Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Hellraiser

Arcane
I can't believe it took you guys so long to realize mass effect has fucking shields on the ships. I mean fuck it's not like every fucking mercenary in the bloody galaxy has a personal shield. :decline:

EDIT: A nuke is pretty much useless in space unless it explodes right on top of its target. The EMP is useful but the thermal radiation dissipates in all directions and there is no medium (like air) to create a shock wave.

Stinger

Arcane
Fuck it. My pre-emptive review of ME3:

Did you see the Ashley hospital visit?

It was fucking terrible.

It was pretty bad but at least that one made sense, it was Shepard getting sad over an actual crewmember and one he was potentially involved with. So it's terrible Bioware writing but it's in a scene that at least would've been appropriate. The kid can just fuck off.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just watch from like 2 hours in or so for like 10 min and your brain will try to will itself out of existence.

Also the streamers are fuckwits so you'll have to deal with that

Oh fuck me, everyone hates this kid, why do we have even more scenes of this random no name who nobody gives a shit about? And who the fuck came up with such a horrible idea for a dream sequence?!

awsdksadlkajsdsa

ME3 is more derp than I could imagine. Dare I say it might be even more fucking stupid than Dragon Age 2?

740Bt.png

CROmagnon

Augur
You guys want to know who does the voice of the grandpa telling the story to the kid at the end (around 3:35 mark on the leaked ending video)?

I'll give you a little hint.

220px-Aldrin_Apollo_11_original.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but if true this is the only somewhat cool thing about the whole game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Man, that "second guy on the moon" complex he has is getting really sad.

Still, sure, I like the guy so I guess I'll buy an extra copy just for that.

Kraszu

Prophet
I don't know how any of you could enjoy any of the ME games, it is shitty movie that gets interrupted by a horrible popamole shooter. I couldn't play it for more then 30m (well mostly watching the actual playing was maybe 5m).

ME1 was ok. Synth space music and exploration, but side quest lvl design was bad,because it was very repetitive.
I like also X series and Freespace,so i must be a spacefag

I played ME1 4 years ago and still remember places like Noveria - Huge windows,blizzard, music, characters... CORPORATION THEMED PARANOIA!!

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Side question, what's a good HARDKKKORE sci-fi book that depicts capital ships in spess combat?
In my opinion, the Dread Empire's Fall trilogy by Walter John Williams has the most realistic space combat that I know of. It can be sumarized to capital ships (very nuclear submarine-like) carrying shittons of antimatter missiles and a few fighters. The fighters don't go pew-pew-ing like retards but are used for forward targeting and guidance of groups of already launched missiles. Apart from animatter missiles, there is limited use of beam weaponry for point defense. That's strictly knife-fight range hardware used in the vast majority of situations to defend against incoming missiles that managed to pass through the defending ship's defensive missile screen.

In space combat, I think that everything can be rationalized starting from two budgets: the delta-v (speed variation) bugdet and the delta-T (temperature variation) budget.

delta-v: You can't just senslessly accelerate and decelerate or you'll end up stranded. If you say "..bbbbut nuclear power", the problem with that is that a nuclear reactor can be used to generate electricity, but unlike in the case of a nuclear sub, which can use that electricity to drive a propeller shaft which moves the sub by creating thrust based on the fluid in which the sub operates, in space you are surrounded by void, so the only way to generate thrust is through using an engine that expells reaction mass. That means that you would need to carry that reaction mass onboard and that shit takes space and adds mass to the whole ensemble. The alternative to that is to use a ion drive, which still needs fuel, only much less of it, but offers very little thrust, so it wouldn't make for a great engine for military vessels which would want as much maneuvrability as possible

delta-T: As it has already been discussed, thermal management in space is a bitch because dissipating heat in space is a bitch. That means that you don't want weapon systems that senslessly increase the temperature of your vessels, otherwise you'll roast yourselves alive without the enemy having to do shit but dodge a few of your shots. That means that lasers are out the door (without mentioning the whole beam coherence issue and thermal management issues, there are targetting issues and the fact that, unlike what you see in movies, you would need to keep that beam on the same spot of the target for a while in order to get a result, which is quite difficult at the ranges involved in space and taking into account the fact that the enemy will be maneuvering like crazy in order not to allow you to do that), mass drivers are out the door (because accelerating that slug using a rail gun or coil gun also generates massive amounts of heat. The ship may become uninhabitable after a dozen shots, if not less). That leaves missiles. Missiles can be free to fire (from a delta-T standpoint) and they have the added benefit of being able to maneuver in order to home in on the target. Put a nuclear (if you don't have antimatter) warhead on them and watch the fireworks. The thing with nuclear blasts is that even without the shockwave (because, as Hellraiser was saying previously, you can't have a shockwave without air), you still have thermal and, more importantly, electromagnetic radiation which can fuck up your day even without a direct hit.

So, at this point, the big arsenal-ship-like capitals ships combined with fast and small human-crewed ships for better intel, targeting and guidance of the missiles plus a LOT of missiles seems to me like the best combination. The missiles are, of course, completely automatic, the recce ships can have even just on human crew member and the arsenal ships can have bigger, but still relatively small crews by using automation as much as possible. From this point on, you can start improving on the various parts of the system. For example, you can look into quantum entanglement communication devices between the arsenal ships and the recce ships, so that you eliminate the delays inherent the ranges involved in space warfare. You can improve the missiles so that they work like loitering munitions. This way, you can fire them ahead of time and just let them out there like a minefield that keeps an eye out for intruders. If someone tries to approach, they first communicate that to their controlling arsenal ship or recce ship and then they swarm the intruder or hold back depending on their programming and/or newly received commands.

The concept of stealth is ridiculous in space. Even if you can manage some EM spectrum stealth, you can't get thermal stealth. The concept of cryogenically lowering the temperature of the outer shell of the ship is ridiculous because cryogenics need massive amounts of energy which requires significant power generation capabiliies and we end back to the fact that you would turn the inside of the ship in a steamer very quickly by doing that.

Also, the concept of formation combat is retarded. One nuclear (antimatter) missile can take out a whole chunk of a fleet that is grouped in a tight formation. You would have better chances by using at least a loose formation. Better, there should not be any discernable formation a all. You should spread out your fleet and coordinate your attack so that your fleet hits the enemy simultaneously from multiple sides (and please, please try to remember that space is 3D, so think in 3 dimensions. This isn't Gettysburg or Verdun).

Kraszu

Prophet
ME series is better than anything Piranha Bytes have ever shit out. :smug:

What did you like the most? Shooting enemies while standing behind cover, guessing what Shepard will actually say after you choose part of the dialogue or romances?

Wow,lost in edit.
Anyway i've got warm feeling on ME1,because i was young and full of life,now i probably just quit in the middle.
Kraszu
In Me1 i never hide behind cover it is possible not to do that, if you're good sniper with Rosenkov sniper rifle.:smug:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No small wonder that ME games thrive, if even the brightest and the best minds (heh heh) of RPGCodex cannot grasp the basics of physics.

Why doesn't anyone have the balls to try something different when it comes to space combat? I liked LotGH's combat not because it was overly realistic, but because it focused on firing missiles from extreme distances, fleet positioning, detecting enemy fleets and manoeuvring your ships. Laser point defences and fighters were the desperate last minute measures that made it all go hell.

Something like M. John Harrison's Light would be a fresh breath. Smaller, corvette sized crafts battling in 16 dimensional space (13 spatial and 3 temporal dimensions). Combat is resolved in microseconds.

What did you like the most? Shooting enemies while standing behind cover, guessing what Shepard will actually say after you choose part of the dialogue or romances?

well i liked in me series that i could play the game on launch day not like that huge broken turd called gothic 3:troll: . even with high derpness level that was always present in mass effects they are less painfull to play/watch lp than anything from pb. and i dont give a flying fuck about community patches.

pb cannot into story/quests/characters/animations/dialogues. graphics/music/freedom of exploration is just not enough in g3.

well i liked in me series that i could play the game on launch day not like that huge broken turd called gothic 3:troll: . even with high derpness level that was always present in mass effects they are less painfull to play/watch lp than anything from pb. and i dont give a flying fuck about community patches.

pb cannot into story/quests/characters/animations/dialogues. graphics/music/freedom of exploration is just not enough in g3.

I couldn't actually play ME1 for months (and I bought it about a year after release) due to Biowarez' shitty teknikal expertise. They eventually released a patch (about 18 months after release) that fixed it. About six months later, they released another patch that fixed another bunch of game-breaking bugs. Biodrones hailed this as evidence of their master's unwavering support for PC gaming :lol:
:what:was that a hardware problem? still i take developers patch over any cp:troll: . and gothic 3 without cp is just unplayable.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Shepurd is so traumatized by that emushonal moment when that kid died in the intro that he even dreams about him.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Side question, what's a good HARDKKKORE sci-fi book that depicts capital ships in spess combat?
In my opinion, the Dread Empire's Fall trilogy by Walter John Williams has the most realistic space combat that I know of. It can be sumarized to capital ships (very nuclear submarine-like) carrying shittons of antimatter missiles and a few fighters. The fighters don't go pew-pew-ing like retards but are used for forward targeting and guidance of groups of already launched missiles. Apart from animatter missiles, there is limited use of beam weaponry for point defense. That's strictly knife-fight range hardware used in the vast majority of situations to defend against incoming missiles that managed to pass through the defending ship's defensive missile screen.

In space combat, I think that everything can be rationalized starting from two budgets: the delta-v (speed variation) bugdet and the delta-T (temperature variation) budget.

delta-v: You can't just senslessly accelerate and decelerate or you'll end up stranded. If you say "..bbbbut nuclear power", the problem with that is that a nuclear reactor can be used to generate electricity, but unlike in the case of a nuclear sub, which can use that electricity to drive a propeller shaft which moves the sub by creating thrust based on the fluid in which the sub operates, in space you are surrounded by void, so the only way to generate thrust is through using an engine that expells reaction mass. That means that you would need to carry that reaction mass onboard and that shit takes space and adds mass to the whole ensemble. The alternative to that is to use a ion drive, which still needs fuel, only much less of it, but offers very little thrust, so it wouldn't make for a great engine for military vessels which would want as much maneuvrability as possible

delta-T: As it has already been discussed, thermal management in space is a bitch because dissipating heat in space is a bitch. That means that you don't want weapon systems that senslessly increase the temperature of your vessels, otherwise you'll roast yourselves alive without the enemy having to do shit but dodge a few of your shots. That means that lasers are out the door (without mentioning the whole beam coherence issue and thermal management issues, there are targetting issues and the fact that, unlike what you see in movies, you would need to keep that beam on the same spot of the target for a while in order to get a result, which is quite difficult at the ranges involved in space and taking into account the fact that the enemy will be maneuvering like crazy in order not to allow you to do that), mass drivers are out the door (because accelerating that slug using a rail gun or coil gun also generates massive amounts of heat. The ship may become uninhabitable after a dozen shots, if not less). That leaves missiles. Missiles can be free to fire (from a delta-T standpoint) and they have the added benefit of being able to maneuver in order to home in on the target. Put a nuclear (if you don't have antimatter) warhead on them and watch the fireworks. The thing with nuclear blasts is that even without the shockwave (because, as Hellraiser was saying previously, you can't have a shockwave without air), you still have thermal and, more importantly, electromagnetic radiation which can fuck up your day even without a direct hit.

So, at this point, the big arsenal-ship-like capitals ships combined with fast and small human-crewed ships for better intel, targeting and guidance of the missiles plus a LOT of missiles seems to me like the best combination. The missiles are, of course, completely automatic, the recce ships can have even just on human crew member and the arsenal ships can have bigger, but still relatively small crews by using automation as much as possible. From this point on, you can start improving on the various parts of the system. For example, you can look into quantum entanglement communication devices between the arsenal ships and the recce ships, so that you eliminate the delays inherent the ranges involved in space warfare. You can improve the missiles so that they work like loitering munitions. This way, you can fire them ahead of time and just let them out there like a minefield that keeps an eye out for intruders. If someone tries to approach, they first communicate that to their controlling arsenal ship or recce ship and then they swarm the intruder or hold back depending on their programming and/or newly received commands.

The concept of stealth is ridiculous in space. Even if you can manage some EM spectrum stealth, you can't get thermal stealth. The concept of cryogenically lowering the temperature of the outer shell of the ship is ridiculous because cryogenics need massive amounts of energy which requires significant power generation capabiliies and we end back to the fact that you would turn the inside of the ship in a steamer very quickly by doing that.

Also, the concept of formation combat is retarded. One nuclear (antimatter) missile can take out a whole chunk of a fleet that is grouped in a tight formation. You would have better chances by using at least a loose formation. Better, there should not be any discernable formation a all. You should spread out your fleet and coordinate your attack so that your fleet hits the enemy simultaneously from multiple sides (and please, please try to remember that space is 3D, so think in 3 dimensions. This isn't Gettysburg or Verdun).
Fuck it, let's just use Power Rings.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Seeing how Shepard and anyone else in this galaxy has the emotional experience/social skills of a 4 year old child it's only natural for him to be "traumatized" by such an event. :smug:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Shepurd is so traumatized by that emushonal moment when that kid died in the intro that he even dreams about him.

I can't wait for a retexture mod that changes that little kid into this guy:

30huez8.gif

Much better emotional impact if you ask me.

CROmagnon

Augur
:bounce:

Moar!

We need a video of this ASAP and have our troll soldiers post it in the Talimancers thread. The butthurt will be so massive the Earth itself will tilt by 3 degrees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom