Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last of Us Part 1 - next-gen remake out now on PS5/PC

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Visually pretty impressive, particularly the facial animations and lighting. PC version is meant to be coming "very soon", vague as that is. Wonder if it'll have proper/"full" DualSense support on PC too.

Never played it, despite housemate having an old PS4 copy lying around somewhere. Glad I waited, though probably going to be waiting a bit longer at that price tag.
:hmmm:

I honestly can't for the life of me understand how basic blocking and composition can be fucked up this badly. Naughty Dog is usually pretty great at level design for cinematic framing, and they're working from a previous game, so what gives? The Last of Us Part 1 looks bad.
FbhytklXgAEBmt4

Fbhy-VBWQAEULLp

FbhzATRWAAAzjVn

FbhzB9BXgAILo-d

Getting the impression the game industry is now at the "no one knows how to build pyramids anymore" stage of decline.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Getting the impression the game industry is now at the "no one knows how to build pyramids anymore" stage of decline.

That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? (Decline narratives generally are, but this is far from a visual disaster.) I readily admitted not playing the original, but to the point: complaint 2 is more than fair, particularly the absent mountains, and 3 is so-so; the first one is just a shifted framing, and the last complaint is just silly.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised I disagree, I find this guy's art rather ick. Anyway, I stand by my point about the character models, and in particular their faces -- they are dramatically improved.

xHAjjrC.png

Tell me this isn't an improvement. One looks like an actual human child, the other bordering on alien.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tell me this isn't an improvement. One looks like an actual human child, the other bordering on alien.
The first is stylized, the second tries to be more nearly realistic and desaturates the colors, presumably to appeal European tastes (agenda acknowledged). Appeals to different preferences, not necessarily an improvement.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

RrHWnNg.gif

meanwhile on certain forum
805d2b84570aaeb51eb7a1ec938bb6b0.jpg

People reports about broken boxes with the game.
Best reason to go full digital according to Sony.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Who gives a shit. Stop giving the wokies attention. The time for legally ending them will come. Be patient.

DemonKing

Arcane
I got a cheap copy using some store loyalty points and there's definitely not enough there to justify the price point it launched at unless you've never played it on PS3/4. The dualsense implementation and 3D sound via headphones are ok but not enough to justify the launch price.

If it had launched at the same price as the Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy remaster it would be decent value.

WaterDrinker

Stop obsessing over attractive females you misogynistic pigs! Big girls and weathered masculine women are JUST as beautiful! Especially if they have a swinging dick!

DemonKing

Arcane
So I finished the "remake" and decided to play Part II again while the characters/story was still fresh in my mind and it's inconceivable to me that they were too lazy to implement some of the stuff they put into Part II like dodging and going prone into the remake. Part I is literally just the same thing as the original with a slightly shinier coat of paint.

I guess the RE2 remake spoiled me with regards to expectations of what a remake should be.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I readily admitted not playing the original, but to the point: complaint 2 is more than fair, particularly the absent mountains, and 3 is so-so; the first one is just a shifted framing, and the last complaint is just silly.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised I disagree, I find this guy's art rather ick. Anyway, I stand by my point about the character models, and in particular their faces -- they are dramatically improved.

xHAjjrC.png

I can see improvement on certain areas after checking gameplay on the web, characters that left a body of water change their visual accordingly and with realism (hair, clothes and guns get wet, there's water dropping on the ground), her or Joel's hair (+ his mustache and beard) got beautiful if you ask me, accessories of the characters have realistic physics (backpacks), horses got an improvement in their visuals.

BUT other enhancements (more like "enhancements"), were doubful decisions. Why the hell the developers had to drastically change the color palette / ambient colors? WHY they ruined the design of some characters, instead of keeping them faithful to the previous generation?

Since when making Ellie's eyes more separate from each other, or her new chin are objectively better than how she looked like previously, for example?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Since when making Ellie's eyes more separate from each other, or her new chin are objectively better than how she looked like previously, for example?

Don't really have an issue with the rest of what you said, and admittedly I don't have a connection to the game to be irate by changes, but imo the PS4 pro image there hits the uncanny valley for me, whereas the newer iteration doesn't.

Duraframe300

Arcane
meh, I didn't care much for this, Jack and Daxter is more my Naughty Dog jam
Yup.

I personally also like Uncharted, because it was a fun, indy like romp. Then Last of Us 1 and Uncharted 4 happened, containing some of the most pretentious, boring drama ever.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Had people nagging me to play it for nearly a decade now, so waiting a few weeks extra is nbd. Little scared I’ll expect too much of it after such a build-up.

Thanks for posting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom