Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Oesophagus

Arcane
510 pages...

Why are we still talking about this shit series?

Best crpg ever according to mainstream media, this makes us butthurt.

Name another series which has so much funding and a generally sound idea of what it wants to be, and then decides to go full retard. It almost seems deliberate

Either that or the codex secretly loves it

Oesophagus

Arcane
hey, they're both frequently discussed. Good thing the Pillars of Eternity thread has 1K+ pages, or it would be too obvious that the codex enjoys hating more than liking

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
510 pages...
Why are we still talking about this shit series?
For me it's mostly because tibermoon is the lead designer of ME4 and he's is registered on the Codex. Which gives us the slim chance that ME4 may not suck and we at last could have a decent space opera, where aliens are not gone full wh40k and the galaxy filled with diplomacy and intrigue, rather than total and eternal war with humanity.

DraQ

Arcane
It's stupid in any case: they mirror most of human morphology - including face - closely enough to not cause uncanny valley "eww" reaction.
:hearnoevil:

Standard space opera thing. Almost every species in ME is more or less humanoid, you can't really expect Stanisław Lem levels of "alien-ness".
The key word being "more or less" - there is quite a bit of difference between vaguely humanoid Turian or Krogan and Asari who are almost exact duplicates of human females, save for blue skin and hairtacles. And then there are all the non-humanoid species for added contrast.

Deleted member 7219

Also I think this should be posted in this thread from time to time, just to remember:
Karpyshyn wrote the first Mass Effect script and was heavily involved with the second, but quit the Mass Effect team midway through to work on the recently released Star Wars: The Old Republic. Posting on SomethingAwful , he tells a tantalising tale of Dark Energy, species preservation and humanity's unique genetic advantages, touched on at several points in Mass Effect 1 and 2. You might remember Dark Energy from the Haelstrom mission in Mass Effect 2, or from the Arrival DLC. According to various growly internet hintings, it makes the Reapers look about as menacing as a slightly wilted Greek salad.

"The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That's why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME," Karpyshyn wrote.

"The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of its genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread.

If ME3 had been about expanding on that idea and then ultimately ended with it, I think it would have actually been quite good. But they didn't do enough in ME and ME2 to set it up. It would have required all of ME3 to be about dark energy which probably would have pissed off people anyway.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's stupid in any case: they mirror most of human morphology - including face - closely enough to not cause uncanny valley "eww" reaction.

Standard space opera thing. Almost every species in ME is more or less humanoid, you can't really expect Stanisław Lem levels of "alien-ness".
The key word being "more or less" - there is quite a bit of difference between vaguely humanoid Turian or Krogan and Asari who are almost exact duplicates of human females, save for blue skin and hairtacles. And then there are all the non-humanoid species for added contrast.
I'll actually let them get away with this one. Other species are probably going to focus on different parts of the anatomy than humans do when establishing how similar or different someone is to them, so it makes sense that multiple species might be able to find the asari attractive. With humans, it's all about the face. For other species, maybe it's more to do with skin tone and texture, or nonverbal expressions, or whatever. I actually like this because it makes the ME aliens seem a little more alien, rather than just humans in costume.

If ME3 had been about expanding on that idea and then ultimately ended with it, I think it would have actually been quite good. But they didn't do enough in ME and ME2 to set it up. It would have required all of ME3 to be about dark energy which probably would have pissed off people anyway.
In order for the series to actually be good, they would have to go back and make ME2 be about something, rather than being completely pointless to the trilogy at large outside of one DLC. Really, what else could they have done with ME3 after that but make the plot revolve around a giant deus ex machina?

If ME2 was mainly about Shepard finding a way to unite the galaxy and stop the reapers, with a few more hints about dark energy, then ME3 could have actually been about the war with the reapers rather than Shepard running around looking for parts to a magical anti-reaper cannon that somebody found the blueprints for in a closet under a box of comic books. Only then would I be willing to call the series decent, much less good.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Standard space opera thing. Almost every species in ME is more or less humanoid, you can't really expect Stanisław Lem levels of "alien-ness". And really it's not the biggest problem with the series, you probablly wouldn't even notice it if the plot wasn't pants- on-head retarded.
It was actually the very first thing I noticed. The first screenshot I saw of ME after it was announced was of a human and an asari sitting at a bar, and I thought "limitless posibilities with 3D graphics and they deliberately choose to design aliens that look like humans with rubber shit on their heads. This game is going to be dumb."

I was wrong, it turned out to be a lot dumber than that.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, please. Humanoid aliens is the least of ME problems. It could be explained in a myriad ways, something like Reapers leave\prefer\see potential\sexually attracted to humanoid races or shit like this. Explanation of background is not a problem, main plot is.

DraQ

Arcane

I'll actually let them get away with this one. Other species are probably going to focus on different parts of the anatomy than humans do when establishing how similar or different someone is to them, so it makes sense that multiple species might be able to find the asari attractive. With humans, it's all about the face. For other species, maybe it's more to do with skin tone and texture, or nonverbal expressions, or whatever.
So, to summarize:
Humans focus on entire morphology including facial features and allowing almost no margin of error, while for other species it's just overal skin colour or the fact that there are *some* headpendages present.
:gumpyhead:
Sounds legit.

Unwanted

Captain Crusade

Andhaira
Andhaira
The simple lesson I learned from 369 hours of Mass Effect

tell_me_again_about_your_immune_system_by_amrrr-d4oly0h-300x330.jpg

369 hours.

That's nine 40-hour work weeks of time spent in the Mass Effect universe, according to the combined reports of Steam, Origin, and my creaky old Xbox 360. Eighty-six hours went into the original Mass Effect (three playthroughs), 189 hours into Mass Effect 2 (six playthroughs), and 94 hours into Mass Effect 3 (three playthroughs).

Commander Shepard and his crew—sometimes her crew, but we'll get to that—have done plenty of galaxy saving under my control. They fought aliens, robots, clones, politicians, and reporters. They stood united against enemies vast and unknowably timeless. They have, in the words of James T. Kirk, "been through death and life together."

They're my friends.

OK, they're not really my friends; claiming to be buddies with imaginary characters is a little too geeky even for me. The Mass Effect series is not without its flaws, and some are truly Reaper-sized. But it has gripped me like nothing else in the history of video games, and video games and I go back a pretty long way.

As the first anniversary of Mass Effect 3's release approached in early March, I embarked on an epic playthrough of the entire Mass Effect series. My goal was not just to finish all three games but to see if I could actually role-play a character through the series. I wanted to take an angry, win-at-all-costs Commander Shepard and transform him through fire into a caring, compassionate leader who values the means as much as the ends. I found this to be both easier and far, far more difficult than I imagined.

Each game takes at least 30 hours to play properly, so I did a lot of my playing in eight to 10 hour stretches on weekends. My wife is sick of hearing me describe scenes and characters to her, but honestly, as the closing notes of "Farewell and Into the Inevitable" echoed through my headphones, I found myself sadder about the end of the epic three-game playthrough than I expected to be. Mass Effect is just that good, and I want to tell you why. It might not be for the reasons you're expecting.

A note about spoilers: This piece is going to be filled front-to-back with spoilers from all three games. We'll talk about plot arcs and choices, the fates of the characters, and the endings. By the time we're done, we'll have touched on tons of stuff across the entire series. If you haven't played the games but still want to, this will kill a whole lot of the mystery and anticipation. This is your first and only warning!

Infinity and beyond

The Mass Effect universe is that rare thing—a fully-realized science fiction game setting that stands up to the likes of Star Trek or Star Wars. The universe in which the games take place has a rich and complex backstory, and even better, it's not a rich and complex back story that the player has to have info-dumped into his head. This isn't The Old Republic, where you have to read thousands of awful Kevin J. Anderson "Extended Universe" novels and have a working knowledge of the seven prime forms of lightsaber combat to get the most out of the game.

There's depth in the backstory, but it's not the kind of depth that ever compelled me to memorize the game's codex entries. (Do you really need to know that the "First Contact War" between humans and Turians started because humans activated a mass relay in violation of council law and that the war culminated in the siege of Shanxi? No. It's wonderful flavor, but it's not mandatory knowledge.) The world is alive and compellingly real just through dialogue and character actions, without needing endless narration. The first game's opening title crawl essentially says, "This is the future and aliens are real and you are a space soldier. Go." That's enough.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/the-simple-lesson-i-learned-from-369-hours-of-mass-effect/

By the way, I never knew femshep could romance lizard men or other types of aliens. I suppose after faggotry, Bioware now encourages bestiality.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I have a random complaint about the two retarded Mass Effects, although more specifically 3. The ammunition "heat sinks" that are scattered about willy nilly are supposedly universal, but when you recover them you must evenly distribute them among your weapons. Also, the fewer weapons you have, the fewer heat sinks you pickup. That is to say, if you've only got a handgun then picking up ammo gives you one heat sink "magazine" for that one weapon, which in this case allows 12 shots before the cartridge must be ejected, though the amount of shots a heat sink provides varies on a per-weapon basis. Now, if you've got a full loadout of five weapons then picking up ammo gives you a full heat sink "magazine" for every weapon in your inventory: 12 handgun, 6 shotgun, 24 sub-machine gun, 4 sniper rifle, 32 assault rifle (or somethinglikethat).

Sure, we can larp away ammo pickup amount being dependent on weapon loadout with "because coincidence", but that even distribution thing is a different level of retarded.

Why do I still even think about this shit?
Because I come to this thread, that's why!

And why do I come to this thread?
I really am just waiting for bad news regarding the future of this franchise so I can point and laugh.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You'd have to be deranged to want to play Mass Effect 2 even once.
:martini:
Fixed.

Meh, out of the three, ME2 is worth one go

I'd rather say ME1 would be the one. But it really depends on what you prefer:
Cool abilities but shitty cover based shooting with a good story.
or
Okay cover based shooting and okay abilities with a shit story.

The perfect playtrough would be ME1 > Lair of the shadow broker, I'd think.

likaq

Arcane
Cool abilities but shitty cover based shooting with a good story.

Since when "you are chosen one who must save the world from ancient evil that wants to destroy every life in galaxy" is good?

I think the best thing Bioware could do is to scrap the entire Sheptard storyline and just write it off as his brain dying after getting zapped by the beacon in the first game... and then revamp the story but actually hire competent writers this time instead of a bunch of multi cult homo shitheaded l1berals. But they won't 'cause they're too stuck up their own arse to see the gaping truth in front of them, like a rainbow coloured goatse.

Prisoner of Ice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom