Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The moment Trails into Reverie truly begins.

20240804195731-1.jpg

I've been enjoying the game thus far, the three separate and interconnecting stories are pretty nice. "C" is my fave protag of the bunch.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Speaking of "C", i hope there's no disturbing implications with him running around with a bunch of kids, especially since one of them is already a molestation victim.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Speaking of "C", i hope there's no disturbing implications with him running around with a bunch of kids, especially since one of them is already a molestation victim.

I also can't but help think of a certain current English prince when it comes to "C" and the latest images of him with his bunch of underage girls in Farewell Zemuria do little to reduce that....

newtmonkey

Arcane
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II (PC Engine)
I really liked what I've played of LoH VI (aka Sora no Kiseki aka Trails in the Sky), so I decided to go back and play the series in order. I completed DS:TLoH last year, and while I didn't care much for it, it was charming enough for me to finish it.

TLoHII starts out with a great first impression. The main character is the son of the hero of the first game, and the game takes place in the same world and pretty much uses all the same maps. During Chapter 0, you are sent all over the world to deliver letters from your father to the rulers of other lands, which is basically just an excuse for you to check up on what's happened since the previous game, and to visit all the locations so you can then warp to them using your "Warp Wing."

Once you hit Chapter 1, though, the game becomes an unbelievable grind. The first game, too, was very grindy during the first two chapters (it literally had level requirements for plot flags), but combat was quick and levels came quickly. TLoHII is not so kind. Everything is tied to your level. When you enter a new area, you are either at the required minimum level, and can somewhat comfortably progress, or you are below that level and your attacks are reduced to inflicting a single point of damage (!) to regular enemies. This is true for the bosses at the end of each chapter, too.

What's worse is that the game is ridiculously stingy with EXP and gold. By the time you reach Chapter 1, you will be around level 5, and gaining even a single level requires winning 20-30 battles. Buying even a single upgrade for your equipment can take 5-10 battles. It's so bad, that I figured there must be something wrong. Maybe the game expects you to rely on spells early on? Nope. The only solution is to grind, grind, grind.

I've completed dozens of RPGs, both on PC and console, and can count the number that have actually required grinding just to make progress on one hand: Dragon Warrior (NES) and Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (PC Engine). Now I can add one more, and it is by far the worst example of forced grinding I've yet to experience.

However, I've read that the game eases up a bit once you reach Chapter 2, and I just cleared Chapter 1 earlier today, so I'll stick with it. I'd really like to get this one over with so I can play TLoH III (Shiroki Majo aka White Witch).

dutchwench

Novice
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II (PC Engine)
I really liked what I've played of LoH VI (aka Sora no Kiseki aka Trails in the Sky), so I decided to go back and play the series in order. I completed DS:TLoH last year, and while I didn't care much for it, it was charming enough for me to finish it.

TLoHII starts out with a great first impression. The main character is the son of the hero of the first game, and the game takes place in the same world and pretty much uses all the same maps. During Chapter 0, you are sent all over the world to deliver letters from your father to the rulers of other lands, which is basically just an excuse for you to check up on what's happened since the previous game, and to visit all the locations so you can then warp to them using your "Warp Wing."

Once you hit Chapter 1, though, the game becomes an unbelievable grind. The first game, too, was very grindy during the first two chapters (it literally had level requirements for plot flags), but combat was quick and levels came quickly. TLoHII is not so kind. Everything is tied to your level. When you enter a new area, you are either at the required minimum level, and can somewhat comfortably progress, or you are below that level and your attacks are reduced to inflicting a single point of damage (!) to regular enemies. This is true for the bosses at the end of each chapter, too.

What's worse is that the game is ridiculously stingy with EXP and gold. By the time you reach Chapter 1, you will be around level 5, and gaining even a single level requires winning 20-30 battles. Buying even a single upgrade for your equipment can take 5-10 battles. It's so bad, that I figured there must be something wrong. Maybe the game expects you to rely on spells early on? Nope. The only solution is to grind, grind, grind.

I've completed dozens of RPGs, both on PC and console, and can count the number that have actually required grinding just to make progress on one hand: Dragon Warrior (NES) and Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (PC Engine). Now I can add one more, and it is by far the worst example of forced grinding I've yet to experience.

However, I've read that the game eases up a bit once you reach Chapter 2, and I just cleared Chapter 1 earlier today, so I'll stick with it. I'd really like to get this one over with so I can play TLoH III (Shiroki Majo aka White Witch).
A Japanese playthrough I just checked out had the player hitting level 17 and 20k gold in Chapter 1. Time to start grinding...

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Can you play Kuro without finishing Cold Steel first? Will I miss anything? I'm still stuck on CS3, which I started a year ago, I don't think I will make it

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Really nice overview and introduction to Legend of Heroes I - Dragonslayer

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Can you play Kuro without finishing Cold Steel first? Will I miss anything? I'm still stuck on CS3, which I started a year ago, I don't think I will make i
You know the answer to this already, but I'll bite anyway: the events of CSIV and Reverie are heavily referenced in Daybreak and have rather large, far-reaching implications overall.You can certainly start Daybreak without playing them, but you'll be missing some things. If you can't make it through CSIV and Reverie (great games, imo), then read as detailed a synopsis as you can before hand or be prepared to be missing some fairly vital character and world-building context. Or just do that with CSIII - which I agree is a weaker entry in the series - and try to play the other two games.

spookyheart

Novice
I bought this game from a pawn shop ages ago when i was just getting into the series after playing the crossbell arc the games are eh aight imo.

spookyheart

Novice
Help me, I have a primal want -nay, need- to eliminate the localizers, slowly and painfully...

fxdgv.png
big fucking yikes, i already posted this on varris a while ago and falcom really needs to invest in ai translation in house immediatly its just manipulation and exploitation all these lolcowlizer companies like nis and xseed do.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
question is fine since it is neither male or female, pretty much man made angel without gender
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Elttharion

Learned
In a non clown world the question would be 'are you a boy or a girl/are you a man or a woman'. Whats the original text?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In a non clown world the question would be 'are you a boy or a girl/are you a man or a woman'. Whats the original text?

I'm not sure anyone legitimately knows, but the line wasn't received well at all by other players on Falcom-related channels either.
Val the Moofia Boss might have more info, he hangs around on the Steam forums.

I have a big collection of thoughts and things I've noted from this game's text, to be posted way later when I'm done with it.
I'm starting to despise the general 'bantz' atmosphere of the translation in general, I want to be immersed in the world, not be reading Codex-type posts in my favorite game series. Slang and internet lingo once in a while is fine, but you've gotta draw the line somewhere. Sadly, it feels the line was already annihilated and shat all over on, post-Reverie.

dsd.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom