Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Kashrlyyk

Scholar
Is this the widdle babby's first RPG, if he's spazzing out over dialogue choices that bring about 'different consequences' like they've never been done before?
Could you please name me another RPG where at the end of a dialogue a crew member has shot another crew member?

And whether you have access to Paragon or Renegade dialogue options depend on your past decisions.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Could you please name me another RPG where at the end of a dialogue a crew member has shot another crew member?

BG2. Viconia and Keldorn attack each other after a conversation, although either of them can win the fight depending on their respective gear/level.

Although for it to be "shot" you'll have to arm viconia with a sling and make sure she has no offensive spells memorized :M

Come to think of it, Anomen and Keldorn will fight each other if anomen fails to gain his knighthood.

Same deal with Edwin and Keldorn (in the underdark) and Edwin and Minsc (after Edwin insults dynaheir). Valygar and Edwin. and Valygar and viconia.

So yeah

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So I have never actually looked at this thread before. Can someone summarize the previous 244 pages for me?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So I have never actually looked at this thread before. Can someone summarize the previous 244 pages for me?
It started with a comment on how BioWare is trying to appeal to the Jersey Shore guido crowd.

Then it moved on to a discussion on how The Old Republic has become a serious failure commercially and a conspiracy on how this forced EA to block unsubscriptions.

Then it started listing 4chan memes on Jennifer Hepler.

Then most of it was a digression on the gradual shift towards gay sex in the Mass Effect games.

hoopy

Savant
A goon said:
Mass Effect is a series where you play as a commander who has relationships with their subordinates, on a ship whose on-board psychologist flirts with you, all while the pilot fucks the ship.

There's a lot of problematic things going on there.
By "problematic" I'm sure he's referring to the patriarchy or something, but it's still a good point.

Angthoron

Arcane
So, BioWare's recent track includes such cult classics as:

The Sinking of TORtanic
The Heplerburg Crash (aka Dragon Age 2)

What's the latest? I'm guessing it's the Challenger Effect?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Bioware should leverage the appeal of both franchises together and create a Dragon Age and Mass Effect crossover event
I believe bioware can use its IPs in a synergistic manner here, and have a compelling epic event that threatens both the world of thedas and the galaxy of mass effect together and everything its fans hold dear

how they might do it is by making Bioware Roleplaying Online
an unique and daring MMO where you can create a Dragon Age or Mass Effect character, and then start out in either the newbie Ferelden or Citadel zone, travelling between each other by means of MASS EFFECT technology or TEVINTER MAGIC.

There are so many options to roleplay here, you can just play each part with that setting's character type or you can take the portal(for small irl fee, powerful magic like this is expensive) and pop darkspawn with your smg or make husks explode by hitting them with sword. Finishing move on geth colossus, shoot singularity at dragon. Of course fighting on different setting is going to be harder, that is because you are not original hero of that setting.

In dragon age server, npcs will be racist towards alien spectre. In mass effect server, they will be xenophobic towards elf warden. See, this is deep hardcore online RPG with difficult choices that are not afraid to punish you or show controversial situations, just like bioware singleplayer games.

I need not elaborate on romance. Your social adult options will be: You can flirt with ANYONE. This is not like cheap videogame Fallout or Icewind Dale where you can attack anyone with damage numbers and get more experience numbers, this is endless possibility of relationships that cannot be simulated with stats.

With both settings together finally you can get double the emotional engagement because you are DOUBLE THE HERO.

This is what Bioware is doing with SW:TOR and ME3 multiplayer: mastering both their skill of complex storytelling and balanced but visceral action for BRO online, the only RPG you can possibly need in the years to come. Now when one setting gets expansion, BOTH Mass Effect and Dragon Age fans will be able to enjoy the content. Making gamers happy is what bioware is all about.

Angthoron

Arcane
Bioware should leverage the appeal of both franchises together and create a Dragon Age and Mass Effect crossover event
I believe bioware can use its IPs in a synergistic manner here, and have a compelling epic event that threatens both the world of thedas and the galaxy of mass effect together and everything its fans hold dear

This sounds like an excellent idea but do you know what could be bester? A BioWare Universe game, with all of BioWare's game settings, characters and themes making an appearance. You could be a Grey Warden battling against Bhaalspawn, or a Specter on a hunt for the ancient artifacts that will awaken a race of master lizards, or KungFu against Shepard's OmniTool in PvP. Finally a question of who would be cooler Chewbakka or Wrex would be solved in a raid where players would have a power to decide the resolution - or choose the Unity ending where Wookies and Krogans would come together in sweet harmony, oh yeah.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
You have good intentions, but those older settings are outdated and unwelcoming. You already get the best hard science fiction and mature dark fantasy together in one place, what more do you want? Adding extra settings would just be filler, and Bioware is not about filler content.

Angthoron

Arcane
What about drow-twilek-asari lesbian group sex? Sir, you must remember core player interests.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
So you basically suggest Bioware should go Might&Magic and make TheDragonAgeSetting yet another planet? It makes a sense. I believe Gayderworld from a cosmological point of view would be a little planet made of shit, full of homosexual retards and therefore spared by Harvesters and avoided by everyone else.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
drow-twilek-asari

remember core player interests

further depth of choice will be addressed with alternate reality race and gender packs

due to balance concerns they will not have special stat boosts or abilities but players will nonetheless enjoy the amount of combinations and therefore roles available

your gender too, is choice

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And whether you have access to Paragon or Renegade dialogue options depend on your past decisions.

If I recall correctly the Paragon/Renegade options are based off how high your Paragon/Renegade score is, not directly tied to any decisions you made in the past.

In that case, it's really just another form of "X points in Y skill unlocks dialogue option Z", or even "X skill unlocks dialogue option Z", which has its roots in PnP and has been seen in many other RPGs since up to and including Age of Decadence.

The particular type we're discussing here would be 'alignment', so 'X points in alignment unlocks dialogue option Z". Pretty sure it's been done as recently as a gazillion NWN modules. There's also dialogue choices you can only make in KoTOR 2 if you're extreme light side/dark side.

But if you're asking for specific Paragon/Renegade options, then no, no other RPG besides Mass Effect has called their alignment a Paragon/Renegade system. One thing you could argue is unique is the interrupt system, though I'm not sure if some adventure games had those before this.

racofer

Thread Incliner
QSqKU.jpg

jIGtp.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom