Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Oh for FFS Nintendo.

ShutUpAndTakeMyRupees.jpg

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I've never played a 3D Zelda. Love Links Awakening, Link to the Past, and Zelda 2. As a monocled individual who values gameplay most of all, which 3D Zelda should I play, if any? Maybe there is another 2D one worth playing also?

Avellion

Erudite
I've never played a 3D Zelda. Love Links Awakening, Link to the Past, and Zelda 2. As a monocled individual who values gameplay most of all, which 3D Zelda should I play, if any? Maybe there is another 2D one worth playing also?
Any 3D Zelda will do, provided that it is not Toilet Paper (Huge, empty lifeless worlds) or Skyward Warfare.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
A Link Between Two Worlds is a great 2D Zelda.

Ocarina of Time has some of the best dungeon design outside pure RPGs. Simplistic bosses, but some amazing room puzzles.

Haven't played Majora's Mask, but I'll definitely grab it for the 3DS when it comes.

Windwaker has fantastic music, but is inferior to for instance Ocarina of Time in every other way possible.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I loved the sailing part of Wind Waker. Finding and exploring all those little random islands was so much fun. It's my personal favorite Zelda game.

DragoFireheart

Any 3D Zelda will do, provided that it is not Toilet Paper (Huge, empty lifeless worlds) or Skyward Warfare.

Toilet Paper has some of the best dungeons. It's not nearly as bad as Skyward Sword, aka Backtrackward Sword.

Wasted opportunity. Should be a skullkid amiibo.

Edit: Makes me wish i was good at painting models. I'm sure you could repaint a Link amiibo with fierce diety colors and make a nice profit.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

The dungeons in Toilet Paper were great, problem was the shit inbetween. Especially those obligatory fishing sections.

The Tears of Light hunting was lame but thankfully short lived. The fishing sections weren't nearly as bad as your context suggests. I don't think these flaws take away from the overall experience enough to make it bad.

Compare with SS back tracking. Utterly crappy, especially going back to the first dungeon with almost no changes or additions. And a filler boss. Fuck.

Avellion

Erudite
The Tears of Light hunting was lame but thankfully short lived. The fishing sections weren't nearly as bad as your context suggests. I don't think these flaws take away from the overall experience enough to make it bad.

Compare with SS back tracking. Utterly crappy, especially going back to the first dungeon with almost no changes or additions. And a filler boss. Fuck.
I think I spent an hour trying to catch the fucking fish I needed for a main quest. Maybe I was just really bad at fishing, but that experience alone does not make me want to return.

Another personal gripe I have with it is the pieces of hearts in chests in dungeons. Open chest, expecting maybe a key or something. Ends up getting a piece of heart completing a heart container->Reload. Of all my gripes of that game though, I will regardless say, I like all the instant kills they added. None of them felt out of place, save for that fire on the bridge that looks like something epona could jump over, but couldnt for some reason. But the rest felt logical. If Zoras are weak to extreme temperatures, they really would have no chance in hell of surviving lava.

DragoFireheart

I think I spent an hour trying to catch the fucking fish I needed for a main quest. Maybe I was just really bad at fishing, but that experience alone does not make me want to return.

Really?

Another personal gripe I have with it is the pieces of hearts in chests in dungeons. Open chest, expecting maybe a key or something. Ends up getting a piece of heart completing a heart container->Reload. Of all my gripes of that game though, I will regardless say, I like all the instant kills they added. None of them felt out of place, save for that fire on the bridge that looks like something epona could jump over, but couldnt for some reason. But the rest felt logical. If Zoras are weak to extreme temperatures, they really would have no chance in hell of surviving lava.

Hahahah I forgot about people trying to do a 3 heart run. Yeah I can understand how it would piss those people off.

Avellion

Erudite
Really?

Hahahah I forgot about people trying to do a 3 heart run. Yeah I can understand how it would piss those people off.

I cannot remember for sure, but I remember spending more time than I wanted to fishing. I was using the Wii Version which had really awkward fishing controls iirc. If I were to go back, I would definately use the gamecube version next time. If only for the epona backflip move.

I think it was a good idea to place pieces of hearts in dungeons, they should just have not put them in chests however.

Caim

Arcane
Let's have a look:

- OoT has good gameplay with interesting dungeons, but combat is way easy. Character moments are there but don't take up a lot of time. There is some plot related bullshit you have to go through (ice cavern, Gerudo fortress) but it's not bad.
- If you do ONLY the story stuff MM is a very short game: make sure to experience plenty of the side stuff that's there. Do note that because of the Groundhog Day bullshit you almost need a guide to get shit done here, and you'll miss out if you don't finish the game with all the masks. Spoiler: slot in the bottom right in your masks screen is a special mask you get at the very end of the game if you do the extra minidungeons. Also there's a fuckton of minigames to do.
- WW has sailing that's either fun or the bane of your existence. The Wii U remake is superior to the original, try and get that. Game's short but there's quite a bit of side stuff to see, and there are plenty of charming characters to meet.
- TP starts out as molasses and frequently opens the break 'chute on you with mandatory gathering sections, but the dungeons are a lot of fun. Overworld's not very interesting though, and the day/night cycle is a bit to get around.
- SS is a lot of story bullshit and the dungeons aren't as good as in the rest of the series. If you want pure gameplay do this one last.

First two are the easiest to yo-ho-ho as well, just so you know.

DragoFireheart

the Wii Version

The Gamecube version is infinitely superior. Perhaps this is why I enjoyed it more than some other people that have played TP.

- If you do ONLY the story stuff MM is a very short game: make sure to experience plenty of the side stuff that's there. Do note that because of the Groundhog Day bullshit you almost need a guide to get shit done here, and you'll miss out if you don't finish the game with all the masks. Spoiler: slot in the bottom right in your masks screen is a special mask you get at the very end of the game if you do the extra minidungeons. Also there's a fuckton of minigames to do.

You don't need a guide, just make liberal use of the bomber notebook.

- TP starts out as molasses and frequently opens the break 'chute on you with mandatory gathering sections, but the dungeons are a lot of fun. Overworld's not very interesting though, and the day/night cycle is a bit to get around.
- SS is a lot of story bullshit and the dungeons aren't as good as in the rest of the series. If you want pure gameplay do this one last.

Tp does have a slow start and that's a bad thing, but thankfully once you get past the long intro the game picks up and continues to get mostly better from there.

Everything you said about SS is correct. Easily the weakest of the series.

Absalom

I'd buy it if it was a Majora's Mask edition 3DS, but a figure? Eh...

Ocarina of Time then Majora's Mask if you liked OoT. MM is superior in nearly all aspects, so it can make OoT feel kinda lacking in comparison even though it's a great game. It's a bit like playing Fallout or Bladders' Gatorade after playing the sequels.

The Oracle games on GB play like sequels to Link's Awakening.

Yeah. Why it would be made for Wii U too?

Free money?

Zelda on handheld = $

Zelda on console = $$$

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

That is a very possible reason. I may give the game another shot, but this time playing the far superior version.

Note that the Gamecube version gives you a camera control via c-stick. Control scheme is similar to Wind Waker.

Avellion

Erudite
I'd buy it if it was a Majora's Mask edition 3DS, but a figure? Eh...

That is the US collectors edition, 50 dollars for the 3DS edition of majoras mask AND the figurine.

NoE made their own collectors edition a while back, which is different from the US offering, and not quite as intriguing.

specedmajora-720x405.jpg

Ocarina of Time then Majora's Mask if you liked OoT. MM is superior in nearly all aspects, so it can make OoT feel kinda lacking in comparison even though it's a great game. It's a bit like playing Fallout or Bladders' Gatorade after playing the sequels.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Avellion

Erudite
One thing I really liked about Majoras Mask were all those hidden details that one could very well miss in a normal playthrough, this was particulary enhanced by the time mechanic. Anyways, just because I can, these are my 3 favorite Zeldas.

A Link To the Past

images

Majora's Mask

hqdefault.jpg

Link's Awakening

link's%20awakening2.jpg

Deal with it. Fallout 2 is a great game but Fallout 1 is better. Fallout 2 is the second best entry in the fallout series, better than New Vegas, better than tactics, and like hell, it certainly beats Fallout 3 and Fallout Brotherhood of Steel (sorry if I reminded you of this game).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom