would say its a pretty steep drop off.
The game,having sold more than Spider-Man initially, performed worse in the following days. I see the backlash as the most likely reason for that.

Now lets calculate the approximate budget of tlou2.

The game was in development for 4 years minimum. According to the first website i googled Naughty Dog has 460 employees. I honestly don't know how much devs earn, so somebody more knowledgeable is welcome here.

But let's say the development cost is somewhere 150mil. The ad campaign was pretty big with giant billboards, tv spots etc. Another 100mill. So 250-300 mill altogether.

Now 5.3mill sold * 60$ = 318mil $ of revenue. Although there were more expensive limited editions in the mix so maybe another +10 mil$

Doesn't look that hot now, does it.

But its all just speculation obviously maybe i'm completely off base here

Olinser

Savant
I've indulged in some autistic detective work and that's what i found:

According to Sony they sold more than 4mil copies in the first 2-3 days. Obviously on hype alone.

According to this website that tracks playstation data
https://gamstat.com/games/

5.3 mil people bought Tlou 2 in the period from 19th of June(the release of the game) till 13th of July. It means that in 25 days after the first weekend the game sold approximately 1 mil. I would say its a pretty steep drop off.
The game,having sold more than Spider-Man initially, performed worse in the following days. I see the backlash as the most likely reason for that.

Now lets calculate the approximate budget of tlou2.

The game was in development for 4 years minimum. According to the first website i googled Naughty Dog has 460 employees. I honestly don't know how much devs earn, so somebody more knowledgeable is welcome here.

But let's say the development cost is somewhere 150mil. The ad campaign was pretty big with giant billboards, tv spots etc. Another 100mill. So 250-300 mill altogether.

Now 5.3mill sold * 60$ = 318mil $ of revenue. Although there were more expensive limited editions in the mix so maybe another +10 mil$

Doesn't look that hot now, does it.

But its all just speculation obviously maybe i'm completely off base here

It's not that simple, and actually its much WORSE for Naughty Dog. You're calculating as though they get the full $60 per copy - they absolutely do not. You have all kinds of costs associated with production and shipping of the game, and the platform/store they sell it on also gets their cut. You buy from Gamestop, for instance, they get a reasonable % for themselves. Even if you buy online from the Sony store, you lose a couple dollars for the credit card company transaction at a minimum. No way to tell for sure their exact cut, but they DEFINITELY do not get to keep the full $60.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also if people do really dislike the game, for various reasons, then they'll trade it in and others will buy it used and Sony makes bupkis from that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom