Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cool abilities but shitty cover based shooting with a good story.

Since when "you are chosen one who must save the world from ancient evil that wants to destroy every life in galaxy" is good?

Sure tropes are bad, and it would have been better without that, but they pulled it off competently. If you'd said anything about Saren being exposed with an mp3 or sovereign's shields being linked to saren in the end fight you might've had a point.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
ME1's narrative is competent, and pretty much by-the-numbers for Bioware. Without taking the rest of the series into account, the reapers are a decent setup for a sequel and Sovereign is a big enough threat that defeating him feels like a victory. Saren is a passable antagonist, although I feel like he would have been much stronger if he wasn't obviously a villain and that fact was revealed maybe on the mission where you raid his base, because that way it would have been easier to sympathize with him and he would have had more opportunities to sell his viewpoint. As it is, him working with the reapers is obviously a non-option. Anyway, the Bioware 3 act structure is a proven formula for mediocre plots, and it's telling that since they started abandoning it their games have gotten worse and worse. ME1 certainly is more coherent and makes more sense than its sequels.

Also, tropes aren't inherently good or bad, it's all about how they're used.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always feel like saren was supposed to look different before a certain point. Like he was a regular turian, untill the reapers enhanced him with tech. Hence the "what did the reapers do to you" moment that's in there somewhere. And they finished the augmented version, but didn't have the time to go back and create the other model.

I also heard a very plausible theory on the mass effect series. It might have been on here. Someone said that Bioware wasn't expecting Mass Effect to take off like it did, or for a sequel to be made. That's why the reapers are kind of in the background in the first game, it's all about saren. Then suddenly a sequal IS ordered, and they didn't know what to do. Which is why Mass Effect 2 is basically all filler. Although come to think of it Bioware did say it was meant to be a trilogy from the start. Thing is, that would be make it really embarrassingly stupid.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've always preferred ME2 out of the others. Sure, its Collectors and Cerberus plot is fucking awful, but the Dirty Dozen aspect of it is a lot more interesting than anything in ME1, with the recruitment and loyalty quests being some of the best parts of the entire trilogy. Plus, its side quests were actually somewhat decent compared to the shitty copy-and-paste ones of ME1 and the barely existent ones of ME3.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Cool abilities but shitty cover based shooting with a good story.

Since when "you are chosen one who must save the world from ancient evil that wants to destroy every life in galaxy" is good?

Sure tropes are bad, and it would have been better without that, but they pulled it off competently. If you'd said anything about Saren being exposed with an mp3 or sovereign's shields being linked to saren in the end fight you might've had a point.
Except that the worst trope (of what little of ME I actually played) was that no one would listen to Shephard about the Reapers, not because he's a frontlines veteran whatever, but mostly because Shephard found the magic box :retarded: It misses the points like Christians.

Akratus

Patron
That's in the sequal, mostly. Shepard vowes to chase the reapers at the end of me1 and everyone is basically like, ok, sure, go do it. Then suddenly everyone in the galaxy denies that a reaper fucking came in and wrecked their shit, so that bioware could have a spaceparty with bugmen.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That's in the sequal, mostly. Shepard vowes to chase the reapers at the end of me1 and everyone is basically like, ok, sure, go do it. Then suddenly everyone in the galaxy denies that a reaper fucking came in and wrecked their shit, so that bioware could have a spaceparty with bugmen.
Which really made no sense and was completely unnecessary. It would have made for a fine plot for ME2 if it had featured Shepard tasked by the council to investigate the possible reaper threat, and then he'd assemble the team of top operatives to investigate past the mysterious gate that no one has ever returned from. Instead they came up with cerberus and zombie-shepard. :retarded:

DraQ

Arcane
When I first saw a Turian I thought it looked like a human with a mask on.
While Asari look like humans without masks.

Even when naked.

I have a random complaint about the two retarded Mass Effects, although more specifically 3. The ammunition "heat sinks" that are scattered about willy nilly are supposedly universal, but when you recover them you must evenly distribute them among your weapons. Also, the fewer weapons you have, the fewer heat sinks you pickup. That is to say, if you've only got a handgun then picking up ammo gives you one heat sink "magazine" for that one weapon, which in this case allows 12 shots before the cartridge must be ejected, though the amount of shots a heat sink provides varies on a per-weapon basis. Now, if you've got a full loadout of five weapons then picking up ammo gives you a full heat sink "magazine" for every weapon in your inventory: 12 handgun, 6 shotgun, 24 sub-machine gun, 4 sniper rifle, 32 assault rifle (or somethinglikethat).

Sure, we can larp away ammo pickup amount being dependent on weapon loadout with "because coincidence", but that even distribution thing is a different level of retarded.
Gamists designing and balancing gameplay of non abstract games result in retarded gameplay that doesn't make any sense in the context - news at 11.
Instead they came up with cerberus and zombie-pancake-shepard. :retarded:
Enhanced.

racofer

Thread Incliner
In other news: Talented Bioware developers turn every sequel into a more retarded iteration of its predecessor. We will be back after these short messages.

pZ6CIkW.jpg

ytpuiS2.jpg

xSyQEe6.jpg

hSqoJDP.jpg

txNS6uf.jpg

dcTswam.jpg

uu67JQF.jpg

Fm1eNRt.jpg

l0w6jnQ.jpg

7Wvt0IL.jpg

Mass Effect 4 News: BioWare Clears Up Confusion About ME4's Plot In Relation To Commander Shepard's Trilogy?

Fans are patiently waiting for BioWare to release more information about the upcoming "Mass Effect 4", but don't want the game to share the same title as Commander Shepard's trilogy.
According to Eurogamer, BioWare community manager Chris Priestly stated in the company's official forums he believes title should reflect the game.
"To call the next game Mass Effect 4 or ME4 is doing it a disservice and seems to cause a lot of confusion here," Priestly wrote on BioWare's forums. "We have already said that the Commander Shepard trilogy is over and that the next game will not feature him/her. That is the only detail you have on the game. I see people saying 'well, they'll have to pick a canon ending'. No, because the game does not have to come after."
The company has not established a timeline for the upcoming "Mass Effect 4", and reportedly won't have any new information for fans for several months. However, BioWare Montreal boss Yanick Roy has responded to Priestly's comments, hinting the game might take place after Mass Effect 3, according to Eurogamer.
Thinking of the next Mass Effect game as Mass Effect 4 would imply a certain linearity, a straight evolution of the gameplay and story of the first three games. That doesn't mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won't get recognised, but they likely won't be what this new story will focus on.
If you had three games centred around a group of key soldiers in the US army during World War I and then decided to make a game about another group of people during the Second World War, the games could have many points in common and feel true to one another.

Mass Effect 4 : Updated my Journal You've got new Messages at your Private Terminal, Commander confirmed.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not buying into this. The Green ending would be obvious unless they made everyone less glow-in-the-dark via retcons, the Blue ending would necessitate that the Reapers are floating around somewhere, and the Red ending would mean that everything is "normal", but this would require the death of the Geth and more. So I guess that Blue is the new way to go, except the Reapers are now off to fix suns or something so you never see them.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I have a random complaint about the two retarded Mass Effects, although more specifically 3. The ammunition "heat sinks" that are scattered about willy nilly are supposedly universal, but when you recover them you must evenly distribute them among your weapons. Also, the fewer weapons you have, the fewer heat sinks you pickup. That is to say, if you've only got a handgun then picking up ammo gives you one heat sink "magazine" for that one weapon, which in this case allows 12 shots before the cartridge must be ejected, though the amount of shots a heat sink provides varies on a per-weapon basis. Now, if you've got a full loadout of five weapons then picking up ammo gives you a full heat sink "magazine" for every weapon in your inventory: 12 handgun, 6 shotgun, 24 sub-machine gun, 4 sniper rifle, 32 assault rifle (or somethinglikethat).

Sure, we can larp away ammo pickup amount being dependent on weapon loadout with "because coincidence", but that even distribution thing is a different level of retarded.
Gamists designing and balancing gameplay of non abstract games result in retarded gameplay that doesn't make any sense in the context - news at 11.
And when you combine that with endless confined corridors, literal popamole cover shooting, a standard orchestral soundtrack, hurpaderp storytelling, lack of aesthetic, and all the other "streamlining," I can't help but make Butthead face when I hear anyone try to argue the virtues of Mass Effects 2 or 3.

Lhynn

Arcane
but this would require the death of the Geth.
They have already stated that the space magical brat was lying. Apparently only reapers die in the red ending.
I still dont understand it tho, why the fuck did the normandy escape tru the mass relay on the ending, they were orbiting around earth and earth was clearly not affected by the magic wave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom