Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last of Us Part 1 - next-gen remake out now on PS5/PC

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
GOTY
84a.jpg

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
If you guys weren't running these games on shit potatoes maybe you wouldn't be having so many issues. Upgrade your rigs, bitches.

Other than the precompile shit, which is probably a fuck up somewhere, the port seems pretty standard?

A lot of the butthurt seems to be from retards who bought those shit ampere cards, after being endlesslessly warned that paying top dollar for rake-thin vbuffers only ever ends in tears.

Oropay

Educated
Digital Foundry commentary is up. Verdict: instability, poor performance relative to the console version, excessive CPU usage during gameplay, extremely long loading times (besides the initial shader compile), and very poor texture optimization. Low textures look worse than PS3 textures but use more VRAM than Cyberpunk. PC's Ultra also doesn't look any better than console, and there's no RT on PC, which is a feature that PC can use to get better image quality. Bad port, but everyone knew this already.

ADL

Prophet
The Twitter replies unironically praising Naughty Dog for "transparency" legitimately infuriate and disgust me.
Hilarious given that it's not transparent at all. They put that statement out quickly because Jason Schreier was publishing an article later that morning about how fucked the project is and how a majority of the team moved over to a new singleplayer IP. Doubt it will ever see the light of day.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...multiplayer-video-game-faces-setbacks-at-sony

Just finished the PC port of The Last of Us Part 1.

It was my cold introduction to this IP, I have only vageuly read about it online in the past.

Basically, it's an extremely overrated interactive movie, only suitable to being a next-gen launch title.

In terms of the actual story... BORING. Coming from someone who has watched or is familiar with every zombie movie made since the OG Night of the Living Dead.

The main problem with the story is that the characters, while extensively developed to the point that this game was easily adapted into a TV show, ARE ALL BORING AF.

I stopped giving a shit after Joel's daughter died in the game's intro, which is the best part of the game by far, in fact, it reminded me very much of the beginning of the Dawn of the Dead remake.

After the prologue, the main charcter wakes up from a drunken stupor 20 years later, older and somehow dumber than he was before he lost his daughter.

Joel spends the rest of the game mumbling hillbilly gibberish and stumbling across a gameworld that lacks variety and is not intimidating whatsoever—neither are the infected.

The gameplay is horribly repetitive: enemy-AI is limited to a 5-foot half circle in front of them, regardless of whether they have their flashlights turned on or not; moving dumpsters, ladders, wooden planks, and hoisting characters up to reach previously unaccessible areas is annoying not immersive; and anything mildy redeeming such as the mounted sequences and Ellie's bow hunting segment are ruined by the nonstop barrage of QTE's!

QTE's serve zero purpose in games... They don't make the game experience anymore fun, challenging, or immersive, the content they cover is best left to in-game cutscenes.

9ted6

Educated
I hate those type of "interactive movie" games so friggin much, you have no idea...
QTE's are fucking terrible and ruin immersion, they don't add anything in terms of entertainment.
The whole gameplay loop is walking down a hallway, doing a QTE, getting a cutscene then going to the next level.

At least Telltale's old games had interactive characters to give you the illusion of choice.

Machocruz

Arcane
Slowly walking and talking segments are maybe the worst thing introduced in AAA games. Plague Tale: Requiem, an otherwise decent stealth adventure, was...plagued by them too

9ted6

Educated
Slowly walking and talking segments are maybe the worst thing introduced in AAA games. Plague Tale: Requiem, an otherwise decent stealth adventure, was...plagued by them too
Detroit Become Human got it right or at least came close. It's a walking talking QTE game but there's decent C&C and the majority of dialogue is decided with player options. If you're gonna do it it's the right way instead of forcing the player to sit there with no input and listen to VAs reading scripts.

Semiurge

Cipher
Getting the impression the game industry is now at the "no one knows how to build pyramids anymore" stage of decline.

That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? (Decline narratives generally are, but this is far from a visual disaster.) I readily admitted not playing the original, but to the point: complaint 2 is more than fair, particularly the absent mountains, and 3 is so-so; the first one is just a shifted framing, and the last complaint is just silly.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised I disagree, I find this guy's art rather ick. Anyway, I stand by my point about the character models, and in particular their faces -- they are dramatically improved.

xHAjjrC.png

Tell me this isn't an improvement. One looks like an actual human child, the other bordering on alien.

This character seems to have had a race switch, from vaguely oriental stylized to more realistic caucasoid. The one on the left looks like a member of a K-pop group.

Elttharion

Learned

It was my cold introduction to this IP, I have only vageuly read about it online in the past.

Basically, it's an extremely overrated interactive movie, only suitable to being a next-gen launch title.

In terms of the actual story... BORING. Coming from someone who has watched or is familiar with every zombie movie made since the OG Night of the Living Dead.

The main problem with the story is that the characters, while extensively developed to the point that this game was easily adapted into a TV show, ARE ALL BORING AF.

I stopped giving a shit after Joel's daughter died in the game's intro, which is the best part of the game by far, in fact, it reminded me very much of the beginning of the Dawn of the Dead remake.

After the prologue, the main charcter wakes up from a drunken stupor 20 years later, older and somehow dumber than he was before he lost his daughter.

Joel spends the rest of the game mumbling hillbilly gibberish and stumbling across a gameworld that lacks variety and is not intimidating whatsoever—neither are the infected.

The gameplay is horribly repetitive: enemy-AI is limited to a 5-foot half circle in front of them, regardless of whether they have their flashlights turned on or not; moving dumpsters, ladders, wooden planks, and hoisting characters up to reach previously unaccessible areas is annoying not immersive; and anything mildy redeeming such as the mounted sequences and Ellie's bow hunting segment are ruined by the nonstop barrage of QTE's!

QTE's serve zero purpose in games... They don't make the game experience anymore fun, challenging, or immersive, the content they cover is best left to in-game cutscenes.
The Last of Us 1 being so popular was the worst thing that happened to gaming in the last decade.

The Last of Us 1 being so popular was the worst thing that happened to gaming in the last decade.

The zombies in this run-of-the-mill story could have been swapped for basicallly any other infectious, apocalypse-triggering antagonist and still make complete sense.

Vampires? Check. Werewolves? Check. A deadly virus? Check. Chemical warfare? Check. Nuclear holocaust that radiates the entire planet? Check.

Joel is a dumbass, backwoods redneck and Ellie is extremely annoying as his surrogate daughter... The only slightly interesting character in the entire game was David, who reminded me of Jack Baker in RE7.

I watched the first few episodes of the TV show and everyone is much uglier than in the game; the actress who plays Ellie looks like she has down syndrome.

Elttharion

Learned

The zombies in this run-of-the-mill story could have been swapped for basicallly any other infectious, apocalypse-triggering antagonist and still make complete sense.

Vampires? Check. Werewolves? Check. A deadly virus? Check. Chemical warfare? Check. Nuclear holocaust that radiates the entire planet? Check.

Joel is a dumbass, backwoods redneck and Ellie is extremely annoying as his surrogate daughter... The only slightly interesting character in the entire game was David, who reminded me of Jack Baker in RE7.

I watched the first few episodes of the TV show and everyone is much uglier than in the game; the actress who plays Ellie looks like she has down syndrome.
The entire game is retarded. The motivation for the journey is to take the kid to a hospital in the middle of nowhere so that they can butcher her and create a vaccine. Except that you cant create a vaccine to protect against a fungus, at least we cant with our current medical knowledge. Thats a huge plot hole and imo proves that they didnt really care while building the backstory of the game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The entire game is retarded. The motivation for the journey is to take the kid to a hospital in the middle of nowhere so that they can butcher her and create a vaccine. Except that you cant create a vaccine to protect against a fungus, at least we cant with our current medical knowledge. Thats a huge plot hole and imo proves that they didnt really care while building the backstory of the game.
I got the impression that's part of the narrative. The "scientists" have no idea what they are doing, they are working out of some kind of hunch or belief, but really don't have the technical expertise to actually follow through. In the original game, you could find a tape recorder of one of the doctors at the hospital, where he kinda admits that (from what I remember). Think it adds to the nihilism of the game, and just proves Joel was right to kill those idiots at the end. However, the second game shat all over that.

9ted6

Educated

Like most AAA releases there's not a single quality to it but mainstream audiences and redditors gobble it up. I guess the music's ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom