Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Ventidius

Arbiter
The Brave Orders definitely have their pros and cons. Can't say it has made the game less enjoyable for me overall (then again, I'm not that deep into Nightmare and I have never have had much of a problem with puzzle-like elements in my RPGs), and I sort of like that Falcom is experimenting around with the systems. However, I'd still say CS2's system with Overdrive was definitely better designed, generally speaking, if on some occasions less fun (using some of the orders from some characters that you get for a limited time can be a blast).

I'm probably not as interested in seeing the Orders system return as much as checking out what they come up with next. As I said, I like that Falcom experiments and it's frankly quite remarkable that, despite that, none of the games feel busted. Very few RPG devs do turn-based as well as these guys.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Some of the fights in CS4 have a very interesting 'counter' to the order system, but I won't go into details to spoil it. It seems that Falcom was aware that some of the orders make stuff to easy (one of the remote orders gives you like 80% damage reduction for 10 turns :| ).

I played first Trails a little bit, 3h or so - doing side quests around Ruan. Unfortunately, the game fails to deliver me the warm and cozy feeling I felt in Cold Steel :( Almost every aspect is worse, and I remember why I didn't bother to finish it. Probably will still push through, as I remember you guys saying that it only gets better, but still. Combat is worse and less fun, environments are more boring, pacing is atrocious, characters are boring (now that you don't even have Olivier or Shera with you), I don't like Estelle, I much prefer the Master Quartz system, the world is much less immersive in 2D, and I can keep going on. Eh, my fault of not forcing myself to play games in proper order I guess.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I tried getting into Trails in the Sky years ago - before I even tried CS1 IIRC - and couldn't get into it. I guess owing to same things people usually cite (slow pacing and whatnot). I picked it up again intermittently while I finished CS2 and CS3, making it past Josette (furthest I have gotten into it), but it still hasn't really pulled me in. I decided to do a new Nightmare playthrough of CS3 instead, and I get the feeling I'll end up doing the same with CS1, CS2, and doing a first playthrough of Zero (Crossbell seems far more enticing than Liberl) before I really try to get into it. Either way, since I'm already invested in the franchise, I might well get around doing it at some point.

My experience with Trails in the Sky is pretty much the diametric opposite of how it was with ToCS. The latter hooked me pretty much immediately (it was during the late midgame/endgame that the pacing issues surfaced for me), so I don't really get people complaining about the slow start. The funny thing is, I actually like Estelle. I like her more than I initially liked Rean, since she gives me strong Yunica (best Falcom protagonist) vibes. It's pretty much everything else (areas, combat, the rest of the cast, setting, atmosphere, etc) about the start that I found more engaging in ToCS.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
similar to Estelle in first Trails
lysqvzc8qxa31.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
Well, just finished Cold Steel III. Holy fucking shit, that's gotta be the best ending in the series for me.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i don't get why CS 3 and 4 (haven't played 4 yet tho) are getting so much hate.

character wise, Rean is much better character than he was in 1 and 2. more mature, capable, but also still somewhat insecure.

new class 7 is waay better than old one. the old ones got developed slightly more, but not much. real problem is character bloat, but in the end due to being more compact, new class 7 has more well-rounded development.

my beef with 3 was how formulaic is it, and pretty much every time rean is in a pinch his old friend was there to save the day. gameplay wise, i really like the brave order and dual master core (broken as it is)

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Okay, I finished the prologue of Trails SC.

Further thoughts:

- Only 4 hours and most of it was dialogue. Hurray :D!

- I'm really hooked by the story crumps that were tossed at me. The Ouroborosorganisation seem to be like SPECTRE from the old James Bond movies, only that you can take them seriously. Curious how this will continue.

- On the other hand, the game has nine (ten including the prologue) chapters, so can I expect to play 100 hours on this? It took me 50 to beat FC, but mostly because I also took the time to grind and had to relearn the game after a pause of seven months.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Woof, okay. Then this will be a looong ride. I'm so glad they split it in two parts, otherwise I would've died of hunger and exhaustion playing this behemoth :D (or just get bored, which is more realistic, but less fun to write).

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
to all who might care
https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/01/29/azure-editing-finished-test-underway-other-geofront-news/
azure-2nd-pass-main.jpg

I’m proud to announce the Geofront’s Trails to Azure localization has officially completed its second editing pass. This update will be meatier than usual, as I’d like to give you all a behind-the-scenes look at what the process was like, the challenges that remain, and even address broader Geofront topics such as Trails from Zero’s final update and the future of Crossbell.

When we last updated five months ago, I didn’t expect the second pass to take nearly as long as it did, though I did still manage to outpace the first pass…by a whole 24 hours. The way the process worked was, I was responsible for proofreading and often rewriting each of the game’s 72,100 text boxes in the scenario. I can now say I’ve successfully either written or approved every single line of dialog in the game.

Granted, while the percentage you all have been following was entirely my progress, I was not working alone. I was fortunate enough to have Arvin and Addaberry rewrite several files before I could double pass them, as well as have them spell and grammar check the files I was done with. There have also been numerous translation checks and fixes done by our lead translator, Catasplurge.

azure-second-pass-done-2.jpg

Somewhere around the 80 percent mark, I changed methods. From there, I began internal testing by playing the game from scratch, marking off the final 20 or so percent as I went. This allowed me to write and make corrections with much-needed context and, more importantly, invite external testers despite the second pass not being over yet. External testing for Azure began on January 1st. At that time, we were at the 87 percent mark. I was able to stay ahead of the testers’ pace all the way through, so no sections they’ve played have fallen outside the scope of the second pass.

Sadly, there’s no rest for the weary. Next for me is inserting the hundreds of chest messages that will make it into the release out of the over 2,000 combined submissions that remain eligible from Zero and have been sent for Azure. I think we have a lot of good ones and a few surprises that will delight longtime Trails fans. Once I’m done with the chests, I’ll be doing a quick review of Addaberry’s non-scenario text. I have many busy weeks still ahead of me.

Speaking of the upcoming weeks, they’re sure to be filled with more testing and debugging. As the lead editor, it is difficult to impart how important this process is. I’d like to think I keep my finger on the pulse of our community to the best of my ability, and if I had to speak frankly, it’s disappointing that so few people understand how much of what the Geofront does is on a programming level. It’s easy for us to provide updates to all of you by using the editing progress because it’s a tangible thing that can be measured and easily understood. But behind the progress myself and the editors have made is a deluge of programming work done by Jose and Ribose.

azure-2nd-pass-2.jpg

Like I said in the last update, making the mod work has not been a “drag and drop” process. The truth is, even if we had not elected to do a second editing pass of the game’s scenario, there was simply no way the patch could have been released last August—not if people want a complete and functional experience like Trails from Zero is. There have been times in the last several months where actually playing our Azure has been a painful experience due to some irritating bugs and how woefully incomplete it’s been.

Slowly getting Azure to Zero’s level of quality has been incredibly trying for our programmers, and I couldn’t be more sorry for what we’ve put them through in such a short amount of time. We are, however, getting there. Every week, Azure looks more and plays more like the game we envisioned. For that, Jose and Ribose deserve a round of applause.

However, they’re not the only ones that deserve it. Our graphics maestro, Sorcerian, has also been working overtime to localize many of the game’s images and textures. Not only will Azure include all of the localized textures from Zero, but many more that are new. Just like Zero, this also covers the numerous images that appear in locations such as the Detective Notebook and even minigames. This is an often-overlooked part of our localization process, but it plays an integral role in making the final product on the level of a licensed release.

azure-2nd-pass-4.jpg

As we learned last year, there’s no easy way for us to keep the community abreast of how testing is going. You may occasionally hear anecdotes from us about the process on Twitter or Discord, but officially, we’ll be remaining silent until we have a release date to share with all of you.

Speaking for the C Sector, our team had been striving to finish Azure before the end of winter, which would mean the middle of March at the latest—in other words when Zero came out last year. Is that set in stone? No. Things can change. However, we have been adamant about this goal for several months.

The reason for this is twofold. First and as a collective, we’d like to move on and begin writing the next chapter in our lives beyond the Crossbell games. For some, there are other plans and ambitions within the Geofront that we’d like to see materialize. For others, Azure may be the swan song with this team. Working on Zero and Azure endlessly is not what we want.

Second—and I figure this has been the unspoken understanding—we know the future of Crossbell in the west is in a precarious position right now. While no official localizations have been announced and may never be, the possibility became renewed with the release of Zero no Kiseki: Kai and Ao no Kiseki: Kai in Japan last year. We understand the risk we would be taking by delaying Azure any longer than we need to. My heart would break for my teammates if their hard work did not see the light of day. I would be devastated to see all I’ve sacrificed be for naught, as well. And so, the last 10 months of our lives have been nonstop work to see the Geofront’s Azure become a reality.

azure-2nd-pass-1-2.jpg

Regarding the Patching Process
Shifting gears to less enthusiastic topics, I have a couple of statements to make. First, a short one about Azure’s patching process.

When it’s time to release, we’ll have more details to share. As explained in our June update, we encourage everyone to buy a license from Joyoland, as we do not condone piracy. It was miraculous that Joyoland made purchasing the license with PayPal possible at all, and out of respect, I hope fans will do so. As far as DRM is concerned, please be aware that modding the game isn’t possible without the removal of the DRM, therefore, the Geofront’s method of patching Azure will be removing it. You do not have to worry about that. Once the release is set in stone, we will do everything we can to make acquiring the game and patching it as easy as possible. In the meantime, we hope people will show their support by legally owning the license and downloading the setup files if you can get your hands on them.

On the Foreign Steam Releases
Next, I would like to reiterate and make an official statement on our site that the Geofront will not be supporting the Asian PC ports of Zero and Ao that will be published on Steam by Clouded Leopard this year. While we understand why many fans would like us to, it will not be possible. Please understand that those new ports will be based on Zero: Kai and Ao: Kai and not the original PC ports done by Joyoland that the Geofront’s mods utilize. This is purely speculation as those versions have not been released, but it would likely take a herculean effort to insert all of the text, graphics, and quality-of-life features that our mod supports. In other words, from a programming perspective, we’d have to start from scratch all over again for what amounts to the same games on a more convenient platform.

Again, I understand from an ease-of-use perspective why people would want that convenience, but the investment is simply not worth the return for us. Collectively, the Geofront has spent the last four years crafting our versions of Zero and Azure based on the Joyoland ports. Our programmers have done remarkable work far above and beyond what anyone would expect them to accomplish without these games’ source codes. I believe the final products of each game will stand the test of time in terms of looks, features, and character. That is why, again, we’ll be closing the book on the Crossbell chapter of our lives with the release of Azure and not be looking to support any future ports of Zero and Ao.

Trails from Zero‘s Final Update
zero-final-update-0.png

Now, back to happier news. As teased in the first pass announcement, an update is coming for Trails from Zero. I should also apologize that it did not release before the end of 2020 as I had envisioned, but rest assured that it is coming. We’ll have a separate post to announce its release when the time comes and give more details about what’s different about it compared to the current version. In short, much of the text has been updated to reflect NIS America’s release of Trails of Cold Steel IV. However, there are also several unseen changes to the game that have to do with the mod and how the text itself is built and inserted. The backend of Zero’s text is on an entirely new platform than it used to be. Because of this, releasing Zero’s update hasn’t been as simple as saving the new files and pushing them out the door. We wanted time to have Zero tested, as well, to catch any mistakes that might have happened in this platform switch. This testing has gone well, and we should have good news to share with everyone soon.

From Zero to Azure
In conclusion, our long journey is nearly at an end. The coming months will be some of the most exciting of our lives as we write the final and greatest chapter in our odyssey to give the Crossbell games the love and care they deserve. I’m grateful we could have the support of so many people in the community, including the cooperation of the four original translators: Guren, Flame, Kitsune, and KOL. I’d also like to thank my teammates, as well as each of our friends, family, and loved ones, for supporting us this long.

The last 10 months have been a trial that we will never forget—both because of this project’s development and the way life as we know it has changed for every one of us around the world. I believe we will come out the other side of it stronger than ever before. At the Geofront, we believe no barrier is too tall to clear, and we look forward to exceeding your expectations yet again.

azure-2nd-pass-3.jpg

cruel

Cipher
This reminded me of Cold Steel 4 scene:

The-Legend-of-Heroes_Trails-of-Cold-Steel-IV-0.gif

Altina comment was great.

Edit: 12 days since I've finished CS4. Still feel empty. First TitS is not good enough unfortunately. I need Hajimari :(

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Is it just me or are the fights in TiTS (hehe) SC actually harder? I'm still playing on normal, but I get the feeling that especially the bosses are hitting harder than before. I'm not complaining, though, just curious :D.

SC is also better paced so far. I have finished three chapters and the story feels like it does progress, while in FC you were bumming around a lot, until you reached the end of the chapter.

Deleted member 7219

Is it just me or are the fights in TiTS (hehe) SC actually harder? I'm still playing on normal, but I get the feeling that especially the bosses are hitting harder than before. I'm not complaining, though, just curious :D.

SC is also better paced so far. I have finished three chapters and the story feels like it does progress, while in FC you were bumming around a lot, until you reached the end of the chapter.

Fights get progressively harder in each Trails sequel - SC, 3rd, Azure, TOCS 2, 3 and 4.

Arts are also much more powerful in SC onwards.

Deleted member 7219

Does that mean, that in 3rd I can expect my teeth to get kicked in?

Depends on the difficulty. Normal, no, as long as you think about quartz and give each party member a proper role.

Hard and Nightmare will be tough.

Deflowerer

Arcane
As someone who is still playing FC, I got the impression from someone that Cold Steel games are much easier.

Jinn

Arcane
As someone who is still playing FC, I got the impression from someone that Cold Steel games are much easier.

I think he means that the sequels in each subseries get harder. So while the Sky games as a whole are more difficult than the Cold Steel games, Cold Steel 1 is easier than Cold Steel 2, Cold Steel 2 is easier than Cold Steel 3, etc.

Don't worry. There's always a good challenge to be found in all the games if you're looking for it. Sky games are ball-bustingly difficult on Hard and above though.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Depends on the difficulty. Normal, no, as long as you think about quartz and give each party member a proper role.

Good to know. My group ist currently Schera, Olivier and Zin. Schera and Olivier are super useful, especially Olivier when he learns Eartharts. The guy can shoot, the guy can heal, what more do you want? Zin hits like a truck and Schera seems to be descend at anything. If I do a replay, I would keep this group on harder difficulties. Good idea or do any characters get useless on hard or nightmare? I can see that for Kloe, since she is a healer and supporter, but nothing more.

Oh an does the first chapter change in any way if you chose Agate instead of Schera at the beginning?

Deleted member 7219

Good to know. My group ist currently Schera, Olivier and Zin. Schera and Olivier are super useful, especially Olivier when he learns Eartharts. The guy can shoot, the guy can heal, what more do you want? Zin hits like a truck and Schera seems to be descend at anything. If I do a replay, I would keep this group on harder difficulties. Good idea or do any characters get useless on hard or nightmare? I can see that for Kloe, since she is a healer and supporter, but nothing more.

Oh an does the first chapter change in any way if you chose Agate instead of Schera at the beginning?

There are no C&Cs or alternate paths in Trails.

Some dialogue is different, but that’s all.

Duraframe300

Arcane

There are no C&Cs or alternate paths in Trails.

Some dialogue is different, but that’s all.

I'd say Agathe fits better, but yeah. Not a whole lot of difference.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Finished SC yesterday. It took me 70 hours, including sidequests.

Pro:

- The combat felt more varried and clever. You could especially see that with the bosses. Especially the last boss in his last form was a really big upgrade. I was honestly surprised how much harder and better his attacks got and I was very nervous about losing to him, because that bastard had so much HP and it took forever. Good stuff.

- Story was way better paced, the Enforcer gave us people you love to hate and even though the politics and characters got a bit more complex, the actual story stayed simple and understandable. I actually always know what was going on and why. This is how you do it.

- Thank god they kind of resolved the whole "Joshua and Estelle being siblings but in love thing" - in a healthy way.

- Favorite sidequest: teaching kids about Bracers at Sundayschool.

- Weissman is the perfect supervillain. That guy justhas so much fun being a maniac. I just loved how extra he was, when he played that organ. Mhmm, so extra^^.

Con:

- Okay, you can only miss 2 points, otherwise you won't become a Class-A-Bracer. This is bullcrap. Well, at least it motivated me to finish up earlier, since I saw that I missed a hidden quest, that would've gotten me 5 points.

- One boss was underwhelming, even though he was build up as this big, though mo-fo. Funny enough: he was also the one I always forgot, although he got so much screentime. But I was always like "Oh, right, you're here to."

This is definitely a new favorite, although you really should the first part too, otherwise the writing and story don't have the same impact. But now I have to play all the games, because this world is awesome :D. It shows that you don't have to reimagine everything, just fill the stuff and tropes you have with depth and think them through.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Finished SC yesterday. It took me 70 hours, including sidequests.

Pro:

- The combat felt more varried and clever. You could especially see that with the bosses. Especially the last boss in his last form was a really big upgrade. I was honestly surprised how much harder and better his attacks got and I was very nervous about losing to him, because that bastard had so much HP. Good stuff.

- Story was way better paced, the Enforcer gave us people you love to hate and even though the politics and characters got a bit more complex, the actual story stayed simple and understandable. I actually always know what was going on and why. This is how you do it.

- Thank good the kind of resolved the whole Joshua and Estelle being siblings but in love thing.

- Favorite sidequest: teaching kids about Bracers at Sundayschool.

- Weissman is the perfect supervillain. That guy just loves to be a maniac. I just loved how extra he was, when he played that organ. Mhmm, so extra^^.

Con:

- Okay, you can only miss 2 points, otherwise you won't become a Class-A-Bracer. This is bullcrap. Well, at least it motivated me to finish up earlier, since I saw that I missed a hidden quest, that would've gotten me 5 points. Still.

- One boss was underwhelming, even though he was build up as this big, though mo-fo. Funny enough: he was also the one I always forgot, although he got so much screentime. But I was always like "Oh, right, you're here to."

This is definitely a new favorite, although you really should the first part too, otherwise the writing and story don't have the same impact. But now I have to play all the games, because this world is awesome :D. It shows that you don't have to reimagine everything, just fill the stuff and tropes you have with depth and think it through.

The CS games reveal that quite a number of the snakes are musicians in their spare time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom