Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
There's definitely something off with the review. Maybe not with the reviewing portion itself (though it doesn't cover all the aspects of the game), but the bits that were supposed to be funny, were not.

It's too much of a speech. The Plinkett reviews have more a a discussion type tone, and Half in the Bag of course is a discussion between two people. Aso, the acting parts are, I won't say "too good", but they'd be funnier if they either were worse or much better.
From the Youtube description it seems that only Rich Evans plays games so Mike and Jay can't give a sounding board to actually create the discussion. Additionally it's also not on the main RedLetterMedia site making me think that this is a C grade side project with the Plinkett and Half in the Bag being the A and B.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Still, I have to say that despite the shortcomings the review was somehow more honest and to the point than the reviews from commercial sites.
I dunno. There was very little actual critique in there - not that Arkham City was a bad game, but I guess I expected more than a features list and "there are too many Riddler trophies".

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, can someone post that in the spoilers section of Biowares forum? http://www.themetagames.com/2012/03/why-you-enjoy-art-and-one-problem-with.html
This person obviously has a solid grasp on the rules for storytelling. Maybe they have a creative writing degree, or something similar. I this just shows that knowing the rules for storytelling and knowing what makes a good story are two different things.

Great article, although it feels like he's just re-treading ground that we've already discussed to death here. And bonus points for using the word blatherskite.

felicity

Scholar
N7 armor dlc for FFXIII-2. :codexisfor:

m_1332356125.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo ‏ @BrianFargo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Off to the the Hunger Games tonight for midnight show. SPOILER ALERT: No Red, Blue or Green ending.

:troll:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I think the pastebin is fake since the writer is trying to be anonymous yet clearly gives away his identity by saying what particular things he did during development.
Actually he's not trying that hard.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...-writer-allegedly-slams-controversial-ending/

Yay, my post was approved. :smug:

Much dick-sucking going on in the comments.

Some serious Biodrone butthurt in the comments there

If this turns out to be really Weekes post I expect more lulz in BSN

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, the ending does take place in London. Here's my rewrite of the ending: The Doctor shows up and helps Shepard beat the reapers, and then invites Shepard and Tali to be his companions, and they leave together to explore space and time.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah, Shamus raged about ME2 as well, he's a bro.

Like I said once, Shamus styles himself as an edgy :obviously: critic, but he's a lot less edgy than he thinks he is.

I think one of the reasons for this is that he's a family man and he really doesn't have time to pour himself into deeper, broader, more hardcore games.
Which means that he focuses a lot of his attention on linear, cinematic first person-type games that can be blazed through quickly and don't require too much "digging into" to get to the point of. For him, those games are the "canon".

And Codexian-type games?...well, they're just something weird from the past that we don't have anymore, and thus they aren't worth thinking about too much.

LoPan

Learned
Perhaps unfairly, Shamus always caught me as being much the same as any other video game journalist: a failed writer who stumbled into the business. Tried reading his novel once and oh dear.

In the second paragraph he pretty much sums it all up:
The truth is, my nitpicking skills are wasted on this, and I don’t have a lot to add to the conversation. I’m writing this mostly to get it off my chest.

If you write that out and still post it on your blog then you have probably come to believe that your opinion is a commodity. He's just another person who writes out his impressions on whatever is news. All you can do is agree with him or not, he's as ruddy useless as an RPS writer.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Well, the ending does take place in London. Here's my rewrite of the ending: The Doctor shows up and helps Shepard beat the reapers, and then invites Shepard and Tali to be his companions, and they leave together to explore space and time.

That would be awesome and better than anything Bioware can come up with:incline:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Real talk: My original concept for Mass Effect 3 was to have all the different races build a ship of their own with unique traits for each ship like the krogan ship is the torso and the turian ship is the right arm cannon and then they combine together and Normandy SR-3 forms the head and you use this wondrous alliance of technology to GRAPPLE THE REAPERS AND PILEDRIVE THEM INTO PLANETS LIKE A 3D BEAT EM UP WITH LASERS AND SHIELDS

and then at the end you meet the reaper queen and she's really hot and you have options like kill or control or put it in

this idea copyright sgc_meltdown EA you know how to reach me

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Real talk: My original concept for Mass Effect 3 was to have all the different races build a ship of their own with unique traits for each ship like the krogan ship is the torso and the turian ship is the right arm cannon and then they combine together and Normandy SR-3 forms the head and you use this wondrous alliance of technology to GRAPPLE THE REAPERS AND PILEDRIVE THEM INTO PLANETS LIKE A 3D BEAT EM UP WITH LASERS AND SHIELDS

and then at the end you meet the reaper queen and she's really hot and you have options like kill or control or put it in

better than anything anyone in this thread has come up with :incline:

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist

Putting it in is the way not only for queen, but also for every fucking one reaper. Didn't Star Wars teach us that the best way to destroy massive spaceships is to do an insertion into proper hole?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
best way to destroy massive spaceships is to do an insertion into proper hole

Star Wars is space fantasy movie, Mass Effect is HARD SCIENCE RPG my panie

one hole destroy move is not complex enough, comboing tentacle squids and dropkicking them into suns is more realistic and better variety of gameplay

also during travel into reaper dimension mighty robot shepard prime should change into giant battleship and dodge reaper danmaku while laying down curtain fire (blue laser if paragon and red plasma if renegade)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
best way to destroy massive spaceships is to do an insertion into proper hole

Star Wars is space fantasy movie, Mass Effect is HARD SCIENCE RPG my panie

one hole destroy move is not complex enough, comboing tentacle squids and dropkicking them into suns is more realistic and better variety of gameplay

also during travel into reaper dimension mighty robot shepard prime should change into giant battleship and dodge reaper danmaku while laying down curtain fire (blue laser if paragon and red plasma if renegade)
Hmmmmmm, all these recent posts remind me of something mentioned before in this thread...

Btw, did it really take us ~100 pages after the first mention of ripping off Gurren Lagann before posting a Gurren Lagann clip?

Oesophagus

Arcane

With voice commentary from the UT announcer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom