Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
He did, and it was posted about on the Codex. They said they did it to be more inclusive, but that person in question was (of course) not very interestingly written in the first place.

People trying to score points with the SJW groups are a bunch of fucking losers.

racofer

Thread Incliner
"Your family, the Hawkser's, fled Eden Prime during the geth invasion and sought refuge at the Citadel.

Amidst the desolation and chaos caused by the Reaper Wars, you and your family must do whatever is necessary to survive, even it means teaming up with shady characters and getting your hands dirty."

Brought by BiowarEA™, the creators of award winning Dragon Age and Mass Effect series, live the raise to power of Hawkser and immerse yourself in a plot of treachery and political play among powerful factions within the Citadel.

blahblah blah, something along those lines.

Caim

Arcane
He did, and it was posted about on the Codex. They said they did it to be more inclusive, but that person in question was (of course) not very interestingly written in the first place.
People trying to score points with the SJW groups are a bunch of fucking losers.
Inclusiveness only works when what you include is actually worth including. The person they wrote about (male-to-female trans) was treated like Bioware treats all their non-cishet characters: oversexed caricatures who jump from genitals to genitals. Because you know, all LGBTQI folks do that.

Jetblack

Literate
Would it really be asking to much to have a plot similar to Mass Effect 1 without ANY Reapers/Evil Gods/Cthulhu thingys? I liked Saren as a villain.

Playing a special ops space cop/detective was actually kinda fun. Having to save the universe from a great evil one is banal and shit.

I´d like something like that where you have a dynamic and more open galaxy, without being led by the nose through the horrendously linear levels. Also more landable planets for exploration, they could make a cool open world rpg along with clues, lots of detective work, image enahancement finding buried clues etc...and they could still do their Bioware storyline. Hopefully this time they don´t over complicate themselves so much that they have to retire the star of the show at the end of it.

yes i miss Shepard...

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not sure how it's a 1-up over Obsidian since Bioware made Mass Effect...

I was a huge Daggerfall fan, and yes, Mass Effect is a better game.

Ignoring the obvious graphical difference, it has more choices and consequences, more actual dialog, no Wikipedia filler NPCs, FAR less bugs. The only thing it lacks is stats that mean a damn to the plot and an open world you can piss away your life pretending to hike around. In that regard, Daggerfall has it beat hands down. Still, it's a more well put together game. If we start talking about which is the better RPG, we start running into definition of an RPG bullshit that has plagued this forum since I started reading it (Little over 10 years ago? I don't remember when exactly...), so I'm not even touching that. Though all said, Daggerfall was the more original title and I find myself wanting to replay it more than Mass Effect.

Really though, it isn't fair to either game to compare the two, given the differences in time and technology that have enabled Bioware to achieve cinematic graphics and animations that even current Bethesda artists and scripters can only dream of. And it doesn't have much to do with the discussion as Daggerfall Bethesda had actual heart and creativity, rather than the soulless console trash machine modern Bethesda has become.
:0/5: Git gud with trolling, son!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Daggerfall was a unique game. Heck, I even said it was a better experience, but it was buggy as hell, had shit graphics, cookie cutter fedex quests etc. It's a great game and a great experience, but Mass Effect is clearly miles ahead of it in terms of being an actual polished playthrough. Take the rose tinted glasses off for a minute and realize that brilliant though it was, it's an immensely flawed diamond compared to Bioware's near perfectly cut sapphire.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Daggerfall was a unique game. Heck, I even said it was a better experience, but it was buggy as hell, had shit graphics, cookie cutter fedex quests etc. It's a great game and a great experience, but Mass Effect is clearly miles ahead of it in terms of being an actual polished playthrough. Take the rose tinted glasses off for a minute and realize that brilliant though it was, it's an immensely flawed diamond compared to Bioware's near perfectly cut sapphire.

A sapphire is an aluminum oxide crystal, often used to make scratch resistant glass for a watch. The brown thing that is expelled from the anus of an animal or a human is called faeces.

imweasel

A sapphire is an aluminum oxide crystal, often used to make scratch resistant glass for a watch. The brown thing that is expelled from the anus of an animal or a human is called faeces.
Mass Effect = Sapphire, Daggerfall (or anything else Bethesda ever made) = Faeces

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Misconnected

Savant
Daggerfall was a unique game. Heck, I even said it was a better experience, but it was buggy as hell, had shit graphics, cookie cutter fedex quests etc. It's a great game and a great experience, but Mass Effect is clearly miles ahead of it in terms of being an actual polished playthrough.

My memory may be failing me, but didn't it look pretty great when it came out?

Whatever, I kind of agree with you. Yet to me, Mass Effect didn't actually play all that well compared to games with similar gameplay that preceded it. The gameplay involved in the conversation system was underwhelming, to be kind, and the core combat gameplay was kind of mushy, floaty, sluggish and ... Not even up to par with console shooters IMO, with a extremely weak squad system, crap level design, and a couple of minigames that felt completely disconnected from the activities they were supposedly representing, and which simply weren't any fun.

Daggerfall doesn't exactly have outstanding gameplay by today's standards. But at least it wasn't less than mediocre by the standards of its time. OR at least, I didn't think so at the time (though ffs it was buggy).

hiver

Bioware's near perfectly cut sapphire.
:what:

Mass Effect = Sapphire, Daggerfall (or anything else Bethesda ever made) = Faeces

I thought it was meant the other way around since, well... faeces can only be associated with mass defect - since it is utter shit.

imweasel

Bioware's near perfectly cut sapphire.
:what:

I thought it was meant the other way around since, well... faeces can only be associated with mass defect - since it is utter shit.
*shrug*

I like shooters too, and Mass Effect is a pretty good RPG light shooter IMO. Mass Effect 3 is shit though.

Mass Effect is one of the most boring games I've played in my life. It makes WoW play like a drug-fueled rave party. ME2 at least tried to spice things a bit, but you still can't salvage the template.

The thing I found the most baffling about ME1 is how the story wrapped up so soon compared to KOTOR, but still it took an eternity of a snoozefest. This temporal dissonance also manifested in guilt of wasting 10x more time than I did.

Tigranes

Arcane
Mass Effect WAS perfectly cut. A perfectly cut piece of manure where everything interesting has been surgically removed.

hiver

Mass defect 1 was barely a mediocre game. Very lousy arpg - shooter hybrid with more then one facepalm moment. The only thing it had working for it - really - was that it was something new. A sort of novelty - which is where any interest in it originated from.
I played pretty much all shooters myself. Thats not a problem here at all.

The second was so laughably stupid that i deleted the demo actually laughing out loud and the third was - is, such a imbecile pile of utter nonsensical crap that it deserves a special place on the list of all super stupid games ever made.

imweasel

Mass Effect is a solid and very fun game. The combat is diversified, the story is truly scifi-fag and very interesting (at least until they fucked it up in part 3) , great music, decent to good writing, an interesting galaxy with a lot of exploring, decent RPG light mechanics, interesting companions, etc. They are solid games and I like Mass Effect 1 + 2 (not Mass Effect 3) quite a bit.

A true shit game is anything that Bethesda has ever developed. All of Bethesda's games are pristine chunks of pure and refined shit. :)

DeepOcean

Arcane
:hearnoevil:

hiver

Mass Effect is a solid and very fun game. The combat is diversified, the story is truly scifi-fag and very interesting (at least until they fucked it up in part 3) , great music, decent to good writing, an interesting galaxy with a lot of exploring, decent RPG light mechanics, interesting companions, etc. They are solid games and I like Mass Effect 1 + 2 (not Mass Effect 3) quite a bit.

A true shit game is anything that Bethesda has ever developed. All of Bethesda's games are pristine chunks of pure and refined shit. :)
You know, its really not enough just to claim something to make it true.

The combat is mediocre.

The story is mind numbing stupid crap they literally STOLE and then ruined by their ignorance and stupidity - into a laughable stupid shit it is. A nonsensical moronic incoherent turd.
The only one who can claim it was a good story is someone who hasnt read any actual science fiction in his life!
Go fucking check Fred Saberhagen Berserker series and see when the first came out.

They fucked it up in the first game, completely destroyed it in second and then ... the third... i dont even know what the fuck that is.

Music?

Decent writing? like ... what the fucking fuck?
Compared to what? The average codex moron capabilities?

An interesting galaxy?
...fucking :lol:

Lot of... :lol: exploring? Seriously? :lol:

There is no RPG light... that doesnt exist. You just invented it.
Its a fucking Arpg-shooter hybird.

bethesda and biowhore are the same.

imweasel

the story is truly scifi-fag and very interesting
umm, the story is typical fantasy ancient evil awakens drivel with some scifi buzzwords like quantum entanglement thrown in without any understanding.
I often find myself criticizing stories for being fucking stupid or illogical. Not for Mass Effect though.

I could use your argumentation on Fallout too. The story is a typical fantasy save the world drivel with some scifi buzzwords like quantum entanglement thrown in without any understanding.

Black_Willow

Arcane
the story is truly scifi-fag and very interesting
umm, the story is typical fantasy ancient evil awakens drivel with some scifi buzzwords like quantum entanglement thrown in without any understanding.
I often find myself criticizing stories for being fucking stupid or illogical. Not for Mass Effect though.

I could use your argumentation on Fallout too. The story is a typical fantasy save the world drivel with some scifi buzzwords like quantum entanglement thrown in without any understanding.
Where was "quantum entanglement" used in Fallout?

imweasel

@DeepOcean already put me on ignore because I like Mass Effect.

:incline:

You know, its really not enough just to claim something to make it true.

The combat is mediocre.

The story is mind numbing stupid crap they literally STOLE and then ruined by their ignorance and stupidity - into a laughable stupid shit it is. A nonsensical moronic incoherent turd.
The only one who can claim it was a good story is someone who hasnt read any actual science fiction in his life!
Go fucking check Fred Saberhagen Berserker series and see when the first came out.

They fucked it up in the first game, completely destroyed it in second and then ... the third... i dont even know what the fuck that is.

Music?

Decent writing? like ... what the fucking fuck?
Compared to what? The average codex moron capabilities?

An interesting galaxy?
...fucking :lol:

Lot of... :lol: exploring? Seriously? :lol:

There is no RPG light... that doesnt exist. You just invented it.
Its a fucking Arpg-shooter hybird.

bethesda and biowhore are the same.
I like Mass Effect and that is why I like it. No need to argue with you because you disagree... because it has too much alien buttfucking or something. I admit that the alien romance stuff is stupid, it wasn't very hard to avoid though.

hiver

No, youre just someone who is entirely ignorant.

I dont give a fuck what you like or how much you like it. That is completely irrelevant.

Alien romance and buttfucking?
Is that what i wrote in that post you quoted?

How about we discuss the story itslef. At least it main beats eh?
An ancient evil arises - again - this time in completely stolen form of super AIs who go genocidal on galaxy every 50,000 years.

Ever played Freespace?

Why dont you search for Fred Saberhagen on wiki? Why dont you get yourself acquainted with how that branch of science fiction developed further and with examples of other writers handling the same theme?

Why dont you tell me what fucking sense that story had internally in mass defect? The "youre too stupid to understand out greatness" Sovereign spluttered. What came of it?

Why is the whole universe made specifically to show humans as super duper lifeforms without which all other races would simply fall on their asses? How does idiotic simplistic concept of a fucking hero like Shephard align with that?
Why is there a race of only female blue super sexy chicks who only exist to suck the player shriveled ego?

tell me how much it meant for you to "buttfuck" some asari or make them have lesbian secX!?
You played with a female Shep didnt you, you naughty savior of galaxy you :wiggles fingers:

... youre nothing but a declined ignorant who thinks something is good because following sequels were even stupider.

imweasel

No, youre just someone who is entirely ignorant.

I dont give a fuck what you like or how much you like it. That is completely irrelevant.

Alien romance and buttfucking?
Is that what i wrote in that post you quoted?

How about we discuss the story itslef. At least it main beats eh?
An ancient evil arises - again - this time in completely stolen form of super AIs who go genocidal on galaxy every 50,000 years.

Ever played Freespace?

Why dont you search for Fred Saberhagen on wiki? Why dont you get yourself acquainted with how that branch of science fiction developed further and with examples of other writers handling the same theme?

Why dont you tell me what fucking sense that story had internally in mass defect? The "youre too stupid to understand out greatness" Sovereign spluttered. What came of it?

Why is the whole universe made specifically to show humans as super duper lifeforms without which all other races would simply fall on their asses? How does idiotic simplistic concept of a fucking hero like Shephard align with that?
Why is there a race of only female blue super sexy chicks who only exist to suck the player shriveled ego?

tell me how much it meant for you to "buttfuck" some asari or make them have lesbian secX!?
You played with a female Shep didnt you, you naughty savior of galaxy you :wiggles fingers:

... youre nothing but a declined ignorant who thinks something is good because following sequels were even stupider.
Are you pissed because I like Mass Effect, because it is a great game?

:smug:

Your hissy fit is quite amusing BTW.

hiver

imweasel
nice imagination you have there. But it only means i am actually correct and you are an ignorant moron who actually doesnt have anything else to say, except that you liked it. Of course. What else, being a stupid superficial moron.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i'm afraid that says more about your lack of knowledge to properly judge or incredible ability to suspend disbelief than it does about mass effect's quality.
not while leaving "quantum entanglement" or "typical fantasy" in that sentence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom