Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I do. I mind it very much.
The combat would be fantastic if they had tuned Nightmare properly. As it stands, Nightmare is essentially what most other games in the series Normal/Hard was. They had all the elements there to ramp up the challenge mechanically and systemically, not just numerically, but they bungled it. All they had to do was tune the numbers properly. IT DRIVES ME NUTS.

Heard it's better in Kuro II though.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
While I don't really think a remake was necessary, I'm kind of excited to have a reason to revisit the Liberl arc with all the knowledge I now have built up about Zemuria. It'll be a lot of fun, and something tells me Trails 3rd will be getting a very special treatment when the time comes.
exactly why I wouldn't want Liberl remade, because they're going to rewrite it a little to fit the needlessly bombastic post-Azure canon

newtmonkey

Arcane
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II (PC Engine)
dsed2.jpg

I completed this earlier today, and it ended up being a pretty decent game! Chapter 1 is a major grindfest, but once you get over that hump it's smooth sailing to the end with no need to grind whatsoever.

The biggest change from the first game is how magic works. Instead of the standard Magic Point system from the first game, each character now has seven spell slots. You can assign any spell you want to any slot (even the same spell to multiple slots), and you "learn" spells by purchasing spell books, which can be used an unlimited number of times. Once you cast a spell once, that slot is exhausted but slowly refills over time, with more powerful spells taking longer to recharge. It's a cool system that lets you customize your spell loadout for specific situations. However, I found attack magic to be mostly worthless as it doesn't really do much damage, and being restricted to just seven spells in between slots recharging combined with how frequent combat is, means you can't cast spells very often. I stuck with a mix of Heal and Silence spells for all characters, and then would swap in some Attack+ and Defense+ spells for bosses, and that got me through the game without any issue.

Combat is a major downside. It's too frequent and too easy/simple (after Chapter 1), and enemies are massive damage sponges. Many enemies also have devastating magic attacks, so your strategy for every battle quickly becomes to cast Silence (which works 100% of the time, even on bosses) for your first action, and then to simply attack until the enemy is dead.

There are some cool things making up for that, though. There's a fun twist at the end of Chapter 1 where you discover a Zork-esque underground empire, and it's here where most of the rest of the game takes place. The story ended up being surprisingly interesting, especially compared with the somewhat dull previous game, with fun companions and NPCs, and some cool twists and turns along the way (including a big twist toward the end that brings to mind Might & Magic: Book One). Finally, I must mention how the enemies are actually quite unique, each with their own special abilities and attacks. Some enemies even have fun little quirks, like one endgame monster that wags its tail and smiles whenever it lands a critical hit on you.

Overall, a pretty good game (excepting the awful grindfest that is Chapter 1). I'm definitely looking forward to playing The Legend of Heroes III, though I know it's the start of a new trilogy that has nothing to do with this game.

Last edited:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
exactly why I wouldn't want Liberl remade, because they're going to rewrite it a little to fit the needlessly bombastic post-Azure canon
I know you don't like Cold Steel, but
the Flame Palace in CS II and the Salt Spires rising in CS IV aren't any more bombastic than an ancient technological city rising over Liberal in SC, not to mention what happens in the Recluse Cube in 3rd.

You like to romanticize the "slice of life"-ness of the Sky trilogy, but it's really not that different in essence from what comes later. They don't have to rewrite much at all to fit the established history of Zemuria, and I doubt they will.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I try to avoid spoilerinos while teetering on the knife's edge constantly (and I'm closer to said edge than you might think), but I saw Kai's English release title on the Kiseki wiki today by an unfortunate accident and... are you serious?

:lol:
Are they straight-up killing us?
After jamming European, Oriental and Arabic cultures into a single continent, spanning multiple technological settings (steampunk, traditional fantasy, mild-futuristic), this is it? Is this a world expansion or the absolute end? Who the fuck chose that AWFUL title, is it the same retard who advises them to let players know when they're playing the FINAL CHAPTER in each game?

There is no way Kai will be the end. Kondo has already lied to us twice, first saying that Cold Steel 3 would be the last CS game and that Trails was 70% finished at that point, and then with the Grandmaster advertising for Hajimari. Furthermore, it is in Falcom's interest to continue dragging out Trails. The entire reason why Falcom survived the transition to 3D HD which killed off almost every other JRPG dev or forced them into making mobile games is because Falcom figured out how to minimize costs (by reusing assets, keeping a max dev team size of 50-60, and pushing a game out the door every year regardless of whether or not it is finished) and the maximize profits (by creating a long running continuity so that diehard fans will evangelize to their friends, and if someone gets into the franchise then they buy up $600+ of Trails games to get caught up). Actually finishing Trails and having to build up a new franchise from scratch would be too risky.

Kondo has said in interviews that he would like to see Trails finished before he retires, and has thrown out "late 2020s" or 2030s as when he would like that to happen, but regardless I doubt he would leave the company hanging without a replacement franchise to keep them afloat.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
by creating a long running continuity so that diehard fans will evangelize to their friends, and if someone gets into the franchise then they buy up $600+ of Trails games to get caught up

I don't think this is a financial strategy so to speak, the games are split into 4 series now, and each one is also standalone and represents around ~100 hours of content. There is repetition in visual assets, but the quality is there. Don't take this to mean I don't have concerns after what I've seen in Daybreak, but while I play Daybreak, I don't see much of Cold Steel in it past the visuals and story (wish I did).

Actually finishing Trails and having to build up a new franchise from scratch would be too risky.

We don't always agree on lore progression matters, but I think we can both agree this would be suicide for Falcom.

They've even gone as far as to spend money to put up Rean posters in Tokyo (for those not in the know, advertising in Tokyo means spending exorbitant amounts of money).

That all being said... it's obvious there is some sort of venomous infestation in Falcom, I don't know if it's Kondo himself or some of the western liaisons/marketing. The logic behind choosing that specific name for Kai, as well as the implications for fans are monumentally, unfathomably stupid.

Endemic

Arcane
There is no way Kai will be the end. Kondo has already lied to us twice, first saying that Cold Steel 3 would be the last CS game and that Trails was 70% finished at that point, and then with the Grandmaster advertising for Hajimari. Furthermore, it is in Falcom's interest to continue dragging out Trails.

Yes, but that's also a result of Falcom putting all their eggs in the Trails basket to begin with. Ys still exists, but that series goes longer between releases (about 3 years). The last Xanadu entry seemed like a Trails asset flip and then it was abandoned.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I barely remember anything about Tokyo Xanadu, like at all. I remember i enjoyed it, but apparently not enough to remember all that much about it. I remember bits and pieces of it and how it had a Towa lookalike.

I found the characters to be pleasant but was disappointed by how it wasted the premise of the supernatural world. You would think it would explore all of these secret societies on Earth as well as the otherworld and its fantastical inhabitants, but instead the game was just generic high school slice of life and running through corridor levels destroying random monsters with no story behind them. Good soundtrack.

I remember it mostly because it was the first game I played on a new gaming rig and it kept locking up. Not the game's fault; the motherboard had some kind of compatibility issue with the video card, which I resolved with a firmware update.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So this has been bothering me for a while in the back of my mind, but what's happened to the expanded universe character details, retelling of experienced story, fluff in the bestiary and cool novellas (all I've seen is newspapers even though the tab mentions books explicitly)? Even the lore in the 'Archive' seems cut down.
Have I missed something, my friends Lyre Mors and Val the Moofia Boss?

dsad.png

Lyre Mors

Arcane
So this has been bothering me for a while in the back of my mind, but what's happened to the expanded universe character details, retelling of experienced story, fluff in the bestiary and cool novellas (all I've seen is newspapers even though the tab mentions books explicitly)? Even the lore in the 'Archive' seems cut down.
Have I missed something,
Nope, it's definitely cut down. I took note of it near the beginning, but it honestly doesn't bother me all that much that our only "books" in Daybreak are newspapers, movies, and movie pamphlets. I love expanded lore/fluff, but there's so much fucking text in these games as it is, I guess at this point in the series I don't mind there isn't even more that I don't have to experience FOMO with.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
kai no kiseki got 32/40 from famitsu

1727345407461.png

1727344899133.png

:hahyou:

Attachments

• 1727345292672.png
    1727345292672.png
    86 KB · Views: 27

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm gonna have a long diatribe/rant at some point later, but I think this disgusting, manufactured line perfectly encapsulates the essence of what has happened to my favorite series.

image.png

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I'm gonna have a long diatribe/rant at some point later, but I think this disgusting, manufactured line perfectly encapsulates the essence of what has happened to my favorite series.
The solution is fairly simple: start using the fan translations instead of NISA's if it bothers you that much. I find the zoomerisms being added in here and there annoying too, but not to the point where it's anywhere near to ruining the game for me. It is, however, to the point where I won't be waiting for an official translation if I feel like going ahead and playing the next game in the series. Honestly though, I need a decent cooldown period between playing these games, so the wait has become just about perfect at this point.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The solution is fairly simple: start using the fan translations instead of NISA's if it bothers you that much. I find the zoomerisms being added in here and there annoying too, but not to the point where it's anywhere near to ruining the game for me. It is, however, to the point where I won't be waiting for an official translation if I feel like going ahead and playing the next game in the series. Honestly though, I need a decent cooldown period between playing these games, so the wait has become just about perfect at this point.

Val the Moofia Boss's post is correct at this point.

And we both know it's not just the 'zoomerisms'.

You know I want to love it. But I can't.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm almost 100 hours into Daybreak, having spoken to every NPC, and having done multiple things twice.

image.png

I've spent a lot of money on this franchise. I've loved it more than 162 pages of this thread can fathom.

My thoughts will rush out unfiltered, like a torrent.

cruel

Prophet
I've finished playing Zero some time ago, continuing my out-of-order journey through Trails (Cold Steel -> Sky -> Crossbell). I'm actually surprised how much I liked this game, especially after reading so many complaints about the game being boring - it was not boring for me at all, very cozy, not annoying in any way. Sure, the cast in CS was better, but this is very minor. Another perfect game to play on Deck before going to sleep. I will play Azure next.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've finished playing Zero some time ago, continuing my out-of-order journey through Trails (Cold Steel -> Sky -> Crossbell). I'm actually surprised how much I liked this game, especially after reading so many complaints about the game being boring - it was not boring for me at all, very cozy, not annoying in any way. Sure, the cast in CS was better, but this is very minor. Another perfect game to play on Deck before going to sleep. I will play Azure next.
For me i played Sky 1-3 followed by CS 1-4 and Reverie before jumping into Zero now. I'm digging it as well and don't find it boring. It's nice going through Crossbell in classic isometric and seeing the familiar sights i saw in 3d in CS and Reverie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom