Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The List of Incline - 2023 Edition

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Alright, here it is! An action RPG fan's totally unasked-for thoughts on (almost) every game on the List, spoilered for your convenience! Though I'm still not through adding stuff, but I've been working on this for a few weeks already, so it's about time I posted.

Archeaelund(WL'd): Sheesh, talk about an ambitious project! Top-down tactical battles, Elder Scrolls-style first-person exploration, and a deep, crunchy CRPG roleplaying system? This game is trying to do a lot of things, so it stands to reason it's only going to do a few of them well, or, worst-case scenario, none at all. It's plain to see that overall asset quality and the no-frills GUI are just two necessary casualties of 4D's ambition. Will they fly too close to the sun? Or give us an experience to be remembered for years to come? As a tack-on, I have to say, I do appreciate the portrait art, particularly the goblin woman with a noticeable bust and deep neckline. It's just enough, neither no austere, nor too lascivious for my tastes. Wishlisted.

Archquest: Barebones is all I have to say about this one. Reminds me of a college student's combination of Runescape and the original Phantasy Star games more than anything. Nothing too interesting here. I do like the massive screenshake when you kill an enemy though.

Broken Roads: Am I happy that someone is aping Disco Elysium? Yes. Am I happy that it's in a neat and (relatively) visually pleasing package? Yes. Am I happy that someone is aping Disco Elysium this hard with scarcely any original input of their own, and replacing the genius Metric system with an alignment system based on cringeworthy philosophical concepts, two of which aren't even legitimate philosophies? Hell no. This looks like derivative goyslop on the level of the dozen or so AA "souls-likes" we've gotten int he past decade, all trying to capture the essence of the original and failing horribly. I can't say I'll even keep my eye on this one. Besides, the narrative lead is a t-

Call of Saregnar: Aww, this looks cute. The HUD icons are a clear love letter to the glory days of Runescape. The photographs of (I assume)friends and family to play the roles of the NPCs is charming, as well. Aside from that, not too much to write home about.

Code of the Savage: What's this? A Fallout-style dark fantasy RPG claiming to be “no-holds-barred” and “potentially offensive”. Geoff Jones is promising much, but showing little, and the indie-quality pixel art isn't doing this game any favors. We'll just have to wait and see.

Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Roleplaying Game (WL'd):

Cyber Knight: Flashpoint

Dark Envoy

FallenGods (WL'd): Oh geez, is there a game more oozing, dripping, and marinating with character on this list more than this one?! The tight and meticulously detailed pixel art and the Norse-inspired GUI say everything that needs to be said. If that wasn't enough to swoon you,the text in the Steam page screenshots should be enough. Easily my favorite game on the List.

Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees

Monomyth

Project Haven

Prometheus Wept

SKALD: Against the Black Pillory (WL'd): OH HELL YES!! This is what I was looking for when I first glanced at this list! An old-school adventure game that not only matches the quality of pixel-art created by the old masters, but surpasses it!

Space Wreck

Stellar Tactics

The Jovian System

The Way of Wrath

Underrail:Infusion

Urban Strife

VTM Bloodlines 2:

WH40kRogue Trader: Erm, a CRPG about one of the earliest and greatest iterations of the 40k universe, made by a developer with a proven track record of good RPG games? Yes, please! Now, the 3D visuals are about 10 years out of date, but who cares about that when the HUD and portrait art is so charming? That Sister of Battle looks so cute!

Zodiac Legion: Fire Emblem-style tactical RPG? Really, not my cup of tea, pass. I will give them some bonus points for the art and that fantastic world map, though.

Hibernaculum: I couldn't find a Steam page for this game, only the official website, that being said, though, I really appreciate the pitch of what the game is trying to do. The pixel art is a bit modern for my taste, but it's still fantastic.

Swords and Sorcery - Sovereign: This art almost looks AI generated... was this made in VN Maker??? Oh, what the heck, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt! The portraits are incredibly charming.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Alright, here it is! An action RPG fan's totally unasked-for thoughts on (almost) every game on the List, spoilered for your convenience! Though I'm still not through adding stuff, but I've been working on this for a few weeks already, so it's about time I posted.

Archeaelund(WL'd): Sheesh, talk about an ambitious project! Top-down tactical battles, Elder Scrolls-style first-person exploration, and a deep, crunchy CRPG roleplaying system? This game is trying to do a lot of things, so it stands to reason it's only going to do a few of them well, or, worst-case scenario, none at all. It's plain to see that overall asset quality and the no-frills GUI are just two necessary casualties of 4D's ambition. Will they fly too close to the sun? Or give us an experience to be remembered for years to come? As a tack-on, I have to say, I do appreciate the portrait art, particularly the goblin woman with a noticeable bust and deep neckline. It's just enough, neither no austere, nor too lascivious for my tastes. Wishlisted.

Archquest: Barebones is all I have to say about this one. Reminds me of a college student's combination of Runescape and the original Phantasy Star games more than anything. Nothing too interesting here. I do like the massive screenshake when you kill an enemy though.

Broken Roads: Am I happy that someone is aping Disco Elysium? Yes. Am I happy that it's in a neat and (relatively) visually pleasing package? Yes. Am I happy that someone is aping Disco Elysium this hard with scarcely any original input of their own, and replacing the genius Metric system with an alignment system based on cringeworthy philosophical concepts, two of which aren't even legitimate philosophies? Hell no. This looks like derivative goyslop on the level of the dozen or so AA "souls-likes" we've gotten int he past decade, all trying to capture the essence of the original and failing horribly. I can't say I'll even keep my eye on this one. Besides, the narrative lead is a t-

Call of Saregnar: Aww, this looks cute. The HUD icons are a clear love letter to the glory days of Runescape. The photographs of (I assume)friends and family to play the roles of the NPCs is charming, as well. Aside from that, not too much to write home about.

Code of the Savage: What's this? A Fallout-style dark fantasy RPG claiming to be “no-holds-barred” and “potentially offensive”. Geoff Jones is promising much, but showing little, and the indie-quality pixel art isn't doing this game any favors. We'll just have to wait and see.

Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Roleplaying Game (WL'd):

Cyber Knight: Flashpoint

Dark Envoy

FallenGods (WL'd): Oh geez, is there a game more oozing, dripping, and marinating with character on this list more than this one?! The tight and meticulously detailed pixel art and the Norse-inspired GUI say everything that needs to be said. If that wasn't enough to swoon you,the text in the Steam page screenshots should be enough. Easily my favorite game on the List.

Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees

Monomyth

Project Haven

Prometheus Wept

SKALD: Against the Black Pillory (WL'd): OH HELL YES!! This is what I was looking for when I first glanced at this list! An old-school adventure game that not only matches the quality of pixel-art created by the old masters, but surpasses it!

Space Wreck

Stellar Tactics

The Jovian System

The Way of Wrath

Underrail:Infusion

Urban Strife

VTM Bloodlines 2:

WH40kRogue Trader: Erm, a CRPG about one of the earliest and greatest iterations of the 40k universe, made by a developer with a proven track record of good RPG games? Yes, please! Now, the 3D visuals are about 10 years out of date, but who cares about that when the HUD and portrait art is so charming? That Sister of Battle looks so cute!

Zodiac Legion: Fire Emblem-style tactical RPG? Really, not my cup of tea, pass. I will give them some bonus points for the art and that fantastic world map, though.

Hibernaculum: I couldn't find a Steam page for this game, only the official website, that being said, though, I really appreciate the pitch of what the game is trying to do. The pixel art is a bit modern for my taste, but it's still fantastic.

Swords and Sorcery - Sovereign: This art almost looks AI generated... was this made in VN Maker??? Oh, what the heck, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt! The portraits are incredibly charming.
This is the worst post I've seen in a while. For the record, Code of the Savage is inspired by ultima 7. It's not "fallout-style". Can't tell if bait.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Any chance that Ostranauts, Menace and Crown Wars: The Black Prince will be added to next years list?
Even if each of those games are somewhat RPG genre adjacent games from proven developers?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Added Kingsvein and MENACE, although of course we won't get a measure of their true popularity in the poll until next year.

Modron

Arcane
In my defense at the time when I had suggested Kingsvein he hadn't pushed it to January 16th yet.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
In 10 years, humanity will live in Metro stations, and you all should incline towards training with real firearms this year.

This is what Skald should have been

Overland.gif

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Waiting for the 2024 incline edition and the 2023 shit year in review. Better be on Monday or sooner. This smelly stinker year is through.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Would recommend people to check out wandering sword if they enjoyed tales of wuxia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom