Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Chemical lasers with ejectable casings which retain the heat would eliminate most of the cooling issue but add in a lot of complexity.

You mean like thermal clips?

:what:

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity
Regardless of the existence of perfect mirrors, one of the mirrors can't be perfect since it needs to let light through to actually emit the beam.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but 100% reflective material is almost certainly (but not without a shadow of doubt) an oxymoron.

Don't think there are any physical limitations, especially since you merely need to reflect a single specific wavelength, not the entire spectrum. Again, if present day technology is already good enough to bend light around an object to create a cloaking device I'm sure we could do this. There are also precedents like superconduters, which were once thought impossible but turned out to merely require very specific materials at specific temperatures (and we are finding better materials to do it with all the time).

Regardless of the existence of perfect mirrors, one of the mirrors can't be perfect since it needs to let light through to actually emit the beam.

An arbitrarily small section that is only 99% reflective on an would have little detrimental effect statistically.

Again though, no reason to be fancy. Shoot a milligram of antimatter at something 1000 times over (potentially make mini-missiles that are pure antimatter as well). Turns out that you can't plate your ship in antimatter reflectors (at least as far as we know).

There is way too much hard sci-fi talk in this Mass Effect thread.

Mass Effect is hard sci fi, haven't you heard?

MCA
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but 100% reflective material is almost certainly (but not without a shadow of doubt) an oxymoron.

Don't think there are any physical limitations, especially since you merely need to reflect a single specific wavelength, not the entire spectrum. Again, if present day technology is already good enough to bend light around an object to create a cloaking device I'm sure we could do this. There are also precedents like superconduters, which were once thought impossible but turned out to merely require very specific materials at specific temperatures (and we are finding better materials to do it with all the time).

You don't understand. It's about the integrity of the reflective material itself, not just the beam. In this context, a perfect 100% reflective material would be one that doesn't heat / isn't subject to thermal expansion or otherwise deterioration. None of those cool magic things you keep mentioning are exempt from this. And those are the kinds of things that are expansive to produce which makes it all the more important to preserve them as best as possible under operation. There is no magic material that does everything. Everything comes with drawbacks in one form or another.

Superconductivity, for instance, requires cryogenics. Expensive and impractical. It's not like pulling this one feat or another is absolutely out of our reach. Yes, we have the tech. No, it's not replacing resistive conductors en masse in any foreseeable time because, dang, cryogenics, which itself isn't a very common practice to begin with.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There is no magic material that does everything. Everything comes with drawbacks in one form or another.

Which is why Mass Effect is HARD sci-fi RPG because it uses element zero to generate its mass effect to do everything, which actually has the drawback of dark energy/REAPERS, which is expanding to kill the universe!

CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES BITCH. Bioware knows what they're doing.

Black

Arcane
It's hard sci-fi because it makes my dick rock hard. shepards

Comrade Goby

Magister
Omg at 2 hours into the stream I posted a scene even more melodramatic than the fucking kid pops up.

It HAS to be trolling. HAS to be.

Edit: jesus fucking christ about 5 minutes after that an even more melodramatic scene with the same kid again...

Multi-headed Cow

Loaded up Mass Effect 2 again to see if I could press on to the end to have a save for 3. Did Kasumi's loyalty mission. Guards don't notice windows breaking and don't hear gunfire and don't have radios in a super high tech mansion supposedly. Guards do a really loud squealing scream when they die, suspect a bug. Get to end after a bunch of stupid shit happens, anime thief goes anime and flips and sails through the air. Delete Mass Effect 2 and all DLC and lose all interest in even pirating 3.

Fuck it, FUCK IT, I'M OUT. I'LL PLAY A HIGHER CLASS OF VIDEOGAME LIKE DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Loaded up Mass Effect 2 again to see if I could press on to the end to have a save for 3. Did Kasumi's loyalty mission. Guards don't notice windows breaking and don't hear gunfire and don't have radios in a super high tech mansion supposedly. Guards do a really loud squealing scream when they die, suspect a bug. Get to end after a bunch of stupid shit happens, anime thief goes anime and flips and sails through the air. Delete Mass Effect 2 and all DLC and lose all interest in even pirating 3.

Fuck it, FUCK IT, I'M OUT. I'LL PLAY A HIGHER CLASS OF VIDEOGAME LIKE DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

What a coincidence, I did the same thing just yesterday. Pirated all the DLCs, installed the game, trying to get a save for 3. I managed to get up the part where you recruit Mordin and realized the rest of the game was just -> recruit party member -> do loyalty mission, rinse and repeat. Said fuck it and uninstalled. Still going to play ME3 though, just going to grab a save from the net and enjoy the utter cheese, then I'm going to read RK47's LP for all the little sidequests I skipped and which he must complete.

I must've been on drugs the first time I played through ME2 because I remember that I liked it.

Oh Kenji....

Angthoron

Arcane
Omg at 2 hours into the stream I posted a scene even more melodramatic than the fucking kid pops up.

Edit: jesus fucking christ about 5 minutes after that an even more melodramatic scene with the same kid again...
Tell us MOAR, good sir.

Comrade Goby

Magister

Tell us MOAR, good sir.
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingdirectuk/b/310521017

Just watch from like 2 hours in or so for like 10 min and your brain will try to will itself out of existence.

Also the streamers are fuckwits so you'll have to deal with that

Multi-headed Cow

I must've been on drugs the first time I played through ME2 because I remember that I liked it.
Same case for me. I remember my initial thoughts on Mass Effect 1 were mostly negative but I still played it though, and I remember liking Mass Effect 2 even more since I dropped more RPG pretensions and went more shooter. Dunno what the fuck is up. Either my perceptions of decent videogame have changed (Which is possible I guess, more Codex indoctrination of the not-retarded-robot-cancer kind) or something about Mass Effect 2 doesn't translate well to replays. Maybe the dialog, since almost all of it ends up with the same results, and a large amount is just entirely optional exposition. And then the actual gameplay itself is super linear fighting the same mercenaries over and over in a third person cover based shooter system that's clunkier than if you were playing a decent to good shooter.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
ME1 was superior to ME2 in gameplay terms. It felt more like classic gun- running TPP shooter. No retarded enemy waves, covers more like gadget than main gameplay element, ability to fall back, maps with better design (hell, there were even some with alternative routes to objective). ME2 was the most boring railroaded cover shooter. Go forward the corridor, take cover, pop few waves of moles approaching, watch cutscene. I've seen this shit already in Virtua Cop in 1998, and it was way more fun. ME3 won't be better, but I heard they did at least some minor upgrades.

Stinger

Arcane
Just watch from like 2 hours in or so for like 10 min and your brain will try to will itself out of existence.

Oh fuck me, everyone hates this kid, why do we have even more scenes of this random no name who nobody gives a shit about? And who the fuck came up with such a horrible idea for a dream sequence?!

awsdksadlkajsdsa

ME3 is more derp than I could imagine. Dare I say it might be even more fucking stupid than Dragon Age 2?

Kz3r0

Arcane
We shouldn't also forget that, unless we go for a totally AI controlled ships, human crew will require a lot of stuff for their sustenance, meaning air, water, food, sanitary facilities, some recreational space since you can't sit all cramped up for 24/7, and, unless we're talking about insanely advanced miniaturisation, systems providing those will require heck of a lot room so, no matter how hard you will want it, you won't be able to build a fleet consisting entirely of fighters. Now, whether those will be fleets of millennium falcons or imperial destroyers (not that I'm a big SW fans, but at least this way everyone will get the scale) is a big question, but I'll bet on the larger size since the aforementioned facilities are not easily reduced in size (especially since you will need to store quite a lot of provision for a long battle raids) and, on the military ships, you will also want to have some backup versions of them (so one lucky hit of the CO2 recycler would not murder your entire crew), meaning that all of that stuff just won't fit into a smaller size ship.
Nuclear Submarines, already deplored on Earth at the moment have all of this, the only problem is food and water storage, BTW they can recycle water.

Comrade Goby

Magister

Oh fuck me, everyone hates this kid, why do we have even more scenes of this random no name who nobody gives a shit about? And who the fuck came up with such a horrible idea for a dream sequence?!

awsdksadlkajsdsa

ME3 is more derp than I could imagine. Dare I say it might be even more fucking stupid than Dragon Age 2?

Did you see the Ashley hospital visit?

It was fucking terrible.

Black

Arcane
I saw a guy on a stream running around meleeing the shit out of everything, then giant mech went like FUSRODAH from above and he meleed him too.
XTREME SHAPERDS

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
We shouldn't also forget that, unless we go for a totally AI controlled ships, human crew will require a lot of stuff for their sustenance, meaning air, water, food, sanitary facilities, some recreational space since you can't sit all cramped up for 24/7, and, unless we're talking about insanely advanced miniaturisation, systems providing those will require heck of a lot room so, no matter how hard you will want it, you won't be able to build a fleet consisting entirely of fighters. Now, whether those will be fleets of millennium falcons or imperial destroyers (not that I'm a big SW fans, but at least this way everyone will get the scale) is a big question, but I'll bet on the larger size since the aforementioned facilities are not easily reduced in size (especially since you will need to store quite a lot of provision for a long battle raids) and, on the military ships, you will also want to have some backup versions of them (so one lucky hit of the CO2 recycler would not murder your entire crew), meaning that all of that stuff just won't fit into a smaller size ship.
Nuclear Submarines, already deploted on Earth at the moment have all of this, the only problem is food and water storage, BTW they can recycle water.
BTW nuclear things. Isn't the most sensible way of killing each other in space to use missiles armed with nuclear warheads + proximity sensors? Then such combat would look like submarine vs cruiser. Even if projectile misses the target, the wave (not shock, maybe thermal or sth) does some damage. And defense- a cloud of probes dispersed on great distance, in order to detect where the death will come from, connected with some intercepting weapons. Now, that would be HARD.
As for ME, it's strange there don't exist ANY weapon of mass destruction, except of good ole nukes nobody uses, just some pew pew with gauss cannons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom