Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

racofer

Thread Incliner
The Reapers don't even seem all that powerful. It takes the one who humps that ship quite a while to destroy it.

One of them gets killed by a tresher maw too. Epic.
Creatures that I killed on foot in ME1 because of the extra XP. :lol:

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
To quote an Italian reviewer of Jersey Shore, “When I see this, I wonder whether Osama Bin Laden had a point.”

How can anyone fall for anything these reviewers say at this point? Has no on noticed that each big release becomes the next "best game ever"?

Project: Eternity
I kept wondering how the hell the organics were planning to even damage a single Reaper in ME3 since an entire fleet concentrating on a single one of them couldn't even scratch it in ME1 end battle (until Shepard collar-grabbed it basically). Apparently Bioware is going with the "fuck it, if it looks AWESOME just let it slide" approach to this judging from the endgame video.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It looks like they were going for "rule of cool" with the ground reapers too. The fuck would a race of ships that hangs out in intergalactic space be doing with ground variants?

MCA
It's HARD sci-fi, mang, which is ALL about the CHARACTERS. It's not your typical sci-fi with boring details on why something can or can not happen. It's ALL about the STORY. If I wanted to worry about how something works, I'd read a technical manual, not play a HARD sci-fi game. So if you can't handle some HARD sci fi, nobody is forcing you to play it. Go enjoy reading technical manuals. Geez.

I kept wondering how the hell the organics were planning to even damage a single Reaper in ME3 since an entire fleet concentrating on a single one of them couldn't even scratch it in ME1 end battle (until Shepard collar-grabbed it basically). Apparently Bioware is going with the "fuck it, if it looks AWESOME just let it slide" approach to this judging from the endgame video.

They were nerfed by the autistic god kid I guess.

Another thing that bothers me is that no-one ever (in eons) attempted to destroy the citadel. That would have killed the reapers for good. It would just take an angry Adhaira and a nuke to blow that shit from the inside.

Kz3r0

Arcane
It's HARD sci-fi, mang, which is ALL about the CHARACTERS. It's not your typical sci-fi with boring details on why something can or can not happen. It's ALL about the STORY. If I wanted to worry about how something works, I'd read a technical manual, not play a HARD sci-fi game. So if you can't handle some HARD sci fi, nobody is forcing you to play it. Go enjoy reading technical manuals. Geez.
I think that you guy don't understand what part of HARD sci-fi is referring to.

well to be honest, once alliance killed sovereign they got reapers technology. thanix canon from me2 is pretty much reapers weapon. from me wiki :

The Thanix Magnetic-Hydrodynamic Weapon is a turian-developed, miniaturized version of the weapon used by Sovereign during its attack on the Citadel

it seems that turians having the biggest star fleet in me universe got also their hands on reapers stuff.

alliance fleet from me 1 against 1000x soveregins= insta death
turians/asari/humans/quarians/geths fleet + reapers technology against 1000xsovereigns = fuck me if i know... draw?

logically isnt it codex?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But are they using that weapon against the reapers? Judging from the videos, they don't, they use standard weapons.

hoopy

Savant
Space warfare wouldn't even be anything like naval or air warfare, so historical accuracy makes no difference.

It'd still be more close to air warfare than that - heavily reliant on mobility, since a bunch of smaller and faster interceptor vessels would punch holes in a capital ship while it'd try to aim. And yeah, sure, you could arm capital ships with fast-tracking turrets and so on, but at the same cost you could probably provide enough firepower to wipe it out and keep most of the force intact.

It's kinda why we don't make giant fucking tanks.
The capital ship would use lasers to destroy the interceptors instantaneously.

Angthoron

Arcane
Space warfare wouldn't even be anything like naval or air warfare, so historical accuracy makes no difference.

It'd still be more close to air warfare than that - heavily reliant on mobility, since a bunch of smaller and faster interceptor vessels would punch holes in a capital ship while it'd try to aim. And yeah, sure, you could arm capital ships with fast-tracking turrets and so on, but at the same cost you could probably provide enough firepower to wipe it out and keep most of the force intact.

Assuming it can track the interceptors fast enough, and there's enough tracking turrets to take out all attackers quickly, sure. Otherwise it shoots down a couple or none at all and then eats all sort of death-related goodness. In any case, this is giving the whole thing way more thought than it deserves - it's just enough to say that whatever the case is, a formation displayed in the trailer is retarded, cap ships or not.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Assuming it can track the interceptors fast enough, and there's enough tracking turrets to take out all attackers quickly, sure. Otherwise it shoots down a couple or none at all and then eats all sort of death-related goodness. In any case, this is giving the whole thing way more thought than it deserves - it's just enough to say that whatever the case is, a formation displayed in the trailer is retarded, cap ships or not.
It doesn't need to track them if it's using lasers. And because of its vastly larger size the power output it can put out will be immense so it doesn't even need to target exactly there, just somewhere around there with its laser, probably at a distance where the interceptors won't even get to notice something started shooting at them. Rules and precedents of terrestrial combat simply would not apply in space combat, so it's silly to get hung up on that.

EDIT: Also, there's two reasons why we don't build giant tanks, and neither of them are because of bombs or bazookas: Gravity and terrain. Neither of which are an issue for giant space battleships.

Stinger

Arcane
Oh fuck me.

Remember when I said that I'd heard about the explanation for the Reapers and it sounded too fucking dumb?

Here's confirmation (ignore the title of the video, it's a misdirect):

The crucible or whatever the fuck it is, is that stupid kid who dies in the beginning. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

(I hope this hasn't already been posted).

Multi-headed Cow

I hope you only see Tali's face when she kills herself by leaping off of a cliff. It zooms in on her mangled and splattered body and you see her face through her broken mask. :bounce:

CROmagnon

Augur
Oh fuck me.

Remember when I said that I'd heard about the explanation for the Reapers and it sounded too fucking dumb?

Here's confirmation:

//

The crucible or whatever the fuck it is, is that stupid kid who dies in the beginning. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

(I hope this hasn't already been posted).

It was posted. Check 5-6 pages back.

But both you and I called it, bro!

Stinger said:
I mean surely "We didn't want people to create a crazy AI so we made one instead" is too fucking stupid even for Bioware?​

Wouldn't count on it. It will be either this or they won't explain it at all. But, we'll see

Stinger

Arcane
God I can't wait to see the pisspoor excuses reviewers come up with to justify enjoying this bullshit and calling it the greatest story ever in video games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom