Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Crooked Bee, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Ventidius Savant

Ventidius
    The Brave Orders definitely have their pros and cons. Can't say it has made the game less enjoyable for me overall (then again, I'm not that deep into Nightmare and I have never have had much of a problem with puzzle-like elements in my RPGs), and I sort of like that Falcom is experimenting around with the systems. However, I'd still say CS2's system with Overdrive was definitely better designed, generally speaking, if on some occasions less fun (using some of the orders from some characters that you get for a limited time can be a blast).

I'm probably not as interested in seeing the Orders system return as much as checking out what they come up with next. As I said, I like that Falcom experiments and it's frankly quite remarkable that, despite that, none of the games feel busted. Very few RPG devs do turn-based as well as these guys.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. cruel Savant

cruel
    Some of the fights in CS4 have a very interesting 'counter' to the order system, but I won't go into details to spoil it. It seems that Falcom was aware that some of the orders make stuff to easy (one of the remote orders gives you like 80% damage reduction for 10 turns :| ).

I played first Trails a little bit, 3h or so - doing side quests around Ruan. Unfortunately, the game fails to deliver me the warm and cozy feeling I felt in Cold Steel :( Almost every aspect is worse, and I remember why I didn't bother to finish it. Probably will still push through, as I remember you guys saying that it only gets better, but still. Combat is worse and less fun, environments are more boring, pacing is atrocious, characters are boring (now that you don't even have Olivier or Shera with you), I don't like Estelle, I much prefer the Master Quartz system, the world is much less immersive in 2D, and I can keep going on. Eh, my fault of not forcing myself to play games in proper order I guess.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ventidius Savant

Ventidius
    I tried getting into Trails in the Sky years ago - before I even tried CS1 IIRC - and couldn't get into it. I guess owing to same things people usually cite (slow pacing and whatnot). I picked it up again intermittently while I finished CS2 and CS3, making it past Josette (furthest I have gotten into it), but it still hasn't really pulled me in. I decided to do a new Nightmare playthrough of CS3 instead, and I get the feeling I'll end up doing the same with CS1, CS2, and doing a first playthrough of Zero (Crossbell seems far more enticing than Liberl) before I really try to get into it. Either way, since I'm already invested in the franchise, I might well get around doing it at some point.

My experience with Trails in the Sky is pretty much the diametric opposite of how it was with ToCS. The latter hooked me pretty much immediately (it was during the late midgame/endgame that the pacing issues surfaced for me), so I don't really get people complaining about the slow start. The funny thing is, I actually like Estelle. I like her more than I initially liked Rean, since she gives me strong Yunica (best Falcom protagonist) vibes. It's pretty much everything else (areas, combat, the rest of the cast, setting, atmosphere, etc) about the start that I found more engaging in ToCS.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Well, just finished Cold Steel III. Holy fucking shit, that's gotta be the best ending in the series for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. NerevarineKing Educated

NerevarineKing
    The fact that they managed to beat the Trails FC and CS1 endings is pretty insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    i don't get why CS 3 and 4 (haven't played 4 yet tho) are getting so much hate.

character wise, Rean is much better character than he was in 1 and 2. more mature, capable, but also still somewhat insecure.

new class 7 is waay better than old one. the old ones got developed slightly more, but not much. real problem is character bloat, but in the end due to being more compact, new class 7 has more well-rounded development.

my beef with 3 was how formulaic is it, and pretty much every time rean is in a pinch his old friend was there to save the day. gameplay wise, i really like the brave order and dual master core (broken as it is)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Harry Easter Arbiter

Harry Easter
    Okay, I finished the prologue of Trails SC.

Further thoughts:

- Only 4 hours and most of it was dialogue. Hurray :D!

- I'm really hooked by the story crumps that were tossed at me. The Ouroborosorganisation seem to be like SPECTRE from the old James Bond movies, only that you can take them seriously. Curious how this will continue.

- On the other hand, the game has nine (ten including the prologue) chapters, so can I expect to play 100 hours on this? It took me 50 to beat FC, but mostly because I also took the time to grind and had to relearn the game after a pause of seven months.

^ Top  
  9. NerevarineKing Educated

NerevarineKing
    I play RPGs fairly slowly and Trails in the Sky SC took me almost 90 hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Harry Easter Arbiter

Harry Easter
    Woof, okay. Then this will be a looong ride. I'm so glad they split it in two parts, otherwise I would've died of hunger and exhaustion playing this behemoth :D (or just get bored, which is more realistic, but less fun to write).

^ Top  
  11. Ventidius Savant

Ventidius
    Never change, Japan. :lol:

Show Spoiler

• incline incline x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. normie Arcane Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    Insert Title Here
    to all who might care
    https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/01/29/azure-editing-finished-test-underway-other-geofront-news/
    Show Spoiler

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    Shirley molesting other women seems to be a running gag since at least Azure (aside from said gag being a cheesy anime stereotype).

^ Top  
  14. cruel Savant

cruel
    This reminded me of Cold Steel 4 scene:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Altina comment was great.

Edit: 12 days since I've finished CS4. Still feel empty. First TitS is not good enough unfortunately. I need Hajimari :(

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Harry Easter Arbiter

Harry Easter
    Is it just me or are the fights in TiTS (hehe) SC actually harder? I'm still playing on normal, but I get the feeling that especially the bosses are hitting harder than before. I'm not complaining, though, just curious :D.

SC is also better paced so far. I have finished three chapters and the story feels like it does progress, while in FC you were bumming around a lot, until you reached the end of the chapter.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Fights get progressively harder in each Trails sequel - SC, 3rd, Azure, TOCS 2, 3 and 4.

Arts are also much more powerful in SC onwards.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Harry Easter Arbiter

Harry Easter
    Does that mean, that in 3rd I can expect my teeth to get kicked in?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Depends on the difficulty. Normal, no, as long as you think about quartz and give each party member a proper role.

Hard and Nightmare will be tough.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    As someone who is still playing FC, I got the impression from someone that Cold Steel games are much easier.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I think he means that the sequels in each subseries get harder. So while the Sky games as a whole are more difficult than the Cold Steel games, Cold Steel 1 is easier than Cold Steel 2, Cold Steel 2 is easier than Cold Steel 3, etc.

Don't worry. There's always a good challenge to be found in all the games if you're looking for it. Sky games are ball-bustingly difficult on Hard and above though.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Harry Easter Arbiter

Harry Easter
    Good to know. My group ist currently Schera, Olivier and Zin. Schera and Olivier are super useful, especially Olivier when he learns Eartharts. The guy can shoot, the guy can heal, what more do you want? Zin hits like a truck and Schera seems to be descend at anything. If I do a replay, I would keep this group on harder difficulties. Good idea or do any characters get useless on hard or nightmare? I can see that for Kloe, since she is a healer and supporter, but nothing more.

Oh an does the first chapter change in any way if you chose Agate instead of Schera at the beginning?

^ Top  
  22. There are no C&Cs or alternate paths in Trails.

Some dialogue is different, but that’s all.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    I'd say Agathe fits better, but yeah. Not a whole lot of difference.

^ Top  
  24. Harry Easter Arbiter

Harry Easter
    Finished SC yesterday. It took me 70 hours, including sidequests.

Pro:

- The combat felt more varried and clever. You could especially see that with the bosses. Especially the last boss in his last form was a really big upgrade. I was honestly surprised how much harder and better his attacks got and I was very nervous about losing to him, because that bastard had so much HP and it took forever. Good stuff.

- Story was way better paced, the Enforcer gave us people you love to hate and even though the politics and characters got a bit more complex, the actual story stayed simple and understandable. I actually always know what was going on and why. This is how you do it.

- Thank god they kind of resolved the whole "Joshua and Estelle being siblings but in love thing" - in a healthy way.

- Favorite sidequest: teaching kids about Bracers at Sundayschool.

- Weissman is the perfect supervillain. That guy justhas so much fun being a maniac. I just loved how extra he was, when he played that organ. Mhmm, so extra^^.

Con:

- Okay, you can only miss 2 points, otherwise you won't become a Class-A-Bracer. This is bullcrap. Well, at least it motivated me to finish up earlier, since I saw that I missed a hidden quest, that would've gotten me 5 points.

- One boss was underwhelming, even though he was build up as this big, though mo-fo. Funny enough: he was also the one I always forgot, although he got so much screentime. But I was always like "Oh, right, you're here to."

This is definitely a new favorite, although you really should the first part too, otherwise the writing and story don't have the same impact. But now I have to play all the games, because this world is awesome :D. It shows that you don't have to reimagine everything, just fill the stuff and tropes you have with depth and think them through.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. Ysaye Savant

Ysaye
    The CS games reveal that quite a number of the snakes are musicians in their spare time.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.