Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
not very bad piece of internet smartassery, but it is too biodronian

waywardOne

Arcane
I was starting to think I might be able to find some common ground with biodrones after all this time, that maybe the average gamer would suddenly wake up and realize Bioware was churning out mediocre crap year after year, and perhaps they'd demand better and Bioware would be forced to actually put effort into making games again.

I was wrong. There is no common ground. Biodrones are just pissed that the ending was bad, missing the point that the story is fucking stupid, the writing too often dips down into awful, the gameplay is riddled with control issues, and the C&C promised through the entire series is often resolved with a few lines of dialog, or 50 points to your EMS. That's not even a full list of problems, that's just off the top of my head. It seems like nobody outside the Codex even cares about critical analysis of ME3, like except for the ending the game is perfect. I give up. Fuck Bioware and fuck its fanbase.

Reading this made me realize I've seen this before in a completely different genre but same publisher. This is what happened to the Madden (kwa football game franchise) in the mid 00's. On one side you have the intelligent gamers who happen to like football, and there's EA selling the same game with unwanted new stuff and unfixed old stuff year after year. What do the fanboys say? You must suck at the game.

It's funny how both Mass Effect and Dragon Age started their development before EA acquired Bioware, and both of those showed signs of incline, however slight. That they not only fell short (of their potential) but that their successors ranged from mild decline to outright suckage shows just how damaging EA is to everything they touch.

Original Story: BioWare wants your help. No, I'm not talking about your script for a revised ending to Mass Effect 3 (even though the studio would likely take a look at this point). I'm talking about Dragon Age 3. BioWare confirmed today that it is gearing up for its next Dragon Age installment, and it is actively seeking fan input on the direction the franchise should take.
Zero creativity and zero leadership at Bioware. Hard to make a good product with neither of those.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've got some advice for Bioware: ask your writing staff who wants to write the romances for dragon age 3, and then fire everyone who volunteers.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/13/index/10439990

First of all, great work Bioware. Been a fan since the first Neverwinter Nights and will continue to be so, more than ever. More of this at the bottom. Do not change the ending or offer an alternative. Can't post anywhere else because the site won't accept my registration of games. If you can move this to the ME3 forums, great, if you can't it's fine too. Or if someone can post a link to this thread there.

Title says it all. The ending was fine and good. It was far more powerful and awe inspiring than a cliche Hollywood "all is well" ending that some people are crying for. Not all endings are happy, nor should they be. The main point is the power of emotion an ending gives in a story, and an ending like this will be remembered far better than an expectable stereotypic one. ( inb4 sarcastic "yeah because it sucks" comments. )

In essence:

Cliche stereotypic ending where all is well and people get medals in the end with their friends clapping accompanied my fanfares - Yeah okay, saw this coming, it's cool and all, all is well. Feeling slightly heroic.

This ending - Oh my god... so deep, so epic. Much better, even if a bit sad. A more powerful experience.
To Bioware

This game was the greatest entertainment experience for me ever, out of any game, movie, book or other media. It is a masterpiece, and to me it is perfect. Keep up the good work.
:hero: :troll:
(If it's not a troll, I wonder how far the depths of retardation for biodrones could truly go.)

Cipher
The series as a whole is perhaps the greatest example of how every single one of these things is done to perfection, except for one part (and I think you know what part I'm referring to, it's why I'm writing this whole thing). I use the word perfection here in no light matter. I have never read, watched, or felt any narrative to be its equal. I think this is because of the nature of the medium. No where else can you so actively take part in something that has so much immersion, connection, and realism. This is simply it. I would even argue that it is greater then the greatest things ever written. You simply cannot interact (empathize) with a book in the same way you can a video game. I know this is heresy to people of literature, but it is a simple fact. Books can never interact in the same way as a video game can. I would actually like to stop calling them video games, they are way past the definition of a game. I don't know what I'd call them, but many are not games anymore.

Swing low, sweet Jesus.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
For those waiting for Red Letter Media's Mass Effect 3 thing, here's their new series: GAME STATION 2.0!

First episode is Arkham City. Mass Effect 3 to follow?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The series as a whole is perhaps the greatest example of how every single one of these things is done to perfection, except for one part (and I think you know what part I'm referring to, it's why I'm writing this whole thing). I use the word perfection here in no light matter. I have never read, watched, or felt any narrative to be its equal. I think this is because of the nature of the medium. No where else can you so actively take part in something that has so much immersion, connection, and realism. This is simply it. I would even argue that it is greater then the greatest things ever written. You simply cannot interact (empathize) with a book in the same way you can a video game. I know this is heresy to people of literature, but it is a simple fact. Books can never interact in the same way as a video game can. I would actually like to stop calling them video games, they are way past the definition of a game. I don't know what I'd call them, but many are not games anymore.

Swing low, sweet Jesus.
I don't have the same level of disdain for Mass Effect that some people here seem to, but if it is the greatest story that someone has experienced in their life then I can only feel sorry for them.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I've got some advice for Bioware: ask your writing staff who wants to write the romances for dragon age 3, and then fire everyone who volunteers.
I approve.

My Mass Effect 1 review said:
Bioware need to shapen up, fire at least 99,9 percent of its employees and hand out extremely rigorous tests to anyone who wants to join the company. They need to test the writers especially. Preferably by putting a talking hamster up each of their asses so the hamster can report back and tell Bioware “these people are okay, they can work for us, they shit from the correct hole.”

hoopy

Savant
Wow, can someone post that in the spoilers section of Biowares forum? http://www.themetagames.com/2012/03/why-you-enjoy-art-and-one-problem-with.html
This is amazing. He seems to have a very detailed understanding of storytelling, and then he announces that Mass Effect is the greatest story ever told. That's like a mathematician not knowing that 2 + 2 equals 4.

What is up with Game Station? Aside from a few gags ("I love Mario Kart"), it seems like it's just a regular review, but with zero substance and nothing new or interesting to say. Or is that the joke? Anyway, not funny.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
For those waiting for Red Letter Media's Mass Effect 3 thing, here's their new series: GAME STATION 2.0!

There's definitely something off with the review. Maybe not with the reviewing portion itself (though it doesn't cover all the aspects of the game), but the bits that were supposed to be funny, were not.

Angthoron

Arcane

There's definitely something off with the review. Maybe not with the reviewing portion itself (though it doesn't cover all the aspects of the game), but the bits that were supposed to be funny, were not.

I do hope they get better with this, the launch episode is too mild for RLM format.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom