Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I quit mass effect immediately after I fapped to fucking an alien. I chuckled upon thinking of Captain Kirk and then quit. Never once even reloaded that save.

imweasel

I often find myself criticizing stories for being fucking stupid or illogical. Not for Mass Effect though.
i'm afraid that says more about your lack of knowledge to properly judge or incredible ability to suspend disbelief than it does about mass effect's quality.
The Mass Effect theory in the game is based on the Higgs Mechanism and the Higgs-Boson (which was recently discovered). There is no proof that it is not possible to somehow lower or raise the mass of objects by manipulating the Higgs Field, which is actually theoretically possible. So, it has a lot less to do with suspension of belief, the game uses theories that cannot be disapproved because they don't breach the laws of physics. So, the only people with a lack of knowledge (in physics) is you and Hiver. No need to be butthurt and call a game shit because you can't grasp a simple theory, that cannot be disapproved with our current knowledge.

The ghouls in Fallout though, you really have to promote suspension of disbelief to believe how they are created. i.e. Stick a human in a nuclear reactor and you produce a ghoul. LOL. But I don't mind, it is just a game, and fits together nicely with it's 1950's-esque B movie lore.

So, Fallout is a great game with it's illogical bullshit, but Mass Effect is a shit game, because you consider it to be illogical. Certianly smells like hypocrisy to me.

imweasel
nice imagination you have there. But it only means i am actually correct and you are an ignorant moron who actually doesnt have anything else to say, except that you liked it. Of course. What else, being a stupid superficial moron.
My name is Hiver, anybody who likes a game that I consider to be shit is an ignorant moron and it makes me soooo mad that I have to throw a hissy fit again.

:x

hiver

Hey guise, look - another extremely emotionally engaged newfag dumbfuck is desperately trying to excuse and hide his stupidity... and only makes it even more blatant.

You poor stupid shit... do try to just stating something idiotically stupid a few more times instead of coming up with a single answer about any part of that laughably stupid shit i mentioned. - surely it will work next time!

The Mass Effect theory in the game is based on the Higgs Mechanism and the Higgs-Boson (which was recently discovered). There is no proof that it is not possible to somehow lower or raise the mass of objects by manipulating the Higgs Field, in theory this could possible. So, it has a lot less to do with suspension of belief, it is a theory that might cannot be disapproved because it doesn't breach the laws of physics.
:lol: Who the fuck asked you about mass effect "theory", moron?
haha... you actually think that inventing something idiotic that cannot be directly disproved makes a believable "theory" :lol:
whoahahahaha....

Did you know there are pink elephant galaxies made out of giant pink elephants that are out of the reach of any telescope? You cant disprove that!

Are you capable of understanding that "lowering a mass of an object" has nothing to do with Faster then Light travel - which does break the law of physics?
Are you capable of understanding that nobody ever mentioned that cheap plot-setting crap before you just did? That it isnt really important at all?
While what they did with it and how it was used - IS.

Or do you think youre very smart for just pretending thats an issue?
:lol:

Im not sure which option is more stupid,...

Youre not an ignorant moron just because you like something. Nobody said that so you can stop pretending thats the actual issue, moron. Youre a stupid pathetic human turd because you are ignorant - and a megastupid dumbfuck who desperately tries to hide his stupidity behind blatantly obvious ad hominems and laughable strawman arguments.
Go back to being a cheap shit troll. You dont have the knowledge, IQ or a brain strong enough to lead normal conversation. Let alone anything more demanding.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The Mass Effect theory in the game is based on the Higgs Mechanism and the Higgs-Boson (which was recently discovered). There is no proof that it is not possible to somehow lower or raise the mass of objects by manipulating the Higgs Field, which is actually theoretically possible.
well, no proof or indication aside from the fact that mass is energy and reducing mass would violate the laws of conversation of energy without anything additional. even if you convert the energy to kinetic you still are not theoretically able to propel the object to ftl speeds.. then you have the thing that the higgs mechanic isn't even responsible for most of the mass of a given object, as far as i know.
So, it has a lot less to do with suspension of belief, the game uses theories that cannot be disapproved because they don't breach the laws of physics.
wormholes don't breach the laws of physics know to us. warp drives that work by propelling the space around you rather than yourself or your ship could theoretically be possible. ftl travel by lowering an object's mass is not. ftl communication by quantum entanglement even less so. the bullshit about human genetic diversity is just icing on the top of the cake as is the description of the brightly glowing visible mass relays being cold objects that emit no radiation (such as light).
So, the only people with a lack of knowledge (in physics) is you and Hiver. No need to be butthurt and call a game shit because you can't grasp a simple theory, that cannot be disapproved with our current knowledge.
gods cannot be disproved. that doesn't make gods hard or proper science fiction. science fiction isn't about bullshitting your way through whatever brainfarts you came up with, it's about logically coherent extrapolation from what we currently know.
The ghouls in Fallout though, you really have to promote suspension of disbelief to believe how they are created. i.e. Stick a human in a nuclear reactor and you produce a ghoul. LOL. But I don't mind, it is just a game, and fits together nicely with it's 1950's-esque B movie lore.
good thing its devs didn't try promoting it as hard sf then.

hiver

SuicideBunny
science fiction isn't about bullshitting your way through whatever brainfarts you came up with, it's about logically coherent extrapolation from what we currently know.
I thought id never see the day, on the codex...

Of course, mass brain-defect is not a science fiction. Its a cheap stupid sci-fi pulp space opera. A retarded, idiotic fantasy hiding behind superficial layer of various sci-fi elements just randomly thrown over it. None of which were originally created by bioware or the devs. It was simply stolen, copied from various wiki articles and lifted from various actual science fiction stories and novels.

Of course, maybe the original devs had some other ideas about it, but they got... what... let go?

ftl communication by quantum entanglement even less so.
yeah? how come? save me googling it wiil ya?

aside from the fact that mass is energy and reducing mass would violate the laws of conversation of energy without anything additional.
I figured that mentioning that you would need to input "some" energy into "lowering the mass" would be too complicated for that level of stupidity and ignorance.

warp drives that work by propelling the space around you rather than yourself or your ship could theoretically be possible.
Yup. Even if it actually should be called traveling without moving, not a warp drive but i guess trekies outnumber Duneheads in some circles... the fucks...
It doesnt have anything to do with anything in Mass brain-defect series, though.

Zetor

Arcane
Not that I care about ME one way or the other, but I remember a quote from Chris l'Etoile (ME1 writer, left Bioware halfway through ME2) saying that ME was intended to be "drywall" SF: looks like hard SF as long as you don't lean on it too heavily.

hiver

It never looked like even just SF, let alone anything hard. If the writer said that it only means he is a complete imbecile.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
iO9 had one of their "ask the audience" shits the other day about plot twists that make no sense. Automatic first post was of course that the Reapers were designed to destroy organics to stop them from making robots that destroyed organics (god writing it hurts so much.)

The Bioware Defense Force launched their response attack... "guys, they only culled the most advanced species! So it makes sense!"

In other words Bioware plots are the Special Olympics of science fiction.

DraQ

Arcane
iO9 had one of their "ask the audience" shits the other day about plot twists that make no sense. Automatic first post was of course that the Reapers were designed to destroy organics to stop them from making robots that destroyed organics (god writing it hurts so much.)

The Bioware Defense Force launched their response attack... "guys, they only culled the most advanced species! So it makes sense!"

Biowareans come from a galaxy where reapers regularly cull the most advanced writers.

Jetblack

Literate

You are kidding right? They are not seriously bringing the Reaper story back? Though with news the lead designer is now replaying the trilogy that could make sense. They want to find some nutty justification in the trilogy for carrying on with Reaper threat? If true that would be a scandalous and even worse than they hacked up the end of the series, unnecessarily.

I´m sure they would not stoop so low to bringing Shepard back after all they said at end of ME3.....or would they?

Caim

Arcane

You are kidding right? They are not seriously bringing the Reaper story back? Though with news the lead designer is now replaying the trilogy that could make sense. They want to find some nutty justification in the trilogy for carrying on with Reaper threat? If true that would be a scandalous and even worse than they hacked up the end of the series, unnecessarily.

I´m sure they would not stoop so low to bringing Shepard back after all they said at end of ME3.....or would they?
One of the bros above predicted that the player will be an amnesiac Shepard in ME4.

But that's not true of course, Bioware would never go so far to butcher their previous main characters like that. Right?

Right?

swtor-2012-01-08-02-24-54-181.jpg

:negative:

DeepOcean

Arcane
We are talking about the company that created space Jesus and the retarded space child. What are you thinking? That, at this point, some writer in there has any clue about what his are doing? Bioware writing was always kinda shitty but since Mass Effect it is like the writers had became lunatics that chant: "cocks in our ass is good.". I wouldn't expect anything rational from them.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Not that I care about ME one way or the other, but I remember a quote from Chris l'Etoile (ME1 writer, left Bioware halfway through ME2) saying that ME was intended to be "drywall" SF: looks like hard SF as long as you don't lean on it too heavily.
eh, all fiction is drywall. come at it with more knowledge or understanding than the author has and it crumbles to bits. that's why many authors stick to fantasy and limit their failures to logical fallacies
Thanks for the warning.
farting is used out of combat to bring down obstacles and i think learned by all classes, so good luck avoiding it.
because you cannot transmit classical information through quantum channels at any speed. supposedly.

Angthoron

Arcane

Biowareans come from a galaxy where reapers regularly cull the most advanced writers.
Nah, BioWare is from a synthesis galaxy, where monkies successfully merged with typewriters.

DraQ

Arcane
One of the bros above predicted that the player will be an amnesiac Shepard in ME4.
That was in jest, but it *would* make a hilarious plot 'twist' on BW's part.

Just like dying in the intro?
Precisely.
:martini:

Why don't you appreciate true art and creativity? :?

:troll:

Nah, BioWare is from a synthesis galaxy, where monkies successfully merged with typewriters.
It's called "simthesis".
'coz "simians".
Haha.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Double plot twist: Shepard *was* a Cerberus fake all along, and you play as the "real" Shepard in ME4.

Then I started playing ME3, for a few minutes I hoped that all this shit about reapers attacking Earth is just Shep's dream and that soon she will awake in a prison cell or something, and the real story will begin. It was a stupid idea, but I like it. Would be better than real ME3 anyway.

Lerk

Learned
Double plot twist: Shepard *was* a Cerberus fake all along, and you play as the "real" Shepard in ME4.
:bro:

Seriously, that's inspired. Probably too inspired for Bioware, and even if it did occur to them they'd fuck it up. But kudos regardless. :excellent:

Lhynn

Arcane
Or, whatever planet Dragon Age takes place on turns out to be a world in Mass Effect as well. And then Shepard shows up in his Dragon Age armor and everything starts to get weird.
As it turns out Lhynn was right and we were fools for not believing him. The Indoctrination Theory was correct and Shepard could do nothing to stop the Reapers. When the Crucible was activated it caused a rift in reality which banned The Shepard to Thedas while also causing its recent Fade issues. Cue The Shepard reforming the Inquisition.
Im having a hard time believing youd rather accept that the game makes no sense and that an astronomical number of mistakes were made in the most important part of the trilogy than a simple, easy to follow explanation that makes sense in universe and has more than a couple clues/moments indirectly pointing towards it or referencing it (weak as that may be).

That was about all there was to me discussing that, if that gets me ridiculed so be it. The challenge was to prove me wrong with stuff in game that would make IT impossible. Instead all i got were quotes of some veiled statements from the devs that were probably completely handled by PR.

As to why i call ME1 a RPG as opposed to an ARPG:
well, it is true that without a definition of what an rpg is its pretty much impossible to make an untouchable statement. But i will try to clarify why i believe it is one. In simple terms, because you know this shit.
RPGs have some core elements that never change.

- One of them is statistical character development. The main character, lhynn shepard, grows as he gains experience and even if superficial not all skills were about combat, there were 2 skills that you could improve that would grant you extra dialogue options.
- Itemization. ME featured a mess of an inventory, but at least the mix of gear and mods gave it some depth.
- C&C: This one is not in every rpg, but it is in most, even if it is small or almost meaningles. Even if weak and completely ruined on the sequels you could pick a lot of stuff that had at least some impact in the world, even if it was something you heard. You could lose 2 companions before the end of the game, the first one was in an argument, the second was was deciding over the lives of two people you (presumably) didnt want to sacrifice.

Finally, and what sets it appart from action RPGs is the combat, character skill was more important than player skill, the game made it next to impossible to hit anything that wasnt at point blank with a weapon you werent trained in, Powers for that matter were no available or useless unless you spent points on them.
That and the fact that one of the core mechanics of the game was actually talking, you spent most of your time running and talking. Another bulk of the game was spent exploring.

So thats it.

hiver

farting is used out of combat to bring down obstacles and i think learned by all classes, so good luck avoiding it.
because you cannot transmit classical information through quantum channels at any speed. supposedly.
Well dang it, it seems i will have to google it for more info. I thought it would be the opposite (pending future tech and related quantum physics discoveries).

Also... quantum entangled farts?
There seems to be some sort of idea coming from that direction.

Angthoron

Arcane

Then I started playing ME3, for a few minutes I hoped that all this shit about reapers attacking Earth is just Shep's dream and that soon she will awake in a prison cell or something, and the real story will begin. It was a stupid idea, but I like it. Would be better than real ME3 anyway.
A BioWare/Bethesda cooperation:

You wake up in a space prison. Patrick Stewart walks up to you and tells you about Reapers, his son Martin and a magical amulet a holodisk you must deliver him. On the way, you join various factions not at odds with each others at all, enter portals land on planets with repetitive looks and combat and save the world when a giant spaceship fucks up another giant spaceship. Martin dies but you become the next hero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom